test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion: Let Romulans use their allies T6 ships

priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
Seriously, how hard would the devs have to work to implement this?

Pros:

1.) Romulans might fly something besides the Scimitar
2.) Romulans get access to decent starship traits
3.) Cryptic gets more money, because I know that Romulan Science Officers would shell out immediately for a Scryer or Dauntless, or that neato burrito Gorn science ship
4.) Cryptic can officially shelve the Romulan Republic, which they seem to want to do, and don't have to waste any more precious dev time on their ugly, redheaded stepchild of a faction.

Cons:

1.) Might take more than 5 minutes to implement in-game.
2.) You'd probably never see a warbird ever again
3.) Klinks still starve for ships (which sucks. I feel you, my bloodthirsty friends)

Eh? EH? SOUNDS GOOD, YEAH? Good! Let's throw it in next patch! Great idea, go team!
Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
Post edited by priestofsin420 on

Comments

• tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    so roms get the best of both worlds?
    how about 'no'?
  • priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited November 2014
    so roms get the best of both worlds?
    how about 'no'?

This would allow more development time for Klingons. We never have to make a warbird again! It'll be great.

Seriously though, it always struck me as idiotic that Romulans cannot fly the T5+ versions of their allies ships, especially since we could fly every other level of ship as soon as we settled on a faction choice. Why take it away?

You say "why do romulans get the best of both worlds?", I say "why did you take away my ability to fly all the cool ships? Warbirds suck."
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I am against this notion.
    Not because I fear Romulan would be too OP, but because of a simple thing called faction pride.

That's just me though. Would hate Romulans to fly anything other then Romulan or factionless ships in endgame. I even hate them being able to fly non-Romulan ships during levelling.
    "why did you take away my ability to fly all the cool ships? Warbirds suck."

Many Warbirds are among the best ships ingame right now. Learn to use them.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited November 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    I see plenty of Romulans captaining something other than the Scimitar.

Sorry for resorting to hyperbole, but do you honestly see that many flying ANYTHING beyond the scimitar? It's the best ship we've got. Bar none. It's noob friendly, and can TRIBBLE out truly extraordinary levels of DPS. I feel like Cryptic gave us the Scimmy, and then said "welp, that's enough of that faction. Time to make more fed stuff!"
  • mm06360mm06360 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Pros:

3.) Cryptic gets more money, because I know that Romulan Science Officers would shell out immediately for a Scryer or Dauntless, or that neato burrito Gorn science ship
    4.) Cryptic can officially shelve the Romulan Republic, which they seem to want to do, and don't have to waste any more precious dev time on their ugly, redheaded stepchild of a faction.

Cons:

3.) Klinks still starve for ships (which sucks. I feel you, my bloodthirsty friends)

Eh? EH? SOUNDS GOOD, YEAH? Good! Let's throw it in next patch! Great idea, go team!

This can only be bad.

I have a tac rommie... the last thing a tac rommie needs is that one trait from the T6 tac ship on a Scimitar.That would just break things.
    edited November 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    I am against this notion.
    Not because I fear Romulan would be too OP, but because of a simple thing called faction pride.

That's just me though. Would hate Romulans to fly anything other then Romulan or factionless ships in endgame. I even hate them being able to fly non-Romulan ships during levelling.

Many Warbirds are among the best ships ingame right now. Learn to use them.

I'm aware of the nature of Warbirds, but as a Science officer I really have no options. It's idiotic how I have to purchase a Lockbox ship just to get a decent science vessel.
    Either don't play a Romulan or buy a Lockbox ship if you don't like Warbirds. No one is forcing you to fly them.

I do fly a lockbox ship. Want to know why? Because I have no options, disregarding that horrible Fleet science ship that has all the agility of a boat anchor tied to a short-bus. I love my R'Mor, I do, but I'd like to fly something different that isn't tac or engineering heavy. And my only other options are MORE lockbox ships.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Pros:

Cons:

Okay

1.) This would not take "just five minutes" to implement. It would require some serious code rewriting. Never assume that technology is as simple as a flick of a switch. It is way more complicated than that.

2.) The less intelligence Romulans are allowed to have, the lesser the chances of them falling back into bad habits like "spying" and " sabotage". These guys are paranoid recluses by nature. They get ONE Intelligence vessel because they need to wean off their terrible addiction to being sneaky.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm aware of the nature of Warbirds, but as a Science officer I really have no options. It's idiotic how I have to purchase a Lockbox ship just to get a decent science vessel.

Ah, well. You have a point here. Romulans are really weak on the Science side.
    The solution would be another Romulan science vessel, not access to foreign vessels, imho.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Don't give them ideas. With how mean-spirited they seem to have become since DR, I would not at all be surprised if, in their next double-speak nerf post, they talk about how they are officially folding the Republic into either the Federation or...heck, while we're at it, might as well make the KDF apart of the Federation now, too. There's no longer any conflict between the two, so why not? No more new warbirds, just shell out the money for those new technological monstrosities we keep pumping out for the Federation!
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • mm06360mm06360 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Okay

2.) The less intelligence Romulans are allowed to have, the lesser the chances of them falling back into bad habits like "spying" and " sabotage". These guys are paranoid recluses by nature. They get ONE Intelligence vessel because they need to wean off their terrible addiction to being sneaky.

Guys... He's on to us...

<.< >.>
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Sorry for resorting to hyperbole, but do you honestly see that many flying ANYTHING beyond the scimitar? It's the best ship we've got. Bar none. It's noob friendly, and can TRIBBLE out truly extraordinary levels of DPS. I feel like Cryptic gave us the Scimmy, and then said "welp, that's enough of that faction. Time to make more fed stuff!"

How many do you think fly the Scimmy because it is the best of a bad lot hangar ship wise? If the c-store double d had been a flight deck cruiser type with access to frigates I wonder how many would have chosen that instead.
    edited November 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Ah, well. You have a point here. Romulans are really weak on the Science side.
    The solution would be another Romulan science vessel, not access to foreign vessels, imho.

Oh, that would be ideal. But that'd cost money, and take effort. Since they only seem to like to make Federation ships at this point, my suggestion seems do-able in comparison.
    Don't give them ideas. With how mean-spirited they seem to have become since DR, I would not at all be surprised if, in their next double-speak nerf post, they talk about how they are officially folding the Republic into either the Federation or...heck, while we're at it, might as well make the KDF apart of the Federation now, too. There's no longer any conflict between the two, so why not? No more new warbirds, just shell out the money for those new technological monstrosities we keep pumping out for the Federation!

I know quite a few players who'd like to see the "factions" die, and just allow grouping between all factions, unrestricted. I'm not really one of them, but I can't say I'd cry much if it happened. I have zero faction pride. Probably a symptom of my career choice.
    edited November 2014

No, we got one intel ship for the same reason why the Klingons got one intel ship: Cryptic devs are cheap TRIBBLE that realize it's far more profitable to squeeze money out of the slightly larger portion of their playerbase.

We don't need an intel ship to keep up our status as the "sneaky TRIBBLE" of the galaxy, thank you very much.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Seriously though, it always struck me as idiotic that Romulans cannot fly the T5+ versions of their allies ships, especially since we could fly every other level of ship as soon as we settled on a faction choice. Why take it away?

Well because the point of flying the T4 and lower ships isn't just to captain a FED or KDF ship but gain access to the ship-unlocked universal consoles. If the romulans DIDN'T have those (despite their FED/KDF alliance) then they'd be in a sorry state indeed in terms of faction equipment (in spite of the effort of cross faction console boxes). However because most T5/6 ship consoles are ship locked, there's less reason for Rompulan players to be captaining allied ships (so the other side wins out in this balance of arguments).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited November 2014
    I know quite a few players who'd like to see the "factions" die, and just allow grouping between all factions, unrestricted. I'm not really one of them, but I can't say I'd cry much if it happened. I have zero faction pride. Probably a symptom of my career choice.

Completely getting rid of factions is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. A simpler solution would be to make grouping between factions easier, and make more science ships (or more ships in general, really) for the Republic.

That said, and all bitter joking aside, it's not likely that Cryptic will implement either my or your suggestions, since that would take too much money and development time away from pumping out the next Federation or Lockbox ship.
    edited November 2014
    decronia wrote: »
    How many do you think fly the Scimmy because it is the best of a bad lot hangar ship wise? If the c-store double d had been a flight deck cruiser type with access to frigates I wonder how many would have chosen that instead.

Oh, a romulan carrier would be the bees-knees! It's a shame we won't get one. Because it costs money. And there aren't enough of us, apparently, to generate enough revenue to justify the development costs. I'd love to be proven wrong, but here I sit...
    Yes, I do.

Are any of those players doing any respectable DPS? Do those players have good builds? Can they out-dps a scimitar?
    No, we got one intel ship for the same reason why the Klingons got one intel ship: Cryptic devs are cheap TRIBBLE that realize it's far more profitable to squeeze money out of the slightly larger portion of their playerbase.

We don't need an intel ship to keep up our status as the "sneaky TRIBBLE" of the galaxy, thank you very much.

The difference, is that the Ha'Mat (or whatever it's called) is amazing. Our intel ships are laughably bad (a crappy t'varo clone and an ugly slightly less awful d'deridex clone, with terrible traits), so the Klingons got the slightly longer end of the stick.
    edited November 2014
    Completely getting rid of factions is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. A simpler solution would be to make grouping between factions easier, and make more science ships (or more ships in general, really) for the Republic.

That said, and all bitter joking aside, it's not likely that Cryptic will implement either my or your suggestions, since that would take too much money and development time away from pumping out the next Federation or Lockbox ship.

Hence my suggestion, which takes no effort. I've long given up hope after seeing the not-so-good (awful) intel ships the Republic recieved (OOH! Another tac-heavy ship! We surely didn't have enough of those!), and it's salting the wound to see all the science ships feds are getting lately.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This is a terrible idea. PvP is unbalanced enough as it is. We don't need Romulans flying their allies' T6 ships and taking advantage of both starship mastery traits.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
    edited November 2014
    Oh, a romulan carrier would be the bees-knees! It's a shame we won't get one. Because it costs money. And there aren't enough of us, apparently, to generate enough revenue to justify the development costs. I'd love to be proven wrong, but here I sit...

I never said carrier as that requires two hangar bays. I would like one myself too. However you asked if we could see flying anything other than the Scimmy. I do wonder how many are flying it because it is the best of a bad choice in this area. I fly the Scimmy for this reason but I do not use the Tac version, it is the engi one I am running on.

There is only one thing that would get me out of my Scimmy, Vesta and mirror Vo'Quv and that would be new t6 carriers or new single hangar ships across the board. None of the new ships so far spark my interest, and some are so ugly they make my whiptail scorp look lovely and that is so ugly it makes your teeth hurt.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hence my suggestion, which takes no effort. I've long given up hope after seeing the not-so-good (awful) intel ships the Republic recieved (OOH! Another tac-heavy ship! We surely didn't have enough of those!), and it's salting the wound to see all the science ships feds are getting lately.

Another idea may be more along the lines of the Dyson ships. Next time they make a new FED "X", create a KDF and ROM skin for it. I know that modeling is probably not the least intensive part of the process, and this wouldn't exaclty help the ROM and KDF feel like well-developed equals ot the FED, but it would reduce the work load by some degree and give the barest possible support to those that need it most in the game.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited November 2014
    It doesn't matter. There are players out there who do not have "good builds" (whatever that means) and do not do "respectable DPS" (whatever that means) in all kinds of ships across factions.

Your posts are sounding more and more like "I don't like the Scimitar" posts. If you don't like it, don't pilot one.

Actually, my main griping point of my posts was the lack of decent T6 ships for Romulans. Perhaps I should have edited the OP to read: Competent Romulan Players who can do Elite Queues Regularly might fly something other than the scimitar. Ever notice most of those "DPS Record" logs? The romulans are usually flying a Scimitar, or a Recluse.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Game is so broken anyway, you can give this guy a flying unicorn if he wants one. At this point, I'm not sure anything can make an even bigger mess than it already is.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited November 2014
    This would allow more development time for Klingons. We never have to make a warbird again! It'll be great.

You say "why do romulans get the best of both worlds?", I say "why did you take away my ability to fly all the cool ships? Warbirds suck."

no, it would be the end of the klingons. this battle was already fought before LoR was released, and the consensus was that if romulans were allowed their OP boffs, traits, singularity gimmicks, etc AND got all the goodies of their ally faction... what reason would anyone have to roll anything but a romulan?

romulans are one of the worst things that ever came to sto. giving them complete access to t5/t6 ships is unthinkable. if you want to fly a t5 kdf ship, roll a vanilla kdf.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Whe have the Aves Dyson Science Destroyer, i have no problems with it.. fast, upgradeable, with the new materials looks great, and if i need some more firepower, i act
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This defeats the point of having factions.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
    edited November 2014
    This is a terrible idea. PvP is unbalanced enough as it is. We don't need Romulans flying their allies' T6 ships and taking advantage of both starship mastery traits.

PVP is dead, Jim. It's been dead a long time. Intel skills and the incessant power-creep that comes with upgrading gear to goldies was the final nail in the coffin. Probably best to pull it from the game at this point, unless the dedicated PvPers are a significant source of money.
    Another idea may be more along the lines of the Dyson ships. Next time they make a new FED "X", create a KDF and ROM skin for it. I know that modeling is probably not the least intensive part of the process, and this wouldn't exaclty help the ROM and KDF feel like well-developed equals ot the FED, but it would reduce the work load by some degree and give the barest possible support to those that need it most in the game.

I'd love a romulan skinned Scryer. It could be the Scryer 100% copied over with a battlecloak (or not) and a singularity core (or not), and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But, that takes a little effort.
    edited November 2014
    no, it would be the end of the klingons. this battle was already fought before LoR was released, and the consensus was that if romulans were allowed their OP boffs, traits, singularity gimmicks, etc AND got all the goodies of their ally faction... what reason would anyone have to roll anything but a romulan?

romulans are one of the worst things that ever came to sto. giving them complete access to t5/t6 ships is unthinkable. if you want to fly a t5 kdf ship, roll a vanilla kdf.

They would lose the singularity abilities which some wouyldn't miss for better powerlevels, and some of the traits rely on cloaking and so couild be changed to work only on Roumlan ships, they could even make it that you can't use RR BOFFs on none RR ships.

As it is RR and KDF are just being left behind ship wise and even as someone who plays a main Fed I find this to be wrong.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    PVP is dead, Jim. It's been dead a long time. Intel skills and the incessant power-creep that comes with upgrading gear to goldies was the final nail in the coffin. Probably best to pull it from the game at this point, unless the dedicated PvPers are a significant source of money.

One could make the same argument for the rest of the game.

"STO is dead, Jim. It's been dead a long time. XP nerfs and excessive grinding are the final nails in the coffin. Probably best to pull the game at this point, unless the dedicated players are a significant source of money."

We're in the same sinking boat as you. Don't throw us overboard.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
    edited November 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Game is so broken anyway, you can give this guy a flying unicorn if he wants one. At this point, I'm not sure anything can make an even bigger mess than it already is.

I believe I saw one of those the other day.

No, people who wanted to play as a Klingon would simply roll a Klingon. You seem quite dedicated to it, would you really re-roll as a Romulan aligned KDF if you were given the option to do so? For that slightly boosted crit chance? Especially now that you can get crit chance so high on a non rom, that it's become the norm to stack CrtD instead of Acc?
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Whe have the Aves Dyson Science Destroyer, i have no problems with it.. fast, upgradeable, with the new materials looks great, and if i need some more firepower, i act
    edited November 2014
    decronia wrote: »
    They would lose the singularity abilities which some wouyldn't miss for better powerlevels, and some of the traits rely on cloaking and so couild be changed to work only on Roumlan ships, they could even make it that you can't use RR BOFFs on none RR ships.

As it is RR and KDF are just being left behind ship wise and even as someone who plays a main Fed I find this to be wrong.

obviously a romulan in a brel loses singularity (why he would choose the brel over the tvaro is another question entirely), but the point is that he would have an option that the vanilla kdf would not have.
    this is a complete non-starter. cryptic initially intended to do exactly what op is proposing, and the player base made it very clear they did not approve.

No, people who wanted to play as a Klingon would simply roll a Klingon. You seem quite dedicated to it, would you really re-roll as a Romulan aligned KDF if you were given the option to do so? For that slightly boosted crit chance? Especially now that you can get crit chance so high on a non rom, that it's become the norm to stack CrtD instead of Acc?
    i wouldnt, no. but i bet it would be the standard advice for every new player entering sto! a fair number of existing players would do so as well. after LoR i saw the vast majority of hobo pvp rolling and leveling roms to stay competitive.