Install Arc
Options

Cryptic bans accounts impersonating Devs for 24 hours

Comments

• Options
    bwemobwemo Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    Justin Bieber Trademark and IPO details.....

Please, do try some research and fact checking before posting drivel. Names can be TM and registered under Intellectual Property Rights.

Someone using "Geko" can be mistaken in game by those who do not know, to be "Al Rivera - CaptainGeko"

Why someone who knows better (the fact the OP is here whining shows they know better) would pull this is purly for their own amusement and to give them a reason to bash Cryptic.

[Edit : Forgot the main IPO results window for international registrations ]

This is a trademark for any product carrying the brand name Justin Bieber....not a trademark for the name itself.
  • Options
    deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    varekraith wrote: »
    Sorry, but this is just stupid.
    Most games will do this if you name a character after a Dev. You know, so people don't impersonate them?
    Ban justified.
    :P

most games won't, try again.

they will if you attempt to impersonate said dev/gm though...other than that most don't care. or they'll have pre existing blocks when ever that name is attempted to be used, they can't even create a character to get in game to be banned or whatever.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sorry, but this is just stupid.
    Most games will do this if you name a character after a Dev. You know, so people don't impersonate them?
    Ban justified.
    :P

Not really most games simply don't ALLOW you to name your toon things they don't approve to begin with.

Ban someone cause there to lazy to write a piece of code that doesn't allow it.

Geko is also NOT his handle ... its Captain Geko.... So I hope everyone with Captain in there name is getting bad named right now. ;) lol

If Geko thinks his name deserved TM protection in the game ... perhaps he should have picked a more unique handle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    varekraithvarekraith Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    most games won't, try again.

they will if you attempt to impersonate said dev/gm though...other than that most don't care.

Riiiggghtttt.
    Ok. I'll try this in Eve. *Not really, I know what happens to fools who do that in Eve.)
    Or WoW.
    Or SWToR.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Honestly, people, I'll fight for injustice. Like, I dunno, ppl getting robbed of Spec points. But purposely provoking a ban by doing something the ToS clearly forbids?! Sigh.

See, trollish threads like this detract from people having legitimate grievances with Cryptic/PWE. And I've detected a lot of genuine issues of late.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    omgrandalthoromgrandalthor Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Maybe Geko is considered a bad word these days in sto?!!!...
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    no it does NOT. go look up the law on it k? then get back to me.

prince is not, prince charles, prince albert...get it? madonna tried and failed. you can't trademark a persons name. tj hooker can be anyones name and there isn't squat the studio can do about it.

just like those gents named ronald mcdonald.

"Prince" is a title. Prince is an artist.

And no, if you try to create a character named TJ Hooker without it being an obvious parody you WILL get sued. If you create a character called James T Kirk and it isn't a parody, you will get sued.

Why is this so difficult to comprehend?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    It's 'English' in English. :P Sorry, couldn't resist.
    It's Englisch in German. :P Yes, I know the other guy was Dutch. I'm not quite sure what it is in Dutch.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Riiiggghtttt.
    Ok. I'll try this in Eve. *Not really, I know what happens to fools who do that in Eve.)
    Or WoW.
    Or SWToR.

wow will have the named block so will tor dont know about eve
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Honestly, people, I'll fight for injustice. Like, I dunno, ppl getting robbed of Spec points. But purposely provoking a ban by doing something the ToS clearly forbids?! Sigh.

See, trollish threads like this detract from people having legitimate griefances with Cryptic/PWE. And that is that, as I've detected a lot of genuine issues of late.

Indeed.
    /10char
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    wow will have the named block so will tor dont know about eve

That's the best solution... however, since no one knows what name a dev will choose, they should do their research to see if there are any characters with that or a similar name prior to choosing. If the Dev came first, then block that name so characters can't choose it.

Common sense really
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It's Englisch in German. :P Yes, I know the other guy was Dutch. I'm not quite sure what it is in Dutch.

It's 'Engels' in Dutch. :) (En ik kan het weten, want ik ben zelf Nederlands.)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Riiiggghtttt.
    Or WoW.
    Or SWToR.

such a limited selection of mmo's...and you somehow think you know all of them from those few? and you claimed 'most games' lol. i've played close to a hundred different mmo's no ne cares until you start trying to act like a gm or dev or some other person in the company with power.

if the name isn't blocked at the character start screen to begin with.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Fine.
    Name yourselves after Devs.
    Get banned.
    Just don't complain that some great injustice was done to you.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    That's the best solution... however, since no one knows what name a dev will choose, they should do their research to see if there are any characters with that or a similar name prior to choosing. If the Dev came first, then block that name so characters can't choose it.

Common sense really

after the whole exploit thing not sure cryptic knows how to run a mmo just saying i mean wow sure know how to block in game hero name cryptic cant do the same with Dev name is it that hard of code ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    "Prince" is a title. Prince is an artist.

And no, if you try to create a character named TJ Hooker without it being an obvious parody you WILL get sued. If you create a character called James T Kirk and it isn't a parody, you will get sued.

Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

lol, no i won't. i've seen a few tj hookers (usually trolls that liked the name) no one cared. in game character is an avatar. it has no existence, can make no money or cost the studio any money...and they would look like dicks trying to sue some gamer.

but to the actual point i made which you ignored. a PERSONS name. now, if i was named tj hooker, and wanted to name my character the same...not squat they could do. they could TRY, as they've tried before and failed...but nada, nothing, zero, silch they can do.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    such a limited selection of mmo's...and you somehow think you know all of them from those few? and you claimed 'most games' lol. i've played close to a hundred different mmo's no ne cares until you start trying to act like a gm or dev or some other person in the company with power.

if the name isn't blocked at the character start screen to begin with.

Of all the legitimate problems in this game you fall on your sword over this?
    Why is naming yourself after a Dev so critical to you?
    Can't possibly be to impersonate them.
    No sirree.
    :D
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's 'Engels' in Dutch. :) (En ik kan het weten, want ik ben zelf Nederlands.)
    Ah, I see. I'll try to remember that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2014

See, trollish threads like this detract from people having legitimate grievances with Cryptic/PWE. And I've detected a lot of genuine issues of late.

This is why, when I come to the STO forums now - I make the assumption every thread is morons and troll bait.

I've long since stopped coming here for help / advice / guidance.

This is the last place Cryptic will look for any real feedback on the game now, as these muppets drove listening ears away a long time ago.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Fine.
    Name yourselves after Devs.
    Get banned.
    Just don't complain that some great injustice was done to you.
    :rolleyes:

If the toon creator allows it then there is no way you deserve a ban.

The fact that STO will allow you to use anything you like including actual offensive names is a joke.

Really how many hours of GM time have been wasted the last 4 years bad naming people with actual offensive names....

All because someone isn't smart enough to notice that EVERY other quality Online game made the last 15 years or so simply block such things from ever being added to a Toon name from the start.

This is the ONLY major mmo I have ever played where you can sit in a social zone and count the number of "BadName" toons that run by in an hour. When someone named Badname84321334 runs buy you have to know its shoddy coding at work.

Honestly how has one of there GMs not at some point said "HEY can you please add a proper bad string check to the stupid name creator already" I guess none of them have ever worked anywhere as a GM prior to Cryptic... must get them right out of high school.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Honestly how has one of there GMs not at some point said "HEY can you please add a proper bad string check to the stupid name creator already"

Same reason they could never find the 10 minutes to fix the 'No valid thread found' error when you just edited a post: they simply don't care.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Of all the legitimate problems in this game you fall on your sword over this?
    Why is naming yourself after a Dev so critical to you?
    Can't possibly be to impersonate them.
    No sirree.
    :D

honestly don't really care all that much...easy topic to catch white knights in which i enjoy feasting on.

the issues with the game i'e already posted about...and it's not like cryptic cares about what players say...they will only care when players actually do something. me impersonate? as if. the only person i've seen from cryptic with a decent moniker is tacofangs.

geko just seems like a misspelled gecko
    pwlaughingtrendy is too freaking long and weird (what is he laughing about anyway?)
    and the rest are pretty esoteric and completely unappealing.

i have my own nicks, don't need any others.
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lol, no i won't. i've seen a few tj hookers (usually trolls that liked the name) no one cared. in game character is an avatar. it has no existence, can make no money or cost the studio any money...and they would look like dicks trying to sue some gamer.

but to the actual point i made which you ignored. a PERSONS name. now, if i was named tj hooker, and wanted to name my character the same...not squat they could do. they could TRY, as they've tried before and failed...but nada, nothing, zero, silch they can do.

Wow, just wow! Talk about staunch literal, I didnt realise there was a TJ Hooker MMO on the market, are you really that.. actually no, dont worry, I think I know the answer.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    honestly don't really care all that much...easy topic to catch white knights in which i enjoy feasting on.

the issues with the game i'e already posted about...and it's not like cryptic cares about what players say...they will only care when players actually do something. me impersonate? as if. the only person i've seen from cryptic with a decent moniker is tacofangs.

geko just seems like a misspelled gecko
    pwlaughingtrendy is too freaking long and weird (what is he laughing about anyway?)
    and the rest are pretty esoteric and completely unappealing.

i have my own nicks, don't need any others.

You think I'm a white knight for Cryptic?
    LOL.
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    This is why, when I come to the STO forums now - I make the assumption every thread is morons and troll bait.

I've long since stopped coming here for help / advice / guidance.

This is the last place Cryptic will look for any real feedback on the game now, as these muppets drove listening ears away a long time ago.

As if the forums were any better from 2010 to 2012. I remember first coming on to these forums and being quite intimidated because I knew the vets would instantly ridicule me and laugh at any suggestions I would make (which is exactly what they did) Most of those people are gone now and good riddance. I will agree that General discussion has always been bad but sto and other forum subsections are generally more noob friendly imo, especially with the creation of the public service and NOP channels.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    qziqza wrote: »
    Wow, just wow! Talk about staunch literal, I didnt realise there was a TJ Hooker MMO on the market, are you really that.. actually no, dont worry, I think I know the answer.

did i say there was a tj hooker mmo? no, i didn't. so puzzled by your self inflicted confusion by not reading what i posted properly...why don't you go back and reread slower this time...sound out the words, that might help you comprehend.
    You think I'm a white knight for Cryptic?
    LOL.

:p i meant in the general sense, not you specifically. they're easy to spot though, they always defend cryptics decisions no matter what they are...until of course one of those decisions adversely effects them. then they tend to just leave...lose to much face to suddenly turn around and complain after spending months or years standing up for a company.

they just slink away...then talk about how bad sto is in other games:rolleyes:
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    As if the forums were any better from 2010 to 2012. I remember first coming on to these forums and being quite intimidated because I knew the vets would instantly ridicule me and laugh at any suggestions I would make. Most of those people are gone now and good riddance.

Oh these forums got off to a really bad start.

Klingon players who had to play a fed to level 6 because there was no tutorial for them, then only PvP or about 5 PvE missions to play. (My first Klingon went from 6 - 46 just in PvP).

So that group was miserable on here right from the get go. (I was too busy to care, got my B'rel I was happy).

Then those who were expecting features from Perpetual as they'd seen the concept art (and of course, no game exists from then) - so that group was ticked off.

Then people found Cryptic and Atari stepped in last minute and rushed this out so fast breaking all most every release promise.

So yeah, not a good start for the game forums and it never got better really. But at least people would help you with some information, now all you get is "use the search tool" (which can be lackluster at times).
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    did i say there was a tj hooker mmo? no, i didn't. so puzzled by your self inflicted confusion by not reading what i posted properly...why don't you go back and reread slower this time...sound out the words, that might help you comprehend.

:p i meant in the general sense, not you specifically. they're easy to spot though, they always defend cryptics decisions no matter what they are...until of course one of those decisions adversely effects them. then they tend to just leave...lose to much face to suddenly turn around and complain after spending months or years standing up for a company.

they just slink away...then talk about how bad sto is in other games:rolleyes:

Ah, that's cool.
    Cause that would've been grounds for fisticuffs!
  • Options
    cheesebasketcheesebasket Member Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Inb4lock..
    The hamster will RULE ALLL....

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There is enough things wrong with the game you can take Cryptic to task for. Legitimate, signifigant things that affect every player in meaningful ways. Flaws and errors that span the entire length and breadth of the game. Flaws that have not been commented on. Flaws that have no signs of being altered to provide a better gameplay experience.

There have been plenty of bad decisions made at Cryptic, as they are all human. Like any company, they are capable of doing the wrong thing, and should most definitely be given feedback (typically in a constructive format) as what specific facets of the game require addressment.

Facets of the game which have had developer support and attention, and some facets which do not. The desire to call attention to those facets and insisting on action being taken by Cryptic and being taken seriously by the company is extremely important and affects all of us. From the casual, to the die-hard, from the roleplayers to the DPS enthusiasts.

Being a jerk and naming yourself Geko in blatant defiance of the ToS is not one of these things. Regardless of how trivial it appears.

If anything, it gives Cryptic more reason to roll their eyes at what can only be described as a large demographic of infantile players.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.