test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Watch out for this guy

johnmastersjohnmasters Member Posts: 81 Arc User
Please be forewarned. A player has robbed my fleet and left with all it assets. Please take care in letting this player have access to your fleet.

I know some of you will laugh, others will just say it is a game. I get that. But he took 4yrs worth of work in one day.

If you like that sorts with you fine. He likes to RP a lot too.

Please take what I say as a warning about this player.

I removed the name from this forum post.
Post edited by johnmasters on

Comments

• Options
    avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sorry to hear that. :(
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Best contact a gm about it.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I already have. I don't expect to get a return from them.
  • Options
    alexrichardsalexrichards Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Please be forewarned. A player has robbed my fleet and left with all it assets. Please take care in letting this player have access to your fleet.

I know some of you will laugh, others will just say it is a game. I get that. But he took 4yrs worth of work in one day.

If you like that sorts with you fine. He likes to RP a lot too.

Please take what I say as a warning about this player.

You could contact a GM but the response will probably be that you are S.O.L. Also, i think naming and shaming threads are frowned upon here.. So in b4 lock?
    Admiral Alex 'Grumpy Cat' Richards
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What you looking @ Admiral?"
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I understand but I hate that people cant be held accountable in games anymore. This isnt WOW where you can be a thief. This required some level of trust. Trust can be betrayed and if a game can allow thieving from trust then where is the consequence to the action of 1 to a many? We have consequences to many other things.

This isnt the first time it has happend to me in all my years of gaming but even in Star Trek there are laws to follow.

There should be a way to make a player responsible for their actions against a great many.
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    How long was he in your fleet to have full bank access?
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well that sucks but all I can say is you screwed up with what your fleet settings were. If you had put any effort into setting your fleet up you would have set ranks that limeted how much could be taken by a player and restricted acess to rarer gear and EC's. You also could have set it so a fleet officer of high rank was needed to release an item to a player by sending it in an in game mail. Giving a player complete access to your bank was stupid. Take it as a lesson learned.
  • Options
    heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited October 2014
    Was it me? I hope it was me.
    I AM WAR.
  • Options
    vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »

Good luck with that, you will be SOL
    I already have. I don't expect to get a return from them.

Yup, dont expect anything to happen. That is wishful thinking!
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    heckgoblin wrote: »
    Was it me? I hope it was me.

just to dash your hopes but.....It wasnt you it was...that guy.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Unfortunately, some lessons cost more than others. It is always the hardest lessons that are remembered for the rest of one's life.

Would be nice if everything is resolved quickly, but there is little chance of that happening.
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That sucks,i remember an other mmo i was in and this happened in a guild i was in. You feel so vilolated. And this person was a friend of the leader.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    sucks more because the assets I used came from spending money to aquire keys way back when the best way to get keys was with real cash. So I lost real money to this joker.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    kozar2 wrote: »
    How long was he in your fleet to have full bank access?

He was with us for well over a year, almost 2 and was helping a lot and I gave him access to help the newer members and help with the fleet projects.
  • Options
    historynerd1historynerd1 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I can't imagine essentially giving a middle finger to my fleet-mates whom I've known for years. No tact there.

I can only empathize: my fleet has a prize section full of lockbox ships when members contribute a certain amount, albeit mostly mirror ships; and, we had this guy take about twenty ships in one night and left the fleet the next morning. Of course we changed permissions, but when you're dealing with someone that's been with your fleet for a while, you can't imagine they would do such a thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Go and have a wee, the second act gets considerably weirder." -Tim Minchin
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I hate to say this but, it's partly your fleet leaderships fault.

They gave him that level of access.

Now if he'd been there for a year and then just suddenly smash and grabbed that's something else, but too many fleets give brand new members complete access and end up getting bitten in the butt for it.

This isn't the Federation, other people aren't altruistic do-gooders.
  • Options
    olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
    edited October 2014
    foundrelic wrote: »

Now if he'd been there for a year and then just suddenly smash and grabbed that's something else, but too many fleets give brand new members complete access and end up getting bitten in the butt for it.

got to read more buddy
    He was with us for well over a year, almost 2 and was helping a lot and I gave him access to help the newer members and help with the fleet projects.

I didn't realize this could happen
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »

Funny...

Everyone knows that:
    • There are no GM's in STO
    • Getting "robbed" is fleets own problem... not Cryptics (Thats the response they will get... just ask some of the other fleets who claim they have been robbed).

It's not possible to be robbed in STO. For people to take items they need permission to do so.

Like, you give some random stranger the key to your house and say: Feel at home... No cop in the world would take you serious if you said they Stole things from you under those conditions.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2014
    You could contact a GM but the response will probably be that you are S.O.L. Also, i think naming and shaming threads are frowned upon here.. So in b4 lock?

The OP edited his post to compensate, however, your quote is in dire need of editing (censorship mainly).

Edit: Thank you, the thread may actually live, probably.
  • Options
    admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So EVE Online awoxers start to play STO? :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]

• Options
    sililossililos Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Was gonna say, i came to STO to get away from those *****.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    foundrelic wrote: »

thats right its very easy to restrict access to the fleet bank so you can donate but not withdraw, in my fed fleet i am at a very high rank level and still cant access the withdraw function on the fleet bank, if there is anything i want i still need to ask someone with access to get it for me and i have been in the fleet for 3 years and have donated enough to give me one of the top possisions in the leaderboards.
    not that there is anything i need anyway and ironically in our sister kdf fleet i am leader being about the only member who plays kdf every day and have full access naturally and still have not drawn anything from the kdf bank.

sadly i hear way to many times of fleets that allow full bank access to new members and end up paying this price.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    curedmencuredmen Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Lols, most fleet banks are full of BS anyways. There is no reason to cry over it! HELL, i even hire random guys from esd zone from time to time to raid our fleet bank and pay them to do it. Saves me the trouble for arranging all the nonsense people donate.

Get over it, you gave the permissions.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The mods don't like this kind of thread. Good on you for taking the name out; people who quoted you should do the same.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited October 2014

There are many EVE players on the dev staff, and among the playerbase. Internet spaceships are a small community.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    catjarrettcatjarrett Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    thats right its very easy to restrict access to the fleet bank so you can donate but not withdraw, in my fed fleet i am at a very high rank level and still cant access the withdraw function on the fleet bank, if there is anything i want i still need to ask someone with access to get it for me and i have been in the fleet for 3 years and have donated enough to give me one of the top possisions in the leaderboards.
    not that there is anything i need anyway and ironically in our sister kdf fleet i am leader being about the only member who plays kdf every day and have full access naturally and still have not drawn anything from the kdf bank.

sadly i hear way to many times of fleets that allow full bank access to new members and end up paying this price.

So you've been with your fleet for almost two years and still can't withdraw items? Wow.
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's a hard lesson learned but if I may give you some advice from one fleet leader to another.

I like to think I run a pretty successful Tier V Fed fleet (did it in under a year) and Tier IV KDF fleet here are some suggestions:

1. Never give rank 7 (highest rank) to anyone but yourself...period...unless you'll be away from the game for months (in thats case one probably shouldn't be leader anyway). As fleet leader you should probably log in everyday just to check up on things or at least every other day.

2. Only give limited access to anyone below you for the fleet bank. All these ranks are strictly volunteer, including yours, if they are requesting more and more access, question it. For example if your fleet bank has 200,000,000 EC, then seconds in command should have access to pull out 5-10 million daily no more and like 2-5 items (if that, there really is little reason to pull out more).

2.a. Members have access to our other less important parts of the bank where cheap Mk XII purple gear is left and lower items to level for members to take. Limit is usually 1-2 a day. Monitor the logs anyway, you'll soon find there are members just pulling, pulling, and never donating a thing (leechers).

What we do is send them a friendly email that we do expect members to take as well as give from time to time.

3. Don't give access for your seconds to demote other seconds you might have and definetly don't give them access to change daily bank requirements or rank attributes.

4. Be careful of players that have many, many alts. If you give all their alts access to pull out 10 million EC and they have 10 alts that's 100,000,000 EC they can pull out in a few minutes. I allow my Vice Admirals to have their alts have the same rank for convenience of not having to log in and out to do administrative stuff...for now it's worked.

5. Your lowest rank should have access to nothing other than to donate to fleet projects and the fleet chat. Set a minimum requirement or time for next rank...they don't like it there are plenty of other fleets.

6. Be flexible, there are times when I do release more access to the lower ranks when the bank is getting full and allow more lead way for "withdraws". After a period of time I bring it back down.

7. We have Admin forums locked to anyone but our seconds on our site. The policy is you pull something from the "Fleet Vault" (where the EC is kept) and you have to log it on the site as to why it was pulled.

We treat our bank as a community bank where the major gear and EC is used to prize off to members during events/activities and everything needs to be logged and documented.

The fact is that this is a game, yes but I know a lot of our members have dropped A LOT of hard earned real world cash to help bring the fleet to where it is (mainly Zen to Dil and paying for TeamSpeak/Website) at that point it's more than just a game and should be taken seriously and anyone not comfortable with the safety protocols set in place to protect everyone's gaming investment/interest can just leave.

The way I run my fleet is a combination of "benevolent dictatorship" coupled with republic and democratic components. Global issues pertaining to the entire fleet are usually voted on by all members, extremely important or sensitive issues are voted only by those in the Admiralty, my role is to manage and mediate everything and have a final say if the Admiralty fails to come to some agreement.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Unfortunately, some lessons cost more than others. It is always the hardest lessons that are remembered for the rest of one's life..

Things are even more bleak than that, as this is not the sort of lesson that can be learned, ever. Whether after a month, or a year even, at some point you're gonna trust people. And then you might still get robbed by them. Can't be helped, or avoided.

Only lesson you could possibly learn from this, is to never trust anyone, ever again. I recommend against that, as it will likely make you bitter, and will, in the long run, hurt you far more than the loss of some Fleet assets.
    3lsZz0w.jpg