What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

20% Off Everything and 15% Bonus ZEN - They're desperate for money

Comments

• Options
    omega6theta1omega6theta1 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Only looked at the first page replys so apologies if this has been said already.... But, how is this different from any other black friday sale from every other store in the US? Does that mean every other store in the states is "desperate for money" because they have sales today?

Sure, Cryptic is making money today but it is no different that the thousands of other stores doing the same thing.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The way I wrote my reply was intended to be snarky, apparently I should seek lessons from you? What I wrote was confusing, my apologizes.

Yes I am Grand Poobah of snarkilation and often too quick to use the Runic Keyboard of Snarkening.
    I know when the Dil exchange was put up, I think you are misunderstanding. You quoted me noting it is at the highest point in 2014 suggesting it was higher than this years ago, missing that I noted the year (which you quoted btw).

Except your first statement was "The value of ZEN in STO has never been higher than it is today." which was not qualified by a year, but by an absolute ("never"). The statement right after that was qualified by the year but could be (and was) taken as a separate statement from the first.

Regardless of that, it's been both higher than 180 in 2014 (this summer, 200+ during the STLV announcement) and lower than 150 in 2014 (earlier in the summer/year), so either way it has been worth both more and less than 1. the current sale spike right now, and 2. the more stable price from the last 2 weeks or so.

This spike doesn't even qualify as an anomaly; spikes always happen during sales and announcements of new, shiny, or speculative things and it's gone as low as 50-60 dil per zen in the past and used to be north of 300. DilEx goes down, DilEx goes up, but it always tends to come back to the same numbers if you wait long enough.

*shrug*

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Except your first statement was "The value of ZEN in STO has never been higher than it is today." which was not qualified by a year, but by an absolute ("never"). The statement right after that was qualified by the year but could be (and was) taken as a separate statement from the first.

Regardless of that, it's been both higher than 180 in 2014 (this summer, 200+ during the STLV announcement) and lower than 150 in 2014 (earlier in the summer/year), so either way it has been worth both more and less than 1. the current sale spike right now, and 2. the more stable price from the last 2 weeks or so.

This spike doesn't even qualify as an anomaly; spikes always happen during sales and announcements of new, shiny, or speculative things and it's gone as low as 50-60 dil per zen in the past and used to be north of 300. DilEx goes down, DilEx goes up, but it always tends to come back to the same numbers if you wait long enough.

*shrug*

Which is one of the few areas that Cryptic is relatively consistent in - their "marketing" as far as sales and the like...or when they release things with their production/release schedule. It allows one to speculate on the market, having a decent idea of when things are going to go up or down.
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I wouldn't know. Being Australian and English.

Riiigghhtt... Australian here too, and I'd be amazed if anyone I knew had not heard of Black Friday.

Also, Steam must be DOOOOMED too. They are having a bunch of sales.
  • Options
    giveroffacialsgiveroffacials Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Well, as the Devs said, If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. :P

Time for a D'angelo letter about exploits?
    Space the final frontier. These are the voyages of [your name here] on a five year mission to gain one level after the delta rising xp nerf.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yep, it's highly irregular...you know, STO having that 20% Black Friday thing going back to 2010 when the game first launched.

Kind of like all the Cryptic/PWE games having taken part in Black Friday stuff since the dawn of time...

...yep, it's highly irregular. :rolleyes:

When was the last time *everything* in the C-Store was 20% off added to a Zen promo?

No need to answer. It was never.

My point was only to try and clarify what the OP was getting at. Cryptic is throwing everything at the players in as rapid a succession as I've seen playing in all these years. With the release of DR seemingly being a step backwards, it appears they are making moves to mitigate the loss of players. I'm not complaining. I'm not saying "doom". I'm just saying they're hurt or they wouldn't be going through such lengths.

Dilithium weekends are scheduled. Bonus mark weekends are scheduled. Sales are scheduled. The rapid push of every tool they have is telling, however. All in all, I'm actually hoping this has a positive outcome. I'm hoping none of these strategies actually have much of an impact and that Cryptic is pushed into a corner to *have* to revert some of the changes DR brought us. That's the only way things like leveling and rewards may see some relief. The Priority One acknowledgements weren't because of kind hearts at Cryptic. The almost assured minimal "tweaks" are because they pushed beyond bounds of reason and made the game punishing for long time players and near impossible for casuals.
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This is a two prong attack by Cryptic/Pwe, make buttloads of cash with a zen "sale" and curry favour for heavy damage control with the 20% sale on everything. Kill one giant bird(whale) with two shiny stones. The whales need to be milked before they migrate. :D
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Let them eat cake!!!!!

is all i cant help but think of, with each and every attempt since dr launch.

i dont think they are hurting. maybe a slight joint ache but not hurting. they jsut dont realize how bad some of us are taking it.

hell I even went back to using a E&B Emulator last night and actually had some fun blowing up badies in a 15 year old space game with zero requests spend money .
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    When was the last time *everything* in the C-Store was 20% off added to a Zen promo?

No need to answer. It was never.
    Just so we all have a handle here, last year at this time there was a 15% Zen bonus sale with a 15% Ship Sale. This was followed by a 15% Master Key sale, and then a 33% LTS sale. Then in December they had another 15% Zen bonus sale and a 15% Game Card Zen bonus event to go along with the Winter Event. And during all of this they also had a Bird of Prey giveaway; plus they had all the regular Calender Events: bonus Dilithium, Marks events, etc. That takes care of 2013.

Now let us go back to Nov/Dec 2012. On 11/21 they started a 15% Ship sale and a 15% Zen bonus sale. Which lead into a second 15% Zen bonus sale, a Master Key sale, and a Costume sale in December; then going into the Winter Event. Plus all the regular Calender Events - but at that time there were still hourly Events and the like.

The only real difference between 2014 and 2013, and 2012 is that the first sale this year was 20% instead of 15% and it covered everything rather then just Ships and Keys. Not a big deal - at least not in the way many of you are trying to make it seem. There are more things that people want in the C-Store now then there were in 2013 or 2012. In 2012 someone would have laughed at you if you suggested they buy an XP Boost. Now they can be handy in helping you get to 60 if you are a Casual. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Just so we all have a handle here, last year at this time there was a 15% Zen bonus sale with a In 2012 someone would have laughed at you if you suggested they buy an XP Boost. Now they can be handy in helping you get to 60 if you are a Casual. :)

I challenge that claim: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1312921
    A large XP boost grants you up to 10,000 skill points and costs 975 Zen.

You need more than 10 times as many skill points to earn one specialization point or a level once beyond 50.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I challenge that claim: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1312921
    A large XP boost grants you up to 10,000 skill points and costs 975 Zen.

You need more than 10 times as many skill points to earn one specialization point or a level once beyond 50.
    Getting to Level 60 is not the same thing as getting maximum Specialization. I have 6 characters at Level 60. None of them have maxed Specialization. XP Boosts can help you cut down on some of the repeat grind. 10,000 Skill points Boost can cut out a few Argala rounds. It is not a magic button getting you to 60 but it can save you some trips through repeat land.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    kwyjenkwyjen Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I for 1 just wanna say thanks for the 20% Black Friday discounts.. There is usually something I want , or would like to get. So when they have 1 of these promo's I take advantage of it.

Grabbed some ship upgrade tokens, crafting boxes, fleet ship modules, and maxed out my doff's (500) on a couple of toons. :D

Be glad of the things you get, instead of complaining about what you didn't. :eek:
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Getting to Level 60 is not the same thing as getting maximum Specialization. I have 6 characters at Level 60. None of them have maxed Specialization. XP Boosts can help you cut down on some of the repeat grind. 10,000 Skill points Boost can cut out a few Argala rounds. It is not a magic button getting you to 60 but it can save you some trips through repeat land.

10k XP are nothing worth mentioning. Those boosts are pretty much the worst investment you could do with your Zen.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    10k XP are nothing worth mentioning. Those boosts are pretty much the worst investment you could do with your Zen.

I can't think of a bigger rip-off in the whole game than XP boosts. Some say there's a big conspiracy to make people want to buy these, which is why the XP payouts were nerfed. If such a conspiracy exists, nobody informed the person who tripled XP requirements for leveling because he or she might as well have killed XP boosts with their bare hands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This sale does nothing but show that Cryptic is trying to make more money, nothing more, nothing less.

To be perfectly honest it is a pretty good deal with the bonus Zen and 20% discount on all Zen-Shop items.

If there's anything that you've been on the fence about getting now is the time to pick it up ;)

I have no problems with Cryptic trying to make money this way and I prefer this way to the heavy handed dilithium sinks that we have in game now.

Soon we'll have to pay Dilithium to re-spawn :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sitheachsitheach Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I bought a different game..
    Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. ~ Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    errab wrote: »
    This sale does nothing but show that Cryptic is trying to make more money, nothing more, nothing less.

To be perfectly honest it is a pretty good deal with the bonus Zen and 20% discount on all Zen-Shop items.

If there's anything that you've been on the fence about getting now is the time to pick it up ;)

I have no problems with Cryptic trying to make money this way and I prefer this way to the heavy handed dilithium sinks that we have in game now.

Soon we'll have to pay Dilithium to re-spawn :rolleyes:

Yes, good time to grab something if you were thinking about it. Went ahead an picked up a Guardian for my Fed Eng, nice ship I have to say. I may pick up one more T6 before the days out, just not sure whether it will be another FEd T6, or a Rom or KDF T6.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    Yes, good time to grab something if you were thinking about it. Went ahead an picked up a Guardian for my Fed Eng, nice ship I have to say. I may pick up one more T6 before the days out, just not sure whether it will be another FEd T6, or a Rom or KDF T6.

The sale still going on? I bought some Zen a few hours ago and did get the regular bonus only. Also the sale wasn't there anymore.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The sale still going on? I bought some Zen a few hours ago and did get the regular bonus only. Also the sale wasn't there anymore.

Yeah, it ended (just looked), but I picked up the Guardian yesterday evening on the sale.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014

You know, Black Friday (like TGIF!) usually only refers to Friday. :P It was a 24 hours sale only. And it ain't Friday no more.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    You know, Black Friday (like TGIF!) usually only refers to Friday. :P It was a 24 hours sale only. And it ain't Friday no more.

Klugsch... ;-)

ahmm yes, but me living on se other side of the planet, I wasnt sure about the Timezone .. thingy.

And I thought the sale would be up until monday. Thats then Tuesday morning here with me I think.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Klugsch... ;-)

ahmm yes, but me living on se other side of the planet, I wasnt sure about the Timezone .. thingy.

And I thought the sale would be up until monday. Thats then Tuesday morning here with me I think.

I think the 15% Zen promo is still on (and, for me, ends Sunday, at 6 PM). Black Friday sales has sadly ended, though.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I think the 15% Zen promo is still on (and, for me, ends Sunday, at 6 PM). Black Friday sales has sadly ended, though.

Didnt receive any prom.. oh wait, the promo was only for certain payment methods... and I used Paysafecards :eek:

... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh *runs away from the thread*
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Exactly what the title says.

Cryptic's grabbing desperately for money. I wouldn't spend a dime on this game right now.
    Seriously, OP?

PWE's recent financials showed North America sales had slowed.
    We don't know the exact number of players gained or lost with the Delta Rising expansion.
    Black Friday sales are now de facto sales cycles each post-Thanksgiving (U.S.).

Of course it's a money grab.

This is another reason where the STO community gets a bad rep. Why rag on a great sale?

If profits are down, you all can scream "DOOOOMMM!!" Or take advantage of the sale to help Cryptic (and PWE) -- more specifically STO's longevity.

What I REALLY HOPE: Executive producer Stephen D'Angelo and other execs look at the sales #s and see how many players are boosting their alts. I think that's the most tragic aspect of this game right now: creating a play atmosphere that discourages alts.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    What I REALLY HOPE: Executive producer Stephen D'Angelo and other execs look at the sales #s and see how many players are boosting their alts. I think that's the most tragic aspect of this game right now: creating a play atmosphere that discourages alts.

^^ This. Alts (used for anything else than doffing) are dead.

Don't brood over XP tables; do your metrics on the progression of alts. I bet you 1:17 that the chart looks dismal. :(
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    bulvynebulvyne Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Desperate or not - I frankly don't care. I spent $150 and am pretty damned happy about it. :)

A sale that benefits the playerbase, yet there are always gonna be haters bagging on something, whether it causes us inconvenience or gives us a benefit.

Some people just can't be pleased.
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    Seriously, OP?

PWE's recent financials showed North America sales had slowed.
    We don't know the exact number of players gained or lost with the Delta Rising expansion.
    Black Friday sales are now de facto sales cycles each post-Thanksgiving (U.S.).

Of course it's a money grab.

This is another reason where the STO community gets a bad rep. Why rag on a great sale?

If profits are down, you all can scream "DOOOOMMM!!" Or take advantage of the sale to help Cryptic (and PWE) -- more specifically STO's longevity.

This game needs to become more Alt Friendly and fast IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    This goes to meimeitoo:

Simpsons: Tapped Out still has a Black Friday sale going on, and it is Sunday where I am.

Now say something smart... :D:P
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    This goes to meimeitoo:

Simpsons: Tapped Out still has a Black Friday sale going on, and it is Sunday where I am.

Now say something smart... :D:P

Doh! :P

/120
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm putting most of my efforts in to my fed tac but every time I log on to even my 3 other primary characters I look at the crumbs of specialisation I'm getting from doffing and some pve missions and groan.

At this rate I'll be seriously considering dumbing down to just 1 toon, the rest farmers online and where possible, accolades. This way I imagine I'll grind so much less, play less and start enjoying other games.

I was almost encouraged to buy Zen with the boost but I'm struggling to justify giving Cryptic/PWE more money. I've spent 100 zen I already had on bof slots and ship slots for my main, that's all. It could have been more but not for characters I'm not going to invest in.