test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Too Much Fail

sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
For me there is only one major problem with the expansion - the queues.

The leveling rate is fine for me. The story is excellent.

The advanced and elite queue changes are hurting this game. And I love this game. Stop the bleeding please.

All advanced queues need the same treatment that Crystalline got.

All of these new optionals = fail need to be removed. Keep them as optional for more rewards. The game of life has plenty of possibilities for failure. No one is looking for it in a video game. IT SIMPLY IS NOT FUN. Get rid of it and reduce the HP on the same scale as Crystalline.

I would also suggest that elite should be puggable but if you want it premade only I won't cry about it.

Finally, I would suggest doing the following... Announce that you thought about it and since the dilithium rewards for filling all spec points have been removed you are returning these points to players. Say that you should have checked the old systems for old style easy ships. I think it's a good compromise that costs the company nothing. No more tears formula.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'd say that lowering the base rewards and making optionals required for Advanced difficulty is a bit of an overcompensation. Too many changes at once in the same direction.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    Agreed all on points.
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sorry , but until "Advanced" is not giving out the awards from the previous "Elite" from 2 weeks ago , it's not getting me back in the game .

Getting the "ability" to finish a run is not enough .
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    this post coming from the one who said and i "I'd be perfectly fine if I took 12 months to hit level 60"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    … we had a running system 2 weeks ago and there was never any reason to take it away from players.

The common STO player has been conditioned to endure pain the past 2 years. It’s all endurable if u have at least something to play left.

-> forget about current or past normal modes because they are an insult to everybody in sto.
    -> reinstate old elite precisely the way they were as current normal mode.
    -> keep current advanced as it is

I think this would rally settle things for the moment and would be easy to implement. If cryptic would discover that the reinstated old elite missions would still be consumed by 90% of the player-base perhaps reconsider the reward structure.

God… how hard can it be?
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    this post coming from the one who said and i "I'd be perfectly fine if I took 12 months to hit level 60"

gosh darnit i did not say that. I said it took me 12 months to reach cap in Lotro. I said 3 or 4 weeks is fine from 0 to 60. 2 weeks from 50 to 60.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• mrgrocer56mrgrocer56 Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Cryptic created this mess by introducing so much power creep for sale/grind and leaving the pve environment stagnant, difficulty-wise, for years. They molded the players and community into a mass of folks expecting easy play and uber-casual success. Then, with DR, they move the goal posts 5 miles the other direction. Frustration and impatience smacks the playerbase in the collective face and Cryptic is betting that they will open the wallet to try to alleviate those negative emotions. It's one Hell of a risky gamble, IMHO.
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I will agree on the failure condition. I'm sick of pugging. 90% of the time everything fails. The only Advanced queue im having any luck with is ISA, and that only because I bring a crowd controller with gravity wells that constantly has to avert mission failure by Nano spheres. It still takes ages considering the low rewards.

So here's how I would have done it:

- Failure conditions on elite ONLY. That is how it was in the past (if I remember correctly).

- Dil rewards back to where they were. 480 for normal, 960 for advanced and 1440 for elite.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    when the players are 60 with T6 and lots of mastery points then advanced will be boring again

thanks powercreep!

its too late for STO
  • oneofexploitoneofexploit Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm level 60 with 14 spec and full ship mastery and ISA when I pug still fails. :P I average 12-20k dps, not that dps is the be end all. Need more good crowd control sci
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I agree regarding the advanced queues, they shouldn't be that much more difficult than the old elite, and should be giving the same rewards as the old elite did.

The new elite however should be a hellish challenge that no PUG could ever hope to complete, encouraging pre-made groups (such as fleet teams) to take them on as a challenge, and earning extra rewards along with achievements (with titles) so that they can show off that they beat the most difficult of content.

Pre DR, this is pretty much what we were promised, that elite was going to become advanced, and the new elite was going to be nightmare mode content for those who felt that the old elites were too easy. Then they decided to nerf the rewards and make advanced unfriendly for pugs too.

It's too much change at once.

I also agree that I love the rest of the changes and additions made in DR, but not the queues. In fact, I used to play the queues a LOT, now I don't play them at all. Normal is too easy and a pointless waste of time, advanced is way too difficult in a pug, and with the 1 hour cooldown ends up another waste of time that just leaves me feeling frustrated. It doesn't matter that my character is level 60, with MK XIV gear etc when all it takes is a single person in the PUG to be running below par gear, or not know what they are doing, to fail the STF in seconds flat for the whole team.
  • chk231chk231 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There are still a lot of new people doing ISA for the first time. Hopefully as the weeks pass on by, and people learn, it will become easier; for pugs at least. ISA requires teamwork, something that can cause problems in mmos lol. We'll see what happens a month from now. :P
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    when the players are 60 with T6 and lots of mastery points then advanced will be boring again

thanks powercreep!

Well then ... , maybe thanks to powercreep , we would then be ready for the new Elite ?

That's what power / gear progression is supposed to be for ... in theory .
    You either unlock a new foe / level , or a new level of difficulty in the same arena .

Only in STO you get the reverse with Reputations ... -- grinding content to get gear to grind the very same content ... , at the very same level .... .

... at this point I'm beginning to think STO needs 4 levels of difficulty ... , with the last one saved for the DPS crowd to chew on ...
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    gosh darnit i did not say that. I said it took me 12 months to reach cap in Lotro. I said 3 or 4 weeks is fine from 0 to 60. 2 weeks from 50 to 60.

there is not even enough content for 3 or 4 weeks and some are getting sick of repeating the same mission more so for very little reward with the 200k hp on bad guys now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Definitally, it should have gone like this:

- Keep all rewards the same as pre-DR
    - Normal difficulty got a minor health/dmg boost to incorporate some new power creep: +10% hp/dmg
    - Advanced (previously Elite) +20% health and dmg
    - Elite: +200% to health and dmg (based on old elite). 1440-1700 dilithium rewards, 2-3x as many special mark items, 2-3x as many marks, 2-3x higher xp rate. etc

Edit; also normalize/balance rewards based on completion time. It's **** that some stf's (borg) are so much better than other stf's because they're A LOT faster to clear.

Elite could be too hard to pug anytime soon, but not boring snore fest either. Rewards should reflect that.

I'm against settings things back to exactly old values since with lvl 60 and the new mk gear levels powercreep would be pretty high, but a small boost would do, not a massive health boost like we have now...

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • tankfox23tankfox23 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There's not enough power creep In the game to turn a poorly built/flown 5k boat into a decent 10k contributor.

I have run pugs for months and there's always 2-3 folks that are clueless, why anyone expects that to change is beyond me.

Changing it back to optionals would be a great first step. The Borg will still be floating bags of hp, but at least I will be able to complete a pug.

I am beyond trying to change their minds on the rewards. Metrics have to be met player enjoyment be damned.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I tend to avoid those PvE queues that I know I will fail. I only do a handful nowadays--Bug Hunt and Fleet Alert being the most. It is kind of sad how the PvE queues have fallen. I used to grind Elite STFs a lot. Oh well...I guess I will keep doing what feels good to me.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    there is not even enough content for 3 or 4 weeks and some are getting sick of repeating the same mission more so for very little reward with the 200k hp on bad guys now

You are right of course. :)

...but if the common player would simply have fun at endgame which starts at lvl50 who would care about any of this?
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I dont really have too much of an opinion on the new queue changes yet, i'm still busy grinding up dil so i can buy a T6 ship and i've also been busy just goofing off trying to have fun. BUT some of the instances that have a score which determines how much of a reward you get is what i like better then the pass = reward, fail = no reward. If you want to max out your reward then you need to max out your participation in getting those optionals.

IE Khitomer Space: optional is no probes must reach the exit. So you start with lets say 50 points on the scorecard for that optional objective. If you complete the instance with 50 points then you get 50 bonus marks, 1 point = 1 mark. But lets say 1 probe makes it through the gate so 5 points are deducted from the starting score of 50 points. Another 3 probes make it through the gate and you lose another 15 points (5 points each). By the end of that run 4 probes total made it through the gate. Max points is 50, each probe that went through is 5 points so you lost 20 points meaning your adjusted score for this particular run is 30 points which gives you 30 bonus marks. If 10 probes make it through the gate then at 5 points per probe you lost 50 points, or in other words all 50 points are gone so you get no bonus marks.

Infected Space: left side is assigned 25 points right side is assigned 25 points combined thats 50 points. For every nanite probe or nanite sphere that makes it over to the transformer and gets a heal off you lose 5 points. So how does that work? simple...you go left you kill kill kill everything. Somehow 2 nanite spheres/probes manage to get a heal off. You just lost 10 points out of 25 on the left side so your score on the left is 15. You go to the right side and kill kill kill some more and this time no probes make it over so your score on the right side is 25. The gate dies and the cube dies and your bonus score is 15+25 for left+right. You overall score for bonus objectives is 40 points at the end of the instance...40 points = 40 bonus marks. While we are at it how about we make the nanite spheres/probes that spawn from the middle gate of Infected immune to tractor beam repulsors whether it is pull or push. Make EWP, GW, TR, and the other slow type effects the ones that can stop them.
  • wykinwykin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    @op

+1
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    sorry , But Until "advanced" Is Not Giving Out The Awards From The Previous "elite" From 2 Weeks Ago , It's Not Getting Me Back In The Game .

Getting The "ability" To Finish A Run Is Not Enough .

+1
  • spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited October 2014

thanks powercreep!

its too late for STO

Exactly … we should remember how powerful we will be after getting to 60 and filling all spec points and unlocking all starship traits : some of us are starting to fathom that but we don't know yet .
    I have been levelling a ground tac toon, filling some spec points especially commando ( because I foresaw the existence of intelligence lol ) and I have been seeing his progress, new more powerful mechanics, more crits, less cd and so on.
    Yesterday at lvl 59,5 I did a KGA.
    It happened almost the same scenario as a KGE I did about 1 month ago : me the DPS leader of the pack, 1 not bad ground dps competent fleetie on a space toon ( whom unfortunately I had to send to the room to be cautious ), 1 decent player who at least knows what's doing, 2 noobs.
    1 month ago, it was successfull although not very easy.
    Yesterday it was not but we failed the optional by less than 1 minute… and I was still 59,5.
    Anyway I scored 248 dps , so I got that goin' for me which is nice :D
    P58WJe7.jpg

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    God everybody keeps complaining about advanced? Did a run through with a T5U avenger and basically lvl 12 equipment.

Died exactly once because it was the borg Gate mission(forget the name, half asleep at the moment, driving a truck all night before I go to sleep) and I ticked off the Tac Cube and it obliterated me.

Other than that, all they did was throw in more things to kill that are slightly harder than standard.

If you got level 12 gear you got no excuses not to pug at advanced level.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • wykinwykin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    God everybody keeps complaining about advanced? Did a run through with a T5U avenger and basically lvl 12 equipment.

Died exactly once because it was the borg Gate mission(forget the name, half asleep at the moment, driving a truck all night before I go to sleep) and I ticked off the Tac Cube and it obliterated me.

Other than that, all they did was throw in more things to kill that are slightly harder than standard.

If you got level 12 gear you got no excuses not to pug at advanced level.

Yeah, totally this!

Why do they complain to be allowed to spend more time in STFs for less reward.
    I dont unterstand that too.
  • oneofexploitoneofexploit Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Don't forget, not everyone will have t6 ships. I refuse to pay the outrageous price for such ****ty ships just to get a starship trait.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014

The advanced and elite queue changes are hurting this game. And I love this game. Stop the bleeding please.

All of these new optionals = fail need to be removed. Keep them as optional for more rewards. The game of life has plenty of possibilities for failure. No one is looking for it in a video game. IT SIMPLY IS NOT FUN. Get rid of it and reduce the HP on the same scale as Crystalline.

I would also suggest that elite should be puggable but if you want it premade only I won't cry about it.

Finally, I would suggest doing the following... Announce that you thought about it and since the dilithium rewards for filling all spec points have been removed you are returning these points to players. Say that you should have checked the old systems for old style easy ships. I think it's a good compromise that costs the company nothing. No more tears formula.

get rid of the queues altogether, put down some systems for where these missions are and let players shout out for "LFG CSN/CSA/CSE" around vorn and "LFxM 4 ISN/ISA/ISE" or whatever around sibiran. then bring back the old stf's from before they were snapped in half. adjust the game parameters for optionals and adjust the rewards. then you got yourself a massive boost in interest for the game.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Sorry , but until "Advanced" is not giving out the awards from the previous "Elite" from 2 weeks ago , it's not getting me back in the game .

Getting the "ability" to finish a run is not enough .

Same here.
    Devs, the unfun is OP please nerf.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • brantregarebrantregare Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've found a way to deal with the queues. I no longer bother. I might run the occasional normal one just to break the boredom but not bothering with anything else. I kinda lost all heart for it playing FFA one night and discovering that a Vishap (of all things) had 365k+ hull never mind shields and it took 3 of us banging away at it for near a minute to take it out. Whatever... so glad that the normals are gonna be impossible to beat when the weakest ship in a TRIBBLE ton of ships needs 3 people to kill it.

At this point, I've started treating the Devs the same as I do the people in charge at my job: they say something, I automatically label it bv||$#!+ and sit back to see how things are gonna blow up in their face but be MY fault.

The one good thing to come out of all of this though is that I now spend a lot less time on the game, and a bit less money. Yes, yes, I'm one that doesn't mind spending money on things I enjoy to help keep it going, but other than the little bit of storyline* I'm not really trying anymore. No more money, less and less time.

Thanks Cryptic/PWE.

Heh and as of 30ish minutes ago the queues were mostly dead. I hope it stays that way.

* I hate Voyager. Hate the whole damn crew to be honest, but at least it is a little bit of story line. If only they had spent that money on game instead... sigh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I stopped enjoying the queues, so I stopped playing them.

End of story.

Will Cryptic look again at advanced? I hope so. End of the day, those who want things a LOT harder have elite now. End game queues for those who want a really difficult challenge, elite. Those who want this have lost nothing, they GAINED elite. Those of us who liked the old elite however LOST something, we lost queues that we enjoyed, as normal is just way way way way too easy.

Heck, add a 4th level, rename them normal (current normal), advanced normal (old elite), advanced (current advanced) and Elite (current elite). But right now the leap from normal to advanced is too large or many, and the reduction in rewards has just compounded this.

If I don't enjoy something, I don't do it.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This is Incarnate content all over again.

The chance of Ancient Batteries in the reward box is pretty much our punitively slow Dark Astoria (for those evil people who didn't like my super awesome raids and experiencing them with 20 of their closest friends) alternative.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited October 2014

If you want optional optionals, play normal. Problem solved.