test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crashes in Combat

phantomvectorphantomvector Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited November 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I don't have the error report, but ill get one once I figure out how.

But as the title suggests I've crashed everytime I've gone into combat, which obviously makes STFs, and missions unplayable. For the moment it seems I am one of only a select few with this problem. Any suggestions on what to do to try and fix it?
Post edited by phantomvector on

Comments

• omegafirebladeomegafireblade Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't have the error report, but ill get one once I figure out how.

But as the title suggests I've crashed everytime I've gone into combat, which obviously makes STFs, and missions unplayable. For the moment it seems I am one of only a select few with this problem. Any suggestions on what to do to try and fix it?

I have exactly the same issue. I have run dozens of tests and all of them have resulted in the same crash. Previously I had played STO for many months without issues, but recently with one of the patches (possibly in the last month) this issue began where I would crash whenever entering combat, at random intervals.

After the issue began I decided to check my graphics drivers, I updated them, and the crash continued.

I have tried the following since that time:
    Running the game with all the graphic options turned off/minimum
    Uninstalling he game from the Steam Client, and re-downloading the game
    Deleting the game and its folders, then installing Arc, and the game from their launcher, running it on default settings
    Running the STO launcher as an admin
    Running the STO launcher in compatibility mode
    Running the game with display graphics set to DX11, DX9, and Auto
    Running the game with the audio muted

I have deleted and re-downloaded this game a total of three times (under different circumstances), I should hope I can find a solution as STO is one of my favorite games.

Oh and by the way, Neverwinter seems to use the same graphics options, and what do you know? I have exactly the same issue with that game. I have uninstalled Neverwinter hoping that might do something, but as I expected it had no effect.
    edited October 2014
    I just tried modifying a file at the suggestion of a friend:

\Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata\gameprefs.pref

Changing
    PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isDx11Enabled 1
    to
    PrefEntry SystemSpecs.isDx11Enabled 0

This... did not work. Also, I tried compatibility mode for Windows 7, Vista, and XP SP3
    And for anyone wondering, yes I have restarted my computer... multiple times after a graphic driver update and after modifications to graphics settings on my computer.
  • captainkaos1captainkaos1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am experiencing the same problem as well this has only started to happen since the Delta rising patch
  • qwertypwnedqwertypwned Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As am I, i believe it started during delta rising, but i may be wrong.

Any help, Cryptic?
  • revanpikerevanpike Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've got the same problem. Mostly in Borg Disconnected, the game/client keeps crashing. During charchanges I've got the same problem.
  • crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2014
    Is anyone getting the Cryptic Error Tracker? If so, please provide the Error Tracker number. Thanks.
    STO QA Team
  • sthraxpwesthraxpwe Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'll try to get the Error Tracker # the next time it happens to me.

I have noticed this about when it is happening to me:

-It almost always occurs when there is a bunch of combat spam going on, ie. tons of hanger pets attacking, a lot of FAW

-It is more likely to occur if I'm boosting into the fray with Evasive Manuevers or Full Impulse

-It is almost guaranteed to happen in Borg Disconnected, and it happened in one of the new combat patrols against the Kazon.

-When the game is first loading, a message at the bottom window says there is a Pixal Shader Error (some type of compiling issue IIRC).
    edited October 2014
    Error Ticket ID: 35775697 Error PID 1592

This error happens whenever I reach a certain level of graphical stress, it can happen anywhere during combat really. Mostly during testing I've had my friends challenge me to a space fight, but this crash will occur in missions and PVE.

Any help is appreciated, I just want to play my beloved STO :(
    edited October 2014
    I am only getting the crashes during ship combats nothing else this is the error ticket number of my latest crash (34891372)
  • phantomvectorphantomvector Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It doesn't even get to the Crash Tracker, it just stops working.

Edit:Well finally I have one, (34891372)
    edited October 2014
    It doesn't even get to the Crash Tracker, it just stops working.

Edit:Well finally I have one, (34891372)
    Same code as i got.
  • docfrederdocfreder Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Error ID 34909544 ; 34891372 second one is the one that pops up all the time now.

Refrence number from support; 141014-001656

And my post on the subject

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1257321
  • olie87olie87 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am experiencing the exact same issue.

Details:

1. STO functioned perfectly fine before the DR release, even up to just hours prior.

2. I only crash when doing closed map combat such as PvE's (i.e. STF's, Disconnected, and CCE).

3. This crash does not occur while I am doing open-world activities such as in Dyson Sphere (neither ground nor space has caused me to crash).

4. I have attempted all of the fixes that each previous poster to this thread has also attempted, to no avail.

5. Changing my DX version via the Display settings for my GPU changes how the game crashes; it still crashes under the same circumstances, just differently.

6. I have submitted multiple tickets via the game on this issue, but when I go to check My Tickets, there is no history. Unfortunately, this leads me to believe that Tech Support merely deletes them with no response. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging on the Devs, but they know they have a bad reputation for tech support and they don't seem to be doing much to change that image; this certainly isn't helping.

7. My fleet members who are running Nvidia cards are not experiencing this issue. I am the only one in my fleet with this problem.

8. I have submitted numerous crash reports, but again, no replies or responses. Sometimes the crash reporter itself crashes before I can finish typing the bug and hitting Submit.

I have done multiple searches and reading on this issue across the STO forums and other online sources. This one is the most accurate and relevant thread for my issue, almost to the letter, but I see absolutely NO RESPONSES from tech support/devs.

Please, if anybody (especially Cryptic Support!) has any solutions, or can validate that this issue is being addressed and a solution is in the works, post it here so that those of us who want to continue playing (and paying for) STO know that we are not being ignored.

Thank you.

PAUL H. OLIVER
    RAUH, TAC, AG
    Adjutant General
    The Jade Empire
    PAUL H. OLIVER
    ADM, TAC, AG
    Adjutant General
    The Jade Empire
  • phantomvectorphantomvector Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm curious if anyone is still having problems with STO? I've updated my drivers, tried to fix the install and checked for missing files. Short of just reinstalling, or playing with the game files there isn't much more I can think of to do.

I don't crash immediately like I used to, but it still crashes in STFs.
    edited October 2014
    I am indeed still having the problem with crashes during PvE. It is exceptionally frustrating because nobody seems to know exactly what is causing the problem, nor does Cryptic seem to give a frak that so many people are becoming jaded by their lack of support. I am still proactively searching for a solution. If I discover one, I will be certain to post it here for everybody to see.
    PAUL H. OLIVER
    ADM, TAC, AG
    Adjutant General
    The Jade Empire
    edited October 2014
    I'm still crashing in any form of combat, whether it is space or ground combat, or STFs or regular missions. I would also like to report crashing in my Fleet Spire, after activating the occulary (am i saying that right?). Outside of combat, all seems to be well. Before Delta Rising, I could handle twenty person fleet actions with only minimal lag; This crashing is not because of my computer.
    I'm running an AMD a10 at 4.0ghz backed by 8gb of RAM, and a Radeon 6670.
    Please help us, Cryptic! I just wanna play through Delta Rising without crashing!
  • jameswilliejameswillie Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm crashing every time I play a space combat PvE. It never happened before DR was released, now happens in at least one PvE that I play an evening. Now adding insult to injury, when I crashed last nite I got back into the PvE, the team didnt complete the objective of course being one ship down and we lost, but to make it worse I was subject to a 2 hour sit in the corner penalty and couldnt enter any PvE for sumthing that I had no control over. I know its not my computer due to the fact others are haveing similiar issues and it never h appened until DR was released. Cryptic striping the fun away day by day.
  • thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My game crashes constantly. I can't enter the Sol System or ESD without the game crashing. It does it every single time. I'll enter Sol and it crashes. Once I reload the game I spawn in the Sol system but when I click to dock with ESD, it crashed again.

Error Ticket ID: 14299093

Error Ticket ID: 30567017

Error Ticket ID: 32753991

Error Ticket ID: 30670736
    edited October 2014
    Just an update, I've updated my graphics driver again (because of a new update) - no change, I still crash :D
  • wonderdog1wonderdog1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    OK...so on the weird twisted meter this scores pretty high.
    I was crashing every time I went into combat when the graphics seem to get intense,
    The game would crash every time in any instance STF or mission once combat began and close to desktop
    I stopped STO from crashing and its working normally.
    I had tried so far swapping video cards no effect
    reinstalling STO under ARC and STEAM no effect
    directx diagnostics no effect
    I even considered upgrading to windows 8 (god forbid)
    after all was said and done it was my Plantronics USB headset doing it
    Unplugged it and no crashing ....Plugged it back in and started crashing again. switched to backup headset no problems (ran several patrol missions):D

I don't know why but it worked for me
    edited October 2014
    For those of you following this link, below is a link to the patch notes that are scheduled for this week (the week of 27-31 OCT 2014). Not sure if this will be a fix, but there appear to be a couple of graphics tweaks coming as implied under the "General" section:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=20180531&postcount=1

If this appears to fix the problem after the patch, I will be sure to post back here. If not, I will most certainly post here to voice my continued frustration.
    PAUL H. OLIVER
    ADM, TAC, AG
    Adjutant General
    The Jade Empire
    edited October 2014
    Thank you so much, Wonderdog1!
    It was indeed my USB headphones that was causing the problem.
    Thanks Crpytic, didn't know you hate USB headphones so much...
  • docfrederdocfreder Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    OMG I have to try that I would have never though but I don't have playtronics I've got afterglow I so hope this works

It fixed the issue I can now play without crashing just did a story mission and daily borg battle.
  • alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have random crashes everywhere (even during dilithium minigame). Before DR all was ok.
    edited October 2014
    docfreder wrote: »
    OMG I have to try that I would have never though but I don't have playtronics I've got afterglow I so hope this works

I have afterglows, as well. I believe that it is USB headsets in general that cause this issue. With the afterglows, you dont have to unplug them entirely; go to play back devices and set speakers as default and run the afterglows through there.
    edited November 2014
    The patch released this week that was supposed to solve the shader crash problem does not seem to have fixed the problem.
    PAUL H. OLIVER
    ADM, TAC, AG
    Adjutant General
    The Jade Empire
    edited November 2014
    It is indeed the USB headphones. I run SkullCandy wireless USB headset. I unplugged it and had absolutely no issues.
    PAUL H. OLIVER
    ADM, TAC, AG
    Adjutant General
    The Jade Empire
    edited November 2014
    docfreder wrote: »

I have afterglows, as well. I believe that it is USB headsets in general that cause this issue. With the afterglows, you dont have to unplug them entirely; go to play back devices and set speakers as default and run the afterglows through there.

This is the solution. Thank you friend. Simply run your headset as speakers instead of headphones and it will stop trying to run your combined sound through your graphics processor and will run it through your audio processor instead. Thank you very much.

U.S.S. Theseus, OUT.
    PAUL H. OLIVER
    ADM, TAC, AG
    Adjutant General
    The Jade Empire
  • cwnannwncwnannwn Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Is anyone getting the Cryptic Error Tracker? If so, please provide the Error Tracker number. Thanks.

I get the error tracker sporadically, the one error code that I kept getting was 345???? I don't remember the rest of the numbers and the slip I had it written on has vanished. I never had any issues with the game crashing during combat in LOR. I've updated everything I can update and restarted the computer after every update. Sometimes I don't even get the error tracker or the game client crashes and I have to force verify the files the next time I start the launcher. I have even tried to start the game without using Arc and I get the same results.

I have also filled out the error tracker everytime it pops up. Is there going to be a fix sometime in the near future or will we all be stuck doing DOFF missions for the foreseeable future. (That seems to be the only thing the game will let me do without crashing) Also, it's not only in the new content but it has also happened to some of my low level characters that aren't doing DR content yet.

Well after unplugging my USB Afterglow headset and plugging in my headset the has both usb and analog plugs the game didn't crash and I got thru the initial mission. I don't remember who posted about the USB headsets but THANK YOU!!!!!

Still annoying that I can't use my Afterglow USB headset.
  • commanderkhancommanderkhan Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The game crashes on me if I check out the Tier 6 ships in space dock. I just got to level 56 and was at the end of that mission when it crashed. I have tried multiple times and every time I lock on to the boss with my weapon, BOOM! The game crashes. Real neat! I guess the ol' skip button will be used but it sure would be nice to be able to finish it so I can see the story unfold and get the points and prizes for completing it.