test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic bans accounts impersonating Devs for 24 hours

Comments

• rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Agreed. Cyberbullying a dev in a particularly juvenille way is counterproductive.

If you can articulate a complaint in an adult way, go for it.

If you just want to get yourself banned, there are probably better and more productive ways to do that.

Please don't use the word cyberbullying. You clearly do not understand it at all.
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The only jerk here is you not my friends

If you want to get your fleetmates and freiends banned for something SO STUPID then fine, but that makes you an arrogant a$$.

If your fleetmates/firends are as idiotic as you are to actually do this, then great. Ban 'em. Clear the shallow end of STO's gene pool. You'll probably be thanked in the end.

Edit: WHY is this thread still alive? Are no mods on?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • rynohawkrynohawk Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Pretty sure I've seeb plenty of gekos, Tacos, Stahls, etc. as character names. I don't think those in and of themselves violate the EULA. Imagine how many people who play and never visit the forums are completely ignorant of Dev handles?

The catch is what the player says in chat, etc. while using those names (ex. "I'm Geko and I'm banning your fun..." Etc.).That may be the story we're not getting.

Sorry if someone already pointed this out. Didn't read through the whole thread.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    how i stab my fleet?

I want them to ban the entire playerbase .Then I want to ban all players with toons called John since clearly John is a dev name.

everyone with a toon called John should be banned for 24 hours.

The thing you threw on the wall earlier to see if it stuck fell off long ago...
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
    edited October 2014
    rynohawk wrote: »
    Pretty sure I've seeb plenty of gekos, Tacos, Stahls, etc. as character names. I don't think those in and of themselves violate the EULA. Imagine how many people who play and never visit the forums are completely ignorant of Dev handles?

The catch is what the player says in chat, etc. while using those names (ex. "I'm Geko and I'm banning your fun..." Etc.).That may be the story we're not getting.

Sorry if someone already pointed this out. Didn't read through the whole thread.

Agreed.

I sincerely tihnk there is much more going on behind the scenes than the OP will admit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Agreed.

I sincerely tihnk there is much more going on behind the scenes than the OP will admit.

He posted a snapshot. Doesn't sound like there was anything more to the story.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I could be in serious trouble here...
    I've had a BOff Saurian Lizard dude named Gecko for over a year now.

But I made him in reference to the GEICO lizard.

He even kinda-sorta looks like him.

:eek:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited October 2014
    Agreed.

Me thinks the same. Op is telling us half truths but we know he's a gollum because smeagol would never lie to us.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    WTF man, I go back to work, and the stupid threads pop up while I'm away..Grrrrr, you're killing me here. :mad:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited October 2014

Ofcoruse theres not ,but these people here only troll because they dont actually play the game ,they just come on the forum to troll.
    edited October 2014

I saw the snapshot.

I guess we can reoslve this if we can determine of any player with character names of or similar to other devs received a smiliar email. Since NO ONE has come forward, either Geko is the only name of note or there are a huge number of players not on the forums.
    Ofcoruse theres not ,but these people here only troll because they dont actually play the game ,they just come on the forum to troll.

That'll do, Capn... that'll do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lil confused, I've visited most mmo games at one time or another over the past 14 years and I never really come across too many people using Geko as a name so I don't really get why it's such an issue now. Is there really that many people on STO that want to call themselves Geko, and if so, wouldn't dozens of Gekos running around get a lil confusing after awhile?

Of course in their defense, anyone who did call their character that and was banned for it, they may not have known there was a developer or whatever called that, heck, I didn't know that myself, so banning anyone for that seems stupid. Any staff member that goofy needs to be fired because they should have better things to do like fixing all their TRIBBLE ups with the game than checking over the entire STO population to see if anyones using a similar name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Maybe it is an elaborate plan for Cryptic to get more money. The OP is trying to get other players to change their character's name. That means spending 300 Zen per person for the rename token. If 300 players have fallen for this, then the OP just made the devs $900.
    edited October 2014
    Maybe the mods live where it's currently the middle of the night and they are asleep?

People like the OP make these threads on weekends and late at night because they last longer.

What the? I never said that. Lol. The other forum dude did.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
    edited October 2014
    A snapshot can be staged and the person banned could easily be posting bannable statements in chat before or after the snapshot was taken.

first had no proof then the proof is made up (which is the mail from pwe) ,then whole thing is a conspiracy.You can get banned for doing something after you got banned....you make sense.

can you go troll some other TRIBBLE kid?
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Please don't use the word cyberbullying. You clearly do not understand it at all.

You're talking about trying to shame or irk someone over the internet with petty behavior. That's cyberbullying.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The only jerk here is you not my friends

Ever hear the phrase "Pick your battles wisely."?

That's the only thing I can think of right now. Of all the things to waste your time and energy trying to fight in regards to STO... this is what people consider a productive use of their time?

I mean okay, I can certainly see the asinine nature of a ban and name change over that. I can. But of all the things to get bent out of shape over, given all the issues STO has? It seems like a waste.
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Really? iconians is usually a bit too much in the 'defending Cryptic' camp for my taste; but he was spot-on right this time!

It's mentally easier to put someone in a 'Cryptic defender' or 'Cryptic apologist' camp than it is to recognize people can have various opinions and see the good as well as the bad.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited October 2014
    first had no proof then the proof is made up (which is the mail from pwe) ,then whole thing is a conspiracy.You can get banned for doing something after you got banned....you make sense.

can you go troll some other TRIBBLE kid?

You know, calling others 'kid' really only highlights your own immaturity and lack of ability to debate an issue. Not argue - any two year old can argue, but debate. Present statements backed by facts and supported by evidence to strengthen your point of view.

I used to be able to tell a lot about a person by the way they handled themselves when protected by the anonymity of the Internet. You tend to see the ‘real’ person through the veil pretty quickly.

Your level of angst over something so trivial is one thing, to attempt to encourage others to follow suit with the foreknowledge of a ban is another. You are an instigator and a coward, unable to face the fact that in the large scale of things, the big picture, it’s just a fekkin toon name! It’s not like they decided to ban you permanently.

But keep this up, keeping violating the EULA and encouraging others to do the same and it wouldn’t surprise me if that 24 hour ban becomes a 30 day (or longer).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    I'm not clicking on any links you or your friends post. You've proven you can't be trusted by admitting your trying to convince people to do things that will get them banned.

Smart. Very smart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This makes no sense, I've gotten messages from Cryptic in the past for inappropriate names, I mean really bad names, and never got banned, got a lot of messages to change them, but that's it.
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited October 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    This makes no sense, I've gotten messages from Cryptic in the past for inappropriate names, I mean really bad names, and never got banned, got a lot of messages to change them, but that's it.

It's almost as if there's more to the story that we aren't being told since it won't support the narrative they're trying to fabricate.

There's enough legitimate outrage in STO, we don't need fabricated outrage too.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited October 2014
    You know, calling others 'kid' really only highlights your own immaturity and lack of ability to debate an issue. Not argue - any two year old can argue, but debate. Present statements backed by facts and supported by evidence to strengthen your point of view.

I used to be able to tell a lot about a person by the way they handled themselves when protected by the anonymity of the Internet. You tend to see the ‘real’ person through the veil pretty quickly.

Your level of angst over something so trivial is one thing, to attempt to encourage others to follow suit with the foreknowledge of a ban is another. You are an instigator and a coward, unable to face the fact that in the large scale of things, the big picture, it’s just a fekkin toon name! It’s not like they decided to ban you permanently.

But keep this up, keeping violating the EULA and encouraging others to do the same and it wouldn’t surprise me if that 24 hour ban becomes a 30 day (or longer).

since when people debate with worthless kids trolling like you?
    edited October 2014
    since when people debate with worthless kids trolling like you?

Case and point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Everyone rename your toons now.

Also Im going to report this to Valve so they kick STO from their store and to some game reviewers on youtube ...Im sure they will love to have something to make vids about.

Also all my friends /fleet will have toons named Geko .

EDIT: http://1drv.ms/1DZaumk

Let him have his precious.
    At least you get a free rename and a break from the grind-fest.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lol isn't this like a police officer saying sure theres a lotta TRIBBLE and murders, and robberies out there but I can't deal with those right now because that guy is J walking? Don't the developers have, ehhh, I dunno, more important things to deal with like all the glitchs and bugs in the new DR stuff than to drop everything to be the name police? Not defending anyone, just sayin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    It's almost as if there's more to the story that we aren't being told since it won't support the narrative they're trying to fabricate.

To play off your sig:

"I don't know, therefore forum drama."
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
    edited October 2014
    vermatrix wrote: »
    lol isn't this like a police officer saying sure theres a lotta TRIBBLE and murders, and robberies out there but I can't deal with those right now because that guy is J walking? Don't the developers have, ehhh, I dunno, more important things to deal with like all the glitchs and bugs in the new DR stuff than to drop everything to be the name police? Not defending anyone, just sayin

The same people who fix bugs and glitches are not the same people employed to be the name police.

Much in the same way Forensics detectives aren't the same ones issuing citations for jaywalking.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If it's the same guy...there was some guy with the name Geko that wasn't the real Geko in OPvP the other day acting like him. If it's the same person, he was doing a lot more than just using the same name.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    iconians wrote: »

There is always at least 3 sides to any story. In the case of the OP, it is their side to the story, Cryptic's side to the story, and the truth. People usually try to make themselves look good and their opponent look bad. Which is the main reason why evidence is necessary in court.

It just doesn't make sense for Cryptic to impose a 24 hour ban on a character just because they used a name. Therefore, there is something missing from the story and Cryptic is usually cryptic about such things.

Cryptic must of had a flash of brilliance when they came up with their name since it fits the company and lots of other MMO companies so well.
    edited October 2014
    It's as if he's trying to educate you and demonstrate how to behave in the admittedly futile hope you might learn by example instead of self destructing like you are trying to do.

I keep hoping he will adapt. I see now his resistance is absolute. Assimilation into the logical can not commence. Terminate subject.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.