test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

EP speaks on this week’s exploit

stephendangelostephendangelo Member Posts: 3 Arc User
The development team became aware of a potential leveling exploit on Wednesday morning this week. After initial investigations, we decided to shut down access to the maps that were being used for this power-leveling to perform a deeper investigation.

The investigation uncovered several different bugs in the game that were combining to allow players to level at approximately 17x the rate that players were leveling anywhere else in the game. This was definitely not intended behavior. Fixes for the various bugs went live with the update on Thursday morning, and we opened up the blocked maps.

During the investigation, we pulled data on every player’s behavior, and then we zeroed in on the players who were gaining levels at unreasonable rates. All of these players were on the maps under investigation. We found that quite a few players dabbled in these maps, but it was really a very small number of players who decided to take advantage of the bugs in excess. In fact, in the end there were around 300 characters (spanning around 250 accounts) that crossed the line from being efficient into taking significant advantage of the bugs. 300 is a very small number from the hundreds of thousands of characters playing.

This raises the question of what an exploit is. I’ll loosely define an exploit is any unintended behavior in the game that a player can use to gain significant advantage over others. How does a player know something is unintended? That is definitely open to interpretation and was a huge focus of the discussion in the dev team. In this case, we feel that the difference in leveling speed between playing other content in the game and playing the content that was singled out this week was so large that it is reasonable for players to think “this is too good to be something the dev team intended to happen”. We find exploits regularly, but it is uncommon to find one that was used to achieve enough of an advantage to require taking action.

Once deciding that there was an exploit, the question is whether action is required or not, which means looking at who dabbled and who took advantage? This was done with an intensive data analysis. In the end, we decided that the vast majority of players were being fairly reasonable in their use of the maps to level, but there was a space in the data between players who gained up to 10 specialization points using the exploit, and those who gained more than 10 specialization points. I decided to make this the cut-off line and anyone who got more than 10 points on those maps had the excess points removed from their characters. For example, a character earning 15 points, 12 of which were on the exploitable maps, would lose 2 specialization points, and a character earning 60 points all of which were on exploitable maps would lose 50 points.

I have looked into the claim that some players were not using the exploit maps, but so far every claim I have come across has not held up under data pulls. If anyone still thinks they lost specialization points when they should not have should please file a CS ticket. CS tickets get a tracking number that can ensure we take care of everyone with a concern.

I’m certain that at least some of the players feel they were acting in the right. That errors the dev team makes should be fair game. There are likely some others who feel that I drew the line in the wrong place, either too high or too low. It is challenging to walk the line between protecting the player base that wants the game to be fair, and allowing players to be efficient and “game the game”. In this case, a judgment was made and the line was drawn in order to protect the integrity of the game for the hundreds of thousands of players who did not and cannot do this going forward. Reviewing the data further, I still feel it was a good place to draw it.

Our communication on this issue was apparently unclear. I’ll finish up this afternoon by apologizing for not being more clear about what happened. We normally do not post about actions taken to correct exploits, and I did not expect this correction to require more than a simple post. I was mistaken and I hope this clarifies what happened for those that want a more complete story.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Stephen D’Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Post edited by stephendangelo on

Comments

• Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sounds like a fair solution... Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The line must be drawn here, this far no further

Sorry could not help it :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    abfabfleetabfabfleet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Now hopefully those that are raging and flaming can finally shut up and get back to playing. You got your answer now be patient.
  • Options
    strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, that appears to answer a few things.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You have already lost quite a few players over this BS, some of your best, keep it up and you'll loose even more.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, thanks for the clarification.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's nice to have you clarify the position you chose. I understand it and hope others will respond maturely to you.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    The line must be drawn here, this far no further

Sorry could not help it :D

Don't forget though, he broke his little ship. ;)
  • Options
    satchmo84satchmo84 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Exactly how and where do we file these tickets? I want to be sure I do it right to get my spec points returned to me. I was in Japori only briefly before I determined it wasn't rewarding as much as it should have and stuck to Argala for all of my significant levlling.
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    "We find exploits regularly, but it is uncommon to find one that was used to achieve enough of an advantage to require taking action."

Sooooooo what about all the dill-foundry exploits? Never cared to talk about those haven't you? And those ones were abused widely.........

p.s. I haven't even set as little as a nacelle into Tau Dewa since ages....
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    john98837 wrote: »
    You have already lost quite a few players over this BS, some of your best, keep it up and you'll loose even more.

No one cares if cheaters quit.
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    "We find exploits regularly, but it is uncommon to find one that was used to achieve enough of an advantage to require taking action."

Guess the massive dill-foundry exploits weren't worth mentioning then..................?!
  • Options
    grimlyonegrimlyone Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There's still no definition of which maps were exploitable.
    Were're talking Only Tau Dewa patrols? Or all patrols?

Details, we copious details about the subject. Which maps are considered exploitable.

I seriously think the dev team needs to pay more attention to reality in which players are. Of course people will want to level fast.
    The question is which players will want to do that... The ones that are willing to spend hundreds of hours doing the grind, to get to the max level?
    These are people that, most certainly, were the most loyal and most devoted of the fans. The min-maxers, the people that want and will work to be the best.

The situation was still handled poorly and I still don't agree with the decision of rolling back the points, because of bug caused by developers incompetence. ( personally, I wasn't affected, the question over here is - what is right, and what is not. If the word "exploit" can be slapped freely on everything, it's the most insecure and unstable element )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The beast at Tanagra.
    Kadir beneath Mo Moteh. Kiteo, his eyes closed. Chenza at court, the court of silence. Darmok on the ocean.
    Shaka, when the walls fell.
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    reximuz wrote: »
    No one cares if cheaters quit.

You actually believe the people leaving are cheaters?

If you had read the OP. Cryptic had identified and gone after the 250 or so Players that according to them cheated. The rest that are leaving? Not cheaters.

Now sit down and let the adults talk.
  • Options
    generalklanggeneralklang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    In my long history of online gaming, this is the second time I've seen a post that pleasantly surprised me in this way.

Communication is essential with online games..between players, between developers, and between those two groups. Chaos ensues when those lines of communication fail.
  • Options
    xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ok,

So you say 300 chars (250 accounts) were exploiting to a serious extent. Why then does it look like far more than that have had spec points pulled (ie. they were exploiting)?

Whoever posted under the 'Q' account the the other day needs to be spanked and spanked hard. This has been my biggest issue and it now has to be taken as company gospel. Blanket accusation of exploiting to cover your hides for your mistake is unprofessional and stinks of "saving face" in front of your superiors.

Please see the light on this. You are alienating your playerbase.

Cheers!
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The development team became aware of a potential leveling exploit on Wednesday morning this week. After initial investigations, we decided to shut down access to the maps that were being used for this power-leveling to perform a deeper investigation.
    I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Stephen D’Angelo
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online

On behalf of many players who did not exploit powerlevel to max specialization, thanks.

Yes you are correct I and most others tried it at least once, most of us could tell it was bugged or not WAI so didn't keep doing it like the 300 who lost spec points. It was a good call and fair.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    grimlyone wrote: »
    There's still no definition of which maps were exploitable.
    Were're talking Only Tau Dewa patrols? Or all patrols?

Details, we copious details about the subject. Which maps are considered exploitable.

I seriously think the dev team needs to pay more attention to reality in which players are. Of course people will want to level fast.
    The question is which players will want to do that... The ones that are willing to spend hundreds of hours doing the grind, to get to the max level?
    These are people that, most certainly, were the most loyal and most devoted of the fans. The min-maxers, the people that want and will work to be the best.

The situation was still handled poorly and I still don't agree with the decision of rolling back the points, because of bug caused by developers incompetence. ( personally, I wasn't affected, the question over here is - what is right, and what is not. If the word "exploit" can be slapped freely on everything, it's the most insecure and unstable element )
    Your signature... It is AN not A.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    My previous experience with the GM's has shown me on more than one occasion that your Data Analysis isn't always very good, so I do hope this is being done properly this time for the sakes of those that have been hit unfairly.

However, that said I do think you guys need to improve your communications with the players. Half the problem with this mess and a few others with this expansion is the lack of communication and consequently it has resulted in much aggravation.

Some is still justified, xp gains are horrendously low and still don't reflect the difficulty settings properly. Also the upgrade system costs are too prohibitive for many players, I still believe this needs addressing.

But my main point from all this is for everyone's sake, be straight and honest with us and keep talking to us, because like I've said that's half the problem.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    tcgrandpa#3038 tcgrandpa Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    thanks much appreciated, open honest communication and I know with data your limited as to what you can say by NDA and PCI and a few other policies everyone else has to follow.

I have to say this communication has gone a long way in my book to well restoring some misgivings I was having on feedback since myself was completely blind to this didn't know about it till the threads on map shutdown came out so it was like huh? then WTF then sp lost seeing various threads and then this response to me the case is closed and as stated will be treated and investigated on a case by case basis. someone previously said you'll lose players because of this to me you'll gain 10x what you loose in respect and integrity.

Rob
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    marc8219 wrote: »
    On behalf of many players who did not exploit powerlevel to max specialization, thanks.

Yes you are correct I and most others tried it at least once, most of us could tell it was bugged or not WAI so didn't keep doing it like the 300 who lost spec points. It was a good call and fair.

^ Seconded.
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Surely this would be like fixing the barn door after the horses have already bolted? According to whats emerged is that your Dev team were made aware of the issue during beta testing on tribble and yet no corrective action was taken at that time. This issue is the sort of thing that should have been nailed down before it went live.

I do believe that your entire QA and beta test system needs a serious overhaul and improvement. Because like someone else above posted you've lost a portion of the player base over this mistake, many of them loyal customers over a school boy error that should never have occurred.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Bottom line.

You nerfed XP for your PWE owners to try and get us to buy XP boosters....which you ALSO nerfed by 66% XP for the same 200 zen.

Stop trying to bull**** us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xms9779xms9779 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nice to know you always intended for us to grind out levels for months to stretch out the already thin content. Thanks, no further reason to log in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    vocmcp wrote: »

Guess the massive dill-foundry exploits weren't worth mentioning then..................?!

To my knowledge everyone who exploited that one were perma banned, since it was akin to theft.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    grimlyonegrimlyone Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Your signature... It is AN not A.

Lol, correct, I just copied it mindlessly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The beast at Tanagra.
    Kadir beneath Mo Moteh. Kiteo, his eyes closed. Chenza at court, the court of silence. Darmok on the ocean.
    Shaka, when the walls fell.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stark2k wrote: »
    To my knowledge everyone who exploited that one were perma banned, since it was akin to theft.

Yeah, many of those folks either saw everything stripped, saw temp bans, perm bans, or even had zombie ninja monkeys come to their homes in the middle of the night to slap them around with rotten banana peels...
  • Options
    schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I lost points and the closest thing to "exploiting" was playing Argala patrol on elite. However comparing the normal and elite variant, it was (until yesterdays patch) 5x the xp reward vs 6x the HP to chew through. That's -at least for me- nothing “too good to be something the dev team intended to happen”

Did write a CS ticket about it yesterday already, tracking number: 141023-000646
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not good enough.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
This discussion has been closed.