test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Community Perception of games current state - let them know!

Comments

• Options
    adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    The since LOR the dev have done there hardest to make you buy zen but it has had the opsit effect on me ive stopped buying it.
    This game has gone from fun to a very grindy 2nd job i would spened 80% of my free time playing STO alot of the time just to help people in missions but now i do a couple and log off. Nowadays im more likely to stream a film then to be on STO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHr9JayVvg0

^^^^^^This^^^^^^
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I agree with skollulfr.

To borrow your own words... Why do you hate people who think differently?

You're bashing his opinion in the name of promoting different points of view.

Illogical much?

Anyways, the old STFs were balanced for the way the game was prior to the trait revamp. The devs rebalanced Advanced to have something like the difficulty that the old Elites had back then. BUT that assumes it's a level 60 player playing it.

He didnt bash the guy he asked a question.
  • Options
    gearth44gearth44 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Great video. Ty for making it. If only they cared.
  • Options
    voxasltcmdrvoxasltcmdr Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Overall, STO has become a Grindfest, everything, grind grind. to me, the new lvl cap,60 is just a beefed up 50. getting no more skill points to help max out those. i'm getting specialization pts which basically giving u some reduced CD's or debuffs. Those i like but i don't feel my char's get stronger. same thing with T6 ships, hp increases and u can get some ship mastery bits i'm not doing more dmg by default.

All want to get all my 18 chars thru to lvl 60, but atm I don't know if i can just stomach having to grind out pve's and kobali hour after hour just so i can do 2 missions that might give me a 10th or a little more or a little less. this is the real issue. leveling shouldn't the most daunting grind, but it is, peeps want and have that need to get to lvl 60 and this xp is the worst at 50-60.

STF's I like the new challenge but i don't feel that supersizing HP = more challenging. I don't think STO before DR was meant to feel "Elite"ist. I may make comments like "borg sphere hp is too much, needs to come down another 20-30 percent." i get a response "I don't see why then you can't do 20-30% more dps then." Normals are fine, always should be the easiest, but I don't see why advanced is just a step down from elites and not in the middle.

TL:dr Version:
    STO is no longer fun, everything is a grind, EVERYTHING. why is a difficulty upgrade mean enemies just get more HP that u can't deal with, with pre-DR set ups. the casual player is no more.
  • Options
    cincyman39cincyman39 Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You know I really do love this game I have been playing sto since dec 2010 when I got put into very early retirement my wife thought this game would keep me busy. I never bought a lts just stayed gold when the game went f2p I remained a gold subber. I did this becouse I wanted to support this game and over the years its changed for the good and bad.

The game really is a grind fest now they got cash grabs to end the timegates when dr went live and with all the issue's and after last week's patch and that responce I was done. I was not a part of the exploit or what ever they wish to call it nore did I lose any points but I cannot and will not support a company that will not admit to their TRIBBLE up.

So yesterday I cancelled my sub and wow I got three emails reminding me it had expired. Today when I got up there was another email reminding me it expired and I needed to log in to my account and reactivate it. I sent them an email letting them know I was going f2p and had no desire to spend another dime on this game and I gave them a list of reasons why I cancelled my sub will it do any good? no but atleast I got to air it out.

I will not quit this game I am now f2p and this company will not exploit my wallet anymore. Thanks for the video op im with you on this one.
  • Options
    janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to process this right here. Are they annoying players into quitting lol. :confused:

In a word, yes.
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited October 2014
    no... I think this video does a better job of explaining not only what is happening to STO, but other F2P MMOs... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to process this right here. Are they annoying players into quitting lol. :confused:

I think it's a miscalculation. They thought they would goad players into upgrading and buying R&D packs like crack etc... by making it have so many HP. But you need to put the carrot much closer to get this desired result. When the carrot is somewhere over in the next field you will not reach for it.

It's past time to set this right.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    no... I think this video does a better job of explaining not only what is happening to STO, but other F2P MMOs... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U

I really think people need to spam PWE corporate with this video.
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited October 2014
    cpc2011a wrote: »
    I really think people need to spam PWE corporate with this video.

Don't get me wrong, I LOOOOOOOOOVE STO to death, I love F2P games.... but that video just did the most marvelous description of what is going on, to the point where it makes me feel ashamed....
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Don't get me wrong, I LOOOOOOOOOVE STO to death, I love F2P games.... but that video just did the most marvelous description of what is going on, to the point where it makes me feel ashamed....

The first time I watched that video (a few weeks ago), my mouth just slowly gaped open as I listened to him literally describe STO word for word. That was before this mess!
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

No no, I agree completely. I also really like STO in general, and that's why I'm still around. Granted there are things here and there that really bug the TRIBBLE out of me, but most of them are minor.
    Yes, the video does a great job "laying it out". I came to STO the morning f2p launched and had my acct set up 2 months prior. My first month I spent more then I did for 2 years of my now defunct WoW acct, and I never went the LTS route. I've made purchases since then also, but the more my eyes have opened to what is going on, the fewer those purchases have become. I had even recently considered grabbing a sub again for a month or two to bring my last 7 alts up to speed with with the other 8 charactors. However, I put that plan on hold until I see the fallout of this complete mess they've walked themselves into.
  • Options
    andrestartrekandrestartrek Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    adorenko wrote: »
    As if there weren't enough angry threads out there on the forums, how about one more? Perhaps one that displays a more human element(in a video) to how people are feeling right now about their game. And I say their game because I think a lot of people feel this game has meaning to them, whether they play because of a deep love for Star Trek and/or they have just been here from the beginning and/or they have invested a lot of money into this IP MMO.

I know some of you are perfectly content with the current state of the game and that's ok, this video might not be for you then. I didn't make this video to try and upset anyone but to hopefully capture the mood of the community and put a human element to the player base that has supported this game. I hope that Cryptic realizes there is a problem in the game and that Delta Rising was not a successful launch. Please stop denying this, my father used to do the same thing with my mom when it came to smoking. He would tell her, "I'm not smoking" with a lit cigarette behind his back, well he's dead now. People wouldn't be yelling on the forum if they didn't care, they would simply walk away, as I'm sure some have already.

Simply denying the truth won't solve anything. People want to see this game be successful but they won't wait forever. I hope that developers and other key people at Cryptic watch this video and have a positive takeaway from this video and make the appropriate changes needed in game. For the players I hope this video finds them well and truly expresses accurately the way they feel about Their Game. Please let me know if I got it right. Thanks for watching.

Great video, thumbs up for this.
    trelane87 wrote: »
    The feeling I get from Cryptic's actions as of late:

1) DPS is the only way to go, if you can't do enough then this game isn't for you. Use a tactical character.

2) Alts are bad so we're going to make it take forever for you to max them out, also we're going to make it insanely expensive to upgrade all their gear... but we still want you to buy upgrade tokens and new T6 ships.

3) If you have any hope of doing any of the elite content you must upgrade all your gear or risk being called a noob. Also you must buy a tier 6 ship because it's 1000 times better than all the TRIBBLE ships we've come out with. Also we're going to decrease the rewards and increase the time it takes to complete elite queues because you're all spoiled.

4) We're gonna introduce brand new untested systems and the completely abandon them for another new system, and then add as many money pits to the systems as we can possibly put in them.

5) We introduced loadouts which makes you able to work with many different builds and encourages using different gear... then we forced upgrades and now you have 5 loadouts worth of gear to upgrade...

6) Buy more zen

Feels like they're trying to squeeze out all the f2p people in favor of the whales... elite content isn't worth the trouble anymore, outfitting multiple toons is ridiculously expensive, this game is slowly becoming a rich man's game :(

This is point for point the same as I think about this game at the moment.

This is what I have to say about this:

Let me first say this, I am lifetimer I got all lobi and lockbox ships and I also have all zen stuff from the zen store that I like. I am sitting on 5-6 mil dilitium and have around 2.000.000.000 EC, all playing/exchange, not from real money.

That said, I still think all new stuff is too expensive, to get gear to mk 14 epic is so steep that even for me it is too much to keep up. But if I compare to players that don’t even come close to me in the way of resources, I can only come to one conclusion, LOSING GAMERS. Cryptic has put up so big a wall that most players would stop before climbing the wall or will fall down while trying.

Because of this:
    - I refuse to buy T6 ship, because of the before end game ship not upgradable to real T6. But also because the REAL end game ship are not canon and I personally think they are kind of ugly (my opinion)
    - I refuse upgrading to T5U (what should have been upgraded to T6 not T5U) even the free upgrades for the lobi and lockbox ships.
    - I refuse to LVL my chars till it is more in line what we know from playing 1 till 50.
    - I refuse to upgrade my items to higher than MK XII Purple this because of the high resources and not have control what mod you get on a bound items.
    - I refuse to play in total except for things that make me really fall behind like delta rep on 1 char and turn on the 20 hour R&D daily and also turn on fleet project as I am one of the fleet leaders of the only real dutch fleet (400 players, 900+ chars) on STO.

I will make sure that I do my part to make the server statistics as negative as possible to bring the right message to them. And if cryptic can’t get their act together fast, I really am thinking of quitting this game and yes I know it sound kind of clich
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Sad to say but after watching that video I think this game is headed down that dead end road, hope all the whales have fun playing with themselves. If Cryptic isn't having major meetings right now to fix this game they may already know that the end is near and are just making those last minute cash grabs before the ship sinks. No more cash from me

• Options
    janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sad to say but after watching that video I think this game is headed down that dead end road, hope all the whales have fun playing with themselves. If Cryptic isn't having major meetings right now to fix this game they may already know that the end is near and are just making those last minute cash grabs before the ship sinks. No more cash from me

It's mid-week and if Cryptic were going to do something, they'd have done it by now.

Even whales eventually get when it's time to leave a bad situation.
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've been sayin' nearly this for a very long time and given the greed factor in the industry I expect the model will fail. In fact I give it to the end of the decade to be a failed paradigm because of the corruption of the game-play experience and lack of responsible social policy given the industry is unregulated.

Here is one that Cryptic should also see or maybe PWE:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXA559KNopI

I agree with it 100% if I have to deal with F2P then this is what I want.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    varekraithvarekraith Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Also a good one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhz9OXy86a0
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Going by the vids ive just watched STO is doing what alot of F2P games are doing going after the whales and ignoring the little guy. That for e,g like me has the spare cash to buy the LOR starter pack but does not have the cash to buy the DR pack.

Im really glad that i stopped spending my money on this game just after LoR.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    In regards to the F2P model, I think it's a good model but it's based on the premise of people using that model in a way that doesn't become bent by greed, misunderstanding of the concept or even just pure stupidity.

Now STO's model was good, but the gameplay has to go hand-in-hand with the model, and if you make the gameplay too grind heavy it can in itself push the F2P model out the window. I think what I'm trying to say is that everyone has to be able to remain competitive which was possible before now, but not any more.

Just to add, because I think someone mentioned about Cryptic having meetings by now if they were trying to fix this. In all honesty if you look at the Steam Stats for number of people playing this 'expansion' is nosediving. For anyone interested: http://steamcharts.com/app/9900#All

Truth is I think this game is likely just going to get given up on. It'll be interesting to see the financials for this quarter but in all honesty I can't imagine them being good. Certainly isn't their most successful expansion ever like they've been trying to claim.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    But you need to put the carrot much closer to get this desired result.

You have a good point there but it’s a bit worse than that. Cryptic was never particularly good in explaining their customers how their game works. Lately they have even advertised tier 6 ships as well as Intel powers. They do not only NOT help with the new PvE endgame infrastructure but rather point the casual crowd even in the wrong direction as DPS players have correctly demonstrated.

As far as gear upgrades are concerned they provide only a linear percentage on top of what you had. If you had a strong build b4 the benefit is partially reasonable, if you had a weak build b4 all upgrades a wasted effort under current hull hit point increase in general endgame PvE queues.

Result: Empty Queues -> rest of game pure grind -> no end game -> end of game
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    OK I'll let them know. Some things in DR are fine, others are great. If I ever find the game isn't fun I will rack off and:
    • Find a game I like
    • Not loiter in the STO forums for some bizarre reason
  • Options
    wykinwykin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As someone coming back to sto i absolutly dislike the costs and randomness of the new upgrade system. They could cut the costs by 50% and let us choose mods and it would still a high price.
    I pretty much can forget to upgrade my main char.. not to talk about my favorite Alt and even if i get my main char up there, i could never ever again change gear. I just cant think of a reason to tell myself that would justify to forget all the ec/dil i did spent and use another type of weapons (not upgraded yet) for example.

Also farming seems completly pointless. Elite patrols were fun but since the "adjustment" i have not seen a single good drop and xp wise playing elite is like shooting urself into the foot.
    Im sry, but how about giving elite patrols a higher xp reward.. like at least x5 over normal (i loled) so that the income is kinda equal comparing the time you need to invest.
    Also, i know.. players getting drops that are not trash is a big nono.. but how about change drop rates from 0 to somewhere that people get a good drop every 30 minutes?

Also STFs... the only thing that seems kinda rewarding right now are some Elite ground stfs (can you hear the devs running towards the nerf console..). Space is harder, takes more time and rewards are **** on advanced (seriously ****). Now maybe on elite they are good.. but i dont think i will be able to do them ever... and im sure they would take a long time to complete.
    I liked the old elite! I dislike the new advanced and elite.
    How about the old elite a little buffed up to be equal "hard" on lvl60, rename it to advanced and make the rewards good!!!!!!!!! (mmo = reward.. no reward = player gone). Then you can make the new elite doable without being ultra rare mkiv (... cost is to high) and being one of those who do whatever trick to be 5 times the dmg i already do.. (thats insane.. how).
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    FYI,
    Fleet activity is through the roof since DR launched. I've noticed many more people on average have been logging in. Also, there are more players online then usual. This fleet has approx 400 members.
    Not saying everything is perfect. Just recounting what I've seen since launch.
    It's been awhile since I've seen so many fleet members online together.

Before the DR lauch, things were getting pretty quiet.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    FYI,
    Fleet activity is through the roof since DR launched. I've noticed many more people on average have been logging in. Also, there are more players online then usual. This fleet has approx 400 members.

Your fleet would be one of the very few. My fleet was one of the fastest leveling fleets in the game pre DR and we have two fed fleets and a Klingon fleet now the roster is dead but for people coming in restarting their R&D and rep projects. The queues are dead as well but neither of us actually have real metrics, so your statement and mine are neither here nor there. My observation may be different than yours but seeing as there a lot more statements like mine, than yours, there does seem to be trend pointing to a decrease in community size.

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    FYI,

True, true BUT in my case I notice only full fleet rosters due of those type of player who usually pop up when new stuff is released before being gone again for a few moths enjoying other games till anything new happens in STO. I really hope they are not too disappointed by recent changes in endgame.
    Your fleet would be one of the very few. My fleet was one of the fastest leveling fleets in the game pre DR and we have two fed fleets and a Klingon fleet now the roster is dead but for people coming in restarting their R&D and rep projects. The queues are dead as well but neither of us actually have real metrics, so your statement and mine are neither here nor there. My observation may be different than yours but seeing as there a lot more statements like mine, than yours, there does seem to be trend pointing to a decrease in community size.

Even more true and a foreseeable big problem. From my observation those players who are regularly on even between the season start about to leave. I mean all those committed players investing time and/or money on the game on a regular basis.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    boosbcboosbc Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I still hope that Cryptic and PWE will see that there are better ways of making money. Until that moment, this whale is holding back.
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Granted steam charts is only a portion of the player base it does have a telling tale if the other launchers are seeing similar results which I suspect. A peak loss of about 1900 in the matter of 2 weeks (35% reduction!) is huge after a major expansion. It might be a 5yo game but a good expansion should keep the numbers solid for 30-60 days if not longer. But by making the game not Alt friendly, not load out friendly, not upgrade friendly people are getting fed up with it.

At this point I think people would rather be water boarded rather than run bloody patrols for the filler levels.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Come on now, get real here.

You cannot call a game succesful based on it's genre anymore than you can it's broken because of it being f2p.

All horror movies are great and all romantic comedies are great?

The f2p model was working excellently by their own admission.

They doubled their staff leading up to LoR - there was no reason to delete and nerf everything rather than just create some solid content.

For example the decision to make the romulan faction a fake faction and not letting people play as tal shiar - that wasn't the intricacies of f2p it was just plan, straight up stupidity and poor decisions.

It wasn't forced on developers because it's a f2p, rpg, 3D, rated E or whatever.

Developers' bad decisions were just that, developers' bad decisions.

There is no apologizing for it, rationalizing it or explaining it.

It was un-necessary, pointless, useless, worthless, silly, aimless, vulgarly absurd, inept and in-competent.

Not because it's an rpg or f2p but because of developers making bad decisions period