test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic bans accounts impersonating Devs for 24 hours

Comments

• oneofexploitoneofexploit Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So people naming their toon Geko after their favorite lizard, or think its funny to name a gorn that. Well that's obvious dev impersonation right there! /sarcasm

Looks more like banning it to protect some ones thin skin or enormous ego who thinks it's all about "him" and not anything else.

This just shows how ridiculous cryptic is becoming.

You know TOS/EULA are completely useless and not enforceable if taken to any court of law.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No. It looks like the person was banned for reasons other than the name because the "evidence" posted by the OP was obviously tampered with to conceal the real terms of service violation. Having the character name genericed was simply part of the punishment.

The only reason someone would block out which ToS violation they are being punished for is because they are lying. :rolleyes:

yes because someone hiding their account name is a conspiracy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited October 2014
    I'm hiding my account name :P
  • mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Now they're pulling this just because of a name? That's just Dev immaturity if you ask me.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So people naming their toon Geko after their favorite lizard, or think its funny to name a gorn that. Well that's obvious dev impersonation right there! /sarcasm

Looks more like banning it to protect some ones thin skin or enormous ego who thinks it's all about "him" and not anything else.

This just shows how ridiculous cryptic is becoming.

You know TOS/EULA are completely useless and not enforceable if taken to any court of law.

I'm unaware of any lizard called "geko".
  • kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Despite the hyperbole in the OP it does raise and interesting question. Has everyone with "Captain" in their name been banned? I would hazard a guess that this is nothing more than the big crybaby Geko throwing another temper tantrum toward players. Is it silly? Yes. Surprising? Not so much.
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    Now they're pulling this just because of a name? That's just Dev immaturity if you ask me.

In all my time dealing with Cryptic, it's been years since they dealt with their customers in a mature manner.

When the lead developer ignores cogent posts in favor of betting on how many posts it takes for someone to write "Hitler" you know what kind of man-child mentality is prevalent over there.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
    edited October 2014
    No. It looks like the person was banned for reasons other than the name because the "evidence" posted by the OP was obviously tampered with to conceal the real terms of service violation. Having the character name genericed was simply part of the punishment.

The only reason someone would block out which ToS violation they are being punished for is because they are lying. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm sure in light of open information and discussion the OP would be more than willing to post an entire capture of the whole body of the email. I will wait patiently for the OP's full disclosure.
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited October 2014
    mhirtesc wrote: »

its not the devs...devs have nothing to do with the idiotic behavior of GMs.A year or so ago they were banning on esd people who were doing gorn jokes.
    edited October 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    Yes, I'm sure in light of open information and discussion the OP would be more than willing to post an entire capture of the whole body of the email. I will wait patiently for the OP's full disclosure.

yes I will post the entire email box because a kid who trolls on internet asks for.
  • gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    1) The correct spelling is GECKO, spelling it geko would suggest an attempt to impersonate a dev.

2) This is clearly forbidden in the PWE TOS, which you agree to when you create your account, and continue to indicate your agreement for as long as you continue to play any of their games.

3) The same TOS forbids the discussion of mod or GM actions.

So, you break the TOS, then break it some more by discussing the GMs actions. What? :rolleyes:
    edited October 2014
    fenr00k wrote: »
    1) The correct spelling is GECKO, spelling it geko would suggest an attempt to impersonate a dev.

2) This is clearly forbidden in the PWE TOS, which you agree to when you create your account, and continue to indicate your agreement for as long as you continue to play any of their games.

So, you break the TOS, then break it some more by discussing the GMs actions. What? :rolleyes:

go to school and learn what impersonate means.
    edited October 2014
    yes I will post the entire email box because a kid who trolls on internet asks for.

A kid who trolls didn't ask for it. I am asking for it. I'm neither a child nor a troll. And asking you not to cut out part of the body of an email so as to include the entire text is not trolling you. I'm fine with you blotting out your email adress. But I will want to see the WHOLE body of the email address. Your silly stunts may persuade all the children here. It does not persuade us adults.
    edited October 2014
    fenr00k wrote: »

1 Dev have purple names

2 not everyone knows the dev because a minority of the player base only come to the forums

3 block the name from ever being made like they did with ships using "enterprise"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited October 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    A kid who trolls didn't ask for it. I am asking for it. I'm neither a child nor a troll. And asking you not to cut out part of the body of an email so as to include the entire text is not trolling you. I'm fine with you blotting out your email adress. But I will want to see the WHOLE body of the email address. Your silly stunts may persuade all the children here. It does not persuade us adults.

it includes personal data which are none of your business.
    edited October 2014
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Hiding an account name is one thing...but cutting out WHY YOU WERE BANNED so you don't look like a douche is quite another. That is kind of an import bit of info. I'm sorry, but with all the god damn stupid things they do, you don't need to make **** up like this to have legitimate complaints. At this point, you all seems to want to just fabricate stuff to incite outrage. Well stop it. I swear, if they spend one iota of time to deal with this stupid made up TRIBBLE instead of REAL issues...just remember, you all are bringing the TRIBBLE on yourselves with stunts like this one.

the only made up TRIBBLE is your account.
    edited October 2014
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Hiding an account name is one thing...but cutting out WHY YOU WERE BANNED so you don't look like a douche is quite another. That is kind of an import bit of info. I'm sorry, but with all the god damn stupid things they do, you don't need to make **** up like this to have legitimate complaints. At this point, you all seems to want to just fabricate stuff to incite outrage. Well stop it. I swear, if they spend one iota of time to deal with this stupid made up TRIBBLE instead of REAL issues...just remember, you all are bringing the TRIBBLE on yourselves with stunts like this one.

he would still have to cut out stuff because it would say his account name more than once in the mail and to be frank yall still be saying he making it up
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited October 2014
    it includes personal data which are none of your business.

Yes, I know, you consider dev impersonation your own business. I get that. Cryptic's business is punishing people who engage in what is a globally frowned upon infraction on pretty much any webservice in existence. And I'm fine with that. The less people like that are online, the better things generally are. You're actually kind of lucky, 1 day ban for impersonation is actually pretty light.... commonly the punishment for impersonation on many sites is DEAT for a first offense, and DoS ruling on any subsequent infraction.
    edited October 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    he would still have to cut out stuff because it would say his account name more than once in the mail and to be frank yall still be saying he making it up

they are trolling and flaming .Dont bother with them.I do because they keep insulting and I enjoy insulting these jerks back.You wont find them in game and only on the forum and if you watch their behavior in other threads they do the same thing.Yes they do reek of stupidity too so its not just trolling.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Dont know but my friend just got 24 hours ban and his character ranemed ...for naming that toon Geko ...thats it geko ...4 letters.

Someone would have reported him for pretending to be a dev, which is against the TOS.

We had something similar but different a few years ago, where someone would pass themselves off as a STO dev. He'd get banned, make a new account and get banned again.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Impressive. But to tell the truth, I would be ashamed to name one of my toons after that *********auto-censored*.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This thread is to these forums as Reddit is to the Internet.

In other words, a titanic waste of time and a hive of stupid.
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    This thread is to these forums as Reddit is to the Internet.

In other words, a titanic waste of time and a hive of stupid.

HEY! The STO subreddit was good, until the forum qq leaked on to it so nevermind
    edited October 2014
    go to school and learn what impersonate means.

You accuse others of trollling, and then post this?

Sorry to dissapoint, but school ended for me many many years ago, as did college and university. Some of us here are adults, with families etc you know. lol

Yes, I quite agree that this thread is a waste of space on the internet. The sooner one of the mods closes it the better, given the quantity of TOS violations it contains.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    HEY! The STO subreddit was good, until the forum qq leaked on to it so nevermind
    In fairness, that is a very valid point.
    And you joined right in and opined all over it. Are you running for hive leader? lol :D

The title is Borg Queen. And yes. :D:P:cool:
  • omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Having a character named Geko is not impersonating a GM/Dev. Even in chat it is obvious who is and does not work for PWE/Cryptic, because it is clearly marked when they chat in game and on the forums. If people are just being ban for the name alone then someone at PWE/Cryptic just has an ego problem.

Saying you are a Dev/GM and doing stupid stuff pretending to be a them then that would be a problem, but someone would have to be naive or stupid to fall for it.
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB
    edited October 2014
    TOS violations lol. You're a funny man.

TOS/EULA are useless articles to pseudo cover craptic from any wrong doing :P
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Saying you are a Dev/GM and doing stupid stuff pretending to be a them then that would be a problem, but someone would have to be naive or stupid to fall for it.

No shortage of that in the game.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited October 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    No shortage of that IN THE WORLD.

Fixed that for you. ;)
This discussion has been closed.