test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic bans accounts impersonating Devs for 24 hours

Comments

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    It just doesn't make sense for Cryptic to impose a 24 hour ban on a character just because they used a name. Therefore, there is something missing from the story and Cryptic is usually cryptic about such things.

It's normally MMO policy to not comment on disciplinary action against their customers. Cryptic's side of the story in these matters is usually (but not always) "No comment."

I have seen a lot of blatant violations of the EULA and ToS in the game, with the same offenders barely getting a slap on the wrist.

The fact OP is trying to play it off as, "I got banned for using a name and had my name changed." makes me extremely skeptical to put it lightly.

There is more to the story they are not telling us because it is not within their personal interest to be completely truthful.

It invites scrutiny.

Of course I can't prove my suspicions anymore than I can disprove the OP, so there is that.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    GM's aren't devs and don't work on coding fixes for bugs. Your analogy is like asking someone that works for the city parking authority why they aren't out solving homicides.

Who's to say the only staff members are not just developers and pr people and forum volunteers? I didn't know the game had GMs, from what I've seen on STO as far as what goes on in the game, if there are GMs they musta died or ran away or something cause they not doing anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited October 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    There is more to the story they are not telling us because it is not within their personal interest to be completely truthful.

It invites scrutiny.

http://1drv.ms/1DZaumk

guess you dont know how to read.I think you should go to school more if you cant read it will help in the future .
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Dude... it's 24 hours... 1 day... it's not like he was perma-banned.... 1 day... on a weekday...

really this is a slap on the wrist. He broke the EULA, knowing obviously. Cryptic came down on the light side with a simple 1 day ban. 24 hours. Hell probablyl with life going on that's what... 4 hours of game time he lost. Boo friggin hoo.

Well, small things look big to children.
    edited October 2014
    vermatrix wrote: »
    Who's to say the only staff members are not just developers and pr people and forum volunteers? I didn't know the game had GMs, from what I've seen on STO as far as what goes on in the game, if there are GMs they musta died or ran away or something cause they not doing anything.

The GMs are like Section 31. They just appear out of nowhere when it is most convenient, then disappear back into the shadows.

As I said, it's MMO policy not to comment or publically reveal disciplinary measures taken against violations of the ToS.

The "No naming and shaming" rule goes for Cryptic as much as it does us.

But they do have GMs, they just do not usually make themselves publically known since it is not necessary.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited October 2014
    guess you dont know how to read.I think you should go to school more if you cant read it will help in the future .

Yeah, you really have me pegged there.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    There is always at least 3 sides to any story. In the case of the OP, it is their side to the story, Cryptic's side to the story, and the truth. People usually try to make themselves look good and their opponent look bad. Which is the main reason why evidence is necessary in court.

It just doesn't make sense for Cryptic to impose a 24 hour ban on a character just because they used a name. Therefore, there is something missing from the story and Cryptic is usually cryptic about such things.

Cryptic must of had a flash of brilliance when they came up with their name since it fits the company and lots of other MMO companies so well.

'Geko' is part of the forum name of the Lead Designer Al Rivers (Captain Geko). Given the situation over the past couple of days, characters using that name in some fashion finally rose to the point that Cryptic decided to take action.

Why they didn't just add the name to the 'reserved name' list for STO (meaning if someone named a character using that phrase/name the system would automatically reject it); is beyond me (maybe they will after this at some point.) That said, for anyone thinking - "Okay, I'll do it just to make some GM have to come and ban me for 24 hours..." I wouldn't bother as it's probably an automatic script which, once it's triggered, institutes a 24 hour ban and forces a rename.

And like others have said - ALL MMOs do this (IE make sure Dev related handles can't be used for in game character names by rank and file players); so reporting this to Valve, Steam, etc. will at best provide a chuckle to their respective staff and the only comment they might make to others around them is "Hey, we got another report from some MMO newbie... " (BTW - Valve and Steam are PAID by game developers to list their games; so short of a developer doing something really egregious in Valve's/Steam's eyes - neither are going to ban STO for what is known as a standard MMO developer business practice.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • rynohawkrynohawk Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    http://1drv.ms/1DZaumk

That says he got banned and has to change his character name from "Geko". It does not say why he was banned nor does it say he was banned for having that character name.

And I agree, there are plenty of other things done wrong on here right now to rage about, this not being one of them. Just another example of what I call "First World Problems."

BTW, posting about moderation is also against the TOS. With that and the fiery ball of flame this thread has become, I'm surprised it's still open. ;)
    edited October 2014
    He can read better than you can write. :rolleyes:

I know, it's a cornucopia of poor spelling, bad grammar, sentence structure and punctuation issues.
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited October 2014
    (BTW - Valve and Steam are PAID by game developers to list their games; so short of a developer doing something really egregious in Valve's/Steam's eyes - neither are going to ban STO for what is known as a standard MMO developer business practice.

no one pays valve to keep their games on their store.Valve removed lots of games when got complaints ...be sure there will be about 300 complaints about this on valve.
    rynohawk wrote: »
    BTW, posting about moderation is also against the TOS. With that and the fiery ball of flame this thread has become, I'm surprised it's still open. ;)

yea bannin random people is moderation.I make something on that moderation.Respect is earned not demanded
    edited October 2014
    no one pays valve to keep their games on their store.Valve removed lots of games when got complaints ...be sure there will be about 300 complaints about this on valve.

yea bannin random people is moderation.I make something on that moderation.Respect is earned not demanded

You must be really, really bored.

About as bored as I am for watching this thread.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • rynohawkrynohawk Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    'Geko' is part of the forum name of the Lead Designer Al Rivers (Captain Geko). Given the situation over the past couple of days, characters using that name in some fashion finally rose to the point that Cryptic decided to take action.

Why they didn't just add the name to the 'reserved name' list for STO (meaning if someone named a character using that phrase/name the system would automatically reject it); is beyond me (maybe they will after this at some point.) That said, for anyone thinking - "Okay, I'll do it just to make some GM have to come and ban me for 24 hours..." I wouldn't bother as it's probably an automatic script which, once it's triggered, institutes a 24 hour ban and forces a rename.

And like others have said - ALL MMOs do this (IE make sure Dev related handles can't be used for in game character names by rank and file players); so reporting this to Valve, Steam, etc. will at best provide a chuckle to their respective staff and the only comment they might make to others around them is "Hey, we got another report from some MMO newbie... " (BTW - Valve and Steam are PAID by game developers to list their games; so short of a developer doing something really egregious in Valve's/Steam's eyes - neither are going to ban STO for what is known as a standard MMO developer business practice.

My point is, the name Geko in and of itself is not the issue (Geko in this case being the characters name, not the @handle which might be more of a no-no and would be rejected). What the player says with the name is probably more on target to what the problem is.

Your name being a perfect example. You probably don't go around saying "I'm a Dev" which is why you haven't been banned or asked to change.
  • josan369josan369 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    30 pages and no one has asked the important question:

Are you, the OP, quitting?

And if so: can i haz ur stuff?

:D
  • ermanameermaname Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Damn I was just about to ask...

Can I haz ur stuf?

Anyone?

I'll give it a good home... anyone?
  • captainsucrecaptainsucre Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'll bet that nothing will happen if people started naming their characters after other Cryptic employees.

It was just coincidence that your friend's character had the same name as a vindictive person. Seriously, if it was that important, a forced name change would've been sufficient, but a ban is just petty.
    edited October 2014
    rynohawk wrote: »
    ....With that and the fiery ball of flame this thread has become, I'm surprised it's still open. ;)

It's still open because a couple of us are STILL waiting to hear from Tacofangs in regards to trading Taco's for Kettle Corn.
  • giveroffacialsgiveroffacials Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    HAs anyone EVER posted a list of all the DEV and employee names so we don't accidently name our characters with one of their golden rams fleece names in it? Because the eula doesn't mean squat, if I pack a name and I don't attempt to impersonate a dev by telling people I'm a dev then woop de doo it's not against the EULA.

A police department I worked for got in a spat because they really wronged a guy when his soon to be ex-wife claimed she was being harassed and provided false telephone records to the police. They searched his house for 8 hours, confiscated his computers for two years and any storage media he had, pulled guns on his girl friend. When he complained, they just made it worse and so he printed up a name plaque with the lead detective's name on it and started photographing it in very uncomplimentary places, like strip clubs. They tried to sue him for identy theft. It didn't work. Not trying to give anyone ideas, just saying impersonating someone has more than the aspect of the same name, and this seems to be gross "Tau Dewa".
    Space the final frontier. These are the voyages of [your name here] on a five year mission to gain one level after the delta rising xp nerf.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthlokidarthloki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

it is still against the tos for even talking about moderation and they don't need to earn respect at all this is there game they can do what they want plus your friend broke the tos by using a name or part of a name of someone who works at cryptic etc
    edited October 2014
    He's not quitting, he's trying to get himself and others banned so he can play the victim. Like how some people cause auto accidents by stopping short and blame the other guy for "injuries" they received.

If he gave his stuff away it would look suspicious and premeditated. ;)

That's right! It was his "Friend" that got in trouble! I started to forget what this thread was even about. :P
  • ermanameermaname Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    josan369 wrote: »
    That's right! It was his "Friend" that got in trouble! I started to forget what this thread was even about. :P

Taco value in relation to kettle corn?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,429 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    HAs anyone EVER posted a list of all the DEV and employee names so we don't accidently name our characters with one of their golden rams fleece names in it?
    Geko isn't exactly obscure. And it's no accident - the lizard is called a "gecko", so even that attempt to claim ignorance is fatally flawed.

Nice try, kid.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you want a list of the devs' names, you need not look any further than clicking the Dev Tracker right here on the forum. That easy.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    I do not understand the point of this... why is "Geko" taboo?

I was thinking bc of Gordon Geko, "greed is good"
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Geko isn't exactly obscure. And it's no accident - the lizard is called a "gecko", so even that attempt to claim ignorance is fatally flawed.

Nice try, kid.

Spelling FTW!

Also I feel stupid for not realizing the C was missing
    GwaoHAD.png
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited October 2014
    Everyone rename your toons now.

Also Im going to report this to Valve so they kick STO from their store and to some game reviewers on youtube ...Im sure they will love to have something to make vids about.

Also all my friends /fleet will have toons named Geko .

EDIT: http://1drv.ms/1DZaumk

translation on:
    OMG Cryptic did something I dont like so Im gonna try and TRIBBLE over all the players using the steam version of this game and then turn around and try and get everyone stupid enough to follow me banned for naming characters geko

gg.... theres a bridge missing its troll right now
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • oneratsonerats Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    If you want a list of the devs' names, you need not look any further than clicking the Dev Tracker right here on the forum. That easy.

Good. That way I know which names I can give all my alts.

Seriously, if the game doesn't automatically prevent you from using these names then they have NO right to ban you for using them. Even forcing a name change is shady at best.

When I start playing an MMO and make a character, never once have I EVER thought.. oh, right.. I should go research the names of company employees so I know which names I ought not use as it might inadvertently be associated with the company.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    onerats wrote: »

Seriously, if the game doesn't automatically prevent you from using these names then they have NO right to ban you for using them. Even forcing a name change is shady at best.

When I start playing an MMO and make a character, never once have I EVER thought.. oh, right.. I should go research the names of company employees so I know which names I ought not use as it might inadvertently be associated with the company.

They have every right, if they don't like how you spelled a name on your character, they can just change it with or without your consent.
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited October 2014

300 complaints? That's like a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the users. In fact I dare say that if Valve got wind that you advocated a plan to get 300 people banned for what you know is a TOS vioilation to then turn around and make frivilous complaints, that Valve will get right to removing things from Steam.... such as your steam account, Given that you would be announcing to steam your own TOS violation which would also include a violation of STEAM's TOS. As they do not take kindly to impersonation under their terms of service either.
    edited October 2014
    onerats wrote: »

Boy, aren't you edgy?

You have a funny idea of what the term 'right' means, particularly in the context of a video game.

Most don't. Which is why people should not be taking what you have to say at face value.

The fact your 'evidence' consists of disciplinary actions without cause to why tells me that you're fabricating this or just purposefully omitting the important parts of what they sent you... like why you were banned. Usually the e-mails about such things show the specific ToS violations and hard evidence as to why specifically you violated it.

The fact you are the only person in the 4 years I've played this game to say that Cryptic banned you without saying why does not tell me they are being jerks and are out to get you. It does not tell me that you are for some reason really special.

When I've seen exploiters, AFKers, and harassers get away with their questionable behavior, but have also seen them show pictures of the e-mails they got showing exactly why they were banned, it tells me that you are just plain being deceptive out of boredom or that you think people will believe what you have to say.

The only 'evidence' that what you say is true is your own hearsay.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • pherraspherras Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Seems a bit extreme for 30 pages.
This discussion has been closed.