Options

Neelix Returns!

Comments

• Options
    morchadesmorchades Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    nynik wrote: »
    ---

[Seven is complaining to Tuvok about her untidy cabin mate, when Neelix passes by with a "tactical question"]
    Neelix: We're just about done rebuilding the internal security sensors, and we're ready to program the audio signal. Do you want it to say 'Intruder alert', or should we try something a little more dramatic, like 'Warning, intruder alert', or 'Intruders among us! Danger! Danger! Intruders among us!'
    Tuvok: 'Intruder alert' will suffice.
    Neelix: Yeah, go with the classic. Understood, sir.
    [walks away]
    Tuvok: [to Seven] And you believe *you* have difficulties.

---

Neelix: I'm not a fighter. I'm just a cook - who sometimes imagines himself a diplomat.
    Tuvok: On the contrary, Mr. Neelix. You are much more than that. You are perhaps the most resourceful individual I have ever known.

I wasn't a fan of Neelix (please don't use him in too many episodes), but I am really hoping we get an episode where Tuvok interacts with him. I love seeing Vulcans deal with annoying people.

I'm tempted to go roll up a Vulcan and level her up just for that, actually.
    neelix! woohoo!
    I reckon all fed captains should get a talaxian perma-boff a la tovan khev.

Absolutely not. Tovan is your penance for having the best costume and hair options in the game, and should not be inflicted on the rest of us.
  • Options
    coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    dwatt78 wrote: »
    yeah the second most worthless and annoying crew member on voyager with Kess being first. They both should have left together at the end of the pilot episode never to be heard from again. Neelix was an annoying goof with delusions of competence and Kess was so sickenly sweet as to be unbelievable as a character.

I blame the writers for both perceptions of Kes and Neelix. Janeway and Chakotay had similar issues themselves...
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    morchades wrote: »
    I wasn't a fan of Neelix (please don't use him in too many episodes), but I am really hoping we get an episode where Tuvok interacts with him. I love seeing Vulcans deal with annoying people..

Ethan and Tim were magic on the screen. It would be criminal not to give them scenes together in delta rising.
  • Options
    turdpuckturdpuck Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Next time you re-watch all 7 season of Voyager (recommended before the 14th) keep this in mind. Neelix was just trying to promote himself and be something that he wasn't in an effort to get recognition and praise and have a purpose. He was a fool that tried to be everything to make himself look important to people that didn't know better. Just remember that when you watch the episodes and scenes with him in them. It'll make it better and more entertaining when you know the truth.

YES!

He was a self-serving, sniveling, slimy, and lie-prone boob. The star trek equivalent of a pie-in-the-face. Why in the world you would want to resurrect this reviled character? I don't understand.

I guess you could get the voice actor on the cheap?

Neelix SUCKS. The fans of show hated him during its run, everybody knows that - the only character hated more in Star Trek, was Wesley Crusher.
  • Options
    phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    turdpuck wrote: »
    YES!

He was a self-serving, sniveling, slimy, and lie-prone boob. The star trek equivalent of a pie-in-the-face. Why in the world you would want to resurrect this reviled character? I don't understand.

Neelix SUCKS. The fans of show hated him during its run, everybody knows that - the only character hated more in Star Trek, was Wesley Crusher.

Wesley Crusher is coming in the next expansion pack as Captain Crusher of the USS Enterprise-G. They lost the Enterprise-F somewhere, something about upgrade module being too expensive I believe...
  • Options
    morchadesmorchades Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    phalanx01 wrote: »
    Wesley Crusher is coming in the next expansion pack as Captain Crusher of the USS Enterprise-G. They lost the Enterprise-F somewhere, something about upgrade module being too expensive I believe...

More likely Shon declined the upgrade because it interfered with his death wish.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    turdpuck wrote: »
    YES!

Well, to be fair, Ethan Phillips is actually a pretty good actor.

When the writers gave him more than a bad clown to work with, he did pretty darn well. I think it was "Jetrel" where he met the guy who killed his planet and was trying to undo it; in that episode he was actually a watchable, bearable character.

90% of the time, however, he was the most annoying incompetent imaginable.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Neelix became an interesting character when the writers actually started showing some talent and developed him into something other than an annoying rash, but early on I would mute the TV every time he looked like he was going to open his mouth. His character did evolve, he became much more likeable and reliable near the end of Voyagers run and I hope that's where the developers are going to be taking their cues from.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, Ethan Phillips is actually a pretty good actor.

When the writers gave him more than a bad clown to work with, he did pretty darn well. I think it was "Jetrel" where he met the guy who killed his planet and was trying to undo it; in that episode he was actually a watchable, bearable character.

90% of the time, however, he was the most annoying incompetent imaginable.

That is the episode, and I agree he did great work in that one. He was believably the same person but behaving very different.
  • Options
    z69evermoonz69evermoon Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Naomi Wildman seems to be missing in action?

Its not a true party until Scarlett Noel Pomers shows up.

Until then its just not ready for October.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Although Wesley Crusher is a hated character I actually hated Neelix more the only time he became likable was when he left or maybe thats because he was no longer on board lol.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Phillips really showed someone trying to hold back yet let it lose on that episode, also when Neelix had his lungs stolen he did the same. But Neelix was MEANT to be like he was, a hopeful dreamer and must make others happy kind of guy, I mean look what happened to his planet and sister.

Even if he did come off annoying.

Like I said, when Ethan Phillips got an actual quality script, he was an interesting if visually jarring character.

But he was on Voyager, where quality scripts were few, far-between, and mostly reserved for Janeway and Seven Of Sex Appeal. Which is a damn shame, because "Jetrel" really showed that if they'd done Neelix differently from the start, and maybe made him less eye-burning to look at, he would've been a pretty cool character.
  • Options
    ragestroke008ragestroke008 Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    We can't hide the character behind bad scripts. His STO character will be the same as the Voyager character. Continuity and whatnot. He sucked then, and he's going to suck now.
    Time is a funny thing; There is always too much of it. Except when you need it the most, then there is never enough.
  • Options
    trystrychtrystrych Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Naomi Wildman seems to be missing in action?

Its not a true party until Scarlett Noel Pomers shows up.

Until then its just not ready for October.

Maybe she'll be in some of the later missions. It would be fun, and I do they they plan to release a lot of story over time.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Phillips really showed someone trying to hold back yet let it lose on that episode, also when Neelix had his lungs stolen he did the same. But Neelix was MEANT to be like he was, a hopeful dreamer and must make others happy kind of guy, I mean look what happened to his planet and sister.

Even if he did come off annoying.

The stolen lungs episode creeped me out a bit. That one was good. Scary bad guys with horror movie looks and technology, combined with a future version of an iron lung hell... I probably shouldn't have watched it for the first time at 1:30 in the middle of the night. It wasn't meant to be scary, but my dads a doctor and my mom a hospice nurse, I've seen and heard of too many gross medical disasters. It hit close to home.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think the whole point to the character of Neelix is that here's a relatively normal guy (for an alien) who's not the heroic type, who gets thrown into this situation that even the highly trained Starfleet types are having trouble adapting to. He's got a young woman that he feels responsible for, he's trying to protect her and Voyager is his best chance to do that.

Yes, he wanted Janeway to find him indispensable. But he wasn't completely self-serving, either, and he clearly wanted to make himself useful.

That's the serious side of the character. The joke, of course, is that Neelix was rarely all that useful. But again, he's not Starfleet or Maquis. Not remotely military. Next to many of these people, he's below average. And his insecurity shows.

I haven't watched the entire series (yet), but based on what I have seen it's clear that Neelix is doing his best to be something more than a liability to the crew. The blog seems to highlight the fact that Neelix was able to use his experiences aboard the Voyager to be very useful to the Talaxian colony.

The real shame of the character is that he seems to have been created to be comedy relief... but the Doctor turned out to be funnier. I'm not saying that Neelix is a great character. The writers rarely tried to go any deeper than a superficial caricature of an alien.

But then there's Tuvix.

The first time I heard about that episode, I thought it was the dumbest thing I ever heard. I still think it was a dumb premise, that a flower could cause a transporter accident that mixes the DNA of two different alien species and preserves their memories in one being.

But I eventually watched it. And you know, the character worked. He was the character that Neelix should have been, but I don't think Ethan Phillips could have played him like that. I was almost sorry to see him go, but even if Neelix would have been no great loss we had to have Tuvok back.

Now, though? They had a chance to write Neelix as that normal guy in an extraordinary situation... that likeable character with a deep personality whom perhaps Neelix should have been all along. Not just a bad joke that never came off the way it was intended to.

I hope that's the Neelix that Delta Rising re-introduces us to.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I was going to post something negative.

But instead I'll say this gives me hope that Cryptic will eventually hire Wil Wheaton to reprise his role as (Captain?) Wesley Crusher.

Or even better, Max Grod
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Whoo! Lon Suder gets mentioned!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    gammadelta2gammadelta2 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Neelix has a chance for redemption here. His character was pretty flat in the show. A filler basically when things needed to get done. The blog itself explained that when they listed his qualifications. He did it all.

I hope that they really play his character right. Make him as interesting as some of the others.
    Good luck Cryptic. Voyager was an awesome series, but you have tough work ahead of you. I hope you do it well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    quistraquistra Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I hope we can shoot him.

As good an actor as Ethan Phillips is, Neelix was always my least favourite Voyager character. He's the Jar Jar Binks of Star Trek.
    The artist formerly known as PlanetofHats.
    Actual join date: Open beta, 2009ish.
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    eagledraco wrote: »
    But instead I'll say this gives me hope that Cryptic will eventually hire Wil Wheaton to reprise his role as (Captain?) Wesley Crusher.

From what I've read here, Wheaton has refused to reprise that role. He'll come back as another character, practically any other character, but he won't reprise his role as Wesley.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    CAN'T WAIT FOR NEELIX TO RETURN!!!!*

* said by no one. Ever.

/Respect to Ethan Phillips, though.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Also, as much as I know the Beltran has some antimostiy towards his character and the show, they should have a super old version of him high on peyote in the badlands or something.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    having played tribble so far, i think people will be interested in neelix story from what ive seen. so only a few weeks left now and everyone will find out.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Also, as much as I know the Beltran has some antimostiy towards his character and the show, they should have a super old version of him high on peyote in the badlands or something.

As a person who also hates Beltran I would like to destroy any ship he is in.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]