test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are there any other 1 avatar people out there?

Comments

• Options
    sicjebsicjeb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have a main, and 14 other alts.

I only do rep on my main, the rest are used for doffing (contraband, haggle, NADORC, cell ship doffs), and for feature episodes such as the recent CCE.
    Got a bucket load of dil from that running on all characters.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have multiples myself, though none identical, on fed I have one each of a tac, sci and eng.... and then a tac kdf and a tac rom. And each have their playstyle and ship which is somewhat different.

Rep grind isn't really tedious.... with sponsorship can max out rep on a toon easily in 20 days.
    My main toon at this point is Movar, my Rom tac, tend to do all the reps on her first, and then gets sponsorships for the other four.

Dusted off my old FEd Tac to finally push him up on rep before DR, 10 days ago..... he's currently at T3 CC, Nukara and Omega... and T2 Dyson and Rom (though he will hit T3 on those two tomorrow, and T4 Omega the day after).
  • Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Good question. And yup, I've only hard one character, a Fed tactical, since I started in May 2012. I've had the same crew/ship since then as well.
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    this is why when an earlier thread asked how many alts players have my answer was I don't have any alt characters I have 3 main characters.

I like that. I have 5 characters. Every class on Fed, a Klink and a Rom and they all get the full treatment. But, at a pace that is comfortable for me. My newest character for example, was started well over a year ago, but is just now getting top end gear.
    tekehd wrote: »
    Rep grind isn't really tedious.... with sponsorship can max out rep on a toon easily in 20 days. My main toon at this point is Movar, my Rom tac, tend to do all the reps on her first, and then gets sponsorships for the other four.

I do the same. Sponsorship helps, as does having already established characters, that can send resources to fledgling characters. I've been around since F2P launched. My 5 characters have come at different points along the way, but I just recently finished the last of the current Reps for them all.

Which, of course means I don't have a lot of the Rep gear yet. But it all comes in due time. While I do sometimes get caught up in the grind (like the recent CE event. Who doesn't want 50K Dil? :)), mostly I just do whatever seems fun at the time.
    I dont see the point of going though it al again and as many people pointed out trying to max out multiple toon with all the grinding involved is tedious to say the least .

The point for me was seeing all of the content, like all of the unique episode missions for Klingons and Romulans, as well as experiencing the game through the eyes of the various classes and factions. Can things feel grindy at times? Sure. Switching between characters is one way I keep things fresh.

As for the tedious grind? Only when I let it be.
  • Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I went a long while with just one toon but now I have six. After a while I just wanted to try different play styles (sci and eng) so I rolled a few new toons. Then I wanted a klingon then a romulan. All six have their rep completed, though I never hurry through it.

After the content that has followed LoR my desire to play has declined and I am more or less back to only playing my first toon again, but I still switch ships a lot.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I keep seeing posts about how people have multiple ships crews and avatars . I have been here since just before the romulan expansion came out and i still only have one ship ( Fleet Chimera) and one crew . I dont see the point of going though it al again and as many people pointed out trying to max out multiple toon with all the grinding involved is tedious to say the least .

So am I some how unique in this game for sticking to one ship and one crew?

Side note those who choose to have multiples really shouldn't complain or blame cryptic for the grind ... your choosing to do it so complaining about something thats not mandatory and your choosing to do as Spock would say thats is not logical

I had started out as a FED/SCI/MED first. Then added ROM/TAC. After a few months the KDF/TAC. I only need 3 so I can enjoy what the 3 factions have to offer in this game. It's a player choice. You can pick your favorite faction to be in.

Anyway all 3 with their BOF is a huge family! ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    One and will never make an alt. Grinding for one is bad enough.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,864 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have Drummond, my first toon who is sci,
    before Anne got her own account, she had Deety, who is probably the best toon on the account,
    3.14159 of Pi, to round out the carreers, and the "next gen" who come and go. currently Yoda is the best one I have there, and Kamehameha because i watch way too much Hawaii 5-O

I have a Gorn and orion KDF and a rommie.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Three Fed humans

One Fed alien (trying to go for a human/vulcan hybrid)

One Fed ally Rom.

Three KDF Orions

One KDF ally Rom

and on KDF ally Reman.

All to 50, most with atleast 2 completed rep systems.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have multiple avatars to experience different aspects of the game and also to try different strategies. I play all three factions; 2 Fed toons, 2 KDF toons and 1 Romulan too.

I like the secondary storyline in Romulan faction, however, I am not crazy about the -40 power penalty from the singularity core so that Romulan ships can have singularity abilities. I get around that issue by using the free Ambassador Retrofit cruiser, however, it is not a science ship for my Rom Sci toon so I cannot use many sci abilities. I am attempting to get around that issue by slowly converting my Ha'nom into a torpedo ship, but I need to do the reps for the appropriate torpedoes that I want and I also need to get the proper Doffs to make a torpedo ship a viable option.

The Ha'nom will serve as a testbed for possible future torpedo ships. However, I am unsure if I will create a second Rom toon.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have Drummond, my first toon who is sci,
    before Anne got her own account, she had Deety, who is probably the best toon on the account,
    3.14159 of Pi, to round out the carreers, and the "next gen" who come and go. currently Yoda is the best one I have there, and Kamehameha because i watch way too much Hawaii 5-O

I have a Gorn and orion KDF and a rommie.

Main character is i of e and Romulan is i of pi. Have a few bridge officers that use a similar naming system. Just too bad that we can't use the symbol for pi.
  • Options
    pwesuricatapwesuricata Member Posts: 49 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2014
    I have 5 alts at max level (and a few others at various other levels):-

• 1 Fed Tactical (Fleet Defiant)
    • 1 Fed Science (Vesta)
    • 1 Fed Engineer (Odyssey)
    • 1 Klingon Science (Neghvar)
    • 1 Romulan Engineer (Valdore)

My primary char is my Fed tactical, I generally don't play the other alts, I just created them to experiance the content from different perspectives. The KDF char for example was leveled up purely though PVP back when the game launched (and considering I suck at PVP, that was quite an achievement!) :-)

When Delta Rising goes live I'll probably level them all up to 60, but I'm only focusing my crafting and reputations on the 1 char :-)
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I know several people who only play one character, but they all have an alt or three just for farming events, storage, contraband turn-in, etc.

I have 11 characters so far. 9 of them are level 50. I'll level them up to 60 one or two at a time.
  • Options
    dirlewangerdirlewanger Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You are not alone OP, I only have one Fed toon. After maxing that one out, i eventually created a KDF toon to see what that was like. i never cared much about playing that side once i realized cryptic doesn't really care about the KDF. when roms came out i didn't even bother since they were a half-assed faction by design. STO is simply not interesting enough to play more than once as Fed, and not worth playing as other factions even once, imho.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have 15 toons and room for three more. 7 have finished the reps so far. There was a bigger reason for more toons prior to ship swapping and loadouts since I like flying different ships for different career paths. I have been playing since a few months after the game released.

I have 9 FED (3 each career), 3 Rommies (1 each career), 3 KDF (1 each career). Usually I end up making a new character to fly a certain ship or group of ships. Each career path is really a different play style and of course each faction has totally different stories. I have 50 different c-store ships, cell ship, fleet ships, and have unlocked different playable races.

Another big reason for multiple characters is to increase my dilithium refining capacity on my account and I belong to different fleets with different toons.

I don't complain about the grind, I think they have found a good balance on the rep tokens for alts. As for story I think you should have to play a new toon through it to experience the different classes as you level. The only area that needs to be addressed still for grind is the small fleets issue, but with buying from larger fleets, its kind of an unspoken work around.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I used to have just the one, a FED Engineer. I then experimented somewhat and have had as many as seven. I am presently at a comfortable three characters, a FED Engineer, a FED Science, and a KDF Engineer. Three characters are more than enough for me; they're all at #50 and have at least two rep projects complete each (with my main having completed them all).

My main (FED ENG) has three ships, my KDF has two, and my FED SCI has just the one. I may invest in the Oddy & Vesta bundle at some point, but I wish to try the bundles out first, so until I get that option (tribble) I'll be saving my zen. I've no interest in these new T6 ships either.

I have tried, and tired of a Romulan. I'll probably try a Cardassian if/when, but only for the story. I refuse to put any more time or funding into a fraction of a faction. It's not how I wish to invest in the game.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2014

• 1 Fed Science (Vesta)

My primary char is my Fed tactical, I generally don't play the other alts, I just created them to experiance the content from different perspectives. The KDF char for example was leveled up purely though PVP back when the game launched (and considering I suck at PVP, that was quite an achievement!) :-)

When Delta Rising goes live I'll probably level them all up to 60, but I'm only focusing my crafting and reputations on the 1 char :-)

Yeah, I tend to just level rep first on one, and then use sponsorship for the others to make it easy. As far as crafting.... my Fed Eng, Genestra is the only one I am leveling through the crafting system.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    1 toon player here. I know I'm missing out on content and I'm okay with that. I play Foundry missions to compensate. :)
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I keep seeing posts about how people have multiple ships crews and avatars . I have been here since just before the romulan expansion came out and i still only have one ship ( Fleet Chimera) and one crew . I dont see the point of going though it al again and as many people pointed out trying to max out multiple toon with all the grinding involved is tedious to say the least .

Side note those who choose to have multiples really shouldn't complain or blame cryptic for the grind ... your choosing to do it so complaining about something thats not mandatory and your choosing to do as Spock would say thats is not logical

While I have a bunch of alts, they are fairly relegated to not doing much, they have very basic gear, no reps for the most part, etc.

My original "Main" was my Fed Sci captain, but I switched to a Rom Tac Captain when LoR came out, and he is my most developed character, with all the reps, the best gear, etc. I had also leveled a Fed Tac and Fed Eng just to see the difference in classes, same with a Rom Sci and Reman Eng, and I have a Klingon Tac I made after they got their revamped 1-50 story, as well. They pretty much don't make an appearance unless there is an even like the recent CE event for farming up some extra Dil.

I don't think you are that unique, though never trying another specialization or race story at all might be a bit more unique, I would say that despite my sizable alt collection, its not really that hard to level an alt to see the story, I'm probably more like you as a player than I am a player who is really dedicated to all their alts and has to have all the bells and whistles on them all.

I find the grind complaints about STO pretty interesting, I suspect a lot of people that think STO is a grind haven't every played another MMO, STO is by far the least grinding MMO I've ever played. If STO is heavy in any area its time gating, not grinding. A good comparison is WoW Reputations vs STO reputations. Sto Reputations can be maxed out in 35ish days by doing 1 15 min mission a day. WoW reputations take as long or longer, and require doing dozens of missions taking at least 60-90 mins a day to do so.
  • Options
    jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited September 2014

3 toons, all level 50, one from each faction. but i generally only use my fed
    27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• Options
    makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Heck yeah, I have one, just one captain and that is it. I saw the game launch content when I started this guy, so I have no idea what the new player experience is now, I know it has changed some... ...and I don't want to re-level up another character either. There just isn't any replay value here.
    -Makbure
  • Options
    schmedickeschmedicke Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have 3 but between work, family, and new grinds I only have time for one. The other two are still sitting at level 12.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I stick to just 1 character. I mean, I plan to finish my KDF alt, but purely because I love Klingons, and by time my main character was created, I didn't know Star Trek & the awesomeness of KDF, and joined Federation to play with friend.

But, overall, I'm also 1-character 1-ship/crew, because I feel that's how I can enjoy the game the most.

PS: I fly Fleet Chimera as well. <3:D
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have over 36 characters across 5 (yes FIVE) accounts. Some of those are purely for RP purpose if I ever desired but I do play on 4 consistently.

When I was playing City of Heroes, I had the same number but only on two accounts. :)
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've one toon for each faction. Main used to be Fed but after discovering FDCs I went Klink and never went back.

Created a rom toon just to experience the rom story line and ship play styles.
    Now my Fed and Rom are there just for doffing and dili basically.

makbure wrote: »
    no idea what the new player experience is now, I know it has changed some... ...and I don't want to re-level up another character either. There just isn't any replay value here.

Now I have to disagree with you. (Presuming you're a Fed) KDF and Rom story arcs, from lvl1 through to something like at least lvl 10 maybe 20 or higher have unique story content that you haven't seen or played yet.

Even if you only rank up to around lvl20, each is worth 1 toon to experience it with.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited September 2014

• 1 Fed Science (Vesta)

My approach is similar. I primarily play a Benzite Engineer, and he's the only character I worry about being fully outfitted.

I maintain a Liberated Borg Human Tactical, a Benzite Scientist, a Reman (Fed-aligned) Engineer, an Orion Engineer, a Liberated Borg Klingon Tactical, and a Joined Trill (KDF) Scientist to play when the mood hits me.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    strictly speaking I have only 1 as well.
    I ofc have some alts for grinding purposes, but I have only one char, that I play with (since f2p launch). as it is a sci, I always feel, I wanna change to tac, but then I have so many uniqe things, and so much investment, that it would take months, before I would feel comfortable on a new char (months of hard grind!).

so mine is more of a lazyness, but I dont feel like I wanna change either

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • Options
    xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for all the responses so far i don't feel so alone now :)
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited September 2014

• 1 Fed Science (Vesta)

Hey Mr. Suricata; now that you've been hired by Cryptic/PWE - any chance of getting an 'official' updated 'Master' ship chart? I mean, there only what? 400 playable ships these days? ;)

(Congratulations - and I assume you wanted a job with Cryptic - as this was the first time I noticed you posting with a pwe forum name.):eek:
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."