Install Arc
Options

Cryptic bans accounts impersonating Devs for 24 hours

Comments

• Options
    philchapphilchap Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    they responded earlier the name was "geko"

not saying he was lying but i just read threw the whpole yhread and the way he was acting towards others make thinks there more to the story. the snapshot to be fake too..
  • Options
    buddha1369buddha1369 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So has there been any PROOF that what OP claims happened actually happened? Or even if his "friend" was banned that his name was the actual reason? Has a single person other than OPs "friend" had this problem? Anyone at all?

Or is this hours long crapfest all based on nothing?
  • Options
    notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited October 2014
    philchap wrote: »
    not saying he was lying but i just read threw the whpole yhread and the way he was acting towards others make thinks there more to the story. the snapshot to be fake too..

oh yea I was acting bad ...being called a jerk ,dumbass ,liar and many other ways is fine but showing what happens in game is OMG bad and bannable.

also I love my faking skills...its a conspiracy ...you better go make your tin foil hat .Everythning is fake and everyone is a liar and a dumbass untill proven wrong.

the game is full of idiots without a doubt ..this thread shows it.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    buddha1369 wrote: »
    So has there been any PROOF that what OP claims happened actually happened? Or even if his "friend" was banned that his name was the actual reason? Has a single person other than OPs "friend" had this problem? Anyone at all?

Or is this hours long crapfest all based on nothing?

well there a snapshot link in the thread some pages back but some said it was a text or something. sorry i read all the pages they stared running together
  • Options
    haskanaelevahaskanaeleva Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    so what if someone like me, has no idea what the names of the Devs or their STO accounts are. and accidently name a character in a similar fashion, would I be treated the same?
    I think a warning would be better first step.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    oh yea I was acting bad ...being called a jerk ,dumbass ,liar and many other ways is fine but showing what happens in game is OMG bad and bannable.

also I love my faking skills...its a conspiracy ...you better go make your tin foil hat .Everythning is fake and everyone is a liar and a dumbass untill proven wrong.

1. i never said were lying or it was fake. I said could. There is a different there. But i will give you my opinion I say there more to the story then letting on. Thanks dor making my point for me.

To any Cryptic Dev or Mod. I will take any punishment handed out to me.I shouldnt gotten involved.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    so what if someone like me, has no idea what the names of the Devs or their STO accounts are. and accidently name a character in a similar fashion, would I be treated the same?
    I think a warning would be better first step.

i believe that is the standard prosercue. dont quote me on it. but i dont think they baan you riight away
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I once ran into a Geko once doing mine trap he was a AFKer i reported him. all so i pointed out that having some one AFKing with a call sign like a devs was bad idea. because people might think it was the dev AFKing and copy his actions.
    Before any one says no ones that dumb think of all the nOOb that turn off team chat in team missions
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    I once ran into a Geko once doing mine trap he was a AFKer i reported him. all so i pointed out that having some one AFKing with a call sign like a devs was bad idea. because people might think it was the dev AFKing and copy his actions.
    Before any one says no ones that dumb think of all the nOOb that turn off team chat in team missions

off topic just read your signature got a good laugh. love the name:)
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    philchap wrote: »
    off topic just read your signature got a good laugh. love the name:)

But its sadly true :eek:
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Isn't it just full of them. Like ones who name themselves after a Dev who has been here since the start, then like an idiot moan about it and try to encourage others to do the same and get banned.

The simple fact you are trying to get other people banned, shows what type of person you are.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    Isn't it just full of them. Like ones who name themselves after a Dev who has been here since the start, then like an idiot moan about it and try to encourage others to do the same and get banned.

The simple fact you are trying to get other people banned, shows what type of person you are.

Yup. "It's better to have people think you are a fool, than to open a thread and remove all doubt." :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And now, a magic trick.

I'm going to make this pencil, disappear! (WHAP!) TAAADAAA!!

it's gone .... :D
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Yup. "It's better to have people think you are a fool, than to open a thread and remove all doubt." :P

oh, snap!

Great update on an old saying, colour me impressed :D
  • Options
    miirikmiirik Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    you kids seem to forget that if anything the MAJORITY of players don't know the name of the devs

I bet ya there have been plenty of "geko" bans and the person is sitting there scratching his/her head.

it's a stupid rule
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    miirik wrote: »
    you kids seem to forget that if anything the MAJORITY of players don't know the name of the devs

I bet ya there have been plenty of "geko" bans and the person is sitting there scratching his/her head.

it's a stupid rule

ya ppl love throwing around how only the forums is a minority so now the ones that dont come to the forums are suppose to know Dev name so they dont get ban.................
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Fairly common. Usually not a good idea to use dev/staff 'names' in any game. That held true for just about every game I've ever played.

Now, most games I've played tended to have an identifier that differentiated between player and 'staff'...which tends to mitigate things a bit.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • Options
    mhal99mhal99 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It looks like after the nerf bat cryptic is using the ban hammer on the players.

My regular forum account appears to be under "moderation" now. I am not allowed to create threads or post on topics without moderation.
    Newly created accounts are not allowed to create threads and are by default under moderation.

That is how cryptic is dealing with well deserved critics.
    Hello Captain!

At this time, you may only post replies to threads that have already been created. After a certain amount of time has passed since your registration date, you will be able to create new threads in forums that allow it.

Thanks,

The Star Trek Online Community Team

If people complain about all the TRIBBLE that cryptic does... -> silence them.
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Nope.

I, as have many here, have modded for F2P forums in the past - as volunteers, not employed by or have any owership in the company behind the games.

And, for the record, if I were a mod, ths thread would have been closed for inciting a flame war before it made page 3...

Volunteer moderator....that's being a mall cop and pretending you are a real police officer.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    wildweasal wrote: »
    I'm sorry what seems to be the problem here... the one good thing I notice about these poisonous forums is that you whiners and complainers all the time who have been sucking the life outs the room here well guess what ...... some people were sick of hearing it and are now actually starting to put pen to paper so to speak to give you some pushback.....you dont like it so what we don't care were just letting you know we are here and we are tired of you so uninstall! no don't write anything else!!! don't write a rebuttal !!! uninstall !!!!! no no don't look at another page of forums!!! uninstall!!!! no don't tell me how bad cryptic is!!!! uninstall!!!! no no we don't care anymore that your XP got nerfed and points got taken away uninstall!!!!!! , okay you still looking at the screen in the STO fourms !!! and believe me when i twist this old break up line "NO IT REALLY ISNT ME IT IS YOU " uninstall that way you people wont have to come in here anymore cause you dont play....your still reading this ?? go now !! what part of uninstall you not understand??

Please take your own advice and...uninstall!
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Call yourself Geico Geko, then you might actually have copyright infringement. Or name your toon Al Rivera even those are fairly common names.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I have in-game friends who've been badnamed. 24 hour temp ban is standard procedure when you get it.Actually, he's usually known as "CaptainGeko".Gecko is actually a dictionary word. Geko isn't.it's "gecko" in Englisch.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the name changes...in the Atari days he was known as CaptainGeko on the forums,at least while he still had the guts to show his mug on the forums....now with PWE it's CrypticGeko....but like I said,still a bit fuzzy with all the name changes after the Empire took over.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    v1ctor1st wrote: »
    I don't see what the fuss is about, Geko himself has been pretending to be an actual Dev for cryptic for a long time now.

This would be funny if it wasn't true :D

• Options
    mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Could we please get a complete list of the names, @handles and character names of the devs so that we can avoid falling into the same trap as the player mentioned in the OP?

EDIT: This reminds me of the incident where people got auto-banned for using certain words in the in-game chat.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    mancom wrote: »
    Could we please get a complete list of the names, @handles and character names of the devs so that we can avoid falling into the same trap as the player mentioned in the OP?

you dont get banned for using the name. either this is complete trolling to add more gas to the fire on bashing Cryptic or something else happened and he is not telling us the truth.

if there are problems regarding names, you get a message in game or in your Email about that.

People get banned for constantly trolling, flamming,... and not stopping doing that.
  • Options
    cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    mancom wrote: »

Devtracker on the main forum page
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It can very quickly be. Post in Zone chat, some guy reads the name "Geko" and thinks "whoa, STO Dev! And he's making Gorn Jokes! And says that PvP sucks and should be removed! Quickly send him a PM that I love PvP and he can't take it away from me! Oh no, he doesn't reply. I tell it to my fleet and we'll go active on the forums!"

Alright,you got me.....there are some really stupid people playing this game.

• Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Just said this in the cheater thread:

Consipracy theory: the game currently requires too many resources to maintain for too little proft, and they want to slowly kill it off and focus on more lucrative titles.

Man it sure sounds like that theory is becoming less and less ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.