What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

something is wrong here

Comments

• Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've never seen such a pretty deeply developed game with so many persisting basic problems, and I mean basic problems, core functions. UI, mail, server uptime, exchange/auction, itemization, etc. That's not even getting into balance & content.

Frosting.

The cake is having a collection of pixels that you can fly look like something from a popular sci-fi show. Thats the only thing that must work for the game to survive. If the frosting stuff works- great, if not it's no big deal as there will always be rebid fans who only want cake.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm just.. So disapointed with how the playerbase seems to have.. given up on fighting for the game. Like all the fire has gone out of them..

At the end of the day, it's a game for us, a business for them. They don't care what we think, only what shareholders think. This game was ruined the day PWE bought it (which not coincidentally is the day I quit). It's kind of pointless to fight a battle that can't and won't be won. I wouldn't be disappointed with the players. I'd be disappointed with the game.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    At the end of the day, it's a game for us, a business for them. They don't care what we think, only what shareholders think. This game was ruined the day PWE bought it (which not coincidentally is the day I quit). It's kind of pointless to fight a battle that can't and won't be won. I wouldn't be disappointed with the players. I'd be disappointed with the game.
    Um, yeah... I remember what the game was like back then.... It's more fun now. I remember when "end-game" PvE builds used one of two things.... AP(mainly because it was cool), or phaser because it was OP.

There was also a period of time where the Disrupter-Plasma weapons were the most powerful thing in the game due to a glitch giving them stupidly high base damage.

I also remember when plasma fire stacked, then got nerfed to NOT stack, then got un-nerfed to stack again.....

Yeah, the game was less fun back when Atari was in charge.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Um, yeah... I remember what the game was like back then.... It's more fun now. I remember when "end-game" PvE builds used one of two things.... AP(mainly because it was cool), or phaser because it was OP.

There was also a period of time where the Disrupter-Plasma weapons were the most powerful thing in the game due to a glitch giving them stupidly high base damage.

I also remember when plasma fire stacked, then got nerfed to NOT stack, then got un-nerfed to stack again.....

Yeah, the game was less fun back when Atari was in charge.

Don't presume to know what I thought of the game at that time. PWE was just the last straw for me.
  • Options
    lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've never seen such a pretty deeply developed game with so many persisting basic problems, and I mean basic problems, core functions. UI, mail, server uptime, exchange/auction, itemization, etc. That's not even getting into balance & content.

No fingers pointing, none of us have the information to accurately point a finger in the proper direction. Myself included.

I won't hammer the devs. At the end of the day, most of them are just employees who inherited weird code. I could guess, my guess is that too much money is siphoned from the game. Or it could be management philosophy. Or culture clash, east vs west. Don't know.

But seriously, wow. There is definitely some kind of disconnect here.

You know, they aren't exactly creating new fans of Star Trek. There's no television series running, and there won't be either. The internet siphoned cash from the entertainment industry, it's just not there anymore. The last movie stunk and cash is being sunk into Star Wars, not trek.

Your customers are a devoted but limited commodity. Treat them decently and they will stay. Treat them decently and they will be happy to pay and stay.

A game purely about Star Trek diplomacy and finding the next group of aliens who wish to talk about their feelings or culture would be boring, this wouldn't really sell for a game, people want reality shows and blood. Conflict, scandals and hatred are the cornerstone of television now. So naturally it would fit to have this franchise become about war, as they did for DS9 as well as all of their movies!

The developers are people just like us, the further we disconnect from them the less we look at one another as people! That is why there is so much bitterness on both sides. I have issues with the game, some things have already been fixed, "thank you very much for that :)" there are a heap more of things to yet work on, we just have to be patient and consider they have budgets and feelings just like we do!

Remember to share the infringing bugs so they can fix them, but not the ones that help! :P
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    I would say that and a serious disconnect from the Star Trek core audience. PWE only bought this game because they thought the Star Trek IP would instantly make them a ton of money. They also assumed said audience was dumb enough to buy absolutely anything called "Star Trek," and that they could get away with the grindfest moneygrab that they've turned this game into.

Lets face facts. They are making a ton of money off of this game. I highly doubt this game is dying out because I know many players still throwing money at this broken game so their audience assumption was 100% correct. This game will continue on until one of two things happen. People stop throwing money at PWE just because this game has Star Trek in the title or CBS doesn't renew their license.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    And all of these bugs could require months to fix or only affect a small portion of the players. Does Cryptic fix a bug that affects only 500 players and takes a month to fix or do they fix bugs that affect 90% of the players. Cryptic has to balance their time since they can't fix everything.

Make that years to fix. How log did it take to fix Tholian Red Alerts?
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    calamintha wrote: »
    Make that years to fix. How log did it take to fix Tholian Red Alerts?

I am just considering the amount of time a bug is given any consideration. So while a bug might have existed for years, it might be low on the priority list and only months are actually spent on fixing it which is also spent by trying to fix other bugs and add new content.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    basic UI functionality, exchange errors, mail errors. loss of real basic core stuff, that's not getting by. that's playing with fire.

What you don't realize is how little people are actually affected by this. Sure, there are people that it happens to, but they are a minority. But if they happen, bugs are usually in-your-face-annyoing and thus prompt people to report them. They should do that, otherwise problems don't get fixed ever, but it leads to selective perception in places like the forums.

I have used the Exchange and the Mail system and the only issues I remember is that my Mail Icon wouldn't stop blinking despite there being no new mail.

Support hotline, forums. The people that use these often have some grievance. No one calls a support line to report "Your product is awesome. I've been using it for 2 years and it just worked. Keep up the good work". If people did that, customer hotlines would probably be overloaded, but customer support would be one of the most popular jobs in the world, since you meet happy people all the time.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Name one canon (seen in live action) Fighter-Carrier, not the Scimitar, which launched Scorpion Attack Flyers for Planetary Air Superiority (never launched them for the purposes of combat in space, not even when outnumbered 3 to 1 in the battle of Bassen Rift), not the Akira (which never launched fighters and was scaled down until it's hangar doors couldn't be hangar doors, and which was only a carrier according to the artist, not the writing or on screen evidence), not the frankenship from DS9 which was only listed as a carrier in non-canon RPGs, not the presumption that there had to be Fighter Carriers because Peregrine fighters exist (they're warp capable, converted civilian courier vessels, capable of independant operation without a mothership, just fyi), not the Kazon Carrier, which we never saw launch or utilize fighters in canon..

Go ahead, show me a live action canon carrier in Trek. I want video of a ship in live action trek launching fighters for the purpose of space combat.

Ah... The good old battle. Unfortunately, we lost that one when the KDF was released with a Carrier. And nowadays we fly non-faction ships. One can get up in arms about it, and sometimes I feel like it, but in the end, it's just a sparring exercise. The ship has sailed. (Hey, how about a space sailing ship. Tier 6 Bajoran Intel Science Vessel perhaps?) It's not because Carriers belong into Star Trek. They don't. Shuttles belong there, sure. But Starfleet ships have been seen in lots of combat, and launching shuttles for combat operations was hardly standard operating procedure. It is because they are already in Startrek Online. They won't go away.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    (Hey, how about a space sailing ship. Tier 6 Bajoran Intel Science Vessel perhaps?)
    Risian Liner has solar sails
  • Options
    drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    lunasto wrote: »
    A game purely about Star Trek diplomacy and finding the next group of aliens who wish to talk about their feelings or culture would be boring, this wouldn't really sell for a game, people want reality shows and blood.(polite snip)

I would buy the **** out of that game, IF it existed - and you can pretend I'd be alone there if it makes you feel better.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited November 2014

No fingers pointing, none of us have the information to accurately point a finger in the proper direction. Myself included.

I won't hammer the devs. At the end of the day, most of them are just employees who inherited weird code. I could guess, my guess is that too much money is siphoned from the game. Or it could be management philosophy. Or culture clash, east vs west. Don't know.

You know, they aren't exactly creating new fans of Star Trek. There's no television series running, and there won't be either. The internet siphoned cash from the entertainment industry, it's just not there anymore. The last movie stunk and cash is being sunk into Star Wars, not trek.

Your customers are a devoted but limited commodity. Treat them decently and they will stay. Treat them decently and they will be happy to pay and stay.

Yeah there IS something wrong here with STO and its players

PWE/Cryptic is a douchebag factory who kicks everyone in the balls over and over

and the players reply?

THANK YOU SIR MAY WE HAVE ANOTHER!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    A game purely about Star Trek diplomacy and finding the next group of aliens who wish to talk about their feelings or culture would be boring, this wouldn't really sell for a game, people want reality shows and blood. Conflict, scandals and hatred are the cornerstone of television now. So naturally it would fit to have this franchise become about war, as they did for DS9 as well as all of their movies!
    I gotta agree here. Back when I got my first DS I got this story-focused game to go with it that was a lot of fun.... for about a week. After I finished the game it had no interest anymore. I had done everything and been everywhere, the only thing left to do was go back to all of the places I'd been once and scour them for things I missed the first time. which wasn't that much fun.

STO I've played for years and not gotten bored of it. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've never seen such a pretty deeply developed game with so many persisting basic problems, and I mean basic problems, core functions. UI, mail, server uptime, exchange/auction, itemization, etc. That's not even getting into balance & content...

The faults with the core functions, bugs, UI etc all stem from the rocky beginning of the game, back when they couldn't pay for bug fixes, only content so as to bring about more money to just keep the game going. Unfortunately, the game faults are in the foundations of the actual game, and they've piled so much content onto those foundations since the beginning that to fix them would break the game, unless they spent an expansions worth of money to get them fixed professionally without breaking the game.

Ultimately only about 30% of the player base are actually passionate about getting those bugs fixed, while the other 70% just want new content to keep them fed. In Cryptic's greedy mind, they're probably thinking is it worth satisfying 30% of the playerbase, spending an expansions worth of money and getting little profitable return, or is it better to spend an expansions worth on an actual expansion to satisfy 70% of the playerbase, while getting good profit from it.
    Yeah there IS something wrong here with STO and its players

PWE/Cryptic is a douchebag factory who kicks everyone in the balls over and over

and the players reply?

THANK YOU SIR MAY WE HAVE ANOTHER!!!!

There's only one Star Trek game that's online. Where else are all us rabid ST fans suppose to go?
    Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
    CLASSIFIED
    [SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
    [/SIGPIC]
    SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    heckgoblin wrote: »
    I have smelled the stink of death upon this universe since DR arrived. It came with two terrible insults: First, the devs calling us exploiters for using content they left in place. Second, the obscene upgrade system designed to drain all our resources and willpower. At each turn, it feels like the people running this game are telling us to f**k off.

The exploit fiasco was equally the fault of the players and the devs. The devs for not thoroughly testing all the games aspects and making sure everything was worming properly, and the players for abusing such an obviously broken part of the game. Instead of reporting it, more and more players flocked to tau dewa and kept on taking advantage of this obvious flaw. So, in the end, the exploiters were properly deranked and the devs immediately fixed the problem.

Now, the upgrade system I haven't really delved into yet, but after testing a little on tribble, it seems fine. Its the crafting system that needs to be reworked again.
  • Options
    usswildfireusswildfire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    The exploit fiasco was equally the fault of the players and the devs. The devs for not thoroughly testing all the games aspects and making sure everything was worming properly, and the players for abusing such an obviously broken part of the game. Instead of reporting it, more and more players flocked to tau dewa and kept on taking advantage of this obvious flaw. So, in the end, the exploiters were properly deranked and the devs immediately fixed the problem.

If they had "immediately" fixed the problem this never would have made it out of beta. It was reported by multiple people and they ignored it. It wasn't until someone higher up took at a look at the metrics of where people were in game and freaked out that it became worth fixing to them.
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Rather than try to address the big issues with the game, I'll weigh in on the tangent:

Aircraft carriers are effective in the real world for two main reasons. One, aircraft move through a different medium (air) than the ships that launch them (water), and can thus achieve higher speeds, etc. In space, all is space - all is vacuum. Two, aircraft can mount weapons capable of killing a ship on something much smaller than a ship; the eternal arms-race between attack and defense is currently strongly tilted in favor of the former. In the Trek universe, starship shields render them flying fortresses, and starship phaser arrays and torpedoes dwarf anything that fighters can carry.

To repeat and summarize: in the real world, something much smaller than a ship can fly faster and farther than a ship and carry weapons that can kill those ships. In Trek, none of those things are true.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    cavalerius wrote: »
    There's only one Star Trek game that's online. Where else are all us rabid ST fans suppose to go?

Just want to say, your 'Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project' sig, I love it! :) I'd soooooooo buy a ship like that!

Now, see Cryptic?! THAT is how it's done!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Lets face facts. They are making a ton of money off of this game. I highly doubt this game is dying out because I know many players still throwing money at this broken game so their audience assumption was 100% correct. This game will continue on until one of two things happen. People stop throwing money at PWE just because this game has Star Trek in the title or CBS doesn't renew their license.

That's because they aren't marketing this game to lifelong Trek fans anymore. It's the Asian pay-or-Grind types that cycle in and out that they're interested. I've posted this before, but it's a Las Vegas economy. Meaning they net more profit when people come in, spend a few bucks, and leave to be replaces by others who do the same. Long term loyal players are less likely to spend more money on the game because they stay around to see their investment pay for itself. Big example: LIFERS. I preordered mine in BETA and since then it's more than paid for itself. With that in mind I have less incentive to buy more stuff than someone grinding gear, having their moment, and taking off. It's the nature of microtransaction economics. "Trekkies" may be playing, but they ARE NOT the target audience.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    That's because they aren't marketing this game to lifelong Trek fans anymore. It's the Asian pay-or-Grind types that cycle in and out that they're interested. I've posted this before, but it's a Las Vegas economy. Meaning they net more profit when people come in, spend a few bucks, and leave to be replaces by others who do the same. Long term loyal players are less likely to spend more money on the game because they stay around to see their investment pay for itself.
    Even the Vegas casinos have reward programs--spend $$ on your casino card and get your next visit room and dinner for free.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    alaric63 wrote: »
    It wouldn't matter, to most of you, who owns/runs/operates the game. You would be griping about everything anyway. Most Gamers enjoy the complaining and nit-picking more than playing. Just admit, unless they follow your ideas/demands you won;t even try to have fun, and just play.

Having a proper working UI and mail service(for example) are not unreasonable expectations for a video game. There are others which would be unreasonable expectations or are subjective and they do appear in certain threads, but that's not what this thread is about, it's about having a game that actually does what it's suppose to do.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited November 2014

The developers are people just like us, the further we disconnect from them the less we look at one another as people! That is why there is so much bitterness on both sides. I have issues with the game, some things have already been fixed, "thank you very much for that :)" there are a heap more of things to yet work on, we just have to be patient and consider they have budgets and feelings just like we do!

Remember to share the infringing bugs so they can fix them, but not the ones that help! :P
    I would buy the **** out of that game, IF it existed - and you can pretend I'd be alone there if it makes you feel better.

you are nowhere close to alone, remember when the epicly rare ship fights on the shows where like
    "OMG they has an actual battle! no way!" lol (seriously) now it's like when an alien says something, it click, white lines, click, more lines, click, and stuff ... *burp*, hey looks! ship! kill it! lol

Uh, derp comes with every laser now, there is dialog, and without comparing stuff, I like the fact they did add voice overs from the real actors for DR, not "fakes who tried to play someone they thought might be able to act like and aren't".

I mean hey, i would like an Emergency Chuck Norris Hologram Mk 1 too but in Voyager, Robert Picardo was Chuck Norris LOL.

Still wish they could have gotten Janeway :(
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    I believe the problem here is that with the current state of affairs people continue to log in and throw money at this game when it would be beneficial to let it go under and hopefully CBS sells the rights for a new MMO Star Trek theme to another company.

...who will likely implement an even more player unfriendly pricing model. You forgot that bit.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    you cant expect perfection when the folks working on the game now are not the ones who originally built it... they are laying code on top of code and hope things dont break and can fix the patchwork monster they have...

should just scrap the game and start with fresh code for the next expansion... not like they are building from scratch without any idea of where to go... just clone the current game using new code and build enough leg room for future expansions... and up the min specs.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    ...who will likely implement an even more player unfriendly pricing model. You forgot that bit.
    Yeah, people keep acting like they think MMOs are free to run.... They're not. whatever company runs an MMO needs to rake in cash by the bucketload just to keep running. this will always be true no matter what company runs it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, people keep acting like they think MMOs are free to run.... They're not. whatever company runs an MMO needs to rake in cash by the bucketload just to keep running. this will always be true no matter what company runs it.

Yeah, but saying that the pricing model of an imaginary possible future Star Trek MMO will have an even more player unfriendly pricing model is just wild speculation hillariously attempting to prove some point that can't be proven at the time being.

And "player unfriendly" is also highly variable between people - some would prefer to pay 15$ monthly sub that gives them access to everything while others prefer to play for free and only buy what they think is needed or relevant. Then you have whales that like to show off their illustrious collection of items, while others are satisfied with proverbial leeching and letting others pay for the game's maintenence.

Until and if the day comes to have another Star Trek MMO, we have no idea wheather it would be more expensive, cheaper or exactly the same. I for one would prefer Cryptic to buckle up and correct the mistakes they've done with DR, possibly even rearange the people on high management level so STO can continue long into the future.
    HQroeLu.jpg