Install Arc

How can we tell if it's an exploit?

lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
I don't have a crystal ball, so...
Post edited by lystent on

Comments

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,290 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well it should have been obvious since the enemies didn't correctly match level.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's simple:

If you're doing anything that's not related to the new content, it's an exploit.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »
    It's simple:

If you're doing anything that's not related to the new content, it's an exploit.

Easier: If its a clear benefit to you as a player, that hasn't been announced to be intended, it's either a bug or an exploit.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Easier: If its a clear benefit to you as a player, that hasn't been announced to be intended, it's either a bug or an exploit.

That sounds harder.
    edited October 2014
    That sounds harder.

No because here comes the shiny: If it's a bug OR an exploit, you can't use it... At least not often.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • iplaystarwarsiplaystarwars Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »
    It's simple:

That being said, I am still going back to content that I haven't completed as of yet, mainly because it wasn't around when I level my first character. So does that mean that I am exploiting?
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,290 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Are people just ignoring what I say now?
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • fuglassfuglass Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lystent wrote: »

Then "Welcome aboard the U.S.S. SOL", with the rest of us :)
    edited October 2014
    westx211 wrote: »

Yes.

Mainly because you were replying to the most recent episode... Something that is already being discussed in countless other threads, making it too specific to be of relevance.

The op asked a general question.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Yes.

MMO cheaters will always ignore the truth while they decry their innocence and blame the devs for tricking them into cheating.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited October 2014
  • calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well it should have been obvious since the enemies didn't correctly match level.

I hope they fixed those Tholian enemy contacts in Tau Dewa too. Oh! And those mirror ships appearing from rifts when fighting Tholians. :rolleyes:
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hravik wrote: »

LOL... I thought of this very thing myself.
    edited October 2014

Yeah.. I never did that once. Still lost 23 levels.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Have you been banned or recieved an infraction yet? If not, then you can probably stop worrying.

The general guideline for an exploit would probably be:
    If it's too good to be true, something is probably up.
    If you need some special setup that is out of the ordinary and the benefit is non-intuitive or violates the spirit of the rules.

For example Aux2Bat BFAW builds may be very powerful and out of the ordinary compared to many other builds, but it's intuitively clear that if you can boost your weapon power and reduce the cooldowns of powers, that's something that should help your build. But if for some reason your Aux-Based powers become more powerful while Aux2Bat is draining your Aux, that would be counter-intuitive and violating the spirit of the power. And if you start building your ship around that (Aux2Bat Science Vessel that blows up NPC ships with Gravity Wells at 10 Aux), you are probably in the "intentionally exploiting" territory.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited October 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »

how did you lose 23 level??
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited October 2014

If your internal voice of reason tells you it is an exploit then it is an exploit.

Unless you have killed that voice long ago
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    how did you lose 23 level??

I logged in today and had 23 fewer spec points than I did last night.

And I never ran even a single teamed mission in Tau Dewa.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    General rule of thumb;
    • Do you get anything in return while playing the game? Exploit
    • Have you paid good money? You're safe (sometimes)
    • Are you enjoying it? You are at risk!! Fun means no income, so you MUST by haxing and therefor be banned.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
    edited October 2014
    I logged in today and had 23 fewer spec points than I did last night.

And I never ran even a single teamed mission in Tau Dewa.

sounds like some kind of glitch to me. did you send a ticket to them?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014

I think that may have been another problem - the skill poitn and XP earn rate was not quite in sync. (From 50 to 60, you could sometimes see this when you got the Promotion mission before you actually reached level 55 or 60). I think that's the 175 % vs 200 % difference they talked about in the patch notes.
    I think it's basically an unrelated error to the whole exploit discussion.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The general guideline for an exploit would probably be:
    If it's too good to be true, something is probably up.

I guess I exploited Mirror Invasion for years then and currently I'm exploiting Dyson sphere ground zone (and I don't even mean instance hopping). I should be worried.
    edited October 2014
    (Yes, I've filed a ticket. I hope to get a response... but I'm not counting on it.)

The point is- there are dozens of people here who are reporting losing spec points- and they never ran the Tau Dewa missions. We're not all lying. Some of us have just been grinding- totally legitimately- like mad men.

I am transitioning between jobs this month. I left my old job in late September, and will not start my new job until November 3rd. I've been enjoying a lot of time off. Aside from one short weekend hunting trip, I've been at home with very little to do beside grind grind grind.

In the past week, I've pulled two all-nighters grinding XP for spec points. I've only focused one ONE of my toons... I haven't touched my alts since DR launched. I've just been pounding pavement on my main toon. I've been working very hard to gain XP.

I never used the Tau Dewa exploit. I've just been running like mad.

Yet when Cryptic decided to pull back the XP from the exploiters- I (and many like me) have been caught up in the crossfire. Just because we've run like mad, doesn't mean we're exploiters!
  • solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If it helps progression without 1) an upper limit (dil refinement) or 2) a timegate (pve queues and rep projects) then it's only a matter of time/excessive use till it's labeled exploit.
  • zysalianzysalian Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    (Yes, I've filed a ticket. I hope to get a response... but I'm not counting on it.)

The point is- there are dozens of people here who are reporting losing spec points- and they never ran the Tau Dewa missions. We're not all lying. Some of us have just been grinding- totally legitimately- like mad men.

I never used the Tau Dewa exploit. I've just been running like mad.

Yet when Cryptic decided to pull back the XP from the exploiters- I (and many like me) have been caught up in the crossfire. Just because we've run like mad, doesn't mean we're exploiters!

Another major point, one that in my book proves that this is a bug and not punishment for exploiters, is that several people who were "TD grinding" like anything have reported that they still have all their specialization points remaining.
    Or if this really was a punishment, it was one epic failure of one. Allowing some to get away without punishment while punishing other people who had nothing to do with the whole mess.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    General rule of thumb;
    • Do you get anything in return while playing the game? Exploit
    • Have you paid good money? You're safe (sometimes)

You need to add:

Are you enjoying it? You may be at risk. Depends on what Cryptic's Magic 8-Ball says.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Updated! Though with a mild twist... Thank WM! :D
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Yes they were... that's why groups wanted lower levels... do to matching the squad leader so the mobs matched his level.

The issue was XP scaling not enemy ships not matching party leads level. The XP scaled to the squad leaders level... so for a 60 it was better to pretend to be a 50 and clear level 50 content for xp then to be a 60 and clear level 60 content. Level 50 content gave better XP if you were near its level. So you scaled your self down to lowest level in the group to match the content level.
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have to admit I was just playing, not checking enemy levels in every match, story and map. I have to be aware of that now too? What a pain.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You need to add:

Are you enjoying it? You may be at risk. Depends on what Cryptic's Magic 8-Ball says.

...a voice from the past

yeah i heard about PWE/Cryptic..ARc what ever they are calling themselves these days continuing to blight its people. So i poped by to assess the damage after getting a surprising email. May i take this oportunity to say "i told u so!!" (mainly for Luna) ...and can I have johnsills stuff? :P

On the next STOked, Geko shows up to give insite on Delta Rising.

gofasternow intermission for the other players

what if u play the Delta Rising promotion backwards...

i make my visits memorable...

but, some may find this surprising, i dont actually enjoy seeing cryptic mocked even though they have it coming at this point. i worked hard and took a lot of guff to try and preserve the game but was fought the whole way....i didnt want this to happen, but as i said so many times on the arc feedback thread, if u give into their demands and allow them to squeeze you out of any say, then u will be working FOR them instead of the traditional customer and business relation. Whats sad is the damage is done now, and only the a rare few who are trying to save face for siding with you will still refuse to admit how u did things was wrong and underhanded to your customers. Many of us where robbed! Dont kill this game, get your act together before u push all of the attention to star wars or some other mmo!

-Cat