What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Server 100% unplayable

Comments

• Options
    frlancrfrlancr Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well after the umpteenth disconnect and an hour of massive rubber banding where I wasn't even able to DOFF (you read me right), I have quit for the night. Congrats cryptic, you've driven another player away.

I'm wondering why I bother logging in when this is the result.
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm not rubber banding. I'm not crashing.

Heck, I'm running around Defera like a nut case with my new shotgun

I'm on voice chat with three other people and they are not having problems.

If this was all on Cryptic's shoulders, then this would be a general problem. Cryptic can only control your connection to their servers only so much. Unless you live in downton Boston, you're pinging all over the place. And if one of the way points is failing, then there is nothing they can do about it.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Everyone that isn't having problems or experiencing bugs, you are horrible people. How dare you!
  • Options
    cptndata1cptndata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I really wish I could see the computer and internet of the ppl that are having problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real join date September 2012
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    OP: Post your location and your ISP.

More than likely everything you're describing can be attributed to network issues. Please note: I am not "attacking" you, nor defending Cryptic. Nor am I saying any network issues between you and STO servers is "your fault."

What I am saying is it's very likely there's a network issue affecting you. Could be your ISP. Could be between your ISP and Cryptic's ISP. If there are "many" with these issues, we might see some commonalities emerge.

As for me, just played a round of MU and had no issues whatsoever. (other than a subpar PUG - heh)

My location: California USA
    My ISP: AT&T (U-verse)
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ok,

Here's the thing. I don't disbelieve you when you say you and others are having problems. However, you have to understand that the same way you and others are having problems, there are also plenty of others who aren't having problems.

The thing I would recommend doing is to find out what you guys have in common that may be causing this issue.

I don't think it's being caused by having an older computer as I responded to another post about that stating that my computer actually falls under min spec and I can still play the game just fine. I also don't think it is being directly caused by the game itself. Otherwise a lot more people would be having problems.

However, could there be something else in common like firewall/antivirus/security suite that could be causing this? It could be a bug in relation to certain software that is causing this rubberbanding.

It's very easy to completely turn off your AV/firewall services to check if they are causing problems. Hell, whenever I play, my AV and firewall get switched off from the services window. I still have my router blocking ports, so once you're only running the game, you're not putting yourself at much risk.

Maybe talk to each other and find out if there is anything in common that you are using/doing that could be causing a potential bug to flourish. It will help everyone in the long term if it is discovered sooner rather than later.

Cheers!
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    frlancr wrote: »
    Well after the umpteenth disconnect and an hour of massive rubber banding where I wasn't even able to DOFF (you read me right), I have quit for the night. Congrats cryptic, you've driven another player away.

I'm wondering why I bother logging in when this is the result.

Again, along the lines of what askray said in the other thread that he closed...
    askray wrote: »
    Folks, if you're having lag or rubber banding please post in the PC and network issues area with the information requested in the sticky.

There are all sorts of folks willing to help with issues...

...without it having to be a case of trying to make Cryptic out to be some monstrous organization that feeds babies to feral kittens. There's plenty of stuff to bash Cryptic about...to complain about...etc, etc, etc...some of the things though, they actually start to detract from all the complaining because of how loopy they are.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Logical falacy: I have a sandwich, so you can't be hungry.

Look at how long it took them to acknowledge the last server problem (via twitter, no less). This is 2x worse.

In reverse however it goes:

I am hungry, so throw away your sandwich...

If you are a minority who is having a problem, when everone else does not, the problem really isn't with Cryptic, but somewhere between your keyboard and their servers.

In the simplest terms: It may not be you or cryptic... But somewhere between, there is a problem, and you can't blame Cryptic for that.

Stop pointing fingers at the wrong people.

run a tracert to see Where between you and cryptic the problem is, post the results so we may be able to help you reroute, and then stop acting as if you are always right.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    OP: Post your location and your ISP.

More than likely everything you're describing can be attributed to network issues. Please note: I am not "attacking" you, nor defending Cryptic. Nor am I saying any network issues between you and STO servers is "your fault."

What I am saying is it's very likely there's a network issue affecting you. Could be your ISP. Could be between your ISP and Cryptic's ISP. If there are "many" with these issues, we might see some commonalities emerge.

As for me, just played a round of MU and had no issues whatsoever. (other than a subpar PUG - heh)

My location: California USA
    My ISP: AT&T (U-verse)

This.... and this is frequently the case when a "small" segment of people are experiencing teh issue.... hell, has happened to me before.... I just generally don't come cursing out cryptic.... I run pathpings and post them to the network issues folder. Just because you're rubberbanding and disconnecting does NOT mean it is a SERVER issue. Not to say your own computer is at fault either. Sometimes routes are fubar and traffic congestion or high-latency along them cause connectivity issues and such will not change till the traffic goes down or traffic is rerouted.

People can kinda think of it as a highway, you're taking a route somehere and there is an accident in route and you get caught in a backup..... well, it's not your accident and your car works fine, and the destination is fine too.... but you have issues getting there right now..... but this does not mean someone else coming from somewhere else will be subject to the same backup.

There are things cryptic can somewhat do to assist in the matter, as many companies are capable of working with their providers to get traffic like that routed around problematic nodes.... but for them to do anything means they need to know where the problem is, which is why they ask people to run tracerts/pathpings and post the information in the PC networking section. IE, doing something useful.... if you're expecting to get it fixed by raging on the forums and ragequiting then nothing will happen because Cryptic has no way of knowing where in the path your issue is occurring, and without that information there is little point in them talking to their provider(s).
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Doncha love the white knights around here?

Let's see... a game dev with a history demonstrably laced with poor server performance.... perfectly fine before a big patch.... after the patch can't even sit still without moving.
    It doesn't have that history with me. I usually have a very solid connection to STO.*

Yes, that means I got a sandwich and you don't. Haha.

*But I admit, sometimes, when really no one else gets a sandwich, I also don't get one. But that is still rare. One could perhaps say it's "spiced" with a pinch of poor server performance...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    tiro100tiro100 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Let's see... a game dev with a history demonstrably laced with poor server performance.... perfectly fine before a big patch.... after the patch can't even sit still without moving.

Yeah.. blame the players. I'm no idiot when it comes to net troubles. I know a few things, and I'm not so naive as to blame the devs on every game out there. Because, frankly... of ALL the games out there this is the only one exhibiting server issues right now.

So yes, continue to blame the players, oh whitest of knights. You have a sandwich, so WE can't be starving.

Seriously, what is up with the animosity on these forums!? Did you not realize that the first reply was intended to HELP you? Did you not realize that most of the people on this thread have been trying to HELP you? A lot of what I have been seeing on these forums recently are people having complaints or issues, becoming hostile towards others when they don't get the answer they want, and calling people white knights when they say something about that.

I'm sure there are plenty of youngsters who play this game, but that doesn't mean we all have to act like children!
    Playing STO on and off since January 2nd, 2011!
  • Options
    marsupilamimarsupilami Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There were definitely some serious rubberbanding going on in Mirror Invasion yesterday for a few hours. People were also constantly disconnecting which made it even worse. The odds are that the problem was at Cryptic's end or somewhere in the middle.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The server is 100% unplayable in any way, shape, or form. Just moving across a room in DS9 takes 10 tries and you find yourself disconnecting left and right. Several chat channels reporting many others with the same problem. Can't even move items from one spot in my inventory to the spot right next to it. It takes multiple MINUTES on end just to do that. Forget using the exchange. Forget actually playing.

With such a large download and patch before it let me log into the launcher, I can only assume this is due to today's update.

^^ This is 100% false.

Get yourself a decent computer and/or trusted ISP.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Nah. What we have is a history demonstrably laced with poor-mannered, self-centered kids, who blatantly call an entire game 100% unplayable, merely because they have a p*ss-poor, crappy computer and/or connection themselves.

And before you call me a white knight too, LOL, I'm probably a permanent thorn in the Devs' eyes, as I rarely hide my critique from Cryptic. Your post, however, is just ludicrous, egocentrical mania. Maybe your ISP is capping you; maybe you have a crappy video card; maybe a silly router; maybe too little memory; whatever.
    You have a sandwich, so WE can't be starving.

Actually, yeah. Most of us have no problem with the game (at least not related to connectivity :D). So, it's really just YOU.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There were definitely some serious rubberbanding going on in Mirror Invasion yesterday for a few hours. People were also constantly disconnecting which made it even worse. The odds are that the problem was at Cryptic's end or somewhere in the middle.

I ran into that too, haven't seen lag like that for a long time. It's everyone playing the new FE. I saw lots of ships around Nal Shaddan. Once I got out the sector everything was running OK for me at least.
  • Options
    tiro100tiro100 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I actually had to look up what rubberbanding was. I seriously need to get out more. I have had that problem the last time I played Mirror Invasion. Although it only lasted for about a minute or so, then everything was fine. I chalked it up to a momentary lag in my isp.
    Playing STO on and off since January 2nd, 2011!
  • Options
    kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Logical falacy: I have a sandwich, so you can't be hungry.

Look at how long it took them to acknowledge the last server problem (via twitter, no less). This is 2x worse.

lol...

lets try your logical falacy...

I have a limp so im a gimped so everyone else must be gimped...

Ps: I'm having no lag issues.
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Ya, I’m in the process of upgrading my entire system, starting with the video card. But can’t stop there! Hello new motherboard and processor! And hey, why not throw in 16GB of memory to boot!

That's like saying you have used the same brush to sweep the floors for 10 years... But it's had 5 new heads and 8 new handles.... :P think your practically replacing your system rather than upgrading.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There is definitely a lot of lagging going on. Not sure whos fault it is but other sites/games work fine so far. A lot of my fleetmates had the same problem so its unlikely a problem with my system. I assume its either with cryptic or somewhere between here and there a router is fu. We will see but whatever it is it stopped me from playing the last 2 days.

Oh and pls stop with the "works fine for me so it cant be cryptics fault" stupidity.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Oh and pls stop with the "works fine for me so it cant be cryptics fault" stupidity.

Please stop with the "It doesn't work for me, therefore it must be Cryptic's fault." stupidity.

Been playing this game for years; rarely, if ever, experienced any lag/rubberbanding/whatever.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    LOL, I'm probably a permanent thorn in the Devs' eyes,.

If you're a thorn, then what am I?
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Please stop with the "It doesn't work for me, therefore it must be Cryptic's fault." stupidity.

Been playing this game for years; rarely, if ever, experienced any lag/rubberbanding/whatever.

Thats nice for you. gz.

But if you care to read my post in its entirety you will find that I explicitly state that I dont KNOW whether or not its cryptics fault. I only state that

- because a lot of my fleet mates have experienced the same issue
    - because I have no other internet related problems (nor do they)

I ASSUME that it is propably something at cryptic OR something between us and them.

So I dont really see where I said anything like "must be totally without question" cryptics fault. Its still the most reasonable assumption but not necessarily the only one.

And tbh even if its not cryptics fault in the end, it shouldnt hurt for them to check "their side" so we get a little closer to finding the issue dont you think. Like excluding more and more other possible factors until we find the actual things thats misbehaving:)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    And tbh even if its not cryptics fault in the end, it shouldnt hurt for them to check "their side" so we get a little closer to finding the issue dont you think. Like excluding more and more other possible factors until we find the actual things thats misbehaving:)

Way I see it, it's kinda like 'One white Raven (or Knight, as the case may be :P) proves the existence of white Ravens.' Aka, even 1 person being able to play the game sans lag proves there's no inherent connectivity issue on Cryptic's end. So, whatever the problem, it must be between Cryptic and the players' homes. Cryptic is not responsible for the Internet, though.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014

a) You have dementia
    b) You are lying
    c) You never play after a major patch.
    d) You are Q

Hmm... :D
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    a) You have dementia
    b) You are lying
    d) You are Q

e) None of the above
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,221 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I too rarely have issues with lag and rubberbanding. If I do I know for sure its a problem on my side.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    a) You have dementia
    b) You are lying
    d) You are Q

Did you consider that some of us have high end computers and a proper internet infrastructure, and THATS why we rarely expirience it.

YES, it happens when there are server issues or as you mentioned, earlier season and FE launches., but since March 2010, I can't remember actual server lag, disconnects... Not even with the DR release... Purring as a kitten until they broke the serves a week later.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Did you consider that some of us have high end computers and a proper internet infrastructure, and THATS why we rarely expirience it.

YES, it happens when there are server issues or as you mentioned, earlier season and FE launches., but since March 2010, I can't remember actual server lag, disconnects... Not even with the DR release... Purring as a kitten until they broke the serves a week later.

^^ Zactly.

And server downtime doesn't count, of course. Otherwise, I have many issues with this game: connectivity just isn't one of them. Nor crashes or anything (another area where people tend to blame Cryptic for their own polluted system).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    anazonda wrote: »

100Mbit connection and a computer that can comfortably (60+ fps) run STO. I only got rubberbanding unlike the people who kept disconnecting during the Mirror Invasion. Also **** servers are in Texas and the connection was just fine from Europe. *shrug*

Edit: They are blocking names of other MMOs? Funny.
    YES, it happens when there are server issues or as you mentioned, earlier season and FE launches., but since March 2010

Yeah, I think it's dementia too (or he/she joined way after F2P).
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    100Mbit connection and a computer that can comfortably (60+ fps) run STO. I only got rubberbanding unlike the people who kept disconnecting during the Mirror Invasion. Also **** servers are in Texas and the connection was just fine from Europe. *shrug*

Edit: They are blocking names of other MMOs? Funny.

100 MBps does not mean your infrastructure is proper... just that you have a decent connection...

But 100 Mbps != that the cables your ISP uses are high quality, that the routers a new or that the software is up to date.
    Yeah, I think it's dementia too (or he/she joined way after F2P).

Actually, I think you guys just can't deal with others having no problems, and that everyone should have as weak a system as yours...

Theres a word for that: Ego