Install Arc

Need a reason to grind:

2»

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yes, like what?
    • PVP-> lol
    • Exploration-> lol.. the only exploration you can do in this game is to search for bugs in the new maps.
    • Fleet raids-> lol.. there is only a few missions that allow 20 players and thouse are boring as hell..
    • Crafting-> lol.. sure, if they have a year to grind or a lot of money to spend.
    • Foundry-> We try to make spanish missions (we are a spanish fleet), but then a new patch destroyed all and we stop even trying.
    • Roleplay-> We do that, not even 1% is intrested.

So, again.. what are thouse TONS of fun things other that the boring and repetitive PVE queue missions? Sure, grinding dil in dyson is an option, or doing defera for 100 times.. but is that end game?

Hell, we even make costume contests.. now we are even running a "selfy" contest but then again, the game does not help. Now, if you find that doing 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times the same PVE queues over and over again is fun, good for you!. I congratulate you.. most players dont (then again, thouse player dont came in to the forum and complain, they just leave).

Now, put your hand on your chest, and let the fanboy aside and ask your self this question: how many ppl that you know from a year ago are still in this game and how many left beacose "there is nothing to do". I know a LOOOT of ppl, with in my fleet (the biggest spanish fleet in the game by far) and a looot from out side my fleet. And yes, I know that is not a mathematical prooft of anything, but even so.. make your self that question.

If thats all you think theres in the game, you need to go back, and re-do all the missions... take your time this time... Theres alot hidden around the missions
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • cervantxcervantx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    If thats all you think theres in the game, you need to go back, and re-do all the missions... take your time this time... Theres alot hidden around the missions

Yes missions maybe ok (well thats just matter of tastes) but the problem with is that missions are supossed to ple played once(yes can be replayed) but once to advance in a story arc, then if you make al missions and arguably enjoy all the sotry arc the question raises, ¿whats the point on mmo? all the story arcs are intended to be single player and when you have done all that you are left with the options before noted, now if there is someting hidden in missions that can make the game a lot more enjoyable pls share, you would be making to the players and cryptic a huge favor, dam you coud be acknowledge as an true hero for the game like a true Kirk to say.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/7dY4yCA.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    GG Cryptic.

dnirg eht nioj
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have never really understood this aversion with grind, maybe its because im old school when it comes to computer games but there has always been a grind of one form or another in most of the pc games I have played, even the off line version.

take sim city as an example, you start with x amount of finances you build up your city, hope to get your figures right and grind more money to reinvest and build more, to grind more money.

or elite you start with a ship you run missions to grind more wealth so you can buy bigger ships to travel further and take more missions that will grind you more wealth so you can grind for even bigger ships and so on.

but although the grind is always there it is fun playing the game with an end goal and enjoying the sense of achievement when you get there.

im enjoying playing the game to amass dilithium and ec so I can upgrade gear, im enjoying playing the game so I can win enough marks to get to level 60 and at the same time adding to my ship masterys and captain specializations.
    without the goals being set by cryptic there would be nothing to play for, sure it would be fun to run the game occationally just to blast a few baddies but with no end goal to aim for it would all be a bit hollow.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    OP, the only reason you need to grind is to keep the mighty Chinese Overlords happy.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Yea, that is the part when I said "make another character".. I know my english is not perfect, but do you even read?

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think I found what you did wrong

Take a good look at the game... There are TONS of things that some 80-90% of the players arent even close to having discovered first time around.

Agreed

When somebody asks "what now" you tell them every single activity they can do at their level. Its up to them to decide if they find that activity fun or not, you dont make that decision for them. I might not do STO pvp, or Defara dailies or find them fun to do...but i would still suggest them as activities to someone asking what there is to do. If they find that they like running around on Defara or blowing up players in pvp then yay! thats good on them.
    edited November 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    When somebody asks "what now" you tell them every single activity they can do at their level. Its up to them to decide if they find that activity fun or not, you dont make that decision for them. I might not do STO pvp, or Defara dailies or find them fun to do...but i would still suggest them as activities to someone asking what there is to do. If they find that they like running around on Defara or blowing up players in pvp then yay! thats good on them.

And that is the problem that OP bring.. in most succesfull games, when some one reach max lvl you start the endgame content, and the endgame content is "you now need to prepear your character for this" (that been PVP, challange PVE, a trader with crafting or what ever you want to do). The grind is the preparation for "that thing".

In STO is "now you can grind so the grind is shorter" and that is the difinition of the game. The PVE queues act as a grind for the rep system, with the rep system you have new stuff that you use to make the SAME PVE queues in less time. Same goes with the battlezones.

This is not a discucion if the lvl 50 missions are fun or not, is not about that. You can have fun doing 1000 times ISE and I respect that.. but the END GAME contect of this game is the PVE QUEUES, and that is about it (now even battlezones are level at 50 when you are even 60).

Are the lvl 60 quest fun? That is a personal question, WHAT we are discussing here, what the OP said, is that now that you have all the new stuff, you master the queues and you want more challange, then what?

So if you don't like it leave... simple its not hard.. just go and find another game were you do the same thing million times... you:)

And you stop telling ppl to leave beacose they dont like some aspect of the game and they are vocal about it. You do not own their free time and you dont decide what they do on their free time. If they dont like X thing of a game, and they are vocal about it they are on their right if they do it with respect.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And that is the problem that OP bring.. ?[/B]

I'll say it again...you should not decide for other people if an activity is fun or not, let them figure it out on their own. I know that a lot of level cap stuff in STO isnt fun, you know it isnt fun, the people on the SWTOR and WoW forums know they arent fun, even my dog and my cat know they arent fun. For a new player, especially one that has not played other grindy mmos before they might actually find a lot of stuff fun that you or I find boring. If i tell them to do an activity they will know soon enough if it is grindy or not.

About the only advice i might give since i find the stuff so boring is i will tell them everything that there is to do. But i will tell them not to spend a lot of money on the game. This is just in case they find out very quickly that the game *is* boring. I would tell them to wait a while before spending money...or maybe just spend a little bit in the beginning. If they find the game to be a lot of fun then they can spend more.
  • hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And that is the problem that OP bring.. in most succesfull games, when some one reach max lvl you start the endgame content, and the endgame content is "you now need to prepear your character for this" (that been PVP, challange PVE, a trader with crafting or what ever you want to do). The grind is the preparation for "that thing".

The paradigm has changed but you still seem to stuck in a pre-DR mindset. There is end game now. You can tell your fleetie to start gearing up for Advanced, after he's geared and completing Advanced easily he can start gearing up for Elite.
    The queued Advanced and Elite missions are the endgame content for this game. PvP would be the end content too if it got any love.
    edited November 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    I'll say it again...you should not decide for other people if an activity is fun or not.

[/sarcams on]No, I am the king of the STO, I decide whan all the players can play and what they can not play.. I am your lord.. [/sarcams off]
    The queued Advanced and Elite missions are the endgame content for this game.

To some it could be, to others end game missions needs to have a "skill" component, not just to "make a ship with a lot of DPS and spam the space bar".

PvP would be the end content too if it got any love.

Hope so, but I dont think so.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • glorthoxglorthox Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There is no incentive to play. No Tier gear or other gear to strive for to aid you in surviving or doing more damage in elite stfs. Upgrading seriously doesn't help. With everything costing absurd amounts of refined Dilithium, what is the point in playing? Elite space stfs used to be fun, especially with friends. Now most of friends don't play as much as they used to.

"Why should I have to create more toons in order to refine more Dilithium?" "The game is already "Grind" heavy."
  • nitefiuunitefiuu Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    dius1981 wrote: »
    The game is missing that one vital element...
    It Needs PvP content.

what content ? the whole pvp as game-mode became a joke with DR

it sure wasn't perfect beforehand since every expansion just kill'd a little part but DR just made it pointless to even bother imo

so on OP: there is absolutely no reason to grind since DR, if someone can prove me wrong ill gift away all my in-game values to that person
    Battle Trek Online: KILL EVERYTHING
  • dius1981dius1981 Member Posts: 500
    edited November 2014
    Hey I really dont mind the grind. And I still find PvE fun in the right situation. Full group of friends, all on TS...

All im saying is the content in the game is not enough of an incentive for the need to upgrade. Its simply overkill for NPC's.

So without a true pvp update, or even porting some of the pvp mechanics from say Neverwinter. I just dont get it I guess.

Whats the point, the cost is sooo dame high, why go through all that for NPC's.

I enjoy PvP, I enjoy STO. I just wish they actually had PvP in STO coz that would be a very good reason to want to upgrade my space gear.

D,
    OMEGA ARMADA & House of Beautiful Orions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please keep the QQ to a minimum.
    >>>PUNISH THE FEDs<<<
    >>>Positive Feedback from a PvE HERO<<<
  • nitefiuunitefiuu Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    neverwinter as wow_f2p ( that i meant a positive thing ) is an easier task to keep balanced, also its ground only - unlike sto where and when its about starships and techs and mass destruction. the fail of pvp side is almost expected/mandatory

but ye, i still like/prefer sto over anything but its "just" the star trek franchise/atmosphere what keeps this kicking for me.

hard to play sto if your are not a trekie fan by default
    Battle Trek Online: KILL EVERYTHING
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    To some it could be, to others end game missions needs to have a "skill" component, not just to "make a ship with a lot of DPS and spam the space bar".

Funny, I thought that was the point of Elite, not Advanced.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    NWS, before BFAW was as good as it got for end game scenario. Remember the first time you beat it, your heart pounding as a last-ditch maneuver and 1 other player survived to cross the finish line?

Suddenly elites seemed trite. But on the bright side there was people to play with in privates - or when you were looking for a challenge - the random pug or two could be fun.

The came the Great Fun Purge of 2014: Delta Rising.

Yeah the voiceovers were neat. Storyline compelling. But the combat was an endless slog if you could actually play while avoiding the dozen or so game-stopping bugs.

Suddenly Elite grounds are fun, and fairly close in difficulty to the old elites.

Space Elites are - well to put it mildly - a joke with boredom as the punchline.

Nothing kills the games enjoyment more than a boring slog. And no I don't feel it's necessary to have 30K dps just to compete.

But what killed it more than anything else was the loss in active players.

Perfect summary, I feel you.

I advise cryptic to remove the lame fail criteria (timers) from advanced/elite pve queued maps and give every player a reason to team up again. A better reward as incentive would work as well.

Its not as if we wouldn’t have two dozen cool pve maps out there. Cryptic just messed them up in a fashion that very few are left who like to run em.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yea, that is the part when I said "make another character".. I know my english is not perfect, but do you even read?

I am willing to bet, that the character you are running right now, has not found half of what there is to find.

You are simply locked in the thought pattern, that just because you've reached the finish-line, you noticed everything there was along the way.
    Starting over, and playing like you did before will simply make you miss it all over again.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I am extremely satisfied with MkXII very rare stuff for PvE. No desire for grinding and dumping a lot of resources for a very marginal gain.

As Kimberly "Sweet Brown" Wilkins said: "ain't nobody got time for that".
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • torachtorach Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hey I really dont mind the grind. And I still find PvE fun in the right situation. Full group of friends, all on TS...

All im saying is the content in the game is not enough of an incentive for the need to upgrade. Its simply overkill for NPC's.

So without a true pvp update, or even porting some of the pvp mechanics from say Neverwinter. I just dont get it I guess.

Whats the point, the cost is sooo dame high, why go through all that for NPC's.

I enjoy PvP, I enjoy STO. I just wish they actually had PvP in STO coz that would be a very good reason to want to upgrade my space gear.

D,

I don't think cryptic even realise what kind of potential for income they have if they would give some attention towards pvp...

There are still some active people that plays pvp, but there are even more inactive players that used to pvp, that browses the forums every day, to check if something has changed... the reason is because under the right circumstances PVP in sto is actually very fun. Yes it takes a long time to learn the ropes, and yes atm you will xplode alot if your new to pvp.. thats why we need a ranking system to help matching oponents. But believe me when i say that when you get to a point where you can time your assaults.. and use the correct counters and heals at the correct times.. its very very satisfactory to make a worthy oponent xplode.

If they would of added just a few features, they would of not only gotten back several hundred players, or even over a thousand players just because of pvp.

Examples:

- Ranking system
    - Gear ranking system
    - More PVP open world battlezones - like ker'rat.
    - PVP reputation system

And believe me when i say, that a players that goes all the way when it comes to PVP, spends alot of money and time getting the gear that they want.
    "Better were the days when mastery o' space came not from bargains struck with eldritch creatures... but from the sweat of a man's brow and the strength of his back alone. Ye all know thi's to be true!"
  • darksharkulladarksharkulla Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ye only problem is this game just barely has any PvPers. They need to put in some actuall PvP content, like a "new" open to enter map similar to Kerrat that has some fancy drops in it, a PvP ladder, exchange taxs that are set up to some non TRIBBLE point by whoever is on top of the ladder ...

Ofcourse it would have to be set in such a way so it doesnt come way to close to the PvE players.

And ye trying to concentrate on something they dont have atm when the game is full of bugs and they are losing PvE players as it is .... Ye! If it wasnt for my fleet id have quit trying to grind.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The fact is I do like STO a lot.

It's entertaining enough to keep me coming back for more which is great.

But if they gave PvP even 1 - 10th the development and resources they currently put into PvE I know they would:

A - Have a lot more players.

B - Have a higher player retention.

& C - Be making a lot more money for themselves in the process.

Lets face it, a PvP season has been promised / mentioned by more then 1 PwE representative over the years. But nothing has ever been put on the table.

It really is a mystery as to why they have not acted on this topic sooner.

It would be better for everyone, the Devs & players alike. Give PvP the attention it so desperately needs & deserves.

D,

I really SECOND this...we need more ENDGAME and since DR, PvPs queues have been abandoned completely. I'm sure most are grinding to obtain the shinies...Weren't you supposed to do a PvP Reputation system or a re-vamp? It has been the same OLD boring content since Beta...time for a change :D
    DUwNP.gif

• sindjin7sindjin7 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm still a bit of a newb at STO. But I recently just stopped playing EVE for awhile because that was a PVP based mmo where all you do is grind at boring content to fund your PVP losses. It's not that fun.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sindjin7 wrote: »
    I'm still a bit of a newb at STO. But I recently just stopped playing EVE for awhile because that was a PVP based mmo where all you do is grind at boring content to fund your PVP losses. It's not that fun.

Welcome to STO...where we just GRIND for NO REASON at all. Would be nice to get the wonderful MK14 epic stuff for PvPs but that is obsolete here. Not even PvP content at all...so welcome to grinding online :D
    DUwNP.gif

• sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    vandyfox wrote: »
    Allow me to offer a differing opinion and hopefully not get yelled at or called a carebear (sigh). So far it seems STO has lasted this long without paying much attention to PVP. So I do not feel it is a 'requirment' for the game's success. I also do not agree that all MMOs must have PVP as an integral part. Except for Archeage, I have not played many MMORPG's that have a well developed pvp in RVR or FFA or whatever.

There are obviously many more PVE players than PVP. There are so many very good shooters that I fail to see why RPGs need to be more PVP oriented than they are. I always felt many people who push and try demean anybody who doesnt care for PVP in RPGs enjoy that in these games there is often an unbalance between levels or gear unlike in shooters and mobas where it is more often based on skill, experience, and teamplay. With this game going to a pay to be better than you element, I do not see how things could be very balanced. Would I like to see a battlezone where factions can face off? Yes, but I do not see it as bein necessary in the least. There are many more important issues to deal with than something that has never been in demand from the majority of players.

PvP may save STO by bringing players back, since every other area is either neglected, taxed or being drained of fun.

(I'm not a PvP player and I'm saying this! Hello... Cryptic!)
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.