Install Arc
Options

Modding of STO

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lingg wrote: »
    lol. Sorry bub. Last I checked I'm still living in the United States and The First Amendment was still intact.

This may come as a bit of a shock to you, but the right to free speech only means you can't be arrested for what you say. The folks running a privately owned messageboard are not affiliated with the government and are not bound by the Bill of Rights.

Some light reading for you: http://xkcd.com/1357/
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The First Amendment applies to every citizen of the United States without exclusion.

Forums can be moderated to support the community. Moderation of comments clearly does not violate the First Amendment.

The solitary reason I mentioned the First Amendment was to demonstrate the potential need for those who might be monitoring and/or administrating the user boards and forums in China to consider cultural influences of this individual may have inspired my request and that is in no way is intended to be offensive to those who might not be from my country and understand the intent I have is not to undermine them but to respect them for their product with the understanding of why my culture's values and rules make it acceptable for me to feel entitled to make these suggestions and requests :-)

Now if they ban me or act defensively or offensively for this.

Then clearly there's no respect they have of American culture, where their product is being used, which at this point would be all the motivation i need not to spend any more time or energy using their product!

I'm attempting to explain perspective and be respectful with my request at the same time.

if you don't see it that way.

Then perhaps you should come visit America for yourself and see why we cherish these values.

I did not know California was in China?

My God!!! everyone was up in arms about NK,no one paid attention to China annexing California:eek:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No. I just choose to believe in myself nowadays.

No, you're choosing to lash out to anyone suggesting you concentrate on not being homeless first, ere you want to hack the game. You're obviously very angry about being homeless; which.... is all the more reason to get your priorities straight. You can start doing that by reading the EULA, and understand you're not allowed to mod the game in any way. Period.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    No, you're choosing to lash out to anyone suggesting you concentrate on not being homeless first, ere you want to hack the game. You're obviously very angry about being homeless; which.... is all the more reason to get your priorities straight. You can start doing that by reading the EULA, and understand you're not allowed to mod the game in any way. Period.

Let somebody from Cryptic give him a response; you're not a dev or mod so don't pretend to act like one. We've got enough people getting the book thrown at them around here without you doing it as well.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The First Amendment applies to every citizen of the United States without exclusion.

Forums can be moderated to support the community. Moderation of comments clearly does not violate the First Amendment.

The solitary reason I mentioned the First Amendment was to demonstrate the potential need for those who might be monitoring and/or administrating the user boards and forums in China to consider cultural influences of this individual may have inspired my request and that is in no way is intended to be offensive to those who might not be from my country and understand the intent I have is not to undermine them but to respect them for their product with the understanding of why my culture's values and rules make it acceptable for me to feel entitled to make these suggestions and requests :-)

Now if they ban me or act defensively or offensively for this.

Then clearly there's no respect they have of American culture....

Blah, blah, blah. If you understood *anything* at all, whatoever, you'd know your precious First Amendment does not apply here. This is a privately ownwed forum, buddy: PWE owes you sh*t. They can moderate you, ban you, exclude you, etc., and all with impunity. You are allowed here at their suffrance only. Nothing else. As we all are, btw. If you want your precious Feedom of Speech, go buy your own server and put a forum on it.

And as an American, you'd think you'd understand the concept of private proprety. This is PWE's.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Wasn't the current look of Sector Space originally a mod?
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Let somebody from Cryptic give him a response; you're not a dev or mod so don't pretend to act like one. We've got enough people getting the book thrown at them around here without you doing it as well.

And without you doing it. Physician, heal thyself.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Blah, blah, blah. If you understood *anything* at all, whatoever, you'd know your precious First Amendment does not apply here. This is a privately ownwed forum, buddy: PWE owes you sh*t. They can moderate you, ban you, exclude you, etc., and all with impunity. You are allowed here at their suffrance only. Nothing else. As we all are, btw. If you want your precious Feedom of Speech, go buy your own server and put a forum on it.

And as an American, you'd think you'd understand the concept of private proprety. This is PWE's.

I think you need to apply to be a mod for Cryptic. You'd do so well...Reciting company policy as if you painstakingly memorized it...
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    no. The mod was to (permanently) turn off the display of starlanes(and some other things like sector border signs) in sector space. As-is there's a button that lets you do it. I'm not sure if it's the same since I never tried the mod.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    I think you need to apply to be a mod for Cryptic. You'd do so well...Reciting company policy as if you painstakingly memorized it...

Stop trying to bait me.

Oh, and this has nothing to do with company policy; simply explaining to a deluded American that spouting 'Freedom of Speech!' on a privately owned forum is rather ignorant. He could do it on the EvE Online forums, for example, and be equally ignorant.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There's a lot more going on here besides homelessness.

I would suggest that everybody take a deep breath and think about the situation for a moment.

The OP obviously has 'issues' that have led to his current predicament beyond what he is telling us.

That is his private affair, but should still be taken heavily into account when making snap judgments about his comments.

I had a brother-in-law who ended up in similar circumstances...

He was a NASA engineer/designer on the shuttle program for 27 years until one day, he simply up and disappeared from his apartment in FL.

Took his family two years to find him (was also homeless in CA) and another year to get him to come home.

He finally only relinquished and came back to upstate NY, because his 68 year old, widowed father begged him to come stay in his old bedroom and help with the care and up-keep of the house.

He ended up getting disability benefits and pretty much spending all his time helping to care for his aging father and in front of his computer in his bedroom till he passed on to a better place for him, this past July.

lingg I truly hope you find a way to improve your circumstances.
    Please..., if there is someone from your past who might be looking for you, find a way to let them know you are ok, they deserve that if nothing else.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Yes, one that the person did in about 6 hours of effort, if I remember correctly.

It took Cryptic almost two years.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Stop trying to bait me.

Oh, and this has nothing to do with company policy; simply explaining to a deluded American that spouting 'Freedom of Speech!' on a privately owned forum is rather ignorant. He could do it on the EvE Online forums, for example, and be equally ignorant.

Stop trying to exaggerate what the OP is doing. He didn't commit some heinous crime and we didn't hire you to be neighborhood watchman. He's not hurting anybody and you don't have to go so hard on him because what he says violates the letter of the law, not the spirit. Calm down, take a few deep breaths, and let the higher ups handle this. Is that so hard?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    There's a lot more going on here besides homelessness.

I would suggest that everybody take a deep breath and think about the situation for a moment.

The OP obviously has 'issues' that have led to his current predicament beyond what he is telling us.

That is his private affair, but should still be taken heavily into account when making snap judgments about his comments.

You're right. Probably a good time to bow out for me. :)

My initial comment was really just a rather polite expression of being suprised at someone wanting to mod a game, when his personal life is in such dire condition. All I know is, that if I were homeless (which I can't even fathom), STO would probably be last on my list of things to think about, is all.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    You're right. Probably a good time to bow out for me. :)

My initial comment was really just a rather polite expression of being suprised at someone wanting to mod a game, when his personal life is in such dire condition. All I know is, that if I were homeless (which I can't even fathom), STO would probably last on my list of things to think about, is all.

Not only that, but try to imagine the state of mind he currently finds himself in.

He believes that his only escape from this "reality" is to imagine a better place in a world based on Star Trek and wishes to find that world in any way he can.

I for one will not begrudge him a bit of polite conversation about his desire and though I know what he seeks from Cryptic probably isn't possible, I'm not going to shoot down his dream because it doesn't fit in with societal norms.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I for one will not begrudge him a bit of polite conversation about his desire and though I know what he seeks from Cryptic probably isn't possible, I'm not going to shoot down his dream because it doesn't fit in with societal norms.

'Polite conversation'?! Nearly got my head bitten of, merely for suggesting he not make STO his highest priority. :)

But yeah, I can see how I would be rather triggery around the subject too, in his position. Hope it works out for him. Lords knows we could use someone fixing a thing or two in this game. :P

N.B. I do recall the sector space mod thingy, btw. And yeah, LOL, the guy did it in like 6 hours. Cryptic was not amused.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    -Off topic since this thread has derailed already.

What's going on with your signature, it's shows in one post, and not another?:confused:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    What's going on with your signature, it's shows in one post, and not another?:confused:

I tend to not include it in posts where I'm attempting to be 'serious'.

Most of the time, my interactions with folks around here are light-hearted trivial nonsense.

Occasionally, I find the subject matter to be close to my heart and I'd rather not interject those with the facetious side of my personality.

<shrug>
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I tend to not include it in posts where I'm attempting to be 'serious'.

Most of the time, my interactions with folks around here are light-hearted trivial nonsense.

Occasionally, I find the subject matter to be close to my heart and I'd rather not interject those with the facetious side of my personality.

<shrug>

Ah, I see, didn't even know you could do that
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    englishnodenglishnod Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think Cryptic is kinda missing an opportunity here to be honest.
    how many people would actually be willing to pay zen for a slot that allows you to use custom UI's, maps etc etc.
    i most certainly would!

granted other games have it as a free option cough WoW cough, yes i know we always reference WoW but its true, i would certainly pay for the option to unlock and option to use custom elements of this game.
    The UI is a laggy piece of junk with some insane click delays with it that realldy do need to be looked at.

as for the rest of this subject, i take my hat off to the OP for at the very least asking if he can mod our beloved game to IMPROVE it and i would welcome mods that improve this game, lord knows it could eventually become bigger than WoW (yes i know hoping a bit :p)
    i guess my point is that it only takes small thing like mod-able UI to improve the Quality of Life of this game and players would be happy, granted not all but the little things do matter here.

WAIT WHAT? so the current sector map we have someone made one similar to that in 6 hours? and what we have has taken 2 years?
    and a certain dev was on a podcast boasting it takes 6 months to design a ONE room bridge?
    hmmmm 2 years for a map, 6 months for a bridge O.o pretty sure the map would be the quicker option :p
  • Options
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    WAIT WHAT? so the current sector map we have someone made one similar to that in 6 hours? and what we have has taken 2 years?
    and a certain dev was on a podcast boasting it takes 6 months to design a ONE room bridge?
    hmmmm 2 years for a map, 6 months for a bridge O.o pretty sure the map would be the quicker option :p

It's funny you would mention bridges...

I was part of a modding team for Bridge Commander. We brought several stations, and some rather complex models into that game, most notably the Crystaline entity, and introduced systems such as the Energy Syphon (Much like the skill in STO that sucks power from your enemy and adds it to your own reserves), or randomly appearing wormholes (STO made it into the mix before we released that though).

We always had an easy time with pretty much anything they said could not be done... But bridges... Oh the bridges... The nemesis of any BC modder.

Only a very few people could actually make those, and eventually we had to simply start telling people that if they requested bridges from us, they would be ignored, because they were such a time consuming element.

In STO, they would be worse.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There are so many fascinating characters in the world about us. I attribute it to God's creative genius. I'm glad you exist and have a story to share.

I wish you well, that you find employment that satisfies you.

I pray you stay clean and keep dreaming and that somebody takes a chance
    on your vision.

God bless everyone this Christmas season, and grant us wisdom, mercy, and
    abundant life.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    We shouldn't judge the OP.

Where I live unemployment may be low, but underemployment is astronomically crazy high.

Everyone is working two jobs or more.

I'm lucky, I have the health and stamina to work two very demanding jobs to make my ends meet and provide for my family, for this and the fact that I'm able to put some money away, I am very thankful.

But everyday, the cost of living goes up, while both my companies look for new inventive ways to outsource work and reduce costs/aka employee hours.
    I feel like I'm walking a very thin line myself.

It wouldn't take much to push me over the edge, a health issue, for instance.

I think I understand the OP. It's about distraction and working on something that brings him joy, when there isn't much joy to be had at the moment. You can't grovel around looking for work 24/7, and everyone needs to do something enjoyable once in a while, otherwise you might walk off a cliff.

Sadly, I have nothing to offer this discussion in making the OP's proposal a reality. :( Other than the belief that he'd be good at it. I wish Cryptic would let him do it.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    edited December 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »

Yep, I recognized him immediately... that's way I was treading lightly.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yep, I recognized him immediately... that's way I was treading lightly.

Wow. He should take Taco up on his offer then. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Agreed, it doesn't get much better than that.

Seems like his issues with getting a job seem to be attitude though. If that's the case (notice in the previous thread his caveat) then Cryptic wouldn't be interested. They just want drones and Taco :)
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    Agreed, it doesn't get much better than that.

Seems like his issues with getting a job seem to be attitude though. If that's the case (notice in the previous thread his caveat) then Cryptic wouldn't be interested. They just want drones and Taco :)

Guess bluegeek was right. I was wrong to tell the OP what to do in the first place; but, dangit, were it me, I'd take the job, with both hands, and have myself a Merry Xmas, after all! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Well OP said :
    I can't. It's difficult to explain why, it would take a detailed conversation of Quantum Mechanics and a theory I am forming regarding alternate realities and their influences on internet communications to explain the funky things I am observing. Clearly a convoluted and partially sanity-questioning conversation, but the net result is always the same.
    So it seems he can't. And since Cryptic (just like any other, mind you) won't accept someone working for free for them....

I know I would have taken Taco offer. If only for the donuts. Unfortunately, I can't code anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    Well OP said :

So it seems he can't. And since Cryptic (just like any other, mind you) won't accept someone working for free for them....

And I respect that. Too bad, though, as it seems (judging by the other thread) he could certainly contribute good stuff.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.