test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dont see many Excelsiors these days

Comments

• lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Mastered the Avenger, the Eclipse, the Guardian and about done with the Phantom. I'll be going back to the Avenger. IMO the only reason to use the Intel ships is for the intel abilities. Other than that I think they are a POS. The Phantom has been nice, but the Guardian has been better than them all.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    lordkhorak wrote: »
    Though of course, with the somewhat arbitrary 40 year jump to STO, the result is that the positively ANCIENT Excelsior class has now been trucking for 129 years! Those hulls must be held together by the hull paint at this point.

But using something so ancient that it's already a vintage in it's own way in the 'modern' environment in STO is one of the best feelings for me. Yes, I'm weird that way, but there's something about these classics - especially the older hulls like the Constitution and Excelsior that makes me really love them. And I for one love the fact I can have ships such as the Excelsior, Constellation, B'rel and K'tinga at end game. :)
    TRIBBLE starship mastery. I'll never use another ship.

Upgrade your Excel, you'll get mastery. No need to use other ship than the one you love. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't own an excelsior but i do own the Fleet avenger and Fleet Defiant, don't know what to upgrade really
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • colinus#1809 colinus Member Posts: 33 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      I still use mine!
      been a gold player since may 20th 2014
      o:)
    • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      With the introduction of DR, absolutely nothing matters in the game except DPS.

Since the Excelsior is not the best Fed Ship for DPS, they're disappearing.

You can out damage the Excelsior with the Assault Cruiser and the Avenger.. that's why you see so many of both.

DR killed everything that wasn't pure DPS.

I'm still happy when I see an Excelsior fly by.. I love those ships. I never bought one, but they're one of my favorite all time Star Trek ships.
      Insert witty signature line here.
    • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      If anything, DR gave me more reason to keep flying mine.
      ZiOfChe.png?1
      edited November 2014
      With the introduction of DR, absolutely nothing matters in the game except DPS.

Since the Excelsior is not the best Fed Ship for DPS, they're disappearing.

You can out damage the Excelsior with the Assault Cruiser and the Avenger.. that's why you see so many of both.

DR killed everything that wasn't pure DPS.

I'm still happy when I see an Excelsior fly by.. I love those ships. I never bought one, but they're one of my favorite all time Star Trek ships.

Believe me Sir, that the Fleet Excelsior is above and beyond the DPS call of Delta Rising. It's one of the tactically most potent cruisers.
      HQroeLu.jpg
      edited November 2014
      i agree with that statement it is very tanky for a tactical captain
    • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      westmetals wrote: »
      In fact, it's not a typo. You don't use an apostrophe to pluralize. Although you should have had one in don't.
      And "can't" in the OP.
    • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      shpoks wrote: »
      Believe me Sir, that the Fleet Excelsior is above and beyond the DPS call of Delta Rising. It's one of the tactically most potent cruisers.

Oh I absolutely believe you. The Fleet Excelsior is still one of the best ships in the game.

I was more trying to explain the logic of the average player, the ship being more Engineering Oriented then other ships like say the Assault Cruiser leads people away from it. That and I think a lot of Excelsior players went up to that horrid looking Intel Cruiser.

I 100% agree with you, any content in the game is easily do-able in the Fleet Excelsior.. it's a fantastic ship, I believe it's still one of the best ships in STO.

I would fly it over the Intel Cruiser just for the look alone.
      Insert witty signature line here.
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      Probably people are doing ship mastery on the new ships to get ship traits, and will go back later.
      I'll admit that I'm doing that right now, but.... I'm not sure if all of my characters will go back to using their old ships in shiny new T5-U versions. Some probably will, but some probably won't.
      cbrjwrr wrote: »
      Public service announcement: This post was brought to you by the NSPCA.
      and the letter
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      Yeah yeah whatever you all work your butts off to get your excelsior back somehow only to have craptic come along and TRIBBLE you all over again and guess what......you guys seem to like it where they been giving it to you lololololololololol
    • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      Upgrade your Excel, you'll get mastery. No need to use other ship than the one you love.

Oh, I have upgraded :) But because I won't use any other ship, then it really does not matter to me. :D I guess I should add that I'm not going to use another ship to get a hold of that special skill that I can transfer to the Excelsior. Personal preference, of course.

Believe me, if I could play more then I'd be happy to represent the few and the proud Excelsior pilots in STO :P
    • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      I rotate thru my chars for new ships every couple of months. Have the Ambassador and the Avenger on both of my Feds. Next up will be an Excelsior for one or both of them.

Some people think she's old. I prefer to think of her as a Timeless Classic. And would any of you who have disparaged the Excelsior turn down the keys and title to a '70 Mustang Mach 1? I think not.
      A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,206 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      I would use an excelsior still but I f'ing love the eclipse and the guardian.
      Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      There was a time when the T5 Excel was the only "decent" tac-oriented Cruiser in that tier - which annoyed me a bit, as I personally prefer the look of the Sovereign. But now we have lots more options, including an updated version of my own favorite which makes it quite competitive.

So now, the only people you see flying them are those who actually like the old girl, rather than everyone feeling that they "have to."
    • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      I've been running the Excelsior through the Mirror Event. It's sweet, classic lines put those new, two dimensional ships to shame. And frankly, I've been seeing Phantoms and even Eclipses blowing up left and right, and in ME no less. So yeah, I'll be fine in the Excelsior. With a Hydrodynamics Compensator and fleet RCS, turning is no problem.
      edited November 2014
      Oh, I have upgraded :) But because I won't use any other ship, then it really does not matter to me. :D I guess I should add that I'm not going to use another ship to get a hold of that special skill that I can transfer to the Excelsior. Personal preference, of course.

Believe me, if I could play more then I'd be happy to represent the few and the proud Excelsior pilots in STO :P

Yes i love my excelsior never actually flew anything else

I actually like to fly an iconic ship
    • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      Actually i'm using the zen version of excelsior on a secondary toon, quite good as multipurpose/farming ship :D and it looks very nice :)
    • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      Oh I absolutely believe you. The Fleet Excelsior is still one of the best ships in the game.

I was more trying to explain the logic of the average player, the ship being more Engineering Oriented then other ships like say the Assault Cruiser leads people away from it. That and I think a lot of Excelsior players went up to that horrid looking Intel Cruiser.

I 100% agree with you, any content in the game is easily do-able in the Fleet Excelsior.. it's a fantastic ship, I believe it's still one of the best ships in STO.

I would fly it over the Intel Cruiser just for the look alone.

You Excelsior pilots are so lucky. Some of us are still forced to switch over to newer ships.
      stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
      Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
      My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
    • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      cbrjwrr wrote: »
      It is mildly ironic that the first powercreep dies by it's own progeny.

Is it ironic? No. Is it poetic? Yes.

Irony is when the event that happens is contrary to expectations. Of course power creep obsoletes older examples of power creep. That's what it does. It creeps.
    • bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      As many have noted, I also am currently working on mastery levels for other ships. My two most
      used ships were just the first ones leveled up...

PRIMARY U.S.S. Graf Spee (Excelsior retrofit)

SECONDARY U.S.S. Napoleon (Avenger BC)

I've got a big carrier, and a Risian "speedboat" to level before I get back to them.

BCW. :)
    • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      wilbor2 wrote: »
      I had a fleet excel for 4 mths before DR came out. I upgraded to T5U and am enjoying using it in the new story missions it laugh's at them on elite.
      I think you will find alot of players going back to there fav ships once they have the starship trait.

This <---- For ppl who bought the Delta pack. Theres at least 4 ships your gonna want to upgrade to Mastery level 5 just so you can use the traits on your favorite ship. After Cryptic nerfed the rep who knows how long its going to take. At least now I can focus all of my attention on upgrading tier6 ships instead of buying zen and wasting it on crafting (haha).
    • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      zero2362 wrote: »
      EDIT Cant believe I made a typo in the title. meant Excelsior's

Huh?! Honestly, I think you meant 'Excelsiors.' :)
      3lsZz0w.jpg
    • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      I honestly haven't seen that many T6 ships out there. Slowly more are creeping in, but so far, in my experience, it's still overwhelmingly older ships.
    • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      TRIBBLE starship mastery. I'll never use another ship.

Now that is a real fan right there! :D
      My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
      edited November 2014
      You Excelsior pilots are so lucky. Some of us are still forced to switch over to newer ships.

Meh. I'm still using my Galaxy, upgraded it to T5-U. For me, nothing will ever be able to beat what the Galaxy represents.
      HQroeLu.jpg
    • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      while i do love the Excel, the Guardian whi i got to test out i feel is a far better ship, its layout is really good and its turnrate is much better than most ships its size.

Lore wise i suppose its a good thing its seen less and less after all it is a 200 year old design by now.
      0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
    • willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
      edited November 2014
      I have a T5U Fleet Excelsior. i use ti sometimes in the MU Incursion. But i don´t really like it. Was a just for fun buy. if i want a real DPS centered ship i use my Regent (more Tac slots, no 3 eng. slots and also 4 Tac consoles) and if i want a more balanced ship thats still powerful i use my Ambassador, Eclipse or Guardian. And if i want to upset my Temmates i use my Gal-R T5U because everyone assumes that ship is weak.

Btw is there a way to get the Type 6 hull for the Excelsior? I only have the Fleet version so i don`t know if the T5 c-store version has that hull type too.