test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Watch out for this guy

2»

Comments

• adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You could contact a GM but the response will probably be that you are S.O.L. Also, i think naming and shaming threads are frowned upon here.. So in b4 lock?

It's funny you say he's SOL and then right after, say you shouldn't name names, haha. Seeing as Cryptic is unwilling to help us, ever, I see no problem in shaming. As long as said act did actually occurred but there in lies the problem with it. The proverbial double edge sword.
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    adorenko wrote: »
    It's funny you say he's SOL and then right after, say you shouldn't name names, haha. Seeing as Cryptic is unwilling to help us, ever, I see no problem in shaming.

Then let me enlighten you: shaming & naming only gets YOU a warning/banned, and accomplishes nothing else. So, just follow the prescribed path: which is to contact a GM. Since we all know they couldn't care less, the original observation that the OP is S.O.L., is spot-on.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • johnmastersjohnmasters Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's a hard lesson learned but if I may give you some advice from one fleet leader to another.

I like to think I run a pretty successful Tier V Fed fleet (did it in under a year) and Tier IV KDF fleet here are some suggestions:

1. Never give rank 7 (highest rank) to anyone but yourself...period...unless you'll be away from the game for months (in thats case one probably shouldn't be leader anyway). As fleet leader you should probably log in everyday just to check up on things or at least every other day.

2. Only give limited access to anyone below you for the fleet bank. All these ranks are strictly volunteer, including yours, if they are requesting more and more access, question it. For example if your fleet bank has 200,000,000 EC, then seconds in command should have access to pull out 5-10 million daily no more and like 2-5 items (if that, there really is little reason to pull out more).

2.a. Members have access to our other less important parts of the bank where cheap Mk XII purple gear is left and lower items to level for members to take. Limit is usually 1-2 a day. Monitor the logs anyway, you'll soon find there are members just pulling, pulling, and never donating a thing (leechers).

What we do is send them a friendly email that we do expect members to take as well as give from time to time.

3. Don't give access for your seconds to demote other seconds you might have and definetly don't give them access to change daily bank requirements or rank attributes.

4. Be careful of players that have many, many alts. If you give all their alts access to pull out 10 million EC and they have 10 alts that's 100,000,000 EC they can pull out in a few minutes. I allow my Vice Admirals to have their alts have the same rank for convenience of not having to log in and out to do administrative stuff...for now it's worked.

5. Your lowest rank should have access to nothing other than to donate to fleet projects and the fleet chat. Set a minimum requirement or time for next rank...they don't like it there are plenty of other fleets.

6. Be flexible, there are times when I do release more access to the lower ranks when the bank is getting full and allow more lead way for "withdraws". After a period of time I bring it back down.

7. We have Admin forums locked to anyone but our seconds on our site. The policy is you pull something from the "Fleet Vault" (where the EC is kept) and you have to log it on the site as to why it was pulled.

We treat our bank as a community bank where the major gear and EC is used to prize off to members during events/activities and everything needs to be logged and documented.

The fact is that this is a game, yes but I know a lot of our members have dropped A LOT of hard earned real world cash to help bring the fleet to where it is (mainly Zen to Dil and paying for TeamSpeak/Website) at that point it's more than just a game and should be taken seriously and anyone not comfortable with the safety protocols set in place to protect everyone's gaming investment/interest can just leave.

The way I run my fleet is a combination of "benevolent dictatorship" coupled with republic and democratic components. Global issues pertaining to the entire fleet are usually voted on by all members, extremely important or sensitive issues are voted only by those in the Admiralty, my role is to manage and mediate everything and have a final say if the Admiralty fails to come to some agreement.

I've been running my fleet a lot longer and We made sure on day one a lot of that was implemented. I appreciate the advice and maybe will help others but does not correlate to things that I have already dealt with or happened to us in general.

Truth is he never reached my rank. I and the original founders are the only ones even in that role. Since my attention was needed else where at the time I had given him similar rights that I had to maintain the fleet in my absence.

So I followed similar protocol and is still not enough to deter situations like this.

The question that needs to be asked(since I was victimized once by having my sto account TRIBBLE at one point and never fixed by PW/cryptic which is technically a crime) what actions are there for such a situation?

Problem is development companies wont do it because there are more people willing to do these things and play their games. What hurts the most of the whole thing is the feeling of betrayal. They say "Its just a game". However when real money is involved it becomes theft. So I'm gambling on the hope no one steals my money in this game? I felt safe because I welcomed anyone to us that was looking to get away from this kind of feeling.

The reality is I just didnt see it. I couldn't touch the folks that stole my card number and stole all my money out of a real bank, I couldnt get the guys who TRIBBLE my account and stole most everything then, and now I cant touch this guy. With everything I've been through this last year, I cant accept this.

I am tired of having these conversations and the devs and companies not listening.
  • johnmastersjohnmasters Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's funny you say he's SOL and then right after, say you shouldn't name names, haha. Seeing as Cryptic is unwilling to help us, ever, I see no problem in shaming. As long as said act did actually occur but there in lies the problem with it. The proverbial double edge sword.

I actually have screen shots of the vault logs and of the time he left. So it is all documented on what he did. I just cant show you because of "shamming".

I don't find it shamming when it is justice in the RIGHT. I have evidence like you would need in a court. Shamming someone without evidence is one thing and I do hate it when people do it for a political or personal vendetta. If someone does do it though and you have proof it should be and exception.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sinn74 wrote: »
    I never believe these. I once zoned into orbit above ESD, and got a random ignore from someone, who then said "Yeah, they stole from my fleet." ... So, "grain of salt," and all that.
    Well, I can vouch for johnmasters on this account. Two of my three fed-side toons are in his fleet, and the 'thief' wasn't just a new member who schmoozed his way in and cleaned house, he'd been very involved for quite awhile and had earned a certain level of trust.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's funny you say he's SOL and then right after, say you shouldn't name names, haha. Seeing as Cryptic is unwilling to help us, ever, I see no problem in shaming. As long as said act did actually occur but there in lies the problem with it. The proverbial double edge sword.

A character who uses the handle of adorenko conned me out of a lock box ship. Do not trust him at all. Now do you see no prolem with shaming?

It's a complete lie, but if I wanted to I could get screen shots done and make a more involved story on the matter. You can protest all you want that you are innocent but that won't matter the seed of doubt has been planted.
    I actually have screen shots of the vault logs and of the time he left. So it is all documented on what he did. I just cant show you because of "shamming".

I don't find it shamming when it is justice in the RIGHT. I have evidence like you would need in a court. Shamming someone without evidence is one thing and I do hate it when people do it for a political or personal vendetta. If someone does do it though and you have proof it should be and exception.

Screen shots and so on can be faked. It is shaming as we only have your side of the matter. See above. Shaming is not "justice" it is revenge and an act outside of the rules.
  • catjarrettcatjarrett Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Old TRIBBLE story.

Once upon a time, on a gaming forum far, far away, when publicly asking for assistance from thieves was still allowed, one forum member manufactured "proof" of someone stealing from their guild. Screenshots? Oh yes, look, here they are! He totally stole everything.

This led to a slew of trolls doing the same. It was not pretty.

That's why no public shaming. That's why very, very few companies will take responsibility for thieves.

Does it royally suck? Yes, it does. What can we do about it? Not much on the official forums. Again, back in the day, people created forums for guild masters of a particular game that had offenders listed. Still absolutely ripe for abuse, but repeat names and such would show up and at least provide a measure of protection.

Good luck. Thieves need to be punched in their dangly bits.
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You say four years of assets like what twenty lock boxes or a bunch of hypos.
    download.jpg
  • strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Would be rather simple, I think, for there to be a 'provision' limit of 4-5 per 24 hour period for a character. Wouldn't stop such things but, would slow it down enough to be noticed by leadership.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Would be rather simple, I think, for there to be a 'provision' limit of 4-5 per 24 hour period for a character. Wouldn't stop such things but, would slow it down enough to be noticed by leadership.

Most fleets have that.

If this guy was able to take this stuff, it's cause he was allowed to do so. He was given the right. Technically he didn't actually do anything wrong.

Was it a d*ck move? Probably, but being a d*ck isn't a crime.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Then let me enlighten you: shaming & naming only gets YOU a warning/banned, and accomplishes nothing else. So, just follow the prescribed path: which is to contact a GM. Since we all know they couldn't care less, the original observation that the OP is S.O.L., is spot-on.

Thanks, I already knew all that and didn't suggest anything else that was already in place about being SOL. Just poking fun at the situation and how absurd it is that the fork in the road both lead to the same conclusion, you're screwed.

Also, maybe you should quote my entire statement, as when you leave off the last two lines it's a bit out of context.

Original post:

It's funny you say he's SOL and then right after, say you shouldn't name names, haha. Seeing as Cryptic is unwilling to help us, ever, I see no problem in shaming. As long as said act did actually occurred but there in lies the problem with it. The proverbial double edge sword.

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thanks, I already knew all that and didn't suggest anything else that was already in place about being SOL. Just poking fun at the situation and how absurd it is that the fork in the road both lead to the same conclusion, you're screwed.

Also, maybe you should quote my entire statement, as when you leave off the last two lines it's a bit out of context.

Original post:

No, man-friend, 'As long as said act did actually occurred' changes nothing, as all info posted here, by definition, can't be verified, and is thus pointless. And it wouldn't be in the first time in Internet history that someone had an axe to grind.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    No, man-friend, 'As long as said act did actually occurred' changes nothing, as all info posted here, by definition, can't be verified, and is thus pointless. And it wouldn't be in the first time in Internet history that someone had an axe to grind.

You win!

/10characters

• syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited October 2014

I can absolutely promise you, the only reason a moderator hasn't acted in this thread yet is because there aren't very many moderators.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".