test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Borg Lockbox in bound?

13»

Comments

• mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Vaadwaur being next as lockbox theme is pretty much a no brainer.
    We already got a very close look at the heavy artillery ship. That one looks very detailed and well designed. Personaly, I can't wait to fly her. I'd even ditch my Bortasqu' for this.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Maybe we'll see renewed/refreshed Cardassian, Temporal, etc. lock boxes BEFORE we see any Borg lockboxes. And likely Vaadwaar, given the art designs shared a couple of months ago.

Or if the Cooperative is set up as a faction (which I think is far more likely than seeing a Gamma Quadrant faction, despite our lead Dev's podcast professed love for DS9), then we will see a "Borg" lockbox.

The fact that Garret Wang (Harry Kim) commented at the recent Creation con in San Francisco (cannot recall if the comment was posted on reddit or here) that he was going to do more voice work for STO. That says Cryptic/PWE is putting more resources into the Delta Quadrant, imho.
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That ship sailed and the shark was jumped with the Undine Bioships being controlled by humanoids!

A very solid point.

But, if we are going to jump the shark - should we not just jump it all the way?

To be fair, there is precedent for a "pilotable" Borg cube in game. One of the patrols, the Kazon have one. If THEY could figure it out, surely my bridge crew could?
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Whilst I don't particularly want to see a Borg lock box, I DO wish that we could FULLY Borg-ify our Liberated Borg playable characters.

I'd love it if they could use the same 'costume' that the liberated Borg C-Store Boff's can use.

Agreed - why not? If Bridge Officers can be Borg'd, why not the Captain?

Personally I think a Borg lockbox is eventually going to happen in some form or another. It makes more sense that we'd be able to control a Borg ship somehow than it does that we're controlling living ships (Undine). That said - I think it's probably a little soon for the lockbox to materialize.
  • luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The anniversary grind, similar to the dyson ship grind but with a co-operative assault against the borg to get rid of them and free the rest of the drones.

You fly a faction/borg hybrid ship which is awesome then at the end get a duff ship with the really good one in the c-store.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I remember waaay back when the DOOM thread first came into existence, and in my first (of many) posts in it I referred to the Borg lockbox.

If it does happen, I will most certainly take credit...not sure if that's good or bad...

I hate to burst your bubble, but the DOOM thread only dates back to Sept. 2013.

Folks around here have been asking for a playable BORG ship since the game debuted back in 2010 when we could get the Liberated BORG playable character from the AMAZON Collectors Edition box.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I demand a box with locked Bajorans
    GwaoHAD.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Yeah - the whole 'playable liberated Borg' feels a bit half-hearted, since the cosmetics are so limited.

I would love for my liberated Borg to look more like the BOFF C-store liberated Borg.
    they might give us that option, but if they do they'll update the texture to be less.... monochromatic. Probably have some sort of colored highlights that you can change, and a limited ability to change the shade of metal.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    eltatus wrote: »
    Is fantastic like we went from "cryptic you wont take my money" to "I want a new lockbox" thread. And some of the guys that swear that they were going to leave the game are here now crying for a borg lockbox!

LOL..

Well done cryptic..

I for one think Cryptic is missing a big opportunity in sales, if they don't do a Borg lockbox....Hell people would even buy TRIBBLE if you put it in a box
    GwaoHAD.png
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited December 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I for one think Cryptic is missing a big opportunity in sales, if they don't do a Borg lockbox....Hell people would even buy TRIBBLE if you put it in a box

On a serious note, I am sure they are aware how much money a borg lockbox would make. Expect it soon if this Christmas sales are not strong.
  • willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If they ever release a Borg lockbox i hope they don´t put a cube in there. The Orbits around Earth, New Romulus and Qo´nos are already crowded enough with the Sheshars and Scimitars. The last thing we need is another oversized ship and spheres are already large enough
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As cool as a co-op borg box would be, i personally want a vaadwaur lockbox, if only for their weapons and ships, oh and clothing, oh and kit abilities.... ok everything.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm not asking to be Borg, but I would love to be able to use the eyepieces and skin mottling.

Maybe there could be an episode, where you're assimilated and then could unlock the look.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's funny you mention st:ccg I am Not endorsing this by any means,but the first new faction (besides the technical non-allied faction) was the borg in the first contact set even before cardassians,bajorans,and the rest of the lot that came out.

Borg in that game did have a radically different play mechanism and a PvP focus of sorts. Borg didn't attempt missions, right? They could extract points FROM missions as I recall and from assimilating the other player.
    edited December 2014
    they might give us that option, but if they do they'll update the texture to be less.... monochromatic. Probably have some sort of colored highlights that you can change, and a limited ability to change the shade of metal.

I would actually like to see Borg get a makeover. I saw some concept art not long ago that showed how the original Borg costumes were put together.

Bodysuit, shoulders, gauntlets, etc.

If they did this and put a focus on the cooperative, they might do something like extend the added customization options (either from a faction or from Lobi) to the Liberated Borg. But the Cooperative might be limited to something like light blue laser sights and required to use a new "partially infected" skintone (with new ones added) whereas the Liberated Borg could display proper red Borg laser sights and added choice of fully infected skintones.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I would actually like to see Borg get a makeover. I saw some concept art not long ago that showed how the original Borg costumes were put together.

If they did this and put a focus on the cooperative, they might do something like extend the added customization options (either from a faction or from Lobi) to the Liberated Borg. But the Cooperative might be limited to something like light blue laser sights and required to use a new "partially infected" skintone (with new ones added) whereas the Liberated Borg could display proper red Borg laser sights and added choice of fully infected skintones.
    The Borg cooperative NPCs have a lot of interesting costume options that are Borg themed. It'd rock if we could get those for players!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited December 2014
    The Borg cooperative NPCs have a lot of interesting costume options that are Borg themed. It'd rock if we could get those for players!

There's an interesting idea possibly in the idea that Lifers could get Assimilated Borg (ie. Liberated Borg) hull textures on Cooperative ships as well.

That would help make for some of the differentiation needed.
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    TBH I don't see the point in a Borg lockbox....

Any anti-Borg weapons you can get via the rep stores. You can even partially Boargify your ship with the assimilated consoles, engines, etc.

Let’s just cut to the chase… you want to captain a Borg ship. Nothing really more. Seeing as a lockbox would offer a 1.1% chance per box of a decent ship drop, are you really sure this is the way you want it to go?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Actually, I'd love to be able to change the color of the eyepiece, as those, who emit the laser-like look only have red option... but I agree, more customizations would be really groovey. Not interested in Borg faction or flying Cubes (Seriously, Cube is the most ugly ship they have anyways), but the 'quality of life' improvements. Such as.. unlocking the Borg cybernetics as a costume unlock for lifers - as that's precisely what they are, given they don't give significant advantages or anything. The full exoplating would be pretty snazzy as well....
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider