test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dont see many Excelsiors these days

zero2362zero2362 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
I used to see them fairly frequently but the past couple of months iv only seen one or two. Do they not measure up anymore

EDIT Cant believe I made a typo in the title. meant Excelsior's
343rguu.jpg

Post edited by zero2362 on

Comments

• Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Why have a T5U Fleet Excelsior when you can have an Eclipse Intel cruiser for cheaper.
    (2000+500+700)
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    zero2362zero2362 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Why have a T5U Fleet Excelsior when you can have an Eclipse Intel cruiser for cheaper.
    (2000+500+700)

Lets see, generic sci fi pancake vs iconic federation ship
    343rguu.jpg

• Options
    lordkhoraklordkhorak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    zero2362 wrote: »

Don't be ridiculous, the lineage to the stretched, flowing lines of the Enterprise-J definitely included blocky lumps with nacelles like an abstract squid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I had a fleet excel for 4 mths before DR came out. I upgraded to T5U and am enjoying using it in the new story missions it laugh's at them on elite.
    I think you will find alot of players going back to there fav ships once they have the starship trait.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I hadn't saw many Excelsiors either. I do have one which I love using. However I'm on my Ambassador since I love that ship even more.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Without DR my exel would once again have been the ship of choice for the mirror event, however I don't feel like upgrading ship and layout just for the event.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I suspect most people (who would normally use the Excelsior) are instead using the Fleet Galaxy Dreadnought (+Hangers) or the Fleet Assault Cruiser (+Ensign Tactical Boff). Both these ships can pretty much better what the Excelsior can do, depending on what you want to do.

If you're looking for something with more Tactical abilities, then you're going to buy the Assault Cruiser. If you're looking for something with a little more survivability, then you're likely going to buy the Dreadnought Cruiser.

I guess it goes back to what one of the Devs (I think) said about the new T6 ships; there are too many T5 ships, and there's not enough true variation between them. I hope that the T6 Fleet is far more limited by comparison because of this.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Just a wild guess, but I imagine once peeps get done with their Starship Masteries, we will see a return of the Excelsiors , and possibly the Avengers.
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    T5U avenger and already getting mastery on it. Still see PLENTY of Avengers.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I for one have been using my T5-U Excelsior in the mirror event daily. With cruiser commands set to turn it performs quite nicely there. Have even got it now to T2.5 with just doing the mirror event.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I used to fly it on 2 characters and loved it. For me the reason was the 4th tac console on the Risian Cruiser. It can fill the same role quite nicely, be fit exactly the same or differently due to universals, and...perhaps most important...the upgrade was free.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    on my main i run a t5u fleet excelsior, with a few tweaks i can output a lot more damage, but just lacking in dilithium resources. i will remedy that eventually. bring my build upto spec, need to get those mk 11 vr nanite disruptor arrays to mk 14 at some point and find some vulnerability locators on top of a really good warp core. some point i wanna get at a meco resilient shield with high capa with good reg, that way at least then things will be a lot more interesting both survival and dps wise.

but yes i run an excelsior and that wont change until t6 is made a step up, so far it isnt, so thats that.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    varthelm wrote: »
    I used to fly it on 2 characters and loved it. For me the reason was the 4th tac console on the Risian Cruiser. It can fill the same role quite nicely, be fit exactly the same or differently due to universals, and...perhaps most important...the upgrade was free.
    and the clicky consoles for the Risian ships are awesome!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It is mildly ironic that the first powercreep dies by it's own progeny.
  • Options
    comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Probably people are doing ship mastery on the new ships to get ship traits, and will go back later.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I used to see them fairly frequently but the past couple of months iv only seen one or two. Do they not measure up anymore

Edited your thread title for yah :)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Edited your thread title for yah :)

Rolls over and dies of shock because a mods been helpfull
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    on my main i run a t5u fleet excelsior, with a few tweaks i can output a lot more damage, but just lacking in dilithium resources. i will remedy that eventually. bring my build upto spec, need to get those mk 11 vr nanite disruptor arrays to mk 14 at some point and find some vulnerability locators on top of a really good warp core. some point i wanna get at a meco resilient shield with high capa with good reg, that way at least then things will be a lot more interesting both survival and dps wise.

but yes i run an excelsior and that wont change until t6 is made a step up, so far it isnt, so thats that.

The Benthan Assault Cruiser is really identical to the Excelsior, even handles like one. It's the only ship that actually made up for me having to part with the ship that my Feddy engineer had the day that ship came out. Did cost a 100 mill ECs but I gladly paid that price to retain the feel of the Excelsior's handling... and the Benthan cruiser looks rather nice, bit alien but nice.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Regardless of looks, stats do not lie.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Excelsior's what? Since the apostrophe implies possession of something... ;)
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'll still be using my Excelsior. It's too much fun to fly and it's one of those timeless Trek classics that will always be close to my heart. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    nagyervinnagyervin Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    T5U avenger and already getting mastery on it. Still see PLENTY of Avengers.

Never switched from my Avenger. Upgraded it, and doing it's job pretty well.
    Your Plasma Torpedo - Heavy III deals 174321 (66343) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to I.R.W. Valdore. :o
  • Options
    lordkhoraklordkhorak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I'll still be using my Excelsior. It's too much fun to fly and it's one of those timeless Trek classics that will always be close to my heart. :)

Though of course, with the somewhat arbitrary 40 year jump to STO, the result is that the positively ANCIENT Excelsior class has now been trucking for 129 years! Those hulls must be held together by the hull paint at this point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    phalanx01 wrote: »
    The Benthan Assault Cruiser is really identical to the Excelsior, even handles like one. It's the only ship that actually made up for me having to part with the ship that my Feddy engineer had the day that ship came out. Did cost a 100 mill ECs but I gladly paid that price to retain the feel of the Excelsior's handling... and the Benthan cruiser looks rather nice, bit alien but nice.

dont have 100m for the cruiser, so i cant state if it is or isnt, but the risian cruiser is similar to the excelsior. my main reasons for the excelsior is to stick my middle finger up against the sto canon and celebrate the old guard that makes the federation what it is, the excelsior, miranda, akira, galaxy, steamrunner, norway and many others. the excelsior for a cruiser is more tactically configured as well, i knew that when i went for the cruiser earlier in the year. never regretted the choice since.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    TRIBBLE starship mastery. I'll never use another ship.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    lordkhorak wrote: »
    Though of course, with the somewhat arbitrary 40 year jump to STO, the result is that the positively ANCIENT Excelsior class has now been trucking for 129 years! Those hulls must be held together by the hull paint at this point.

Actually it would still be an in current serice ship for Starfleet by 2410.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Excelsiors is the plural of Excelsior.
    Excelsior's is the possessive of Excelsior.

Only you can prevent apostrophe abuse.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Excelsiors is the plural of Excelsior.
    Excelsior's is the possessive of Excelsior.

Only you can prevent apostrophe abuse.

Public service announcement: This post was brought to you by the NSPCA.