test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - season 2 (SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited October 2014
    Soo... Not a whole lot happens. HYDRA shows off a new toy(chameleon masks) and SHIELD looks for a weird painting with that indecipherable script on the back.

New stuff going forward: Fitz is getting better, Whitehall tries to force Raina to give him the Obelisk, and Coulson figures out that the thing that makes the painting special is NEW while the painting itself is old, thus they know that Coulson isn't the only person on the planet who can write like that.

Actually, the chameleon mask was used by Black Widow in The Winter Soldier. So it is the first Hydra's used it on screen, but the second appearance.

There's the question of whether faux-May survived the shock. Likely she did not, but if she did (maybe the mask took the brunt of the blow shorting out) then Hydra now knows who is SHIELD director, something they recently admitted they didn't know.

There's also the question of why someone would use an antique painting as their carving board in the first place. There's plenty of good drywall around. Oh, and what's with everyone carving the language? Why not permanent marker?

And Skye is working on something at the end. Still on the parentage hunt?

I'm curious why they never use Whitehall/Reinhart/Kraken's German accent in the present day. I realize his American accent would be used as a public disguise, but he's usually among fellow Hydra agents, and I've noticed that people who can mimic other accents tend to slip into their native one when they are not putting on an act.

By the way, I though that was a pretty good fight May had.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah I was surprised by how long the May fight lasted.

But... I'm not surprised by Whitehall never speaking in a German accent. How many decades has he been practicing his American accent? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I loved the May Squared fight, very well choreographed. As for Whitehalls accent, if he's been alive since the war, it's most likely to be his 'real' accent now, if he was frozen, or something, then defrosted it would make sense to practice it as often as possible.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    I loved the May Squared fight, very well choreographed. As for Whitehalls accent, if he's been alive since the war, it's most likely to be his 'real' accent now, if he was frozen, or something, then defrosted it would make sense to practice it as often as possible.

Agreed on the fight choreography. I suppose I can understand the "practice it" reason for speech. I've naturalized American friends from Germany dating back to WW2, and their accents are still native German despite 6 or 7 decades here. To each his own, I guess.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Well, Whitehall had a vested interest in learning to speak with an American accent. I had a friend a while back who was born German but made an effort to hide his accent. He hadn't been practicing as long as Whitehall, but he still managed to hdie it most of the time.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Well, Whitehall had a vested interest in learning to speak with an American accent. I had a friend a while back who was born German but made an effort to hide his accent. He hadn't been practicing as long as Whitehall, but he still managed to hdie it most of the time.

Hmm...is that so? New hope...I think I should start working on my Scottish accent. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I thought the parts with Skye's dad were interesting. He decides to make a deal with Whitehall to help him off Coulson.

But.... Neither of them has been named yet... and the lack of it was conspicuous. He actually pointed it out when Raina referred to his daughter as "Skye". This makes me wonder just how significant their real names actually are.

And of course we learn that Kraken is working on making a meta-plague out of the Obelisk/Diviner.

the most interesting thing.... Skye explains what that thing is that various people have drawn. A map...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    "...with just those fairy tales your grandmother told you." - Skye's dad to Reina.

I agree, the withholding of names suggests something important. There also seems to be a possible conflict here. On the one hand, Coulson's theory is that Skye has the same alien DNA as was used in the T.A.H.I.T.I. project. That would suggest Skye is Kree. However, the quote above has me still wondering if we're talking the dragon race. Reina's comment about Skye's dad losing control, as well as his glance in the mirror might just be the visible rage issues, but it also might be about maintaining a shape shifting.

I had a really off-the-wall weird thought just came to me while typing that up. Skye's dad has shown rage control issues, and a quick summation by the SHIELD team suggested he killed one victim by sheer strength. What if he's a gamma mutate...er, "wonder", that pre-dates Bruce Banner? Not quite sure how that would fit in with Skye, but it might explain how her body suffers no ill effects of the GH treatment. (Yeah, totally crazy. I'm really tired. Off to bed.)

EDIT: forgot to mention -- I called it right weeks ago when I said a lot of this season might look like a Mission:Impossible show. Also...Mockingbird!!! Great job introducing her!
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    the most interesting thing.... Skye explains what that thing is that various people have drawn. A map...

I read a theory that it's not a geographical map, but a genetic map, thus opening the door to Inhumans in the future, and circumventing the No Mutants Allowed problem.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    One suggestion I saw is that he's Mr. Hyde... but that doesn't fit the alien angle.

Also, there was that scene at the end where he beat up a Hydra soldier by smacking him with the case.... but not in the face. He knocked the guy down and hit the guy in the chest(and body armor) with it until he stopped moving.

The genetic map idea fits best when you consider that the Obelisk displays the symbols on it's surface.... maybe that's how it kills people? It attempts to re-write their DNA? Some people are immune because their DNA already matches the profile.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The genetic map idea fits best when you consider that the Obelisk displays the symbols on it's surface.... maybe that's how it kills people? It attempts to re-write their DNA? Some people are immune because their DNA already matches the profile.

It is an intriguing theory, and one that befits the Obelisk's other name, the Diviner. If it "divines" who has the genetic potential to be "the next stage in evolution" as Marvel's mutant comic storyline likes to state, and destroys the rest, this fits with the understanding that there will be Inhumans coming to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. However, it does not seem to answer the statement made by Skye's dad to Reinhardt/Whitehall that he could "teach" him to be accepted by the Obelisk. (Unless he's referring to a genetic rewrite. It is a glorified comic book, after all.)

This also makes me wonder if the weapons Hydra has constructed from their retro-engineering of the Obelisk's killing mechanism won't work on some people who would be "accepted".

Tying in with all this, I read an interesting theory that Skye's dad might be Maximus the Mad.

LATEST EPISODE:
    Love the twist towards the end. One almost feels sorry for Ward...almost. I'm wondering if Senator Ward will become the Senator Kelly of the MCU.

Also, loved the chain fight for May.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I must be the only one who watches but hasn't a clue whats going on as I didn't read the comics. I keep watching so I can see what happens to Lucy Lawless's character, and because Bobbi Morse's leather pants fit so perfectly well.
    ;)

Oh, the knife fight with May gave me flashbacks of the bar scene in kill bill, very well done.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I think Senator Ward is probably just as evil as his brother claims. I think that both of them are unredeemably vile people inside. But, for the moment, it benefits SHIELD to let the senator think they like him.

Yeah, I'm curious about that thing with Lucy's character too. It seems odd to off her like that. Then again.... they apparently offed Hand in much the same way.

And yeah, Hydra's tinkering might do things they don't expect in the future.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Tying in with all this, I read an interesting theory that Skye's dad might be Maximus the Mad.

Interesting idea.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    well, this ep made things lot more clear..... yet left out a few key names....

1: Skye is not a hybrid. BOTH her parents were.... whatever.

2: It seems that it was in fact HYDRA that wiped out that village, NOT Skye's father.

3: In fact Whitehall killed her mother personally and extracted something from her that allowed him to make himself younger.

4: The diviner is probably a Terrigen crystal, or something similar.... he mentioned that if you take it to a certain place it does something interesting.... for those chosen few who are destined to be the next stage of human evolution.... like Skye.

5: oh and former agent Ward killed his brother and parents and framed his brother for it.... then offered to work for Whitehall...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    well, this ep made things lot more clear..... yet left out a few key names....

1: Skye is not a hybrid. BOTH her parents were.... whatever.

I think it's getting to be pretty obvious by now that they're Inhumans.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,403 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    4: The diviner is probably a Terrigen crystal, or something similar.... he mentioned that if you take it to a certain place it does something interesting.... for those chosen few who are destined to be the next stage of human evolution.... like Skye.
    Well, in classic Marvel lore, exposure to the Terrigen Mists, while empowering to Inhumans, will kill most baseline humans - except that between the abandonment of the Inhumans by the Kree ten thousand years ago, and the establishment of Attilan, Inhumans mingled with humans, so their genes are scattered around the world. Any human with sufficient Inhuman ancestry who's exposed to the Mists will get powers.

And if Skye's full Inhuman, well...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, it does seem likely that they're Inhumans.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited November 2014

5: oh and former agent Ward killed his brother and parents and framed his brother for it.... then offered to work for Whitehall...

Ward strikes me as playing his own game at this point. Whether he's solely the manipulative weasel his brother claims or whether he also has a touch of crazy-like-a-fox anti-hero, I'm not sure. He did send Coulson a "gift", which SHIELD is using for information. Of course, this also creates a vacancy Whitehall needs to fill just when Ward shows up. It almost seems like Ward is manipulating both sides to a showdown of his making. Ward just might be the Joker of this series, an agent of chaos.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If Whitehall took important bits from Skye's mom, I wonder if that means he can actually safely touch the Diviner? Or would it be offended that he stole the bits, and still not consider him worthy?
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    If Whitehall took important bits from Skye's mom, I wonder if that means he can actually safely touch the Diviner? Or would it be offended that he stole the bits, and still not consider him worthy?

He didn't take bits from her mom, just some woman. We could see later how her father finds his dead wife, I doubt they were putting her in a dress and dumping her in the woods. :o
  • Options
    ratonhaggedonratonhaggedon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    He didn't take bits from her mom, just some woman. We could see later how her father finds his dead wife, I doubt they were putting her in a dress and dumping her in the woods. :o

that woman was skye's mother.get your intel straight
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Indeed, it was her mother. The entirety of the flashbacks made that facet very, very clear.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,403 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Come to think of it, it seems unlikely that Daddy Dearest has gone all these years without learning that Reinhardt/Whitehall was behind what happened to his wife - and the loss of his daughter. Yet here he is, claiming to be willing to work with Whitehall and Hydra. Because he wants to kill the people who took everything away from him.

I have the oddest feeling that, despite the impression he was trying to put across, Daddy wasn't talking about SHIELD "holding" his daughter...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    He knows Whitehall killed his wife. The episode ended with him mentioning looking his enemies right in the eye - and he looked Whitehall right in the eye when he did so.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm not sure why I did not interpret the episode in that way regarding Skyes mother.

But anyway, the whole bit about her parents being monsters and killing everyone in the village was non-sense then. Her father surely has some rage issues but is certainly not a monster and all her mother did is scream a lot and die.... :o
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm not sure why I did not interpret the episode in that way regarding Skyes mother.

But anyway, the whole bit about her parents being monsters and killing everyone in the village was non-sense then. Her father surely has some rage issues but is certainly not a monster and all her mother did is scream a lot and die.... :o
    First, we have to keep in mind that SHIELD intel might not know the whole story as to what happened to Skye's parents - SHIELD knew nothing about Hydra 25 years ago, or even 1 year ago. So the assumption could easily be made that Skye's father's rage is what killed the village.

It's clear Skye's father's rage is formidable. Even Whitehall had him surrounded by agents due to one of his off-camera rage-fits while with Hydra. I do not know if Skye's father is a Inhuman hybrid himself or maybe he was exposed to the Mist while with Skye's mother. Whatever the case he is probably something more then just crazy human.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Yeah, I don't think SHIELD has the whole story. Then again... It would seem that no one does.

One interesting note is that we know that Skye's mother was someone that Whitehall met back in the 40s. It was why he picked her out of the group from the village. Sooo that means she had enhanced longevity.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    One interesting note is that we know that Skye's mother was someone that Whitehall met back in the 40s. It was why he picked her out of the group from the village. Sooo that means she had enhanced longevity.

Which would be consistent with the comics if she was indeed an Inhuman. Quoting the Wikipedia article on Inhumans:
    Even without using the Terrigen Mist, the Kree modifications, combined with centuries of selective breeding, have given all Inhumans certain advantages. Their average lifespan is 150 years and an Inhuman in good physical condition possesses strength, reaction time, speed, and endurance greater than the finest of human athletes.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ward strikes me as playing his own game at this point. Whether he's solely the manipulative weasel his brother claims or whether he also has a touch of crazy-like-a-fox anti-hero, I'm not sure. He did send Coulson a "gift", which SHIELD is using for information. Of course, this also creates a vacancy Whitehall needs to fill just when Ward shows up. It almost seems like Ward is manipulating both sides to a showdown of his making. Ward just might be the Joker of this series, an agent of chaos.

I think the whole game is about one goal - getting into Skye's pants. Or at least back in her trust.

Since he knows he won't be accepted by his former co-workers currently ,he will join the other team and wreck it from the inside in some manner that he at least hopes/imagines convinces him that he can be one of the good guys. Doesn't mean it will work out, of course.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.