Install Arc
Options

Dont see many Excelsiors these days

13»

Comments

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    while i do love the Excel, the Guardian whi i got to test out i feel is a far better ship, its layout is really good and its turnrate is much better than most ships its size.

Lore wise i suppose its a good thing its seen less and less after all it is a 200 year old design by now.

the original excelsior launched 2290 and in sto its 2410. thats 120 years old, not 200 years. someone mentioned that on esd chat the other day i corrected that same info there as well. please look up that type of info first.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Excelsior_class
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    zero2362zero2362 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Excelsiors is the plural of Excelsior.
    Excelsior's is the possessive of Excelsior.

Only you can prevent apostrophe abuse.

I stand corrected
    343rguu.jpg

• Options
    lordkhoraklordkhorak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    zero2362 wrote: »
    I stand corrected

Where's your full stop?

No, this won't do. Report to the punitive grammar corrections unit, citizen. You will learn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The problem with the Excelsior is it only has a LtCDR tac slot. When introduced it was the most tac seating you'd get on any fed cruiser. In terms of BFAW and APB, it does really well. Howevery, cryptic are slowly trying to kill that off, it seems. It also means you can't run much else.

The more recent ships have better tac seating and are in general better suited ships. The Avenger (despite its looks) is quite versatile. The assault cruiser refit also has good tac seating and looks better than the Avenger. There are better cross-faction cruisers as well.

While the Excelsior is by no means helpless, it isn't quite as good as the newer ships.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The LtC Tac seating is not a problem at all; it's a cruiser after all. If it's not as good as newer ships ... well that makes sense in-game and canon ... newer should be better.

but then there is the Captain at the helm. So "better" is relative.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    the tac seating is enough, i run dual epw and a2b to make up for the lack of another tac slot, squishy cruiser, but puts out one hell of a kick.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    You know I kinda want to buy one of these ships now. Do you get a discount on the Fleet version if you have the Zen version?
    343rguu.jpg

• Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You know I kinda want to buy one of these ships now. Do you get a discount on the Fleet version if you have the Zen version?

Ofcourse you get a discount (If you get the T5 C-Store version, not the T3 one ofcourse). And the Excel is tons of fun to use, one of the most entertaining ships I used in STO. If you're like me and not obssesed with the new OP intel stuff, the Excel is still a beast and a very fun ship. The built-in transwarp also comes in handy at times and I love when the transwarp breaks and makes that clunky sound from the movie. Reminds me of good old Scotty. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ^ Haha, that's right! You know, when that happens, I really can't get upset because it gives me a chance to fly the ship to the destination where I get to watch it from several angles. *sigh* It's just a great looking ship!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Ofcourse you get a discount (If you get the T5 C-Store version, not the T3 one ofcourse). And the Excel is tons of fun to use, one of the most entertaining ships I used in STO. If you're like me and not obssesed with the new OP intel stuff, the Excel is still a beast and a very fun ship. The built-in transwarp also comes in handy at times and I love when the transwarp breaks and makes that clunky sound from the movie. Reminds me of good old Scotty. :)

I have the T3 and its transwarp has never failed on me. Speaking of can I use the T3 skin on the T5?
    343rguu.jpg

• Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You can mix and match parts from the Enterprise-B and the Excelsior models. Each of which has 2 nacelle options with minor differences (4 in total to mix-match).
  • Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Why have a T5U Fleet Excelsior when you can have an Eclipse Intel cruiser for cheaper.
    (2000+500+700)

Why? You're asking why? Really?

Well, look at this http://youtu.be/4GbKUVK_Ct0

then you'll find the answer. I don't think that a razor blade-like ship made out of nowhere can compete with the above.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I have the T3 and its transwarp has never failed on me. Speaking of can I use the T3 skin on the T5?

The T3 one you have comes with the transwarp computer console. The T5 doesn't come with a special console - it has a built in transwarp ability that lets to transwarp to any sector space in STO for free. That's the one that rarely and very randomly breaks when you hit transwarp, making the reckognizable clunky sound as a nod to the movie and Scotty. I don't thik anyone ever got angry when their transwarp failed, it's a genuine moment of apreciation to every Star Trek fan. :)

About the skin, that's the one I'm using on mine - T3 skin, the classic Sulu's Excelsior. I only added blue bussard collectors at the tip of the nacelles to add a personal touch, otherwise it's the same.
    Actually, the T5 Excelsior comes with both skins even if you don't have the T3 one. I don't have the T3 one, but I still have the skin. It comes with 2 different skins and 3 differnet nacelle configurations that can be combined.
    Why? You're asking why? Really?

Well, look at this http://youtu.be/4GbKUVK_Ct0

then you'll find the answer. I don't think that a razor blade-like ship made out of nowhere can compete with the above.

Absolutely. There's just something special about the classics from that era that I like.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Oddly enough I actually like the look of the Eclipse. (Intel cruiser.) And the new T6 intel ships in general. The shapes do distinctly remind me of Starfleet classics. Just the hulls have been altered to distinguish that they are indeed intel ships.

But I've really bonded with the Eclipse as a ship itself. Its got the clout, enough hull, good shields and is agile enough to suit my needs very well. Its a pleasure for me to fly.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    TRIBBLE starship mastery. I'll never use another ship.

Same. I tried to do the mastery on some of my other free upgrade ships, but none are as fun to fly as my excel. Even the new shiny t6 ships aren't doing it for me.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ^ Haha, that's right! You know, when that happens, I really can't get upset because it gives me a chance to fly the ship to the destination where I get to watch it from several angles. *sigh* It's just a great looking ship!

Says it all. :)

BCW.

P.S. In all the time cruising with her, the transwarp has only failed once. Took me by surprise
    really, but did draw quite the smile from me.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Same. I tried to do the mastery on some of my other free upgrade ships, but none are as fun to fly as my excel. Even the new shiny t6 ships aren't doing it for me.

The Excel is one of those ships that doesn't go away. :) It's perfectly fine-tuned to be able to fulfill the role you'd espect from a standard cruiser, but at the same time to fulfill the requirements of the game contnet as well. I bought mine just to have it because it's a Star Trek classic, but then I found out that it actually fits my playstyle as a glove and it's tons of fun to use, while looking great.
    HQroeLu.jpg