test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Real Head Scratcher

sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
I reached level 15 today in beams.

I checked out the cost to make the 360 beam array. It's around 12 million in very rare particles.

These beams sell between 7 million for one type and 14 million for another.

Either way, if I'm trying to make profit I'll just sell the particles for a 12 million profit instead of a loss or tiny gain.

If I want the item it's much better to buy it as you still have your particles for the upgrade system.

My point is (and has been for months now) that those very rare particles are way way way way too rare. I'm a reasonably dedicated player. If I made 3 or 4 of these beams I would be out of particles.
These particles need to be a guaranteed drop from their queue.

Also at level 15 I had something like a 30 percent chance to craft VR level 12 equipment. With 2 catalysts it went up to 60. I'm not sure I'd even risk trying that. Again, can't waste those particles.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The crafting system itself is a grind, and it assumes that you also spent the time to grind out all the needed materials and Dilithium. So by the time you reached Level 15, you are assumed to have already hoarded enough stuff to start cranking out Ultra Rare items. :rolleyes:
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lindaleff wrote: »
    The crafting system itself is a grind, and it assumes that you also spent the time to grind out all the needed materials and Dilithium. So by the time you reached Level 15, you are assumed to have already hoarded enough stuff to start cranking out Ultra Rare items. :rolleyes:

cranking? at 15 argonite each?? I have maybe 40 argonite across 4 characters with pretty extentsive efforts. That's not much cranking. Then zero left for upgrades?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Are we surprised used by this? I'm not.
    edited September 2014
    I also thought there was supposed to be a trait gained at level 15?

I see no evidence of it. Or is it 6 months from now at level 20?

It was portrayed to us that level 15 is what we were shooting for.

It seems you will need to be level 17 to reliably craft level 12 gear.

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014

The trait is in your regular traits... You need to activate it... Quite handy too.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Level 15 gives you permission to craft everything that is availible at max level currently, that's why it was possibly portrayed as the level to shoot for if you want to craft the top quality items.
    The trait is gained at level 20, as you assumed, as far as I'm aware. (my top crafter is at lvl 13 currently)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Level 15 gives you permission to craft everything that is availible at max level currently, that's why it was possibly portrayed as the level to shoot for if you want to craft the top quality items.
    The trait is gained at level 20, as you assumed, as far as I'm aware. (my top crafter is at lvl 13 currently)

No, the trait is unlocked at 15.

Also if you get to level 20, your chance of a critical success (which means producing three components for the price of one) goes up. That's very helpful for the components costing dilithium and very rare materials. There's nothing better than crafting three isolinear chips on a critical success instead of one.

As for market prices being so low.. that's because some players are stupid and selling at a loss, or they're skilled enough (and have bought enough +50 crafting skill boosters for zen) that they can regularly churn out critical successes on very rare components.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    As for market prices being so low.. that's because some players are stupid and selling at a loss, or they're skilled enough (and have bought enough +50 crafting skill boosters for zen) that they can regularly churn out critical successes on very rare components.

It's a no win game here. People get to 15, craft these things and then sell them at a loss which is stupid, specially considering the dilithium and all the mats required to churn out these items. It makes absolutely no sense.
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    It's a no win game here. People get to 15, craft these things and then sell them at a loss which is stupid, specially considering the dilithium and all the mats required to churn out these items. It makes absolutely no sense.

They're hoping for that big score, like an ultra rare RCS console with a [Turn] mod or an ultra rare science console with a particle generator mod. So they'll sink dilithium and energy credits into it at a slow but constant loss until they get something that'll make big bucks. It worked better in the first two weeks of crafting being released because fewer players meant less of a price war and you could still make a small profit from crafting an ultra rare without a good modifier on it. I made 500 mill EC that way.
    edited September 2014
    I found the trait. Not sure why I couldn't see it before. Anyway that's a 10th space trait for me so I'll take it. I'm glad to at least get something for reaching 15.

Still quite disappointed in the odds of crafting vr12

at level 13 I have over 60% chance to make purple 10.

Why at level 15 do I have 30% chance to to make purple 12?

Anyway I'm pretty much going to craft level 10 and upgrade for things like field emitter.

I note that you can not craft emitter amplifier? Or am I missing it somewhere?

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, I finally decided to give the revamped crafting system a shot on two of my toons. I figure it is not worth doing on my other three toons since that would simply make it too much of a grind. I guess I will get to level 15 sometime in January or February 2015 if I more or less do the daily project on a regular basis.
    edited September 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Well, I finally decided to give the revamped crafting system a shot on two of my toons. I figure it is not worth doing on my other three toons since that would simply make it too much of a grind. I guess I will get to level 15 sometime in January or February 2015 if I more or less do the daily project on a regular basis.

I have two schools at level 15, Eng is level 11 and projectiles at level 7.

Won't take long if you do it right.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I am skipping crafting.

At least until they add in breaking down components for materials and controlled or selective mods, both of which they said should be in there, but isn't because they rushed it out.

From my perspective the crafting should give you dil for leveing exactly like reputation does.

When it's down to them just wanting your dil there is no reason to kid yourself and pretend there is any gameplay.

It's just a glorified dilithum shop with an added horribly painful timegate.

Basically just a button to remove your dil from inventory over time, hilarious.

They didn't have time to let us craft mods we wanted but had no problem blocking people from leveling the same school in multiple slots 5 minutes after they released crafting.

All the time in the world to bother people but zero time to build something for the users.
  • grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The major problem with the R&D system and the new upgrade system coming out isn't the Dilithium cost but the stupid low drop rate of Purple materials and the even ridiculously low Crit Chance we'll have for Gold.

To me this is the first time in the game where the effort/price is not matching the chance to get what you want and this will turn and has turned a lot of people away from it.

I mean winning the lottery is astronomical but that only cost a dollar so the effort/cost is enough to suck people in so it's a system that works.

This R&D and rarity crit (coming soon) "carrot" needs to have a shorter stick.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited September 2014

My biggest concern is I can only find players available for a few queues, so for me, many of the rare particles will have to be bought...I haven't gotten to level 15 in any category yet, but my complaint from the beginning has been that while I understand WHY they made each queue drop certain particles to encourage everyone to play all the queues, that assumes, incorrectly, that everyone can find a team to run those queues.

There has to be a better/another way that doesn't cost much.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Dil is a huge problem but yeah probably the rare materials are an even bigger one in that they both godawful design decisions.

Like I said the whole concept of crafting in game has always been built around breaking down components which al rivera said they wanted in there.

And, you deciding what item you wanted to make, in our case the modifiers.

Both are at the core of what you call crafting gameplay and I see no problem why people can't just reject their current, temporary crafting suggestion and have them go fix it
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No, the trait is unlocked at 15.

Also if you get to level 20, your chance of a critical success (which means producing three components for the price of one) goes up. That's very helpful for the components costing dilithium and very rare materials. There's nothing better than crafting three isolinear chips on a critical success instead of one.

Ah thanks, that's good to know! So I'll be getting the traits I wanted sooner than a few more ages as I expected! :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    seems to me that the key here is patience.

specifically, patience until mid october.

barring the unique items, im looking not at crafting mk xii kit, but mk II.

guaranteed purple quality, but with 12 chances to upgrade quality on the way to mk IV, as opposed to just two with a very expensive to craft mk XII item.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    I found the trait. Not sure why I couldn't see it before. Anyway that's a 10th space trait for me so I'll take it. I'm glad to at least get something for reaching 15.

Still quite disappointed in the odds of crafting vr12

at level 13 I have over 60% chance to make purple 10.

Why at level 15 do I have 30% chance to to make purple 12?

Anyway I'm pretty much going to craft level 10 and upgrade for things like field emitter.

I note that you can not craft emitter amplifier? Or am I missing it somewhere?

Wait until you get to level 15. You need 200 skill to get an 11% chance at a UR console. Basically, you're forced to get to level 17 and have a VR doff or get to level 19 and have a white doff just to get a chance at UR. Either that, or pay up and get catalysts, but even then, you're playing the lottery.
    So item upgrades will be the way to go with these it seems.

By the way, what do the epic mk XIV RCS and sci consoles get as the epic mod?
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    I have two schools at level 15, Eng is level 11 and projectiles at level 7.

Won't take long if you do it right.

I am basing my estimate on the fact that I will need 630k XP to reach level 15 in a school. At 6k XP for the daily project (for each school) that means it will take me 105 days to level 15. If I play every single day (which I do not) then the earliest I can reach level 15 would be January 6th, 2015. So... estimate of Jan / Feb 2015 is accurate enough.
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I am basing my estimate on the fact that I will need 630k XP to reach level 15 in a school. At 6k XP for the daily project (for each school) that means it will take me 105 days to level 15. If I play every single day (which I do not) then the earliest I can reach level 15 would be January 6th, 2015. So... estimate of Jan / Feb 2015 is accurate enough.

projects start to crit on a regular basis at level 10 for 7k exp each even with the white doffs. I'm at level 12-13 on most all my toons by only doing the daily and I've missed a lot of days. It happens quicker than you think.
    edited September 2014

It'll accelerate as your chance to crit goes up.

But its certainly not an overnight thing.

I've had to be away from the game for a few weeks this summer, so I'm a bit behind the majority curve on R+D, but I figure by Xmas I'll be able to start making the fun stuff.

And, as mentioned earlier, I'm rather partial to the idea of crafting Mk II purple quality items and then upgrading them.

Cheaper initial outlay for the item and far less gambled to get the mods I want.

I can fiddle around, knocking out Mk II AP beam arrays until I get four with [ACC]x2. Everything after that is gravy. And twelve chances to get to epic quality is a lot better (and cheaper) that two.
  • dreadcalldreadcall Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My point is (and has been for months now) that those very rare particles are way way way way too rare. I'm a reasonably dedicated player. If I made 3 or 4 of these beams I would be out of particles.
    These particles need to be a guaranteed drop from their queue.

VR material prices right now:

dentarium 495k,
    plekton 400k,
    argonite 549k,
    radiogenic 73k,
    trellium 11k

You probably have more than enough trellium-k, as well as radiogenic particles if you did the crystal event. The problem isn't really the rarity, it's much rather the imbalance in queues being played. A system that dynamically increased rewards for less played stuff would probably help a great deal.
    edited September 2014
    dreadcall wrote: »
    VR material prices right now:

dentarium 495k,
    plekton 400k,
    argonite 549k,
    radiogenic 73k,
    trellium 11k

You probably have more than enough trellium-k, as well as radiogenic particles if you did the crystal event. The problem isn't really the rarity, it's much rather the imbalance in queues being played. A system that dynamically increased rewards for less played stuff would probably help a great deal.

Do we need those VR materials for the upgrade packs?

If so, which ones for what upgrades?
  • hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Wait until you get to level 15. You need 200 skill to get an 11% chance at a UR console. Basically, you're forced to get to level 17 and have a VR doff or get to level 19 and have a white doff just to get a chance at UR. Either that, or pay up and get catalysts, but even then, you're playing the lottery.
    So item upgrades will be the way to go with these it seems.

By the way, what do the epic mk XIV RCS and sci consoles get as the epic mod?

Here is a question for you if you are able to access Tribble. Can the VR versions of the enhanced RCS or particle field sci consoles be upgraded to UR quality? If so, do they gain one of the crafting traits like [Sen] or [Em] through this process?

If so, it seems like a very tricky workaround to leveling up ones crafting. But how else would one upgrade their Mk to XIV except through the upgrade process? Otherwise they would be stuck at Mk XII.
  • dreadcalldreadcall Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Do we need those VR materials for the upgrade packs?

If so, which ones for what upgrades?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1222091
    edited September 2014

Try making a few MK X's daily along with the 6k project.

Lets say, you can make 2x each project daily and the 6K one, and you have 5 slots (in the beginning you will have less, but you catch up fast).

6000 + (4*1800) + (4*1800) = 20400 daily.

630000 / 20400 = 30 days

so in 105 days, you can finish 3 schools like this instead, and be more than half through the 4'th... Not a single dil or catalyst spend.
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Its not a grind. If you can't grind for something. Like the OP said, they are just way,way,way,way too rare. The other day I ran the Borg stfs 6 times for very rare crafting materials. I did not get one. So I got frustrated and bought them off the exchange. I talked to a few ppl and came to the conclusion that most ppl are buyihg the 1000zen R&D pack and selling the items from it. Cryptic has made the drop rate of very rare R&D items so rare, to have any, you need to buy them. Unless of course your very lucky. They need to go back and redo the drop rate. I feel sorry for ppl who can't afford to spend money on the game.

P.S. You know what they say about ppl who use the word assume don't you?
  • hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    Its not a grind. If you can't grind for something. Like the OP said, they are just way,way,way,way too rare. The other day I ran the Borg stfs 6 times for very rare crafting materials. I did not get one. So I got frustrated and bought them off the exchange. I talked to a few ppl and came to the conclusion that most ppl are buyihg the 1000zen R&D pack and selling the items from it. Cryptic has made the drop rate of very rare R&D items so rare, to have any, you need to buy them. Unless of course your very lucky. They need to go back and redo the drop rate. I feel sorry for ppl who can't afford to spend money on the game.

P.S. You know what they say about ppl who use the word assume don't you?

Actually, I have had a few of the VR materials show up in the academy doff assignment. If you are able to do this on any alts, they can help add to your stockpile.
    edited September 2014
    I have been quite diligent. I have maybe:

40-50 argonite

30 plekton

30 dentarium

10 craylon

and then maybe 100 trellium and radiogenic.

1 isolinear chip and 2 or 3 of each other component.

I do the academy and romulan assistance mission religiously.

I have opened I would estimate 500 boxes from the stfs. Maybe as much as 700.

They may have recently changed the drop rate. What I do is open 3 cheap boxes. If I find no VR then I open a good box until I get a drop. Often I will get the trellium or radio in those first 3.

I would say the drop rate for those is easily 5 times higher (and I wouldn't be surprised to see this from the store pack as well). Though the drops for the request assistance tend to be the better materials for me.

Long story short, after this much of an effort I SHOULD have like 100 of each so I can actually, you know, make stuff.

I'm sure we will also see the VR prices shoot back up over a million each come Oct 14.