test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which famous characters are still alive?

just123mejust123me Member Posts: 20 Arc User
I want to know which well known characters from all shows are still among the living in STO.
Not the real life persons rather the figures they represented in the shows.
I am mainly interested in the fate of Janeway, Chakotay, Sisko, Picard, Riker, Troy, Data.
there are lot more interesting characters but we all know these guys best.
Are the faces and appearance of Star Trek actors actually the property of CBS or do they have to ask/pay Patrick Stewart for permission if they wanted to show Captain/Admiral Picard in the game?
I know they don't wanna show famous Trek persons without proper voices, it just doesn't feel right so it's unlikely we'll see them in STO. I still would like to know who's around still even if old and retired.
Post edited by just123me on

Comments

• uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They've been written about in books so it might depend on if you consider them canon.

I'm sure some are old and retired by now though.
  • ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There is a STO Book were you can read it. As far as i know Picard is an Ambassador on Vulcan. Data is lost with the Enterprice-E somewere i hope we can find him sometimes. ... History to 2409 you could also read
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • withnail68withnail68 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Picard was Born in 2305, so he would be 105 years old in game time.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You can read the Path to 2409 PDF to get some of the answers here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzH6eyVeXZg9ZGI2MjkwYzctM2Y4YS00ZDk3LWE4ZmEtNWZmYjE5Y2Y4ZTc1/edit?pli=1

And yes, Cryptic would need to get permission from the actors to use their likeness in the game - and that permission often comes with a price tag.

Bill Prady, the producer of The Big Bang Theory, talks about needing CBS' permission, Abrams' permission, and Quintos' permission just to use a new Spock cutout in the TV show.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    withnail68 wrote: »
    Picard was Born in 2305, so he would be 105 years old in game time.

Admiral McCoy was 137 in TNG ... so what ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
    edited December 2014
    Admiral McCoy was 137 in TNG ... so what ...
    Yeah, but we would not call his appearance at that age spry. :D
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,746 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    ussberlin wrote: »
    There is a STO Book were you can read it. As far as i know Picard is an Ambassador on Vulcan. Data is lost with the Enterprice-E somewere i hope we can find him sometimes. ... History to 2409 you could also read

According to the STO Wiki, the Enterprise-E is destroyed, but Data survived:

"While it has not been mentioned in-game, the short story "Unexpected Honor" by head writer Christine Thompson reveals that the Enterprise-E has, in fact, been destroyed by Undine forces while investigating Starbase 236. Though the ship itself was lost, most of the crew, including Captain Data, survived."

http://sto.gamepedia.com/U.S.S._Enterprise_%28NCC-1701-E%29
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • just123mejust123me Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Ok, thx for the answers. Given that Picard is 105 now answers the age of the others. Mostly 80+ then. I don't know the average life expectance in the 25th century but i think they won't be much of a help in STO anymore, they deserve their retirement. Farewell guys.
    edited December 2014
    just123me wrote: »
    Ok, thx for the answers. Given that Picard is 105 now answers the age of the others. Mostly 80+ then. I don't know the average life expectance in the 25th century but i think they won't be much of a help in STO anymore, they deserve their retirement. Farewell guys.
    Off the top of my head, Picard was the Ambassador to Vulcan until his retirement a couple of years ago. He now lives on his familyl's vineyard. Janeway is an Admiral and the person looking into the Hobus Incident. Riker and Troi are on the Titan. Data was Captain of the E until it was destroyed by Undine. He does not currently have a command - he might be teaching at the Academy.

And in case you did not know, the timeline for the game is set 30 years past the events in Nemesis. So everyone has aged.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    just123me wrote: »

105 BUT the whole crew was subjected to a planet that reduced their age. What long term effects that might have had ... ??? Pretty sure that affected at least picard, worf, riker, (troy??), crusher, and a few others.

Also we have a universe where time is a physical thing that can be altered; it would be possible to fetch these individuals by going back in time and dragging them forward.

In some ways trek is like a bad soap opera. If the writers want it to happen, it will happen.
    edited December 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Yeah, but we would not call his appearance at that age spry. :D

Well he was still on active duty ... so I don't see why 80-100 year olds shouldn't be ...
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Starting with the obvious, we know that the following people are still very much alive;

• Tuvok
    • Seven
    • Harry Kim
    • The Doctor (though him being alive is questionable)
    • Neelix (unfortunately)
    • Sela
    • Worf

I would expect most of the TNG and DS9 cast to also still be with us, that includes everyone not already mentioned above. The only possible exception to this might be Sisko (cause I don't believe STO has a definition on his current state of existence). The same would go for the remainder of the Voyager cast; we know Naomi and Ichab are alive on K7, and we know that Miral Paris is alive and well too.

The only people I can think of that aren't mentioned as having done something, or as still being alive are Ezri, Bashir, Kiera and (outside of a reference made to them by their daughter) Tom (and B'Elanna) Paris/Torres.

Edit: With regard to old age, we must remember this is the future. Even Archer lived to be a ripe old age (referenced in JJ's Star Trek as being the reason Scotty had a TRIBBLE assignment). If that's not a good enough example, then think back to the TNG episode where McCoy visited the Ent-D.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Sisko kinda got abducted by the prophets, and could conceivably reappear without having aged
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    TNG
    Jean-Luc Picard, 105 Last known details, Ambassador to Vulcan in 2387
    William Riker, 75 Last known details, 2386 Captain Riker testifies to reinstate Data into Starfleet.
    Deanna Troi, 74 Last known details, promoted to Captain sometime after 2379.
    Worf, 70 Last known details, 2410 Hanging out in the Great Hall on Qo'nos.
    Beverly Crusher, 86 Last known details, 2390 Captain of the USS Pasteur, still active in 2410
    Wesley Crusher, 62 Who knows, was supposed to be a traveler but was part of Rikers crew on the Titan
    Data, 72 Last known details, 2409 Captain of USS Enterprise-E
    Geordi La Forge, 75 Last known details, 2397 Captain of the USS Challenger, still active in 2410

DS9
    Ben Sisko, 78 Last known details, a God
    Julian Bashir, 69 Last known details, active in 2375
    Jadzia Dax, DEAD
    Ezri Dax, ?? Last known details, 2409 Captain of the USS Aventine
    Kira Nerys, 67 Unknown
    Nog, ?? Last known details, 2397 Chief Engineer of the USS Enterprise-E
    Miles O'Brien, 82 Last known details, 2375 Engineering professor at Starfleet Academy.
    Odo, ?? Last known details, Part of the great link
    Rom, 80-ish Last known details, Grand Nagus of the Ferengi
    Quark, ?? Last known details, Head of Quark Enterprises

That is using either details from STO or the last known details at their end of their series. I didn't get into Voyager.

I understand peoples desire to see their favorite characters in the game but in all honesty, some of them shouldn't be. Considering their ages, mostly a factor with the TNG crew, most of them should be happily retired by now.

As was said, Cryptic needs permission from the actors to use their likeness. That's why Castillo looks nothing like Castillo or sounds anything like Castillo. Also why, for a while, Worf looked nothing like Worf and why Martok was removed and why we haven't been allowed to go to the Ferengi homeworld or interact with many of the old cast members. It's just better to not use them then change their appearance. Castillo was only a very minor character in 1 single episode and I still remember the uproar about him looking and sounding nothing like he was supposed to.
  • lordkhoraklordkhorak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    neomodious wrote: »
    Sisko kinda got abducted by the prophets, and could conceivably reappear without having aged

Not so much abducted, but yes, time is basically irrelevant to him while he's with the Prophets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cecil08cecil08 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'll go ahead and do Voyager (Most of them are obvious):

Voyager:

The Doctor: Active, working in Delta Quad as CMO on Voyager
    Tuvok: Admiral, commanding officer of Voyager
    Neelix: Active, working as Starfleet Ambassador and with the other Talaxians
    7 of 9: Somehow hasn't aged AT ALL (*sigh*), still talks like a Borg and hasn't found any of her humanity (*double sigh*). Oh and active on Voyager with Tuvok (I just wish they would have made her a LITTLE more human since it is 30 some odd years since she was rescued)
    Harry Kim: Captain of the USS Rhode Island. Also is <REDACTED> :D
    Katheryn Janeway: Admiral, at Starfleet (The Doctor mentions her in a mission in STO)
    Naomi Wildman: On DS K7
    Icheb: on DS K7
    Tom Paris: Unknown
    B'elanna Torres Paris: Unknown
    Miral Paris: Active on the USS Kirk (and apparently occasionally spawns in Club 47)
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It took longer to look this up than I cared to. ;)

ToS:
    Spock - Trapped in the JJverse
    Everyone else - They're dead Jim. :P

TNG:
    Picard - Retired as Ambassador to Vulcan, currently resides on family vinard in France (Path to 2409)
    Riker - Starfleet admiral. (STO novel "The Needs of the Many")
    Data - Turned down command of the Enterprise F and resigned from Starfleet following the loss of the E. Accepted a position at Oxford Universty where in his spare time is building an android body that is assumed to be a replacement for B-4, who was confined to a holographic one following Data's "rebirth." (STO short story: "Unexpected Honor" - written by Christine Thompson, lead writer for STO)
    Deanna - Starfleet Captain overseeing a team developing new holographic technology. (STO novel "The Needs of the Many.")
    Worf - In game, General in the KDF.
    Geordi - Captain of the Galaxy class USS Challenger (STO novel "The Needs of the Many")
    Dr. Crusher - Served as captain of the USS Pasteur until 2401 when she was promoted to admiral. Became head of Starfleet Medical in 2402 (path to 2409)
    Dr. Pulaski - Unknown.
    Wesley Crusher - Returned to Starfleet aboard the Titan as assistant chief engineer (Star Trek: The Tour, short film)
    Ro Laren - Turned herself in to Starfleet in 2380 and pled guilty to desertion charges, after serving time in a penal colony joined the Bajoran Militia and was assigned as chief of security to DS9 (Path to 2409, not seen in game)
    Guinan - Unknown.

DS9:
    Sisko - Still in the wormhole.
    Kira - Retired, became a vedic and was elected Bajoran Space Pope (Kai) (NPC dialog on DS9)
    O'Brien - Head of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers (Path to 2409)
    Dr. Bashir - Unknown.
    Ezri Dax - Captain of the USS Aventine (in game dialog)
    Odo - Still with the Founders (in game dialog)
    Quark - Head of Quark Enterprises, conning you into opening lockboxes since 2409. :P
    Nog - Chief Engineer of the Enterprise-E until it's loss.
    Garak - Member of Cardassia's Detapa Council (Path to 2409)
    Jake - Award winning journilist and author (STO novel "The Needs of the Many")
    Kasidy - Moved to Cestus III to raise her and Ben's daughter (STO novel "The Needs of the Many")
    Rom - Still Grand Negus (Path to 2409)
    Leeta - still with Rom (in game dialog)
    Morn - In game, Quark's Bar, DS9

Voy:
    Janeway - Admiral, last known assignment was invistigating the Hobus supernova (Path to 2409, in game dialog)
    Chakotay - Admiral, Starfleet Intellegence (Path to 2409, in game dialog)
    Tuvok - Rear Admiral, commanding officer USS Voyager (in game)
    B'Elanna - Unknown
    Kim - Captain, USS Rhode Island (Delta Rising)
    Paris - Unknown.
    The Doctor - Won a legal battle to be declared sentient and granted a lieutant commander commission by Starfleet, assigned to Galor IV (Path to 2409). Active in game (Delta Rising).
    Neelix - leader of a group of Talaxians (Delta Rising)
    Kes - Unknown (Persona note: I haven't finished all the DR content yet so I don't even know if she's mentioned.)
    Naomi Wildman - Commander of Deep Space K-7 (in game)
    Seven - Joined operation Delta Rising at the persona request of Tuvok (Delta Rising)
    Icheb - Lt. Commander, first officer of Deep Space K-7 (in game)

Ent:
    They're dead Jim. :P
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    TNG
    Jean-Luc Picard, 105 Last known details, Ambassador to Vulcan in 2387 Retired to a reconstructed Picard Vineyard in La Barre, France where he suffers from Irumodic Syndrome According to the STO novel, had an artificially conceived son by Beverly who lives on Mars and makes champagne
    William Riker, 75 Last known details, 2386 Captain Riker testifies to reinstate Data into Starfleet. According to the STO novel, had a daughter with Troi who married Picard's son
    Deanna Troi, 74 Last known details, promoted to Captain sometime after 2379.
    Worf, 70 Last known details, 2410 Hanging out in the Great Hall on Qo'nos.
    Beverly Crusher, 86 Last known details, 2390 Captain of the USS Pasteur, still active in 2410
    Wesley Crusher, 62 Who knows, was supposed to be a traveler but was part of Rikers crew on the Titan
    Data, 72 Last known details, 2409 Captain of USS Enterprise-E According to the STO stories in ST magazine, is a professor at Oxford -- not Cambridge like in AGT. Is rebuilding Lore's body to download B4 into. B4's brain is backed up to a Holodeck. Data is in B4's body.
    Geordi La Forge, 75 Last known details, 2397 Captain of the USS Challenger, still active in 2410 According to the STO novel, married Leah Brahms, who left her husband for Geordi, in contrast to non-STO novels where she was widowed. Had three children: Bret, Sidney, and Alandra. Divorced from Leah. Married to unnamed chief engineer of the Challenger.

DS9
    Ben Sisko, 78 Last known details, a God Has a child by Kassidy Yates
    Jake Sisko, ?? According to the STO novel and old STO website references, is a novelist and a journalist. His life has proceeded almost identically to how it played out in "The Visitor", which makes sense because the final shot of DS9 on TV was a perfect remake of a scene in The Visitor.
    Julian Bashir, 69 Last known details, active in 2375
    Jadzia Dax, DEAD
    Ezri Dax, ?? Last known details, 2409 Captain of the USS Aventine
    Kira Nerys, 67 Unknown Is Kai of the Bajoran religion after a spiritual reawakening led her away from military service
    Nog, ?? Last known details, 2397 Chief Engineer of the USS Enterprise-E
    Miles O'Brien, 82 Last known details, 2375 Engineering professor at Starfleet Academy.
    Odo, ?? Last known details, Part of the great link
    Rom, 80-ish Last known details, Grand Nagus of the Ferengi
    Quark, ?? Last known details, Head of Quark Enterprises

Christine Thompson wrote short stories for Star Trek magazine set in STO's timeline. I've made updates based on the magazine and the novel.
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    zulisvel wrote: »
    It took longer to look this up than I cared to. ;)

Everyone else - They're dead Jim. :P

Tell me about it, I only did the majors in TNG and DS9 and it took a while.

As for Scotty, he's only 113 right now, so could still be kicking. After all, Picard is only 8 years younger and is still kicking.

Pulaski was never given a Birthday or even year, but she was around 100 when she was on the D... so yeah, probably dead.

I ignored using the novels and other unofficial material as they aren't cannon and STO isn't required to follow them. Wasn't aware of those STO novels though, those are certain STO cannon and I'm going to have to try and find them!

EDIT: The way you keep referring to the E, sounds like it was destroyed!? Don't remember it being mentioned in game what happened to the E. Is it in one of these short stories? Don't tell me what happened to it, I have to read! Where do I find these stories?
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The fate of the E and why Data is at Oxford can mostly be found in the short story "Unexpected Honor" in Star Trek Magazine #40.

Scotty and McCoy I assume are considered deceased because my understanding is that CBS has "retired" their characters for the post-TNG Star Trek era following the deaths of DeForest Kelley and James Doohan. From what I've heard the novelverse gave them rather nice sendoffs.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    According to the STO Wiki, the Enterprise-E is destroyed, but Data survived:

"While it has not been mentioned in-game, the short story "Unexpected Honor" by head writer Christine Thompson reveals that the Enterprise-E has, in fact, been destroyed by Undine forces while investigating Starbase 236. Though the ship itself was lost, most of the crew, including Captain Data, survived."

http://sto.gamepedia.com/U.S.S._Enterprise_%28NCC-1701-E%29

No he didn't.It why it did so poor at the box office and with ratings on Enterprise going down.It why CBS pulled the plug on the Trek franchise.There have been write up by other about the Death of Data.Think they could of use shuttles transporters or the shuttles themselves but they wanted to kill Data off.This plus the death of Capt. Kirk was the finale nail in the coffin for Star Trek we know.Captian Kirk is my Favouite of them all.

http://youtu.be/8NNtaq2mnhU

http://youtu.be/xdqzJvoH-_4

Nothing has been said about Sulu,Chekov,Uhara and Rand as wellas few others from the Era.It is and and alway will be the most famous era of Star Trek.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited December 2014
    age03 wrote: »
    No he didn't.It why it did so poor at the box office and with ratings on Enterprise going down.It why CBS pulled the plug on the Trek franchise.There have been write up by other about the Death of Data.Think they could of use shuttles transporters or the shuttles themselves but they wanted to kill Data off.This plus the death of Capt. Kirk was the finale nail in the coffin for Star Trek we know.Captian Kirk is my Favouite of them all.

http://youtu.be/8NNtaq2mnhU

http://youtu.be/xdqzJvoH-_4

Nothing has been said about Sulu,Chekov,Uhara and Rand as wellas few others from the Era.It is and and alway will be the most famous era of Star Trek.

Nobody is talking about "Nemesis", besides that was "Commander Data" ... in STO Lore, Data was "revived" in B4's Body and got command of the Enterprise-E, soon after "Captain Data" & the Enterprise-E was "lost" ...
    edited December 2014
    We're not talking about "Nemesis", besides that was "Commander Data" ... in STO Lore, Data was "revived" in B4's Body and got command of the Enterprise-E

He should never have been and I have never heard his voice in STO lore.I guess that could Capt. Kirk is still alive then.
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited December 2014
    He should never have been and I have never heard his voice in STO lore.I guess that could Capt. Kirk is still alive then.

Voice ? Lore ? I haven't heard any "Voice" in STO's Lore ... because it's Lore !? What are you even talking about ...

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Data

... and nope Kirk is still dead ... even in STO ... besides he would be 177 years old ... not sure if you want him to be alive :P
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,434 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I haven't heard Robert Beltran's voice in-game, either. I guess that means Chakotay is dead, right?

Look, you've been told what STO's lore is. Data recovered in B-4's body (as implied by the closing scenes of Nemesis); Captain Riker testified on his behalf, and managed to get his commission reinstated. He was promoted to Captain and assigned command of Ent-E, which was destroyed by Undine action. He survived this, retired, and took up a teaching position at Oxford.

Whether this agrees with your headcanon is irrelevant. It's the backstory of the game itself.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited December 2014
    Voice ? Lore ? (I haven't heard any "Voice" in STO's Lore ... because it's Lore !? What are you even talking about ...

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Data

... and nope Kirk is still dead ... even in STO ... besides he would be 177 years old ...

I have heard all the Actors voices in STO but Data's is not there and you are only assuming about Kirk.As far as I ma concerned he is till abourd the Enterprise A.I never saaw that shp make it back to spacedock.

TREKS NO 1 Captian.

http://youtu.be/BUPK2tTx0tc

Then he is still alive here

http://youtu.be/zFjikVnvypg

@jonsills
    Look, you've been told what STO's lore is. Data recovered in B-4's body (as implied by the closing scenes of Nemesis);
    You got this all wrong .
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited December 2014
    I have heard all the Actors voices in STO but Data's is not there and you are only assuming about Kirk.As far as I ma concerned he is till abourd the Enterprise A.I never saaw that shp make it back to spacedock.

TREKS NO 1 Captian.

http://youtu.be/BUPK2tTx0tc

Not sure which voices you're hearing, but I haven't heard "All the Actors Voices" in STO ... and yes I'm sure 177 year old Kirk is still on the Enterprise A ... seriously what are you smoking ?
    edited December 2014
    Not sure which voices you're hearing, but I haven't heard "All the Actors Voices" in STO ... and yes I'm sure 177 year old Kirk is still on the Enterprise A ... seriously what are you smoking ?

He is still in the 23rd Century.
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited December 2014
    He is still in the 23rd Century.

And STO is still in the 25th Century ...
    edited December 2014
    And STO is in the 25th Century ...

So what there is absolutely no canon in this game what so ever.It was the wrong time to start this game as it should of started off in 2230.I would love to see some races from StarFleet Battles enter the game after all it has taken off of Star Fleet Command.
    Star Trek Gamers