What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic bans accounts impersonating Devs for 24 hours

Comments

• Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This idiotic thread made it to 38 PAGES!?

*facepalm*

No...you are not allowed to impersonate a dev.

And no....24 hours should not hurt your feelings.

It's Cryptic...not Craptic. Get over yourself.

Can we move on now please?
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Just said this in the cheater thread:

Consipracy theory: the game currently requires too many resources to maintain for too little proft, and they want to slowly kill it off and focus on more lucrative titles.

Man it sure sounds like that theory is becoming less and less ridiculous.

Nah. All other PWE games are utter TRIBBLE (or derivatives of utter TRIBBLE); but STO is their big money-maker!

Besides, didn't you read D'Angelo?! DR is allegedy their most successful expansion ever.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014

It's both 'Cryptic' and 'Craptic.' But you won't know, until you open the lockbox. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited October 2014
    This idiotic thread made it to 38 PAGES!?

*facepalm*

No...you are not allowed to impersonate a dev.

And no....24 hours should not hurt your feelings.

Can we move on now please?

the only idiotic thing here is your post.

No ...you dont know what impersonate means.

And no random banning people is against TOS .

it is craptic .Get over yourself

Can you move to other threads with your trolling.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    They should have locked "Geko" as a name, and variation around. Same for others devs name, at least the one we heard about (Taco, Smirk...)....

No kidding, almost all the games I play do this and therefore isn't an issue, if the system says it's ok to use the name, then you're good to go.

Anyway, lots of mixed opinions on this, I don't see it being a big deal in either direction. I don't see a big deal in naming a toon Geko because of the @handle. On the other hand, the ban itself isn't that big of a deal either...it's only a 24 hour ban. *Shrug*.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    It's both 'Cryptic' and 'Craptic.' But you won't know, until you open the lockbox. :P

It's 'Corruptic' and 'Craptic', nothing cryptic about it unless people are completely blind...oh wait most of them are.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    kavase wrote: »
    No kidding, almost all the games I play do this and therefore isn't an issue, if the system says it's ok to use the name, then you're good to go.

Anyway, lots of mixed opinions on this, I don't see it being a big deal in either direction. I don't see a big deal in naming a toon Geko because of the @handle. On the other hand, the ban itself isn't that big of a deal either...it's only a 24 hour ban. *Shrug*.

yea the ban is not a big deal ,true.Thats why you should be randomly banned for 24 hours.
  • Options
    oneofexploitoneofexploit Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So people naming their toon Geko after their favorite lizard, or think its funny to name a gorn that. Well that's obvious dev impersonation right there! /sarcasm

Looks more like banning it to protect some ones thin skin or enormous ego who thinks it's all about "him" and not anything else.

This just shows how ridiculous cryptic is becoming.

You know TOS/EULA are completely useless and not enforceable if taken to any court of law.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No. It looks like the person was banned for reasons other than the name because the "evidence" posted by the OP was obviously tampered with to conceal the real terms of service violation. Having the character name genericed was simply part of the punishment.

The only reason someone would block out which ToS violation they are being punished for is because they are lying. :rolleyes:

yes because someone hiding their account name is a conspiracy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    oneofexploitoneofexploit Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm hiding my account name :P
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Now they're pulling this just because of a name? That's just Dev immaturity if you ask me.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So people naming their toon Geko after their favorite lizard, or think its funny to name a gorn that. Well that's obvious dev impersonation right there! /sarcasm

Looks more like banning it to protect some ones thin skin or enormous ego who thinks it's all about "him" and not anything else.

This just shows how ridiculous cryptic is becoming.

You know TOS/EULA are completely useless and not enforceable if taken to any court of law.

I'm unaware of any lizard called "geko".
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Despite the hyperbole in the OP it does raise and interesting question. Has everyone with "Captain" in their name been banned? I would hazard a guess that this is nothing more than the big crybaby Geko throwing another temper tantrum toward players. Is it silly? Yes. Surprising? Not so much.
  • Options
    atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    Now they're pulling this just because of a name? That's just Dev immaturity if you ask me.

In all my time dealing with Cryptic, it's been years since they dealt with their customers in a mature manner.

When the lead developer ignores cogent posts in favor of betting on how many posts it takes for someone to write "Hitler" you know what kind of man-child mentality is prevalent over there.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    No. It looks like the person was banned for reasons other than the name because the "evidence" posted by the OP was obviously tampered with to conceal the real terms of service violation. Having the character name genericed was simply part of the punishment.

The only reason someone would block out which ToS violation they are being punished for is because they are lying. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm sure in light of open information and discussion the OP would be more than willing to post an entire capture of the whole body of the email. I will wait patiently for the OP's full disclosure.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    mhirtesc wrote: »

its not the devs...devs have nothing to do with the idiotic behavior of GMs.A year or so ago they were banning on esd people who were doing gorn jokes.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    Yes, I'm sure in light of open information and discussion the OP would be more than willing to post an entire capture of the whole body of the email. I will wait patiently for the OP's full disclosure.

yes I will post the entire email box because a kid who trolls on internet asks for.
  • Options
    gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    1) The correct spelling is GECKO, spelling it geko would suggest an attempt to impersonate a dev.

2) This is clearly forbidden in the PWE TOS, which you agree to when you create your account, and continue to indicate your agreement for as long as you continue to play any of their games.

3) The same TOS forbids the discussion of mod or GM actions.

So, you break the TOS, then break it some more by discussing the GMs actions. What? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    fenr00k wrote: »
    1) The correct spelling is GECKO, spelling it geko would suggest an attempt to impersonate a dev.

2) This is clearly forbidden in the PWE TOS, which you agree to when you create your account, and continue to indicate your agreement for as long as you continue to play any of their games.

So, you break the TOS, then break it some more by discussing the GMs actions. What? :rolleyes:

go to school and learn what impersonate means.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    yes I will post the entire email box because a kid who trolls on internet asks for.

A kid who trolls didn't ask for it. I am asking for it. I'm neither a child nor a troll. And asking you not to cut out part of the body of an email so as to include the entire text is not trolling you. I'm fine with you blotting out your email adress. But I will want to see the WHOLE body of the email address. Your silly stunts may persuade all the children here. It does not persuade us adults.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    fenr00k wrote: »

1 Dev have purple names

2 not everyone knows the dev because a minority of the player base only come to the forums

3 block the name from ever being made like they did with ships using "enterprise"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    A kid who trolls didn't ask for it. I am asking for it. I'm neither a child nor a troll. And asking you not to cut out part of the body of an email so as to include the entire text is not trolling you. I'm fine with you blotting out your email adress. But I will want to see the WHOLE body of the email address. Your silly stunts may persuade all the children here. It does not persuade us adults.

it includes personal data which are none of your business.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Hiding an account name is one thing...but cutting out WHY YOU WERE BANNED so you don't look like a douche is quite another. That is kind of an import bit of info. I'm sorry, but with all the god damn stupid things they do, you don't need to make **** up like this to have legitimate complaints. At this point, you all seems to want to just fabricate stuff to incite outrage. Well stop it. I swear, if they spend one iota of time to deal with this stupid made up TRIBBLE instead of REAL issues...just remember, you all are bringing the TRIBBLE on yourselves with stunts like this one.

the only made up TRIBBLE is your account.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Hiding an account name is one thing...but cutting out WHY YOU WERE BANNED so you don't look like a douche is quite another. That is kind of an import bit of info. I'm sorry, but with all the god damn stupid things they do, you don't need to make **** up like this to have legitimate complaints. At this point, you all seems to want to just fabricate stuff to incite outrage. Well stop it. I swear, if they spend one iota of time to deal with this stupid made up TRIBBLE instead of REAL issues...just remember, you all are bringing the TRIBBLE on yourselves with stunts like this one.

he would still have to cut out stuff because it would say his account name more than once in the mail and to be frank yall still be saying he making it up
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    it includes personal data which are none of your business.

Yes, I know, you consider dev impersonation your own business. I get that. Cryptic's business is punishing people who engage in what is a globally frowned upon infraction on pretty much any webservice in existence. And I'm fine with that. The less people like that are online, the better things generally are. You're actually kind of lucky, 1 day ban for impersonation is actually pretty light.... commonly the punishment for impersonation on many sites is DEAT for a first offense, and DoS ruling on any subsequent infraction.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    he would still have to cut out stuff because it would say his account name more than once in the mail and to be frank yall still be saying he making it up

they are trolling and flaming .Dont bother with them.I do because they keep insulting and I enjoy insulting these jerks back.You wont find them in game and only on the forum and if you watch their behavior in other threads they do the same thing.Yes they do reek of stupidity too so its not just trolling.
This discussion has been closed.