test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Winter Event Known Issues - Tides of Ice - Check here for the latest info!

Comments

• Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Q wrote: »
    In order to receive full credit for completing Tides of Ice, a character must participate in all 10 waves of fighting. If a character arrives late and plays through the end of the event, they will not receive completion credit. We are currently looking into changing the number of waves a player must complete in order to receive completion credit. We also will be adding more messaging to announce when a Tides of Ice event is starting, similar to the other events in Q's Winter Wonderland.

We need to "participate" in all 10 waves?

I was there for the entire thing, but only got credit for two waves because my puny snowballs would always be overshadowed by the people with all the toys.

That's not cool.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    You should add the fact that the game keeps crashing since yesterday's patch to the list of issues your 'wonderland' brought with it.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    words

Yeah, sorry, but as far as I'm concerned the new items, AND the Tides of Ice event can go rot. I was looking forward to the winter event this year. I always get a kick out of being able to escape and do seasonal events in game.

This year, after seeing we get a new T6 Breen ship and there would be new clothes and winter weapons as well as cold themed kit modules and the warp/sing cores, I was REALLY looking forward to spending some time away from the 50-60 grind.

Then I find out that the new stuff is locked behind a "participation" time gate and well, my excitement ebbed but I was still going to give it a shot. *I* figured that one run per alt to open the store wasn't that bad a thing so I went and ran it. Went back to the store and nothing new was unlocked so I started searching the forums to find out if I'd done something wrong.

Turns out, I did. I wasn't there for the "entire" event and despite getting rewards at the end, if you aren't there from start to finish, no credit. Then after more searching I found out just how much "participation" was going to be needed for just 1 alt. 5 runs of Tides of Ice per alt to unlock most of the stuff, 10 runs for the warp/sing cores? No account unlock, it's per character? And since the event is only guaranteed to happen once an hour, you want me to spend 10 hours* per alt to earn the privilege to buy the new stuff?

And with that, all excitement I had for this event died.

Okay, it didn't just die, it was murdered. Brutally.

As of right now, I have given up on bothering with just about anything new in this winter event. I will get the new ship for my alts, I'll probably even run the Gingerbread mission on new alts that weren't around last year, but that's it. I refuse to add to your 'metrics' by spending such an inane amount of time getting things that shouldn't be gated, IMO.

The only solutions I see are either making Tides of Ice participation mandatory only once, and if you get any rewards at the end of it, the store unlocks for that alt. Meaning if you show up at wave 10 and do enough to earn even 1 ornament, you unlock the store on that character.

Or making it ONE full run to unlock it per ACCOUNT.

Or better yet, just opening it up with no time/participation gating at all.

The event rewards ornaments, so people would be doing the event regardless to get more of them in order to save up to buy the new items. There is no need to FORCE players into the new content.

Then again, forcing players into doing the "new shiny" seems to be the way things are going here anymore. I'm not going to quit any time soon, but I do see myself playing less than I used to.

*Yes, I know I don't need to stay logged in to the alt to run the event, I can log in when the event comes up. But it does mean that I have to manage my time and can't get into anything that may prevent me going back and getting into the event. Especially considering you currently need to be there from start to finish.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    iamynaught wrote: »
    *Yes, I know I don't need to stay logged in to the alt to run the event, I can log in when the event comes up. But it does mean that I have to manage my time and can't get into anything that may prevent me going back and getting into the event. Especially considering you currently need to be there from start to finish.

Plus the times appear to be borked because at least once last night the Tides of Ice started at the time the Fast and Flurious was supposed to start!

I really am beginning to resent this "carrot & stick" approach that Cryptic is adopting.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Is it safe to assume that if you've gotten any holiday stuff from this mission that it's been logged as completed ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume that if you've gotten any holiday stuff from this mission that it's been logged as completed ?

Nope, you need to be there when Wave 1 begins until Wave 10 ends and the rewards are given out. Simply getting rewards from the event is NOT enough to count as credit, sadly.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    zipatroniczipatronic Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The rewards for the event are pretty lame as well, doing all that work and getting less than a dozen items is really poor.
    And the final reward for completing it is a joke as well 2 or 3 items if your lucky.

I also thought i could do it on 1 toon and unlock items for all my toons but i thought wrong! And to top it off if i wanted to buy items for my other toons i cannot as they are character bound :mad:
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Is there any chance the Tids of Ice completion thing could be made account wide? The fun-only stuff being character bound is fine, I don't have a problem with that at all, why would I want a snow gun for an alt I'm not even playing in the event? Outfits, I could see, but those aren't bound. Complete non-issue.

The gameplay affecting stuff, though... I can bring my alts down for a couple runs, that's no big deal. I have to buy them guns, but again, no big deal, getting 8 of each trinket is simple. But 10 full runs of this on each character I want the warp core for? I'm not sure how often it's the random event, but even if you just rotate through events each hour, that's still a huge time investment. I have four characters, assuming I want to get them all a core, that's a 40 hour timegate if I get to the event in time, if I get credit for all 10 waves, and if it doesn't bug out and not give rewards at the end.

Please, Q, consider changing this before the event's over. :)

It's so weird, the team has been making great strides towards being incredibly alt friendly, with the discounts and return of most gear being account bound...then they go and do something like this. Maybe they just didn't consider the repercussions? I can totally understand wanting to gate stuff a bit, given how many photos and trinkets people had stashed away. It's the per-character basis of the gating that seems really...mean to me.
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited December 2014
    how about stating all the winter event times here so we know when to look for them.

I think the :52 for the race is broken atm

Robert
    Dear devs. Do you hate multiple characters? The path of the last months suppose that. There is no time to play different characters in that game for many players. But players are also customers. If i have no time to play an alt SCI, because i need the playtime for my main character (ENG), i don't by items or sci-ships in C-Store for my alt.

And now this. I have to grind 5 times Tides of ice to get the permission to buy a hat? So 5 times means, grind 5 hours, because this event starts only at full o clock. So only looking with my main char in that event, because i don't like excessive grind. It gets boring and at the end, there is no fun.

You converted the lovely atmospheric winter event in a big grindfest. I loved the winter event for his atmosphere. Thats gone.

Sometimes i believe we are not more than numbers in your metrics. The grind in the event is only there, that you can show the great numbers of players to your headquarters.
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    Plus the times appear to be borked because at least once last night the Tides of Ice started at the time the Fast and Flurious was supposed to start!

I really am beginning to resent this "carrot & stick" approach that Cryptic is adopting.

The Tag race at :45 and :52 are randomly not working (as in most of the time) likely due to the randomness when a Tides of Ice will start at :45 occasionally.

The 10 ToI per char is trash if it was account wide I could understand but its just getting silly now.

PS....

running it 10x on 1 character to unlock account wide with alts only needing to run rides 1x to complete the alt unlock i could see.

PSS....

Why do i have to resize my bank inventory screen with every instance change thought this was fixed some time ago :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Greetings Dear Mortals,

This year’s new Tides of Ice event is live! We understand that there are questions about how players are given completion credit for the event and how to purchase the new items in the Winter Store.

In order to receive full credit for completing Tides of Ice, a character must participate in all 10 waves of fighting. If a character arrives late and plays through the end of the event, they will not receive completion credit. We are currently looking into changing the number of waves a player must complete in order to receive completion credit. We also will be adding more messaging to announce when a Tides of Ice event is starting, similar to the other events in Q's Winter Wonderland.

Eligibility to purchase the new items in the Winter Store is also tied to completing Tides of Ice. Currently, the new rewards appear unable for purchase, even if the character has all of the required currency. If a player double-clicks on the items in the store, a message will appear showing how many Tides of Ice completion credits are required to unlock that item for purchase. For example, the new Winter Knitted Hat requires 5 Tides of Ice completion credits. We will be making this messaging more clear.

In addition, we will be making changes to the Winter Invasion queue to make it completable even if everyone on the team only have snowballs as a weapon. We are also aware that some characters may not be receiving the discount they have earned for the previous years' Breen ships. A fix for that issue is incoming.

We apologize for any inconvenience that may have resulted from these issues, and hope you'll enjoy the rest of this year's Winter Event.

Best of Holiday luck to you all,
    Q

Why not just have a beam-to prompt like the Summer race event?

also might be worth adding to the winter pvp race :P
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    We the p(l)ayers hand them the ball, they drop it! We the p(l)ayers hand them the ball, they drop it! We the p(l)ayers hand them the ball, they drop it!

Who's not learning here?
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    sammiefightersammiefighter Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Eligibility to purchase the new items in the Winter Store is also tied to completing Tides of Ice. Currently, the new rewards appear unable for purchase, even if the character has all of the required currency. If a player double-clicks on the items in the store, a message will appear showing how many Tides of Ice completion credits are required to unlock that item for purchase. For example, the new Winter Knitted Hat requires 5 Tides of Ice completion credits. We will be making this messaging more clear.

So .. Per character, colour locked, vanity items locked behind a partially working and incomplete per character unlock scheme.

It's Gibs slaps and Red Forman 'dumb-ss'-es for everyone at Cryptic STO this year
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Just for those mentioning the times of events getting 'mixed up', they aren't. It was stated in the blog that at x:45 a random event would be repeated. So the event you see at that time will just be one of the others that got lucky that hour.

The only fixed event times are the Tides of Ice on the hour, PvP race at 15 minutes and 22 minutes past the hour, then Snowball fight at half past the hour.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    In order to receive full credit for completing Tides of Ice, a character must participate in all 10 waves of fighting.
    Lost out on being credited twice now, if you get held just as wave 9 finishes you have no change to get anywhere near the queen before she's destroyed by the heavy hitters, and because you didn't do any damage to her you don't get credit for wave 10. You have the same problem if your right at the top of the slopes, trying to get down before she spawns isn't easy as your usually still fighting, and as the heavy hitters can wipe her out in seconds it means yet again you miss out on the credit.
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    "This is the winter of your discontent" sayeth the snow borg.

They couldn't be more correct.

An event which was distracting and fun has been given a nice little "up your shaft" by bugs, time gates, and general stingie-ness. Like DR, it looks great - but the only reason people are playing it is because they are locked into it if they want things to make existing stuff relevant. Grind for a ship to get a new core? Not happening, because you have to buy it separately; but only after you grind out some buggy event the uber players are basically exploiting. But hey - it's all for them, right?

I think if we were to actually see one of the Breen, they'd look like the Grinch.
  • Options
    painfullylargepainfullylarge Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I cannot complete Tides of Ice at all. The instant I fire at or throw a snowball at a snow borg, my game crashes. I NEVER have this problem anywhere else in the game. If I stand around, fix turrets, etc, the game does not seem to crash, but I will not get credit--even if 10 waves are completed.

Please fix ASAP.

P.S.
    This happened at full-screen on 1080p resolution and with maximized window. Geforce 780m GTX card. MORE than up to the task.
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited December 2014
    Just for those mentioning the times of events getting 'mixed up', they aren't. It was stated in the blog that at x:45 a random event would be repeated. So the event you see at that time will just be one of the others that got lucky that hour.

The only fixed event times are the Tides of Ice on the hour, PvP race at 15 minutes and 22 minutes past the hour, then Snowball fight at half past the hour.

Ummm, nope.....

Talk with the race official.......

He specifically states the Tag race starts at :15, :22, :45, :52 just as it was last year.

So something is bugged when it doesnt show up at :45, :52
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    Ummm, nope.....

Talk with the race official.......

He specifically states the Tag race starts at :15, :22, :45, :52 just as it was last year.

So something is bugged when it doesnt show up at :45, :52

Urm, yeah. The bug is they forgot to update the Race official. The blog stated what times the events would be on at, and those times have held true to what's happening in the game.
  • Options
    ussackermanussackerman Member Posts: 275 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Another suggestion for the Tides of Ice/Store Unlock grind.

If it is too much to change the code to an account unlock, how about a token like the Rep T5 token. Make it unlockable after running ten times on the main. And it can be transferred to alts to either fully unlock or make the store one "Tides" run to unlock the whole store on the alt.

Since the token system is already in place, it shouldn't be too hard.
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Twice today, I've had characters in place at the start of "Tides of Ice", blazing away continually at the oncoming snowborgs for all ten waves... and nothing at the end of it.

This. Event. Is. Bugged. There is no reasonable doubt in my mind about that.

And... well, the requirement to do it ten times, on each character, to get the store fully unlocked... that seems pretty much over the top, even if the wretched thing wasn't bugged.

People play games for fun. Repetitive grinding for a reward you might not even get... is about as far away from fun as I can imagine, short of the devs personally coming round to my house and punching me in the face.

Please re-think this, along the lines of "supposedly enjoyable event should not turn out to be a pain in the proverbial".
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    +1 to the hatred of tides of ice 10x per character.. this is a design flaw not just a bug IMHO
  • Options
    kriskringle3kriskringle3 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    for those with a lot of alts :rolleyes:

This is EXACTLY the reason for the Per Character requirement. you want to do it maybe five times to be able to buy the warp cores and singularity cores for 20-50 toons?

No sympathy here.
  • Options
    soidutssoiduts Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    We literally just did a perfect run, all the walls weren't breached, completed all 10 waves and we didn't get credit for completing nor the final reward. That's really annoying consider the time put into it and the requirement to unlock items.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    This is EXACTLY the reason for the Per Character requirement. you want to do it maybe five times to be able to buy the warp cores and singularity cores for 20-50 toons?

No sympathy here.

Alting is pretty standard in MMOs. I don't know anybody who has as many as 50 right enough, though 15 to 20 isn't uncommon. They've already adapted many other systems to account for this. The Rep systems, the event ships, etc. This time gate is just silly for the sake of being silly. I'd happily grind out enough of the commodities to buy it for all 15 of my toons, but I don't want to have to take all of them to wonderland to do ten runs of a buggy mission which only plays once an hour that may or may not even count across all 15 of my toons. That's a 150 hours of time gate, minimum.
  • Options
    matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The latest Tribble patch notes make it an account-wide unlock.

Just have to wait for it to go live.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1319531
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Another issue that was brought up last year but never fixed: once the Winter Invasion event (gingerbread village) is complete you can't go back and get the present. The green circle marker on the map will still show up but you can't interact with the present on the ground to get it. Your only option is to go off the path to get the present before the snowman overlord is defeated and this ends up causing you to catch up to everybody (especially if you're having trouble finding the path to get to the present) since a lot of players seem to not even bother getting it. Any way we can go back after the overlord is defeated and get the present? There is plenty of time after the overlord is defeated before the game kicks you out of the map.
  • Options
    elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I cannot complete Tides of Ice at all. The instant I fire at or throw a snowball at a snow borg, my game crashes. I NEVER have this problem anywhere else in the game. If I stand around, fix turrets, etc, the game does not seem to crash, but I will not get credit--even if 10 waves are completed.

Please fix ASAP.

P.S.
    This happened at full-screen on 1080p resolution and with maximized window. Geforce 780m GTX card. MORE than up to the task.

You need to stop using that thing I know you are using, and it'll stop crashing. Wait for a fix.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Another bug: Pie eating contest sound effect is still too loud. I can still hear it no matter where I am in the gazebo and it has a tendency to drown out the voices of the NPCs making them hard to hear even when standing next to them. Honestly the sound effect is gross and it's annoying standing next to the epohh lady and hearing a loud slurping sound. Issue was mentioned a lot last year too but still isn't fixed.

However, it does seem as though the volume of the chef (who is now Neelix with his own voice saying the same lines the chef last year said), epohh lady, ferengi, etc. has been fixed. Now I barely hear the NPCs when I'm not near them and when I am near them their voices are clear and not too loud. So thanks for that improvement. :) (Though it is a little creepy hearing Neelix say "Let's make a tasty treat together." in a soft spoken manner LoL :D)
  • Options
    schicikschicik Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    the thing where you unlock stuff through the pve que is bugged for me... ive played it about 7 times now and i havent even unlocked the thing that requires 1 completion....:mad: