What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

EP speaks on this week’s exploit

Comments

• Options
    coraleccoralec Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I think their assessment is in error if it includes XP resulting simply from playing non-Tau Dewa content on Elite without the level scaling trick.

See: the guy who spent 19 hours killing mobs on Kobali Prime and only got up to something like 60 +2. That's not an exploit and I challenge anyone, developer or not, who defines that as one... because it involved no tricks.

Killing npc's at Japori, Beta Thoridor, or Argala on elite involves no tricks either.
  • Options
    warhound27warhound27 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    yea i lost a point or two but i have all ready got them back and i think the gm's did the right thing
  • Options
    kenthendkenthend Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    john98837 wrote: »
    You have already lost quite a few players over this BS, some of your best, keep it up and you'll loose even more.

No offense to anyone but if you mean lost some of the best because they used an 'exploit' as defined by the devs then I say good riddance to them. In my humble opinion I would consider some of the best as being the ones that follow not only the letter of the rules but the spirit in which they were intended. Those that made 50 spec points in such a short time were not following the spirit of any good gameplay that I know. I do appreciate that the devs took the time to keep us informed as to what's going on, although maybe not at the speed at which people wanted them to.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If I bought XP boosts and if I had XP removed, I would be doing that right now.

That is your perogative. It's not my place to say it's a good or bad decision, it is your money and your standing with PWE.
    I told you earlier they have european office. wich means they can be punished for not respecting european law. what a punishment could look like depends on the case

There would never be a case. It would be handled by financial institutions in a civil matter.
    it can be a refund of 10 euro, or the close down of their office or blocking their services.

That's up to the country in question. And whether or not PWE chooses to play ball. But the EULA states that the only laws that matter to STO are the ones where the physical hardware is based. They wouldn't be forced to do anything. If they have business in your country, then your country has agreed that you are subject to Cryptic's EULA. Your country has already agreed that the legal status of STO remains American and under the laws of the state of California.

Otherwise you would not be playing right now.
    but than you come with your server theory wich is so absurd it nearly made me speechless. but that "you are a foreign guest on a server" is kinda cute. maybe thats how you understand business - like traveling to hawaii lol

I'm sure you have reality-based evidence and facts that my perspective of international law in regards to internet services and the physical location of the hardware said services are located in is in error.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    kenthend wrote: »
    No offense to anyone but if you mean lost some of the best because they used an 'exploit' as defined by the devs then I say good riddance to them. In my humble opinion I would consider some of the best as being the ones that follow not only the letter of the rules but the spirit in which they were intended. Those that made 50 spec points in such a short time were not following the spirit of any good gameplay that I know. I do appreciate that the devs took the time to keep us informed as to what's going on, although maybe not at the speed at which people wanted them to.

mother****** would someone please explain to me how killing cryptic made npc's in a cryptic made map on a cryptic made elite team system is an exploit. How would anyone have known it was not "working as intended" (btw i still don't see how the xp gain was bugged). And no, JUST BECAUSE THE DEVS SAY IT IS AN EXPLOIT DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE.
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sadly I have tickets in game that have not had a response to for over year beyond the auto response. The ticket system is antiquated and seemingly FUBAR.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    coralec wrote: »
    JUST BECAUSE THE DEVS SAY IT IS AN EXPLOIT DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE.

This is an incorrect statement.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    dichtbringerdichtbringer Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Dear Executive Producer,
    I am sorry, but this is complete and utter bull****.
    First of all, if your metrics were working correctly, I would have lost points. I leveled an entire character almost to full using only Tau Dewa Patrols, yet I did not lose a single point. Admittedly, I also leveled a second char using your story missions, doing queues and doffing, yet still, if anyone qualifies for exploiting, it is me and I did not get punished at all.
    Furthermore, there has been a vast number of reports, some of which I know for certain to be true that lost points even though they never have ever been in Japori during the last week. Some people were leveling in Argala, a new Delta Quadrant System that was not scaling-bugged and still supplied ample XP, given you were able to kill enemies within a reasonable timeframe (ie: don't be a baddie)
    There was even a Level 51 player who reported he lost his single spec point.
    To further elaborate on how shockingly inept you are at your job: The Tau Dewa patrol leveling potential was both USED AND REPORTED on Tribble, yet you did NOTHING, in fact, everyone who encountered this on Tribble and reported it must have been utterly convinced that it was intended to work this way, since you didn't change it, despite it being reported repeadetly.
    Additionally, in no way did you address the current XP situation. You state in your recent patch notes that XP gain would be increased from a 1.75 modifier to 2.00, so a 12,5% increase, wherin reality you cut XP gain across the board by 70%.
    You are either extremely incompetent or deliberatly lying to the playerbase. Choose one.
    Oh, and one more thing: "Our communication on this matter was apparently unclear". WELL NO **** SHERLOCK, you put up a sticky that was saying that TD was exploitable and you fixed it. THEN, 6 HOURS LATER YOU EDITED THE POST TO INCLUDE A SECTION THAT SAID THAT SOME PEOPLE WERE PUNISHED FOR IT, IN WHAT HAS TO BE THE MOST COWARDLY THING YOU HAVE EVER DONE IN YOUR LIFE. YOU AND EVERYONE WHO WAS PART OF THAT SHOULD FEEL UTTERLY ASHAMED.
    STO Voice Control Tutorial Video: WATCH
    ELITE STF SPEED RECORDS (time on optional remaining):
    S07: KASE: 12:54 | CSE: 13:20 | ISE: 12:38 All held personally, my POV
    LOR: KASE: 13:19 | CSE: 13:47 | ISE: 13:34 None held personally, other player's POV
    S08: coming soon
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    This is an incorrect statement.

I hope that's sarcasm. Exploits existed long before and will exist long after cryptic. Hence cryptic does not have the final say on what is and is not an exploit.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I hope that's sarcasm. Exploits existed long before and will exist long after cryptic. Hence cryptic does not have the final say on what is and is not an exploit.

They own the game and have final say on what is exploitive and non-exploitive behavior. You can disagree with their opinion on what is an exploitive behavior, but it is their game and their rules. If they say your phasers now fire chocolate ice cream in the game, then your phasers now fire chocolate ice cream in the game.

If someone owns a game, they dictate what is cheating and what is not. They decide punitive measures. They decide corrective actions.

Players do not get to dictate the rules of the game, and never did.

I can only imagine what various sports associations would be like if the fans were the referees.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    They own the game and have final say on what is exploitive and non-exploitive behavior. You can disagree with their opinion on what is an exploitive behavior, but it is their game and their rules.

If someone owns a game, they dictate what is cheating and what is not. They decide punitive measures. They decide corrective actions.

Players do not get to dictate the rules of the game, and never did.

Right, but it is still unjust and because of it people are leaving the game AND, contrary to what people are saying they are not evil lazy exploiters or cheaters but the people who supported cryptic and wanted to see them do well but were instead punished for playing the game and are now sick of DR and its lackluster content, massive leveling gaps, un-creative hp-bag enemies, and scarcer dilithium combined with massive dil sinks to suck money out of the player base. Cryptic is not better off without these people, this should concern the dev team and alert them to an alarming trend that the game is moving in the wrong direction and that communicating with the player-base is important.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Yes they do.

They coded the game. They know better than all of us what the intended behavior is because it's the behavior they intend. If something is not working as intended and you exploit it, it's an exploit.

This is not complex. This should not be difficult to understand. Yet, somehow, masses of you are failing to grasp this.

To think, I used to believe Star Trek fans were largely smarter than your average fandom.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Yes they do.

They coded the game. They know better than all of us what the intended behavior is because it's the behavior they intend. If something is not working as intended and you exploit it, it's an exploit.

This is not complex. This should not be difficult to understand. Yet, somehow, masses of you are failing to grasp this.

To think, I used to believe Star Trek fans were largely smarter than your average fandom.

agreed...they do have the final say
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Right, but it is still unjust and because of it people are leaving the game AND, contrary to what people are saying they are not evil lazy exploiters or cheaters but the people who supported cryptic and wanted to see them do well but were instead punished for playing the game and are now sick of DR and its lackluster content, massive leveling gaps, un-creative hp-bag enemies, and scarcer dilithium combined with massive dil sinks to suck money out of the player base. Cryptic is not better off without these people, this should concern the dev team and alert them to an alarming trend that the game is moving in the wrong direction and that communicating with the player-base is important.

These were (according to the EP), around 250 accounts, and 300 characters. These aren't the Spartans we're talking about. These are people who a presumably reasonable person (or in this case a group of people) would assume that they should know better than to believe that this was intentional game design.

300 characters is a drop of water in the ocean, when you are talking (again, according to the EP) a few hundred thousand characters in the game.

No, they should not be concerned with pissing those particular people off.

Yes, they should be concerned with providing a better product that prevents these incidents from ever happening to begin with.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Know my pain. Know it and feel it.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    These were (according to the EP), around 250 accounts, and 300 characters. These aren't the Spartans we're talking about. These are people who a presumably reasonable person (or in this case a group of people) would assume that they should know better than to believe that this was intentional game design.

300 characters is a drop of water in the ocean, when you are talking (again, according to the EP) a few hundred thousand characters in the game.

Yes, they should be concerned with providing a better product that prevents these incidents from ever happening to begin with.

But how should we have known it, I and many others have been leveling like this since launch?
  • Options
    xms9779xms9779 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    mother****** would someone please explain to me how killing cryptic made npc's in a cryptic made map on a cryptic made elite team system is an exploit. How would anyone have known it was not "working as intended" (btw i still don't see how the xp gain was bugged). And no, JUST BECAUSE THE DEVS SAY IT IS AN EXPLOIT DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE.

Actually, whatever the devs claim is an exploit, is an exploit. If the devs claim running an event on all of your toons to collect the reward multiple times is an exploit, then they will limit it to one toon and sit back and laugh at our anger. Look at what they did with EC. They trashed loot value because they believed it gave players an unfair advantage to be able to trash items and profit from it, so they drastically lowered loot value globally. All that did was make any player with a substantial treasury saved up even richer while players who were not as rich are SOL. Cryptic has NEVER been concerned about the unintended consequences of their actions when (over)reacting to what they perceive as exploits. Maybe when the player base has dipped into triple digit numbers, they'll start to change. But by that time it will be too late.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    But how should we have known it, I and many others have been leveling like this since launch.

You were not getting 17x the experience you normally would since launch. I've been here since launch, and if that would be me in your shoes I would, at the very least, consider the distinct possibility that maybe this is exploitive behavior and I should knock it off.

Pleading ignorance only works for so long. If you have really been here for as long as you say you have, I'm going to say you should have known better if you were one of the 300 characters given the harshest penalties.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You were not getting 17x the experience you normally would since launch. I've been here since launch, and if that would be me in your shoes I would, at the very least, consider the distinct possibility that maybe this is exploitive behavior and I should knock it off.

1. It was supposed to be 17x times faster, not XP ...
    2. Define normally ... was the old content 17x faster than zerging down Vaudwaar Battleships in the DQ ... certainly ... that's what it's all about ... that's why the only reasonale way to get XP after the nerf/fix, is DOFFING for god's sake ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    1. It was 17x times faster not XP
    2. Define normally ... was the old content 17x faster than zerging down Vaudwaar Battleships in the DQ ... certainly ...

You will never be able to convince me that power leveling like that 17 times faster (or 17 times the XP) was ever the average since February 2010, and I've seen a lot of different ways people have progressed in the game.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    xms9779 wrote: »
    Actually, whatever the devs claim is an exploit, is an exploit. If the devs claim running an event on all of your toons to collect the reward multiple times is an exploit, then they will limit it to one toon and sit back and laugh at our anger. Look at what they did with EC. They trashed loot value because they believed it gave players an unfair advantage to be able to trash items and profit from it, so they drastically lowered loot value globally. All that did was make any player with a substantial treasury saved up even richer while players who were not as rich are SOL. Cryptic has NEVER been concerned about the unintended consequences of their actions when (over)reacting to what they perceive as exploits. Maybe when the player base has dipped into triple digit numbers, they'll start to change. But by that time it will be too late.

Tell that to the people leaving. There was a number of ways for Cryptic to have handled this without causing a Forum Firestorm. But they never choose the more diplomatic and even creative means of dealing with an issue. They have to continuously shoot themselves in the foot and then have the audacity to blame it on the playerbase.

Tribble was an indication to the Devs that Tau Dewa was going to be the focal point of anyone seeking a place to go for XP. Weeks before the release. Yet they waited post launch to step in?

Sorry Im not buying it. And Im sure plenty of Cryptics loyal fans will continue to scream and yell that Cryptics word is final. But you know what is truely final? People closing their wallets and stepping away from this game.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Im willing to bet good money, if someone could run iq tests it would show that Star trek fans ARE smarter than the averge fandom.

Your error is the premise that logic trumps both emotion and ego, but this is true only in rare cases.

Science journals and university research departments would be very very different places if geniuses could check their ego and entitlement at the door. Carl Sagan would probably have been accepted into the national academy of sciences, not denied because he made the general public understand complex ideas and thus caused jealousy among the board. Also, we'd probably have a lot less crime.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It is still your fault Cryptic and quite frankly your explanation sucks.
    You were notified of this before it went live and you could have fixed it then but you didnt so you dropped the ball. Players should not be penalized and for everyone that quits in protests or wants to do ain game protest I'm with you 100%.

And before anyone accuses me on losing spec points I only have one spec point per character and thats because I am playing the new content slowly but now I see very little reason to continue because pretty soon playing the game will become a exploit d we wll get XP and spec points removed then as well.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Pleading ignorance only works for so long. If you have really been here for as long as you say you have, I'm going to say you should have known better if you were one of the 300 characters given the harshest penalties.

I can say from the few times I did Japori (I was grinding Argala mostly) 17x is a ridiculous hyperbole. Read the post again it gives the arbitrary number that players were earning 17x the xp than anywhere else, NOT that the npc's were giving 17x the xp there is a difference.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You will never be able to convince me that power leveling like that 17 times faster (or 17 times the XP) was ever the average since February 2010, and I've seen a lot of different ways people have progressed in the game.

17 times fast than what ? You're just repeating the DEV's ... do you actually play the game ?

Go play some Patrols in the DQ, and tell me that's supposed to be "normal", or ever was since February 2010 ... might be the "new normal", though ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Go play some Patrols in the DQ, and tell me that's supposed to be "normal", or ever was since February 2010 ... might be the "new normal", though ...

The DQ patrols were not bugged according to cryptic...your argument is invalid and ignorant.
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes they do.

I have been playing mmo's since well forever since they were invented really. I have seen these threads with the same arguments from people who got caught for what 20 years (as old as mmo's are really). Same arguments just a different game and a different name. It will never change there is no reasoning with people about it they dont want to be reasoned with.

Its done they will decide to play the game or not, but the game will live on and the majority who did not do this will appreciate them for having taken action. Either they will take the lesson with a grain of salt and move forward or they will be doomed to repeat their words on another forum in another game after getting caught again.

Its not hard to play in the boundaries of the game but some people always got to try to find the holes and cracks to see how far they can get. They also want to see how gullible others are when they claim innocence in most cases and for those that got convinced by a friend who "discovered this quick easy road to capping their xp etc" it would probably be a good idea to find better more trustworthy friends and to develop a bit more "street smarts" as they say.

Although I highly doubt many were actually that fooled in each case it was someone taking advantage of something they outlevelled and setting things to elite or something and farming massive xp per mob resulting in insane levelling speeds. I figure if your smart enough to login and play this game then your likely smart enough to know that what was happening probably was not normal or right. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I can say from the few times I did Japori (I was grinding Argala mostly) 17x is a ridiculous hyperbole. Read the post again it gives the arbitrary number that players were earning 17x the xp than anywhere else, NOT that the npc's were giving 17x the xp there is a difference.

This is semantics. When you're talking about an XP progression modifier by a factor of 17, whether it is XP earned or the time it took to earn it, you are looking at a very obvious flaw in game design that I would think a reasonable person would see as an exploit.

This was not your run-of-the-mill Tau Dewa patrol mission we're talking. We're talking about utilizing several game bugs that were easily reproducable and combine them to provide this unintentional rate of XP gain.
    17 times fast than what ? You're just repeating the DEV's ... do you actually play the game ?

I've played the DQ patrols recently, and I did not see them as particularly different than before.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited October 2014

I actually take offense at this, I had half of my specialization points removed for going to a system in the Delta Quadrant and leveling up there. Because there was no other logical place to go to at the time. I avoided Tau Dewa, because it looked suspicuious. How could I possibly know that the Delta Quadrant was a bad place to level up in, when it was provided as the official area of activity? After doing all the other content available mind you. I leveled up 10 + 6 solo, and thoroughly explored every available alternate activity path. The PvE queues were mostly buffed up and people quit them left and right, because they were made less rewarding, and too hard. There were nothing else to do! I found Argala to be agreeable solo, and when people started teaming there I joined them. How the frell are you supposed to know this stuff again? It is not like you pull up a stop watch and say: Oh, this was suspicious! I must leave at once and do something else. If there had been something else!
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It was obviously an exploit.

The players that maxed out their skill points in a day or two knew they were exploiting.

Those players got what they deserved. If they leave over it.. even better.

The solution makes sense and was fair. On behalf of those of us that didn't exploit this bug, thanks for taking action.

Those who are pissed.. deal with it or quit, it's your choice. Whatever gets you to shut up about it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
This discussion has been closed.