• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Who was it, wash or book?

A hint...

"....I Am A Leaf On The Wind..."

:mad:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    A hint...

"....I Am A Leaf On The Wind..."

:mad:

WATCH HOW I SO...-gag dead- Wife and I were both dumbfounded shocked when it happened.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm quite excited to see how Firefly Online will shape up. I already know of one friend who plans to switch over once the game is released.

Shiny news! I could stand to hear a little more! :)

Soon as Firefly comes out, and I'd have to choose which game to sink money into, STO goes out the airlock faster than Geko can say "Please, don't throw me out an airlock!"
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Chances are, Cryptic won't announce it until the very last moment. They want to milk us for as long as they can. It will be dishonest, for sure; but that's how it will go down. Heck, judging by the *still* empty queues, they may be planning a shutdown already, for all we know.

I think so as well. And yea the queues remain deserted. Fun thing was last Thursdays patch. For a few hours I thought WOW, what is happening and where do all those people come from? But then over the weekend ghost town again. Cryptic’s changes to pve end game feel like their biggest mistake of all time. I have no idea what they were thinking and why they have such a hard time to correct it. Its not as if people wouldn’t like to play you know. Most of them just seem not to be able to or look away out of principle. I can’t blame anybody.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think so as well. And yea the queues remain deserted. Fun thing was last Thursdays patch. For a few hours I thought WOW, what is happening and where do all those people come from? But then over the weekend ghost town again. Cryptic’s changes to pve end game feel like their biggest mistake of all time. I have no idea what they were thinking and why they have such a hard time to correct it. Its not as if people wouldn’t like to play you know. Most of them just seem not to be able to or look away out of principle. I can’t blame anybody.

I don't think things are going swimmingly for STO right now, there has to be a reason for the sudden effort to communicate and such. But, by the same token, I don't think it's so dire as to be shutting down at any moment.

We'll likely see maintenance mode before a shutdown, and we're not there last I looked.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well, as unlikely as this is to happen anytime soon, with Trek being as big as it is, it would come as no surprise to me if a third party group acquired the rights to continue the game, independently. Failing that, taking into account how much money this game has made, it's likely another company will acquire the rights, or start their own Trek MMO.

To answer your specific questions though:
    • All equipment, items, ships, everything (including titles, ingame funds, dil and ZEN)?
    It gets removed. Quite simple that one. If the game closes down, all internal items, currencies and characters are cancelled and removed. We don't get nothing back.
    • This forum?
    Would probably follow the game.
    • Intellectual property (IP) for STO's assets (such as the Odyssey Cruiser design, characters like Shon, etc)?
    The character of Shon would probably revert to PWE or Cryptic if anyone. The design of the Odyssey would likely revert back to whoever it was who designed it (that's assuming they don't already own the rights - and merely allowed Cryptic to create the ship).
    • Our lives without STO?
    I would survive. There are quite literally only two games I play at the moment. If I'm not on Star Trek Online, I'll be on Grand Theft Auto V (PS3). If Trek went, I would likely find myself another casual game to play.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • boosbcboosbc Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Personally, I would miss the game. I like the combination between space flight and shooting stuff on the ground.

I think the legal answers are already provided. Zen is account wide, so you keep that and can use it in other PWE games. The game would just seize to exist. There is a small chance that they will sell the platform and content to someone else, depending on whether CBS allows it.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    boosbc wrote: »
    I think the legal answers are already provided. Zen is account wide, so you keep that and can use it in other PWE games. The game would just seize to exist. There is a small chance that they will sell the platform and content to someone else, depending on whether CBS allows it.
    With a sale to another party, that would be additional income for CBS, so I doubt they'd be against it.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • boosbcboosbc Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    With a sale to another party, that would be additional income for CBS, so I doubt they'd be against it.
    Depends on what is in the contract for the license, which is something we will never know. Atari did not want to continue and sold the game, so it could happen again.
    edited November 2014

At first I thought it was the difficulty of the queues. But now that they're fully playable again, even very easy queue remain empty. Tell me, when was the last time we were able to do, say, a Starbase Fleet Defense?! My point exactly. Doesn't immediately spell doom per se; but, like I said, the empty queues can never be a sign of something good.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    At first I thought it was the difficulty of the queues. But now that they're fully playable again, even very easy queue remain empty. Tell me, when was the last time we were able to do, say, a Starbase Fleet Defense?! My point exactly. Doesn't immediately spell doom per se; but, like I said, the empty queues can never be a sign of something good.

I also like to think that some players are still elsewhere, like still levelling or in BZs or so. I was able to do a few PvE queues over the weekend with fleet mates and in game friends. Worked a lot better yea but I bet the key issue remain the fail criteria either out of an actual mistake or out of lack of team DPS. If a single player in undine ground can mess up the whole thing by giving the wrong answer or if one has to think twice if u can carry two peeps u like but with weak ship builds it really comes down to… “Am I wasiting my time?”

Its really a shame, I like STO a lot but for as long as this issue isn’t solved there remains very little left to do in this game.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Yeah, that was the point that started troubling me in regards of the queue situation and the current health of the game - the Starbase Fleet Defense. The past week is the first time since I started playing STO where I was able to do more KDF Starbase Defenses than Federation ones. Probably because the number of queued people is constantly zero and even the timer doesn't show estimated time. I don't remember seeing that particular easy and fast queue so abandoned ever before. One can argue that people are not in real need of fleet marks currently, but zero queued? On the Federation side?

What worries me is that great many people this year said that for them Ex. 2 will be "make it or break it" for STO and Cryptic. I'm afraid they broke it. :(
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • lordkhoraklordkhorak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    [*] All equipment, items, ships, everything (including titles, ingame funds, dil and ZEN)?

All gone. Obviously. You haven't bought a physical object, you bought access to certain parts of a game that no longer exists.
    [*] This forum?

Gone. Obviously. Why would it remain?
    [*] Intellectual property (IP) for STO's assets (such as the Odyssey Cruiser design, characters like Shon, etc)?

It would all revert back to Paramount, who ultimately own everything. Cryptic have a license to use Star Trek and create additional properties based upon it.

Even if for some reason all that stuff were protected and didn't revert back to Paramount, which is hilariously unlikely, they would be functionally useless. There's not anything you could do with them without the rest of the Star Trek setting, which is why it's likely no-one made such stipulations in the license.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Regarding Fleet Marks: Hardly surprising that the content that rewards these has found itself little used. Let's face it - whilst it hasn't rendered Fleet Marks pointless as such, it has made them a LOT less attractive. Put simply:

Pre-Expansion: Fleet Marks = some of the best gear obtainable at the time (and some would argue THE best).
    Post-Expansion: Fleet Marks = decent gear that, whilst still useable, requires an investment in upgrades to make it better.

And then there is the whole T5-U saga that has been discussed to death already.

Anyway - the fact remains that whilst STO's 'issues' could be described as relatively small ones, one has to keep in mind that they could easily become one very BIG problem in no-time at all.

You have a good point. :) People are always (for now?) gonna need Vulnerability Locators, though. Which (sigh) also need to be upgraded.

Starbase Fleet Defense isn't the only queue that's empty, though. People can't all have perfectly logical reasons not to play them any more, though (like the one you gave). I fear many people simply don't want to any more.

True, though, the time you could just grind for top-gear has de facto gone. So, let's hope that's the reason behind the empty queues, then. Although, that in itself wouldn't necessarily be a positive thing either.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited November 2014
    Hmm I don't think so.

Pre DR MkXII Vulnerability Locators = 31.6%
    Post DR MkXII Vulnerability Locators = 31.6% upgradable to 37.5% (Epic)

Maybe I misunderstood you?

My Ultra Rare Mk XIV ones do 35.6% + 1.8% CrtH.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    As others have iterated, DR was supposed to be 'make or break' for the game and right now it's looking like break by a landslide. I'm a lifer but I'm honestly hoping they close this one down soon so that Trek gaming (and the devs) can move on to something new. Nothing against Cryptic, they gave it the 'ol college try but this game just falls short in too many areas.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My Ultra Rare Mk XIV ones do 35.6% + 1.8% CrtH.

This is correct. There is no change to these at level 12. And they are quite cheap to upgrade to UR14.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited November 2014
    This is correct. There is no change to these at level 12. And they are quite cheap to upgrade to UR14.

That is because they start at Ultra Rare, so there's no sick upgrade cycle involved (unless you want to get em to Epic, of course).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That is because they start at Ultra Rare, so there's no sick upgrade cycle involved (unless you want to get em to Epic, of course).

Indeed, I've got a couple epics, but only because the rarity increase triggered at low chance. No way do I plan on pumping dil in just for rarity upgrade chance lol. Once I hit MKXIV on my fleet stuff, I stop.
    edited November 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Same - attempted to upgrade my MkXIV Ultra Rare shields to Epic on the off-chance that I might get lucky. I didn't.

As the old adage says, "once bitten, twice shy".

Same here, my friend. :) I got one Epic VL, by accident, when it upgraded quality at reaching Mk XIV. No way in hell am I planning on going Epic all the way. UR is good enough for me. :)

A Mk XIV Very Rare Shield cycle is what, 244k? (Not in game, right now) Say you manage to get it to UR in 5 cycles: that's over 200k (!) Dilithium already! (At Improved Tech rates; your EC cost will increase tenfold if you want to use Superior Tech) And 18,300,000 in EC (203 x 90,000)

Someone at Cryptic has utterly lost all touch with reality.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yeah it's also about what kind of behaviour do you encourage

Is it okay they copy-paste your old gear and want millions of dil for something you already bought?

Because what's going to be next then?

You have to rent your ship and pay the lease of a few more millions of dil on it every month...?

Well we need you to have something to buy and we didn't have time to create anything so we bring you copy-pasting, that's just not okay, LEAST of all for an expansion

If they spend the time and do the work; they create something - they develop something, sure enough we can meet up and talk about what it should cost.

Would it be okay that 1 item for your ship say a a weapon costs 200,000 dil, when they've been 30,000 up until now - SURE, we if they HAD developed new weapons, if they HAD added animations to the game then yes we could have been having that conversation.

But since that didn't happen - they decided to try to sell copy-pasting blank stats the conversation is a different conversation
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    A mind exercise, just for fun. Don't worry, as far as we know, STO is continuing to chug along.

Hypothetical scenario:
    Because of Delta Rising f***ing over players old and new, server problems, possibilities of players getting their Steam accounts locked, or whatever calamity affects STO, PWE loses a significant amount of money and playerbase. Because it's financially unfeasible to continue running the game on its servers, PWE pulls the plug on STO.

What happens to:
    • All equipment, items, ships, everything (including titles, ingame funds, dil and ZEN)?
    • This forum?
    • Intellectual property (IP) for STO's assets (such as the Odyssey Cruiser design, characters like Shon, etc)?
    • Our lives without STO?
    • Insert your own concern here

I find it unlikely we would ever see a refund, since that's how business works. It would be a huge shame to see a large amount of time, effort, and money placed into a virtual server only to have it shut down. When you think about it, the game seems rather finite and extremely fallible. Of course, the next question becomes: Why bother paying PWE your money if the server will shut down sometime in the (near?) future?

*Edit: Whoops, bad terms. Title should read "PWE shuts down STO", as Cryptic is just the game developer.

There are a bazillion of f2p mmos.
    There is only one star trek mmo, lackluster it might be.

My fears?

- That there will not be a new star trek game within the lore i like (aka not the abrams stuff).
    - That it once again will be a hack job.
    - That mod teams out perform a professional company on any level of competence yet again.
    - That no effort is made to truly put out something great instead of a hackjob.

My hopes?

- That there will be a new one.
    - Made by people with competence, care, time and the money to truly deliver a polished product.
    Just remember how STO started.
    http://suricatasblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/galaxyclassrefine.jpg

This was the Galaxy class they set us with for an eternity.

One of the most ******ned iconic ships in the franchise and they botched it, HARD. They BOTCHED it despite fans having modeled this ship for over a DECADE for VARIOUS games, with such fidelity and loving care that to this day, cryptic has yet to measure up.
    - I hope that the devs of such a second game would recognize why fans come to these games: to get their favorite ship and go where no one has gone before.

'THEIR' 'FAVORITE' 'SHIP'

Cryptic shot themselves in the foot right from the start when they started chucking ships into tiers and "roles", as if these concepts had any meaning for a star trek game. Star trek, where freeform was the norm...

Yeah for a lot of people the game died at the moment when the Iconic ships they came for... were for some reason thrown into the "you will outlevel this" category.
    Yeah. That was dumb.

Heck, cryptic already screwed up when they chose to adapt the champions engine. That abomination is haunting us with its failures to this day.

- I hope that care, competence and solid knowledge of the lore (to this day i have yet to see a warbird fire anything from its fckn bussard collectors in startrek... How did this bull**** spring up? )
    find their way into a new STO.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    We lose everything, and CBS Studios understands that Trekkies still consist of some of the worst people in all of fandom who would rather watch a game die because they don't like it rather than try to provide constructive feedback to make what they currently have better.

CBS Studios still reels from the headache STO caused and decides to pursue safer investments such as mobile apps, since the MMO market is still extremely cutthroat and another Star Trek MMO would be way too expensive to develop in the current tech bubble we're in without some kind of assurances of sustainability and viability.

Future Star Trek games will more or less consist of just that, mobile gaming, and possibly some console games with a co-op function.

But there's a very slim probability we would see another Star Trek MMO if STO died in the next 10 years at the very least.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    We lose everything, and CBS Studios understands that Trekkies still consist of some of the worst people in all of fandom who would rather watch a game die because they don't like it rather than try to provide constructive feedback to make what they currently have better.

CBS Studios still reels from the headache STO caused and decides to pursue safer investments such as mobile apps, since the MMO market is still extremely cutthroat and another Star Trek MMO would be way too expensive to develop in the current tech bubble we're in without some kind of assurances of sustainability and viability.

Future Star Trek games will more or less consist of just that, mobile gaming, and possibly some console games with a co-op function.

But there's a very slim probability we would see another Star Trek MMO if STO died in the next 10 years at the very least.

Well with the new Firefly Game, we might see the issue of STO fans rage drag another game down because of how well the show was loved.

Wish people would pull the big boy pants on and pitch in to help instead of screaming and whining.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have no illusions that this game will go on forever, that just doesn't happen. I played Star Wars Galaxies for 8 years (I actually loved the infamous changes that killed the playerbase), and I was really sad when it shut down. It happens to all games, eventually, especially online games. Some day, either Cryptic or PWE will pull the plug, it's inevitable.

I'll be sad, and probably very bored, for a few days, but I'll get over it, and move on to the next interesting online game. To be honest, I'll probably have been playing Star Citizen 24/7 for about a year by the time this game goes dark.

I bought a lifetime subscription and Delta Operations Pack so that I can contribute to this game being around for as long as possible. I don't intend to beg for a refund if I lose it all, because this game has been extremely fun for me in the last year or so, and I'll always be able to find something to do. I've gotten my money's worth.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Well with the new Firefly Game, we might see the issue of STO fans rage drag another game down because of how well the show was loved.

Wish people would pull the big boy pants on and pitch in to help instead of screaming and whining.

It's one reason I like STO so much. People love Star Trek so much they'll wish death upon the only STO MMO there is. And I'm oftentimes more entertained by player reactions and commentary than the game itself.

It's just like people being upset that we don't have any Star Trek media for ~7 years, that Hollywood should make Star Trek movies again.

Then when they do, they wish death upon the movies JJ Abrams made.

If by whatever miracle another Star Trek MMO would come along, I would bet one million quatloos the same kind of fanboys and fangirls would wish death upon that game too for the exact same reasons.

"It isn't Star Trek enough!" "The company expects you to actually PLAY the game to improve and advance!?" "What? They expect to make MONEY off of this? Shouldn't my love of Star Trek and willingness to hog up resources on their game be enough to get everything for free?!"
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    *bites apple* Please continue, this is quite amusing :cool:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't have a problem with Epic gear being too expensive because Epic is supposed to be Epic. Very few people are supposed to have their entire ship and crew geared in Epic equipment. The only cost that matters is getting gear up to Mk XIV. Although, I would not mind a C-Store item that automatically increases rarity either as a generic rarity upgrade item or specific rarity upgrade item where going from blue to purple costs 500 Zen and ultraviolet to gold costs 1500 Zen.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Popular sentiment from my perspective would indicate this game goes away. I don't know anyone other than myself in real life that plays this game (and I live in one of the largest cities in the US). In-game there is a lot of turnover as well. Nobody that I played with back in the open beta/head start days plays anymore and my current fleet, a large fleet, was undergoing a mass exodus due to DR the last time I logged in which was awhile ago now. My question is: How much more gas is in the tank? Other 'dead' games like Cryptic's own Champions Online and *** are still around after all.
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    It's one reason I like STO so much. People love Star Trek so much they'll wish death upon the only STO MMO there is. And I'm oftentimes more entertained by player reactions and commentary than the game itself.

It's just like people being upset that we don't have any Star Trek media for ~7 years, that Hollywood should make Star Trek movies again.

Then when they do, they wish death upon the movies JJ Abrams made.

If by whatever miracle another Star Trek MMO would come along, I would bet one million quatloos the same kind of fanboys and fangirls would wish death upon that game too for the exact same reasons.

"It isn't Star Trek enough!" "The company expects you to actually PLAY the game to improve and advance!?" "What? They expect to make MONEY off of this? Shouldn't my love of Star Trek and willingness to hog up resources on their game be enough to get everything for free?!"

Startrek 2009 and its follow up were not star trek.

When fans say "give us new star trek" they mean "in the lore we love and care about".

^^
This discussion has been closed.