test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In JJtrek, Earth is doomed.

Comments

• deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    grylak wrote: »
    The Bell riots would have happened anyway. The original timeline had Bell surviving to the end, so if Sisko wasn't there, Bell wouldn't have intervened and got himself killed early. So they would play out properly in jjverse.

The timeship ended up in 1990's because it was going after voyager. So no voyager to go after, no accidental fall back to the 60's, so no computer revolution. At least, not the way portrayed in the episode. Maybe someone else could have instigated it somehow? Or it just followed the technical development our real world took?

First Contact.... I've gone cross eyed on this one. It's confirmed the Borg went back in time and were there because of the Enterprise episode. They sent a message to the Collective, which would take 200 years to get to. So the Borg would then come attack earth in JJtrek: The next generation. But First Contact could play out differently, with no one going back in time. Which would result in no Borg at first contact. So no one would send that message, so Borg wouldn't go after earth as a priority target. But the Borg themselves already altered the timelien when they went back. Q Who encounter were from Borg who did not know about earth or the federation, they were just buzzing about minding their own business. So all episodes of Trek after First Contact happen in an altered timeline anyway (at least as far as the Borg go).

Edith Keeler is an interesting point you raised. It's never established how she originally died, did it? So was it a pre-destination paradox, because if it was, then the timeline should implode. If it wasn't, then it should be ok. And since it was Bones going back and making it ok before Kirk and Spock went back, I think it wasn't a pre-destination. I think she died on that street regardless. So as long as Bones doesn't go through the Guardian, that should be ok.

1. Q will right that. No worries there.

2. She died on the streets. Apparently bones saved her in the altered timeline.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Q Who encounter were from Borg who did not know about earth or the federation, they were just buzzing about minding their own business. So all episodes of Trek after First Contact happen in an altered timeline anyway (at least as far as the Borg go).
    I believe it was said at the end of Q Who, that the Borg were already on a coarse for the Federation...

I view the ship's 'first' contact with the Enterprise-D as simply them confirming that that was indeed the Federation they were looking for... :cool:
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You guys are overthinking this.

Kirk will board and disable the whale probe and destroy it from the inside, while getting his shirt ripped in an intense gun battle with mutant whales with lazers on their head.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited October 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »

Kirk will board and disable the whale probe and destroy it from the inside, while getting his shirt ripped in an intense gun battle with mutant whales with lazers on their head.

you win this...
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »

Now now, we all know that the "lazors on head" thing only applies to STO dinosaurs and sharks...

If there are giant mutant whales, or any enemy in JJ-Trek land, their primary weapon is the lens flare.

Please, get it right... ;)
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    True, the Borg were already assimilating colonies on the Neutral zone at that point, weren't they? So one could say they were doing that because they recieved the message from Regeneration and were confirming the message contents, without actually creating an alternate timeline.

You know, I've never been able to reconcile that before now. Thanks!

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    your forgetting about transwarp beaming guys + with the sensors of the NCC 1701 they can sit at mars and just beam the whales to poor old enterprise

Based on STID, Sulu can always park the Enterprise in the Pacific Ocean, then open the shuttlecraft hangar bay doors to let the whales in. Then back to the 23rd century for more hijinks and wacky fun!

(Hey, if Spock can unleash a briefcase-sized device that freezes an entire supervolcano, isn't this plausible? ;) )
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,441 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    2. She died on the streets. Apparently bones saved her in the altered timeline.
    This is correct. In the original timeline, Edith Keeler was killed by a careless driver; when McCoy shot himself with cordrazine and went paranoid, he jumped backtime, then after Edith took care of him, he eventually recovered and saved her from the truck. After his own jump, Kirk had to make sure McCoy didn't interfere and TRIBBLE things up.

No trip to the Guardian while Bones is waving a hypospray around like some kind of medical samurai, no timeline alteration. (Hey, if they want to delete this timeline again, the whole ship could always go backtime, destroy the Nerada, and save the Kelvin and George Kirk...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Without Kirk and Spock learning of time-warp... Earth is doomed. Its oceans will be destroyed and they will all die.

damn you JJ! You killed Earth!

Im just going to leave this here
    edited October 2014
    True, the Borg were already assimilating colonies on the Neutral zone at that point, weren't they? So one could say they were doing that because they recieved the message from Regeneration and were confirming the message contents, without actually creating an alternate timeline.

You know, I've never been able to reconcile that before now. Thanks!

I can't remember if the lost colonies along the neautral zone were before or after Q put Picard and co in front of the cube, but I know it was strongly hinted that the Borg were responsible for the loss of the colonies...

I think when viewed as a complete arc, the Borg cycle works perfectly :cool:
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And this whole thread just goes to show why making time travel too easy makes everything bloody stupid.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited October 2014
    I can't remember if the lost colonies along the neautral zone were before or after Q put Picard and co in front of the cube, but I know it was strongly hinted that the Borg were responsible for the loss of the colonies...

I think when viewed as a complete arc, the Borg cycle works perfectly :cool:

Before. First mention of this is when they recover those folks from the 20th century frozen in space... a bit of a way from Earth... far more than what was capable of sublight ships.
    edited October 2014
    Before. First mention of this is when they recover those folks from the 20th century frozen in space... a bit of a way from Earth... far more than what was capable of sublight ships.

Ahh, that's right... Yup, the Borg were already on their way... :cool:
  • thejosephinethejosephine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Maybe the initial time travel by nero/spock wasn't just a simple teleport to the past......

For movie logic sanity, it is likely similar to the Flashpoint time travel. Travel method used caused ripples that TRIBBLE with events, making them happen or not happen at the right time.
  • kuntelkuntel Member Posts: 16,484 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Maybe the initial time travel by nero/spock wasn't just a simple teleport to the past......

For movie logic sanity, it is likely similar to the Flashpoint time travel. Travel method used caused ripples that TRIBBLE with events, making them happen or not happen at the right time.

Are you from Dragon Age: Inquisition?
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Alt Spock: Have you ever had dealings with Khan?
    Prime Spock: Yeah...he's a bad guy.
    Alt Spock: Kool. Talk to you later.
    Prime Spock: Um...hold on.....don't try to cross the galactic barrier, Don't trust Charlie Evans, Professor Robert Crater's wife Nancy is a monster that sucks salt out of people's body, when going to PSI 2000 tell everyone to keep their gloves on, when you are at planet Alpha 177 tell crewman Fisher to wipe his shirt off before beaming up, don't trust Harry Mudd, Dr Roger Korby is an android, if you encounter an old style planetary defense call...wear space suits on the beam down, Tantalus V has been taken over by an insane Dr Adams, create a bluff called the Corbormite Manuever, the actor is Kodos, it's a Romulan ship destroying outposts, don't take shore leave in the Omicron Delta system, take extra provisions when you take the Galileo out or better yet just don't go, Trelane is an all powerful brat, teach Kirk to make a make-shift gun using diamonds as bullets, don't use a tractor beam on that jet when you travel back to the 1960's, Finney is still alive hiding on the ship, Landru is a computer people thought were a god...you'll see that again, ignore Ambassador Fox and don't approach Eminiar VII, it's the plants on Omicron Ceti 3, the Horta is just protecting it's eggs, the Organians are powerful beings, Lazarus is fighting his alt reality self, make sure Bones doesn't accidentally inject himself and alter time...

Alt Spock: wow that's a lot.
    Prime Spock: That was just the first year...now about our brain....

Heh, reminds me strongly of that at 3:15 :Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B22Uy7SBe4
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2014

My personal head-canon is that it's a parallel universe that is very similar to the prime universe but not identical.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Someone mentioned Sisko not being in the Bell riots in JJ trek to which I disagree. Right up until the point when the Narada exited the black hole, it was all part of the prime verse, therefore Sisko and Bashier had to have been part of the new timeline.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
    edited October 2014
    Someone mentioned Sisko not being in the Bell riots in JJ trek to which I disagree. Right up until the point when the Narada exited the black hole, it was all part of the prime verse, therefore Sisko and Bashier had to have been part of the new timeline.
    Except that until Sisko went backtime, he wasn't a part of history yet - the original Bell was there then. It was Sisko's own interference that led to history being altered; his work ensured that it was altered as little as possible, ensuring events would unfold pretty much the same way they had before.

Unless the JJ timeline leads to Sisko being at DS9 at the same time as he was in the Prime timeline, he won't be going back and interfering in the first place.

And Mark, it's made explicit in the '09 movie that the JJ timeline is in a universe distinct from the Prime; to use the terminology from the TNG episode "Parallels", it's a universe with a different quantum frequency. The events of TOS may not even happen now; we already know they're starting their five-year mission a lot earlier than they had...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited October 2014

Alt Spock: wow that's a lot.
    Prime Spock: That was just the first year...now about our brain....

lol. Great finish. Two Voyager nacelles, way up. :cool:
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Except that until Sisko went backtime, he wasn't a part of history yet - the original Bell was there then. It was Sisko's own interference that led to history being altered; his work ensured that it was altered as little as possible, ensuring events would unfold pretty much the same way they had before.

Unless the JJ timeline leads to Sisko being at DS9 at the same time as he was in the Prime timeline, he won't be going back and interfering in the first place.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Scanners_head_explode_screenshot1_65.jpg
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited October 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    You think that's bad, go read David Gerrold's novel The Man Who Folded Himself, or Robert Heinlein's short, "All You Zombies-".
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    JJ Trek, much like TOS, started off with an expected runtime. Instead of a 5 year mission, he was planning on a 3 Movie Storyarc. So, I hold out hope that they'll give Prime Spock and Prime Kirk (if the rumors are true...) the chance to resolve the timeline and this alternate universe can just go *poof*.

Maybe they need to fix the timeline cuz the UFP is getting destroyed by some of the issues being brought up in this thread.

With the timeline resolved, the new populace of Trek Fans, generated by JJ Trek, will be more willing to watch new spinoffs from Prime Universe shows, which will also bring in more of those fans who won't watch because JJ &%%* all over the Prime Universe.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    edited October 2014
    My brain just exploded.
    edited October 2014
    My brain just exploded.

That's what? the third time this month? :P
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    bergins wrote: »
    JJ Trek, much like TOS, started off with an expected runtime. Instead of a 5 year mission, he was planning on a 3 Movie Storyarc. So, I hold out hope that they'll give Prime Spock and Prime Kirk (if the rumors are true...) the chance to resolve the timeline and this alternate universe can just go *poof*.

Maybe they need to fix the timeline cuz the UFP is getting destroyed by some of the issues being brought up in this thread.

With the timeline resolved, the new populace of Trek Fans, generated by JJ Trek, will be more willing to watch new spinoffs from Prime Universe shows, which will also bring in more of those fans who won't watch because JJ &%%* all over the Prime Universe.

That's not how movie studios work. The major consensus the General Audience has of Prime Trek is that it's boring...people sitting around a table saying tech gobbidy ****.
    The new movies take the premise of Star Trek and ramp up the action. Are those fans gonna come back and witness another crew of people sitting around a table talking about the Prime Directive? I doubt it.
    If we see a new series it will be closer to JJTrek than Prime Trek...because it generates more money.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That's not how movie studios work. The major consensus the General Audience has of Prime Trek is that it's boring...people sitting around a table saying tech gobbidy ****.
    The new movies take the premise of Star Trek and ramp up the action. Are those fans gonna come back and witness another crew of people sitting around a table talking about the Prime Directive? I doubt it.
    If we see a new series it will be closer to JJTrek than Prime Trek...because it generates more money.
    And to be honest.... by the standards of the time, TOS WAS exciting.

If Gene could have made it using the budget they have now, he probably would have made it much like Nu-Trek.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited October 2014
    That's what? the third time this month? :P

Nahh, more like the seventh. My sixth was earlier today when I was playing the mission with Neelix in DR when I noticed 25% of the Talaxians were drinking.
    edited October 2014
    Nahh, more like the seventh. My sixth was earlier today when I was playing the mission with Neelix in DR when I noticed 25% of the Talaxians were drinking.
    They believed Neelix was an important figure and the official ambassador to the Alpha Quadrant. Wouldn't you start drinking?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited October 2014
    And to be honest.... by the standards of the time, TOS WAS exciting.

If Gene could have made it using the budget they have now, he probably would have made it much like Nu-Trek.

Really? Huh...I remember reading that others in the production of Trek were sometimes at odds with him about the violence involved. I especially recall hearing that when "The Undiscovered Country" was being made, Gene, in his last year of life, was considered "interfering" and constantly trying to get the story changed to reduce or eliminate the violence. Perhaps I misunderstood, or he waffled a lot, or maybe his views became more pacifistic the older he got. But the recent films strike me as more violent than he ever wanted (at least what I've heard of him).