test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does anyone at Cryptic or PWE remember Star Trek?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
No where in my gaming life have I ever seen the message of a source material so lost on a group responsible for it's care.. Does anyone remember that Star Trek is supposed to be about advancing humanity to a step above what it was before?? Was that not the message of the whole of Star Trek?? Has it all regressed so far the message can't be saved here in this virtual world anymore? CBS Should be ashamed of themselves as well for letting this storied franchise degrade so far in general.. Is there no one out there that cares about Star Trek anymore?

I mean really.. I guess when you fear to say what you really mean somewhere I guess it finally does cease to become worth trying to communicate it because they obviously don't care enough to hear it..
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Art as expression, not just market campaigns...
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    What? Star trek was about making out with hot aliens then judo chopping the uncooperative ones. Also evil twins with goatees. :P
  • Options
    cervantxcervantx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well they remember the ferengis lol

And the cardassian dictatorial behavior.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/7dY4yCA.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    GG Cryptic.

dnirg eht nioj
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They remember that delta rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Was that not the message of the whole of Star Trek?

Actually, no it wasn't. What message was there about advancing humanity in The Trouble With Tribbles? What about during the Dominion War? Dividians in the 19th century, star-killing space Ameobas, rogue holo-novels, Quark's business schemes?. There's a lot in Star Trek that falls within the conventional boundaries of popular action sci-fi with only the rhetoric [at times] distinguishing it from Flash Gordon and Star Wars.

If you really want a product based on the advancement of humanity over some span of galactic history, read Foundation. If you want space battles, gun fights, and a bit of the aforementioned, watch star trek. Its about the future, but there's a lot of other stuff in there as well that serviced the genre and format in which the product was produced (which also describes STO. Beneath the saturday morning cartoon villains and action-gameplay there's still the setting.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That "Ideal" is just a kernel of what Star Trek is...

And just like everything else in the world, it means Many Different Things to Many Different People.

The fact that it just brings many different folks together to discuss this, is important also.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Actually, no it wasn't. What message was there about advancing humanity in The Trouble With Tribbles? What about during the Dominion War? Dividians in the 19th century, star-killing space Ameobas, rogue holo-novels, Quark's business schemes?. There's a lot in Star Trek that falls within the conventional boundaries of popular action sci-fi with only the rhetoric [at times] distinguishing it from Flash Gordon and Star Wars.

And space TRIBBLE. Don't forget that not one, not two, but three different Trek series had episodes about space TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    And space TRIBBLE. Don't forget that not one, not two, but three different Trek series had episodes about space TRIBBLE.

Indeed. There's so many hands and so many productions of "Star Trek" that you can't pull a single ethos from the franchise. Is it about a positive and optimistic view of the future? Well, DS9 says a LOT against that. What about a qualified view that optimism will eventually prevail? But TNG and TOS both try to argue for its immediate value. Character drama with only a sci-fi back drop? You might get that from VOY but TOS often deals direclty with sci-fi concepts. And even within these generalizations you have exceptions where you could argue one way from one show but counter that with what happens in the very next episode (most notably in TNG season 1).

What you can say is that there is SOME discussion of the optimistic future of humanity which you can chose to take as the most important aspect of the show. However, though you may prioritize that characteristic you should still be able to recognize that there are other aspects of ST that fit even the most dismissive interpretation of STO (see for example how Picard of all people ended up in a brawl with the villian in every TNG movie).
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's sort of interesting how before STO came about I didn't hate DS9.. But damned if it hasn't made me change my mind.. Anyway..

The true, deeper meaning of this thread has clearly been lost already or maybe the needed amount of subtlety to get it across without repercussions was too much considering the heated climate of the forums on this sad evening.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    It's sort of interesting how before STO came about I didn't hate DS9.. But damned if it hasn't made me change my mind.. Anyway..

The true, deeper meaning of this thread has clearly been lost already or maybe the needed amount of subtlety to get it across without repercussions was too much considering the heated climate of the forums on this sad evening.

Well I think the point I and a couple of other people are trying to make is that you can't really say with any certainty what Star Trek was about (ie. a positive future) because there's just so many, and so many conflicting, facets of Star Trek that you can't pull out that message except as a broad generalization which STO incidently fits under (there's a lot of combat-oriented gameplay but as with movie fight scenes its a part of the format).

You might complain that STO could easily have more non-combat content that deals directly with questions about life, the universe, and everything considering that 1. we used to have more of that with open diplomacy missions and 2. the format of the game is still as such that we could still have it. But as with for example the Vaadwuar plot arc [pay special attention to the role of alliances and cooperation in putting down heedless military action] those questions are still being asked even if they can be [perhaps too easily] lost in the din of the explosions. Its merely a question of balance.
  • Options
    hakanodatehakanodate Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No where in my gaming life have I ever seen the message of a source material so lost on a group responsible for it's care.. Does anyone remember that Star Trek is supposed to be about advancing humanity to a step above what it was before?? Was that not the message of the whole of Star Trek?? Has it all regressed so far the message can't be saved here in this virtual world anymore? CBS Should be ashamed of themselves as well for letting this storied franchise degrade so far in general.. Is there no one out there that cares about Star Trek anymore?

I mean really.. I guess when you fear to say what you really mean somewhere I guess it finally does cease to become worth trying to communicate it because they obviously don't care enough to hear it..

Whatever do you mean? Does not Cryptic/PWE's iteration of the Star Trek universe perfectly exemplify the following sentiment?:

"A lot has changed in three hundred years. People are no longer obsessed with the accumulation of 'things'. We have eliminated hunger, want, the need for possessions." (Picard, TNG: "The Neutral Zone")

Oh, I can never keep a straight face!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    hakanodate wrote: »
    the need for possessions." (Picard, TNG: "The Neutral Zone")

Then why the hell must he have his own saddle? (TNG: Starship Mine)
  • Options
    varekraithvarekraith Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Star Trek has different meanings for different people.

I actually thought the somewhat utopian view of TOS and TNG were, bluntly, silly. I still enjoyed them, I just don't think we'll ever achieve that. *Dons +1 flamesuit*

Voyager. Eh, had it's ups and downs. A few interesting morality plays, but that's about it.

DS9. I hated it the first two seasons. Truly did. It was hamhanded with the war though. Again, a few interesting moral plays, like Sisko and the Romulans and that episode in the past where Sisko was a writer. Also, utopian view chucked out the airlock. Which kind went to the other extreme. :rolleyes:

Enterprise. Eh. Next!

In short, the series has some interesting things going for it in terms of visions and the like. Not really something I can truly explain well.

I tried. :P
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Sorry. OP. Gene's Ghost Is Only Crying Because He Can't Collect His Cut Of The Profits.

As Noble As The Show Seems, The Creator Was A Money Grubbing Misogynist.
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The OP has a valid point.

So, until another company creates an even-more fantastic game based on the Star Trek universe, we can choose to play (or not play) STO.

Admittedly, I looked at Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous today. The fact PWE Support cannot fix my LTS (Lifetime Subscription) to reward the monthly Zen stipend I"m supposed to get is really unfortunate.

STO is broken in many ways. Too many ways.
  • Options
    isawesomeisntisawesomeisnt Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    Sorry. OP. Gene's Ghost Is Only Crying Because He Can't Collect His Cut Of The Profits.

As Noble As The Show Seems, The Creator Was A Money Grubbing Misogynist.

Thats eretic... well everything was fine tll Abe Simpson got Star Trek cancelled
  • Options
    varekraithvarekraith Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    The OP has a valid point.

So, until another company creates an even-more fantastic game based on the Star Trek universe, we can choose to play (or not play) STO.

Admittedly, I looked at Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous today. The fact PWE Support cannot fix my LTS (Lifetime Subscription) to reward the monthly Zen stipend I"m supposed to get is really unfortunate.

Might pick up Elite on a sale, SC is just too hyped and vague at the moment, I'll wait a bit after actual release and see what it becomes.
    I am looking forward to Limit Theory the most.
  • Options
    bwemobwemo Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well, let's be honest with ourselves because if Cryptic actually did try to make a video game modeled off of Star Trek, it wouldn't really sell. Let's look at the series, disincluding the animated series.

TOS: Similar to the "trek" we're presented in game in terms of "aggression" level. Kirk always beats up the bad guy, and I'd almost bet between TV and the movies Kirk's Enterprises destroyed more other ships than Picards Enterprise.

TNG: No more cowboys in space, all about the diplomacy. Make a game based on TNG, it might as well be text based. There are probably 15 total ship fighting sequences throughout the 6 seasons of TNG. Obviously more in the movies. TNG probably had the -least- action.

DS9: 3 seasons of days of our lives in space, 2 seasons of representing the federation in a more military light, 1 season of absolute last minute ideas. Probably the most action regardless of 3 seasons of a space based soap opera.

Voyager: Without going too into detail about why I think Voyager is the worst of them all, Voyager did a good job of showing an actual Trek across the Stars. Voyager, as a plot device, would be the superior of a 4 to base a video game off of. It has a good mix of action and "diplomacy" but some of the episodes were just off the wall, but this isn't about the episodes, this is about STO.

So all 4 have some type of level of action throughout the shows, some more than others, but all focus on exploration (be it of space or of something non-corporeal such as ds9 or every day life conflicts dressed up to still be relevant in the far future). If STO was 80% "diplomacy" and 20% action, a good estimate of the split in the actual Star Trek shows, how would you represent that 80% of time in a video game?

Exploration clusters were a pretty good attempt, but lets be honest, they were dull, repetitive and time consuming for little rewards. Combat based STF's always yield more rewards than Diplomacy based Exploration. People play this game to be nerds shooting at other nerds with internet space ships, or borg for the pve crowd. I really can't think of a way to make a "True Trek" game, that doesn't wind up being boring as ****. Cryptic may have a gift-horse in the form of the ST IP allowing them to make decisions, but the truth is, any other company would handle the over all game very similar. Combat > all. Combat sells new ships. Combat sells upgrades. Combat keeps this F2P game F2P and alive for the non-f2p captains.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »

This is sad but very true. I've been playing another MMO for these past 40 days and even decided to sub there and play that game as my primary MMO, a place STO held since 2011.
    There is just a shocking amount of stuff I can take for granted over there that are broken/bugged/tedious here - it's such a sad state of things for this, once great and full of potential, game.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I never understood why people complained about STO being so combat oriented. I haven't played a Star Trek game yet that hasn't been combat oriented.

Starfleet Command
    Bridge Commander
    DS9: The Fallen
    Elite Force
    Armada
    Legacy

I'm sure people would like a game that involves a little more exploration, but why pick on STO when it's no different from plenty of other popular games which came before it? Don't get me wrong either, STO has its fair share of problems and things I would like to see differently. As far as the plot goes however, I actually enjoy it and see no real problem with it.
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    star trek game with the right mix of combat and diplomacy, try the 25th anniversary game........
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't know; this game feels pretty Trek. Almost too Trek. As Feds, we go in, try to negotiate a peaceful resolution, but invariably it just doesn't go that way and we're forced to fight or puzzle our way out.

The only difference is that because of limited NPC scripting, we can't really develop relationships with our crew or our NPC allies/friends (which makes up the rest of Star Trek). Not one of them will be upset we chose to give a bloodthirsty response and order an instant vape instead of negotiating it out as much as possible. Not one Vulcan will speak out about how illogical an entire mission was. Not one Orion will offer to seduce the answers out rather than torturing it out. Not one Republic Romulan will turn against you for choosing to dress like a Tal Shiar (or one TS Romulan agent attempting to backstab you inside an Embassy or New Romulus Command).

So really, this game is as Star Trek as it can be (the combat and puzzle elements); just without the character development and drama that drove plenty of Trek episodes. And it's really down to the lack of actual consequences affecting NPC behavior. Cryptic can't necessarily be blamed for this either; very few MMOs are capable of processing and remembering your character's actions and the consequences it will have in future dialogue and events.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2014
    This game ceased being Star Trek long ago ... if it ever was to begin with.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    leceterleceter Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    cervantx wrote: »
    Well they remember the ferengis lol

And the cardassian dictatorial behavior.

So true, LOL!
    Luckily we only have to buy Zen, not gold plated latinium.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No where in my gaming life have I ever seen the message of a source material so lost on a group responsible for it's care.

I agree.... I sorely wish people like you who comment on these forums about Star Trek had actually ever watched the ****ing show.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Does anyone remember that Star Trek is supposed to be about advancing humanity to a step above what it was before??

Nope, don't remember that all. Remember a few boring episodes where it might have been possible somebody dozed off and had a dream that's what Star Trek was like...but that's all that was - a dream. Star Trek was a Sci-Fi Adventure Marketing Machine...it had no more of a message than GI Joe or Voltron.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It was made to make money. Well its making money right now lol.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Remember that episode when Data opened a lockbox, won a Soverign class ship so they just trashed that under performing Galaxy class? This game is just like that, I remember it all.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel