What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I'm NOT Starfleet

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    patrickngo wrote: »
    fixed it for ya.

How many Star Trek TV series have their been that focused on a Romulan Empire or Republic or Klingon Defense Force crew?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • bravecatherinebravecatherine Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    Starfleet and the KDF share a common foe, but the hostilities between our two Empires has not ended and will not be a thing of the past simply because of a slight of hand. Everywhere I watch starfleet skipping across their little peaceful and civilized but warmongering vessels taking over territory that should belong to the Klingon Empire, my blood boils. Everytime I see starfleet using property that KDF warriors worked hard for to obtain, my blood boils.

I shall fight the Iconians by myself if I have to, but I will damned if I have to ally myself with dishonorable starfleet.

Long life and Glory to the Klingon Empire.

The Empire approves this message.:)
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    How many Star Trek TV series have their been that focused on a Romulan Empire or Republic or Klingon Defense Force crew?

Lots of them... For example there is...

I mean...

How about Star Trek : Kli... wait... right...

Ummm....

OH... there was... no...

Dude... Obviously Star trek Voya... no... ummm...

Right... none...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • stormcrow704stormcrow704 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm surprised at the hate this thread generated.

My crew are clearly bad guys. My bridge officers are a borg, a breen, assorted naussicans and letheans. All in black. My main looks like a klingon version of Lobo with an eye patch. I like to think of my ship as a 1% biker bar in space. So yeah, when I come accross a mission where I'm expected to be diplomatic or help talaxian refugees or some junk it does kind of break the immersion for me. But does that mean that Cryptic owes me a expansion for bad guys only? Then you'll have this forum crawling with feds crying over all the puppies and kittens they've been forced to devour. Just like PVP is driven by players - you must turn to the foundry for missions tailored to your predilictions. Or make your own

For instance ***shameless plug*** why not check out the KDF foundry series On the Edge of an Empire ?
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Klingon negotiating team shows up to "negotiate" a settlement between to warring star systems:

Klingon team give them 3 options;

Option 1. "What a nice little war you have here.. nothing like the possibility of really getting killed to add some spice to life! Lets see if we can keep this nice and low scale, with out overly disrupting the system economy.. After all it'll drive research and development, while allowing the more aggressive members of your society an outlet." Or,,,,

Option 2. You will stop fighting each other now or the Klingon Empire will come in and pacify BOTH your star systems by systematic near orbit bombardment and destruction of all industrial, and infrastructure loci. I promise you will both be a little to busy to be fighting each other.

Option 3. Obliterate to planetary seats of both star system governments from orbit, and check back in a couple weeks with the new governments as the war will be over.

Smile a lot, showing teeth, a lot while presenting options 2 and 3, make sure its very clear that for the negotiating teams THESE are the preferred options. Either way the current war gets ended.

The Federation my not be happy with the process, but the KDF negotiators will get results.

And unlike star fleet, the KDF doesn't have muddled policies.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The only time I felt 'Romulan' when playing through Delta Rising was when I got chewed out by seven in one of the last episodes after blowing up an ally.

Heck, they give you some sneaky Romulan NPC's to work with, including one who is ex-Tal Shiar, but when they talk about their sneaky-sneaky plans, you don't have any choice but to voice your concerns about their ethics.

There needs to be more opportunities to choose deceptive, agrressive and imperialistic choices. We have Klingons attacking civilian freighters and selling their passengers into slavery with the Orions. Why on Earth would they be concerned about what happens to some annoying Talaxians?

In fact, I'd say there isn't enough opportunity to disagree with the NPCs in Delta Rising, period. We're high ranking commanders, ostensibly with the rank to command entire fleets of ships (yet only do so in the final mission), taking orders from subliutennants and captains etc. I can imagine Klingons or Romulans reacting violently to things like the Benthans 'deputizing' you, or the Turei acting like...the Turei, but there just isn't the bredth of options that there should be to accommodate Romulan or KDF players.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The only time I felt 'Romulan' when playing through Delta Rising was when I got chewed out by seven in one of the last episodes after blowing up an ally.

Heck, they give you some sneaky Romulan NPC's to work with, including one who is ex-Tal Shiar, but when they talk about their sneaky-sneaky plans, you don't have any choice but to voice your concerns about their ethics.

Because you are a Republic Romulan not a Tal Shiar stooge Romulan.
  • drazziidrazzii Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As a Federation player, I do also have a "bad" side and a gut feelings about different races. My first reaction is not always "peace" even as a Federation captain, so I believe that peace should not be our only option when going through missions.

I could have avoided the disaster on Neelix's asteroid if I had more control over our destiny.
    aV2IRVJ.png
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Because you are a Republic Romulan not a Tal Shiar stooge Romulan.
    Did you not read my post? One of the mission contacts *is* ex-Tal Shiar and has some decidedly... Imperial Romulan ways in which she gets stuff done. she gets to act like an Imperial Romulan as much as she wants, the player character? Not so much.

Besides, it's not as though acting like a Romulan from the actual shows makes you suddenly an Iconian stooge. the vast majority of Romulans seen on the shows were military, not Tal Shiar.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Oh, first day on the Internet, then? Welcome aboard, and strap in, 'cause it'll only get wilder from here! :D
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • xandercorvusxandercorvus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Romulans that you wish to play as don't exist as a playable option for a reason, if you've been paying attention at all to the story. Just because you've seen them acting that way always on screen doesn't mean that they're all like that. Look at how D'Tan reacted to Captain Picard and Spock. Did he feel they were inferior to himself? No. These Romulans are the ones that the Empire has been telling them to act so and so for years. They don't want that anymore, but they don't want to do the same to others.

The Romulans that you want to play as are currently being manipulated by the Iconians. Either man up and face it, or find another game.

Exactly, however...
    Being given the ability to choose "I.R.W." as your RRF ship's name prefix DOES seem to allude to an attempt to cater somewhat to an RSE RP style.
    I just don't understand why the other issues here that could be just as easily fixed with a simple line of text seem to be such a problem to implement.
    Seriously, half of the players in STO could write this text right off of the top of thir heads.

Ive been Klingon since the Orginal Beta. Regardless of the unforgivable take on Romulans, much of the content is not Klingon appropriate either. There is no honor in being a liberated borg or reanimated corpse.
    I may be wrong, since I've only been playing STO since 2012, but I do not believe the Klingons were added to STO until PvP was introduced. Which wasn't part of the Beta, IIRC. So how could you have been playing a Klingon in STO before there were Klingons in STO?

Makes the rest of your statements highly suspect.

Yes.
    I was in-game one week before the live launch, thanks to the One Week Early Access for new Lifetime Subscriptions sale that they had, and I'm pretty sure I remember that there was not a KDF faction at one point around the live launch, but the KDF faction was later put back in along with some other minor changes.
    I think it was in the Season 1.2 release, but I could be mistaken...It may have been sooner.
    My Klingon has no problems with either. Once the proper wake has been held, a warrior's body is no longer important. The Warrior has gone to Sto'vo'kor. The body is an empty shell. If you bury it, nature will find a way to reuse it for new life. The Kobali may not be nature at work in the strictest sense, of course, but they still achieve a similar end goal - and bringing new life into the world is never a dishonour - of course, that new life must then prove itself and be judged on its own merits.

And liberated Borg are in a difficult position - they have lived as a drone, a creature without any honor or freedom of will. A good warriors duty is to restore his honour, and forming a community to liberate more Borg from a life without honour and meaning seems a very reasonable way to do it.

Exactly, or...Being a Liberated Borg could be seen as honorable because it shows that you are such a dominate warrior, that even DEATH cannot stop you; it can only slow you down until the Empire's Reinforcements show up to fight beside their brother/sister.
    skollulfr wrote: »
    sela, has the treaty. the treaty is they can hunt romulans.
    have fun with that treaty against your own species, and even yourself, imperial.

ooc. you are now in the same position the kdf have been in for a while. though your particular rp isnt even suggested as supported by the game.

Again, being able to use "I.R.W." as your RRF ships' name prefix DOES suggest this concept as being intended to be supported by the game.
    I never called them idiots. As for the Iconian hand wave....That would get the Klingons raging for war even more. Maybe not with the Federation, because like I said I never called them idiots. They can see where their true threat lies. But going into the Delta Quadrant and essentially behaving the same way a Fed Captain would when dealing in Diplomatic matters..Sorry. Youre not going to convince me that over night the Klingons have learned to be exceptional Diplomats. They are a Warrior Race. Youre not going to see a Klingon Diplomat sitting in the Captains chair of a Bird of Prey.

The Romulans are the only ones that could possibly be shown to behave different in some manner from the Romulan Star Empire we've all come to know. Since their set up is that of a more Progressive Democratic society. But they are still Romulans. They arent going to turn their backs on everything that makes them Romulans in less then 30 years. And after all theyve been through. Clinging to some of what makes them Romulan would be expected. Its what helps people get through rough times. They can still be shown to have issues trusting a newcomer or a new contact. Romulans are after all inherently paranoid. Doesnt matter if their RR or RSE.

Jarok?
    He didn't seem "inherently paranoid" to me, and he was pretty much Tal Shiar at the time.
    His...daughter, I think...is in this game as well, and mentions his positive view of Starfleet at least a couple of times.
    He actually straight out trusted Janeway & here crew to give him a fair chance.
    You're just being prejudiced against an entire species.
    Not very Trek of you, since one overlying message in Trek is to teach us to NOT be like that.
    See, I can pick ONE member of a species to base all of my opinions on as a fact, as well.
    Every member of a species is NOT the same.

In this vein, I'd like to just say that almost ALL of these problems in this thread could be erased by simply writing a bit of text somewhat differently.
    If RRF & KDF are going to be pushed into a UFP type story, just give us a dialog choice that comes across as such while still preserving the missions as intnded; it's not that hard.

Example: I agree that the only good Borg is a dead Borg. Some of my allies do not. I cannot risk losing strong allies to pacify a weaker prospect.

After all, some of the "Captains" answers are even longer than THAT in Delta Rising.

Also someone in here said something about never seeing a Klingon Diplomat in the Captain's Seat?
    Are you oblivious to the existence of Worf, whom can be quite diplomatic, and is actually ABOVE a Captain, in that he is a General?
    "Join Date: Jun 2012" Says Cryptic's "new" forum system. I've been here since a week before launch, but SOME stuff just didn't carry over through multiple system changes/updates. :rolleyes:
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Jarok?
    He didn't seem "inherently paranoid" to me, and he was pretty much Tal Shiar at the time.
    His...daughter, I think...is in this game as well, and mentions his positive view of Starfleet at least a couple of times.
    He actually straight out trusted Janeway & here crew to give him a fair chance.

Umm thats incorrect, Admiral Jarok was aboard the Enterprise D claiming he wanted to stop a potential war between his people and the federation for his family and his people in general. (After he got saved by the enterpise while being chased by a romulan heavy warbird).

Comander Jarok is his daughter.

Also he was obviously not Tal'shiar, he got saved by picard and ended up being tricked and betrayed by his own people in which because it turned out they tricked him and made him a traitor he took his own life.

So inother words Jarok wanted peace, the type of "peace" dtan's repubic has with the other factions which is why comander jarok says just that towards the end of the last FE before delta rising.
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    blah blah blah blah

No any REAL Klingon would commit suicide rather than live out their life as a "liberated" Borg. Most all Klingons would shun them as we do cripples and the infirm. There is no place in Klingon society for Liberated Drones. The shame of being assimilated in the first place is enough to make any Klingon commit Hegh'bat. Romulans would likely dissect or experiment on Drones.

I'm still not clear why we are even fighting the Vaudwaar. Aside from them being aggressive with some people we have known for like 5 minutes, there is no reason for Klingons or Romulans to concern themselves. What do we care if Kobali Prime falls?

This is all Starfleet's war and we are just along for the ride.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Lots of them... For example there is...

I mean...

How about Star Trek : Kli... wait... right...

Ummm....

OH... there was... no...

Dude... Obviously Star trek Voya... no... ummm...

Right... none...

So you admit youve never seen Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Cause if you had. Youd of known they most definitely did an episode covering what it was like on a Klingon Bird of Prey.

They may have never committed an entire series to it. But they did more then enough to reflect what it was like to be a KDF Warrior. More then enough to let you know that the way the game plays out in DR and other areas of the game for KDF and Romulans does not reflect what Klingons and Romulans would do had it been a series or movie.
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Yes.
    I was in-game one week before the live launch, thanks to the One Week Early Access for new Lifetime Subscriptions sale that they had, and I'm pretty sure I remember that there was not a KDF faction at one point around the live launch, but the KDF faction was later put back in along with some other minor changes.
    I think it was in the Season 1.2 release, but I could be mistaken...It may have been sooner.

Wrong. KDF were in the game from the start. They were sold as a PvP Faction and you had to 'unlock' them by playing a certain amount of Fed Gameplay. It caused quite an uproar and set the KDF Faction back indefinitely. That side of the game is still struggling when it comes to numbers.

As for the re-introduction of the KDF. That was later in the game when they wanted to redo the Tutorial for the KDF and they forced players to skip 25 whole levels because of the serious lack of PvE content.
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited October 2014

And, for maximum irony, Real Starfleet players don't get to do anything more than "voice their concerns" - to complete the mission, they still have to go along with the deception. Truly a middle ground that pleases no one. :rolleyes:

(I had to skip that entire patrol bundle, as there was no way to complete that one mission while remaining true to Federation ideals.)
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Starfleet is the only faction the Delta Quadrant has any exposure to. Janeway was (for better or for worse... mostly worse) their only first impression of what the Alpha/Beta Quadrants consist of. They have no idea what a Klingon or a Romulan is.

Also, the Romulans do not have a treaty with the Hirogen as a whole. The Romulan Star Empire had a treaty with some of the Hirogen hunters to use their territories as hunting ground. That treaty is likely up in the air after Empress Sela's disappearance.

what about the Klingon battle cruiser that that voyager ran into that had been traveling for 2 generations? and is not colonized and entire planet full of Klingons by now. you really think no other species has ventured to that planet or that they had not gotten bored and found a way off that rock ?
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

edited October 2014
    Starfleet is the only faction the Delta Quadrant has any exposure to. Janeway was (for better or for worse... mostly worse) their only first impression of what the Alpha/Beta Quadrants consist of. They have no idea what a Klingon or a Romulan is.

Also, the Romulans do not have a treaty with the Hirogen as a whole. The Romulan Star Empire had a treaty with some of the Hirogen hunters to use their territories as hunting ground. That treaty is likely up in the air after Empress Sela's disappearance.

and what about the vaadwaur who know of Klingons because they read about them in voyagers data base. not to mention what ever other species may have had access to the same information. normally you have a good argument but this one i believe you failed.

edited October 2014
    Star Trek is about Starfleet. Get over it.

when they introduced other species it stopped being about starfleet its about crews interacting. starfleet is just one of the characters to move the story along. the tv shows and movies were not called starfleet. star trek a journey through the stars. hell one series didnt even have starfleet until a the last episode . ( ENTERPRISE ) so starfleet is not the primary charector even is just a supporting cast member.

edited October 2014
    Of course, just stating the obvious I guess? I've made my peace with it.

you foled to his argument like a cheap cardassian suite. grow a spine warrior.

edited October 2014
    You're part of the Republic whether you like it or not, deal with it.

You can RP otherwise, but the missions will never, ever be geared towards you.

Again. Deal with it.

he may be part of the republic but if he is allied with the Klignon Empire he is still within rights to be upset at this treatment.

edited October 2014
    I'm also destroying any starfleet vessels on my path, whenever possible. TRIBBLE the peace treaty.:D

what peace treaty is binding upon the Empire as of now? all i recall at this time is a cease fire. two entirely different things.

edited October 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    This. You cannot expect the game to cater to your specific roleplay under any circumstances. As far as the story is concerned, you are a Republic Romulan. As such, when you play story missions, you must expect to be treated accordingly.

and what of the Klignon empire? are you going to use that excuse for us aswell. or admit the devs took the lazy way out.

edited October 2014

My crew are clearly bad guys. My bridge officers are a borg, a breen, assorted naussicans and letheans. All in black. My main looks like a klingon version of Lobo with an eye patch. I like to think of my ship as a 1% biker bar in space. So yeah, when I come accross a mission where I'm expected to be diplomatic or help talaxian refugees or some junk it does kind of break the immersion for me. But does that mean that Cryptic owes me a expansion for bad guys only? Then you'll have this forum crawling with feds crying over all the puppies and kittens they've been forced to devour. Just like PVP is driven by players - you must turn to the foundry for missions tailored to your predilictions. Or make your own

For instance ***shameless plug*** why not check out the KDF foundry series On the Edge of an Empire ?

no not owe you anything except decent content . one mission stood out to me aas good , the one with 7 of 9 where you meet the vaadwaur captian to infiltrate their base . you have option to leave a disable ship ( feddy bear version ) or destroy it to prevent them from being able to tell anybody MY version . i destroyed them and & went into a hissy fit. it was great. more of the mission could have been like that. but then it went down hill and at next change of map all was forgotten, disappointment.

edited October 2014
    I'm still not clear why we are even fighting the Vaudwaar. Aside from them being aggressive with some people we have known for like 5 minutes, there is no reason for Klingons or Romulans to concern themselves. What do we care if Kobali Prime falls?

This is all Starfleet's war and we are just along for the ride.

because we are starfleets new trained pets. and if we kill vaadwaur those disgusting Kobali will have more resources .

edited October 2014
    Fool!!! I do not "foled" to anyone or anything. My simple truth is to destroy my enemy whenever possible, sparing anyone is optional.

my finger armor hampers my typing ability i meant fold. and say what you will but you DID FOLD to his argument.

• mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Star Trek is about Starfleet. Get over it.

...But a faction is a faction. If you're going to run all of this "March Under the Raptor's Wings" stuff, and everything about defending your honor and fighting glorious battles in the name of the Klingon Empire all over the place, you'd better back it up, or you look lazy even if you aren't. Same principle goes for all the stuff about exploring strange new worlds... so much for that.

Cryptic looks lazy.

Even if they aren't.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »
    and what of the Klignon empire? are you going to use that excuse for us aswell. or admit the devs took the lazy way out.

I was talking about OP's RP, not about the factions proper. OP seems to want mission content to reflect his special snowflake RP Imperial Romulan. That's unreasonable. Cryptic is not required to write missions to support everyone's personal head canon. OP's request is no different than asking for a whole set of lines for people roleplaying civilian traders or Orion hookers or Photonic Android Kirk Jr's.

I never said Cryptic does a good job writing lines for each faction. They pretty obviously don't.
    edited October 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I was talking about OP's RP, not about the factions proper. OP seems to want mission content to reflect his special snowflake RP Imperial Romulan. That's unreasonable. Cryptic is not required to write missions to support everyone's personal head canon. OP's request is no different than asking for a whole set of lines for people roleplaying civilian traders or Orion hookers or Photonic Android Kirk Jr's.

I never said Cryptic does a good job writing lines for each faction. They pretty obviously don't.

but the game leads him to believe so just by the fact that he can chose between different ship prefix.

but if thats your point ill take it for what its worth. and still be angry over our factions treatment or lack there of.

• prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Playing thru Delta on my Klingon and Imperial Romulan (not part of that fauxpublic) and its very incongruous. All the missions are just too nice and helpful. Personally I think this is the best time to take out the Federation since they are spread out so thin dealing with the Voth and inferior Delta Quadrant species.

And don't we Romulans have a treaty with the Hirogen?

The Federation may be spread thin but it would be unwise to underestimate them and their allies.

We Romulans have entered this pact between the Federation and Klingons out of a need to ensure they do not turn their aggression upon us. Even those of us true to the Empire; we may be stronger than we were since the Hobus disaster and the loss of our homeworld but we are not nearly strong enough to fight a battle on two separate fronts.

No, now is not the time to attack. We should be using our allegiance with them to establish our own domains within the Delta Quadrant, gain new, more powerful allies, rebuild our numbers and then, and only then, will we be ready to reclaim our rightful place as a true empire again.

Remember, nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Long live the Empire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.