test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are there any other 1 avatar people out there?

xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
I keep seeing posts about how people have multiple ships crews and avatars . I have been here since just before the romulan expansion came out and i still only have one ship ( Fleet Chimera) and one crew . I dont see the point of going though it al again and as many people pointed out trying to max out multiple toon with all the grinding involved is tedious to say the least .

So am I some how unique in this game for sticking to one ship and one crew?

Side note those who choose to have multiples really shouldn't complain or blame cryptic for the grind ... your choosing to do it so complaining about something thats not mandatory and your choosing to do as Spock would say thats is not logical
Post edited by xblazex#7666 on

Comments

• Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    at the least you're missing out on a lot of mission content by not having a klink and rommy character. and it shows other sides of the story.
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've got 3 characters I regularly use pretty much evenly (1 for each faction)

I've got 2 'alts' which have been long abandoned, made to play through the game with mates who quickly gave up.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Also different play styles as a tac has different abilities than a sci or eng
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    george021898george021898 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    That's me. I don't see it worth my time to grind high level gear for so many characters.
    As of now, I have my Odyssey on my Fed engineering captain (I sometimes take my DSD for a spin) and a Romulan and Klingon that I barely touch.
  • Options
    helgmornhelgmorn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I run multiple toons for the races because..

1) Each class has his or her own ship, hardly ever change ships, generally makes the grind less this way as I dont need every single thing for every single character,. I pick a play style for a toon, and set it up accordingly acquiring only what I need for that Ship and Style

2) More Toons = More Di-Lithium. I refine 32k a day without it feeling a grind due to each toon being specific and focused on upgrades for each toon.

The only ship I regularly change to on my toons from their default is the Constitution freebie which I absolutely love to bits :)
  • Options
    lyran2lyran2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So when I first played STO (prior to season 6) I had 3toons, 2 fed and a klingon.

Since comming back to STO, I consolidated as much EC, Dilithium, equipment, doffs and boffs as i could, scrapped the rest for EC and sent it all to a new Fed Tac toon. I've now got that toon to 50.

I've only recently started a Fed Sci toon. Mostly to try something new.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think you are missing out on alot of fun.

Engineers, Tacticians and scientists all have different abilities and play styles. You would probably quite enjoy replying alot of the content with a different play style.

If you are not interest in that, did you know you can switch ships on the fly now? so if you are in space, simply choose an alternative ship and it will warp back in with you in it.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I only focus on one character, others are there for a change of pace, dilithium farming, boff training, doffing, etc. I don't play them often and only "progress" with them when my time and resources are flexible.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I only USE 1..., at a time.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    billdunbilldun Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I have a single ship and crew as well. Too much grind to do it multiple times.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sort of. I tend to make a single main over and over instead of lots of alts.

Once I get to endgame and I have a few sets and ships under my belt I get bored, so I delete it all, go on a break and come back with a new toon when the mood takes me. Usually by then the content is enjoyable again, and chances are there are new things to do as well.

But when I do play, it's usually just the single toon.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have enough Characters to experience every Career and faction path

But I really only use the one character most of the time
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    and as many people pointed out trying to max out multiple toon with all the grinding involved is tedious to say the least

It is, which is why I don't try to max out my alts.

They all have drop, exchange, or mission reward gear and free ships, and I don't give them lockbox gear or traits (for the most part, with a few exceptions here and there), or C-store ships that I purchased for my main character that I can also reclaim on my alts. None of them have their reputations maxed out (although a few have some individual reps finished as I randomly slot projects over the long term when it's convenient). My alts are there mostly for having some fun alternate play styles (my main is a Fed tac, my alts are Fed eng and KDF/RR sci) and seeing the other faction story content.. oh yeah and storage space.. alt bank accounts ftw.

Out of my entire fleet I think we only have a single active player that only uses one character.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There was a time where I wanted to make alts based on one crew. So original dude, alt would be if captain didn't die and everyone still served under him/her, science man/lass dude dude man became a captain instead of main man dude, ect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have one account, 8 characters + 1 Foundry Char (retired, because I can't deal with all the i*iots who can't manage to even find a Clearly marked system in sirius).

Not having multiple chars on the same account won't help reduce the grind... Only knocking some sense into cryptic would, and that won't happen, so...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Side note those who choose to have multiples really shouldn't complain or blame cryptic for the grind ... your choosing to do it so complaining about something thats not mandatory and your choosing to do as Spock would say thats is not logical

So people should shut up about a problem that doesn't concern you because you play less than a third of the game?:confused:
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So people should shut up about a problem that doesn't concern you because you play less than a third of the game?:confused:

I agree, not experiencing the two other classes in the game seems a bit mental.

The addition of the Romulan faction added a whole new play style to the game too, I have never had so much fun, the romulan ship 'power bar' system is very entertaining.
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I only have one character and one crew. Tried rolling a klink a few times just for the game play but never stuck to it.

I just wish I could find a ship that suits me best, though the Feet Excelsior is pretty close (wish it looked like another classic ship though whose name shan't be mentioned.)

Dunno how others find the time to run so many...
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't know if it counts, but I only have 1 per faction.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    hpgibbshpgibbs Member Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    People are different, that's to say the least. Many people have different ships for different mission types, or what they're trying to do. Now on the other hand, someone in my fleet, instead of getting a new ship for his character, and setting a new build on said character, he actually creates a new toon for each ships he has.
    The Grate Lorde Cheesus
    Ship build coordinator for The Breakfast Club http://WWW.TBCSTO.COM
    Doesn't Owe Anyone EC
    Kirks Prot
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    From what I can tell (and just from general observation of my two fleets), most of our members have more than one character, in some cases for variation, in others for dilithium/EC grinding etc.
    But you are not alone OP in only having one character by far. There are still a not insignificant number of members across both fleets (about 900 members in all) that play one character and one character alone happily.
    On the flipside I know someone in our fleets that has 15 characters and is one of the biggest fleet contributors with all of them, the mans a machine...
    Some people are happy with just one character (I personally have four but only had one for the first 8-9months or so) and others are happier with armies.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have one avatar!

Characters however, are a different story. I have 44 of those.
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    How do you know you don't like Sci or Eng without trying them out. Then of course you realize tac is god. Same with races, KDF plays different than Fed, Roms are better than either and total cheese as FED Roms.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    in a way I agree with you, I have 3 characters because I like to experience all the different story lines and facet's of the different cultures and although much is the same there are subtle differences in each but I also agree that having too many characters can be counter productive at times.
    therefore when I started playing I made the decision to only have 1 character from each faction and play each one in equal measure and most days I manage to play all 3 characters and do what I want on them all, sometimes this does not quite work out but if I end up missing something out its not anything of any great importance plus if there is something special going on I forgo any normal gameplay in favour of the special but make sure I do the special still with the 3 characters.

this is why when an earlier thread asked how many alts players have my answer was I don't have any alt characters I have 3 main characters.

cant really see where you are coming from only having one ship, its nice to have a change once in a while so change of outfit, change of ship it all adds to the experience for me but flying a different ship just like wearing a different uniform does not alter the outcome of the day it just creates a change of scene, a bit of veriety, a fresh view to look at.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It seems like lots of people have one character per faction including me. Although I did run an experiment on one character about leveling to 50 as a cowardly pacifist. My conclusion was that it was extremely painful and I would not have been able to do it without the duty officer system. Although, I do not consider them as an alt.
  • Options
    captainzheicaptainzhei Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have tried starting new characters. Klingons, Romulans, even other Feds. Ultimately, I end up deleting them. I can only really focus on one character.

I failed to care about the Klingon and Romulan storylines, and the ships were too ungainly for my play style. I'm just not that into sneaking around with a cloaking device. I don't know why people are ramping up and down about Feds not having a cloaking device. I rarely ever used it as a Klingon or a Romulan.

I'm aware I am losing out on multiple rewards for things like the Crystalline Cataclysm, but I do get one reward, so I do not consider it a loss.

That, and I just don't have enough time to cycle characters.
    ==========================================
    Captaincy, Excelsior-Class U.S.S. Bianca Beauchamp NCC-99947-F

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Honestly I cant get myself to play beyond Lt Cmdr on any Alts or the Other Factions (ROM/KLINK) equivilants.

They end up mothballed much like many of my ships.

The truth is. I dont have the time, patience or urge to create multiple alts and then spend god knows how many hours on each one leveling them up and getting them situated like my Primary. And this isnt considering Events like the Winter/Summer/CC that require entirely too much time for me to spare....It would be more work then recreation at that point.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've got three characters. Fed tac, KDF engi, Fed Rom sci. Why kill myself trying to do more?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have 1 main and 7 alts to grind mats and Dil to help support that main. I don't think I could afford more than 1 toon for actual playing. The costs would be staggering.