test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Yet Another Rep. It will never End!

2»

Comments

• redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well this IS an MMO. The point of the genre is to waste thousands of hours doing mind numbing tasks for pixal rewards that have no real value or glory to them.

I wish I'd have known that back when this game first came out. I wouldn't have wasted so much time and energy on it. But I have and with this new rep grind, I'm thinking I'm better off not not playing this game at all.

[SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    What are you, the 25th Century NRA representative? :D

maybe he/she is! You got a problem with that? :P
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    You have a choice to do them or not. So if your burned out from them. Its your fault for doing them to that point.

As for me, I don't mind the Reps. As long they have story progression/ cutscenes. So in all, I only done the Dyson and Romulan Reps. As the others don't have story progression.

and that is why you don't understand the point here. As you haven't done all of the reps. We are talking about having to do this mindless grind on multiple characters. And it's not fun. It's dull and bad game design.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yes, it will never end....At least until they close the game down. Its a fricken MMO they have to have something for people to work on. Its not like a dungeon crawl so they can't get that creative on raids/dungeons, unless they expand ground combat to be like WOW.
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    We have reputation. Champs has UNITY missions. WoW has this year's gear. Every MMO I've ever seen has some sort of grind like this.

And let's be honest with ourselves here - if there wasn't a rep grind, some of us (present company possibly excluded) would tear through the new content in a matter of days, then once again start complaining that there's nothing to do.

Exactly

People complain, but they still get on with it and try to do it as fast as possible. Event that rewards ship after 14 days? Ok, let's really do it every 20h, so I can get it in 10 (not doing the math, just an example). 10 days too much, spend lobi or whatever. Yey, I have a ship before everyone else! A week later? Oh I'm bored, I'm tired of this ship and there's nothing to do...

I've learned to pace myself. Play a bit here and there. When a new rep comes out not doing it on all the chars at the same time. Do an STF here with a toon, going to the Ground battlezone with another one there. Play the storyline on one that got to 50 before even getting to the middle of the story, and so on...
    I enjoy the game and it doesn't feel a chore.

Granted, when there's an event, I usually do "work" for it, but only if I feel like. I skipped the whole winter event, for instance.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,494 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Yea... I just don't understand this whole "MUST... HAVE... NOW..." shtick. I get there when I get there. *shrug* Its not the destination that matters. Its the journey.

So... I advocate patience Grasshopper.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    wow... will we have a topic like this every time?

Is someone forcing you to do the rep? Gun to your head?
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My only problem with new reps is they never do anything new with it. Do the same missions over and over until you hate them, fill buckets, wait, repeat.

Its their favorite system it seems. I wish they'd spice it up some, or find something else to run into the ground.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    redheadguy wrote: »
    and that is why you don't understand the point here. As you haven't done all of the reps. We are talking about having to do this mindless grind on multiple characters. And it's not fun. It's dull and bad game design.

I understand it far better than the one fussing about it.

They fuss how bad the grind is. I guess they never had one of WoW's where you had to do the same mission each and everyday for a month or so just to get the Rep done. As you got up on level you might get 1 more mission added. So they no nothing about what a real grind is. Been there done it many of times. To the point where I loath them.

They fuss how on how many rep grinds there are. Most your MMOs has them. They are created to keep the ones who burn through content busy and to give you nice rewards. I take it they should give you the stuff without doing something? Are players getting that lazy in today's time? "Gimme gimme my elite gear, I want it now. And I don't want to play the game." Even some MMOs you have to grind group played content just to get a Dungeon set or Raid set. That is a grind as well as you have to do them daily to get your rep or marks up for purchase. So that is a grind as well. Guess what been there done that many of times as well. I used to have several characters with the dungeon/raid sets.

Lastly they all are optional. You don't have to do any of them, and your not forced to do them. My self has done the Romulan Rep 3 times, each one on my main 3 characters, Dyson twice and going again on the third. Not to mention I have another 2 characters coming up that will make 6 times through them both. But of course this is all optional.

Yes I completely understand the OP, you and others. You don't want to play the game, cry, and want gear for nothing.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I wish I'd have known that back when this game first came out. I wouldn't have wasted so much time and energy on it. But I have and with this new rep grind, I'm thinking I'm better off not not playing this game at all.

All games are a grind, so don't play them. I saw a friend playing a handheld game. Guess what, he was grinding for the elite gear to fight the final boss. He had to go around and collect 20 monsters from each place on the map for points. And this is a Playstation game.

Can I have your stuff when you leave since gaming isn't working out for you.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Alas, I expected a new rep so was mentally prepared. I wouldn't worry too much. Take your time with it. Some of the gear looks good but the rep traits themselves do nothing for me. As long as you don't come at it like a chore and do it in your own time, I think you'll find it bearable.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited September 2014

It'd be bad game design if this were a single player action RPG. But for an MMO, it's a staple. MMOs are not meant to be one and done engagements. They want your time.

If you're too busy to play, it's no big deal though. That's what the console and mobile markets are for. Play on the go or run quick ten minute matches in your spare time.

Gaming is not about being bound to a single format. The industry has adapted to your needs. You just have to indulge them.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hravik wrote: »
    My only problem with new reps is they never do anything new with it. Do the same missions over and over until you hate them, fill buckets, wait, repeat.

Its their favorite system it seems. I wish they'd spice it up some, or find something else to run into the ground.

The thing is, without the reputations, do you know what would be different?

You don't get to fill the buckets, and there is no reason to repeat missions. But the number of missions would not magically increase. The time and effort required for a new mission is much higher than the time required to create the additional reputation track and assorted gear.

MMOs have these "grindy" elements because if they just give you missions, people don't play the games enough and leave. They don't pay subscriptions or do micro-transactions, and so the next batch of mission cannot be made due to lack of funding.

Think of the typical single player games that come out these days, and how fast you can get through so many of them. For one or two weekends worth of content you pay 40+ $.

But there is a positive side to all of this. Many games actually have interesting gameplay. But once the story is over,you still often lose the motivation to replay without additional incentives. Stuff like gear grind can provide such incentive. And so you keep enjoying the gameplay you like.

But once you realize the gameplay is actually not fun anymore and you find it has become tedious, it's time to move on. It doesn't have to be forever. Sometimes you just get burned out, but feel reinvigorated after doing other things for a while.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you have multiple Characters why would you do the reps on all of them?

90% of the complaining on these forums are people would are OCD.

"Must...have every ship, reputation, and gear on every...character...oh my three million characters...inckuding dilithium farmers...damn you cryptic...damn you!!!!"

I tease, but sadly I don't exagerate.
  • borgus1122borgus1122 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I was affraid of this - another REP set. This will never end. So I hope they will add another reputation slots in personal trait list.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    darin010 wrote: »
    Delta Rep....Really again... another one..I have played this game for a while and I have done all the Reps to the point I am warn out on them. I don't know about any one else and I would not assume I speak for everyone nor even all the members of my own fleet. But it shows to me the Dev's some how know how fast we will rip thought Delta and have already set up some mindless grinds for us to do to keep us busy. As in Grind Craft as I like to call it.

This game can not be made up of a week or less (depending on play) of content then a few months of grind's for things that will be useless before the next major update in a year or so. I have said in many threds that we don't need new Reps we need Star Trek Content. As much money and effort that they put into these Reps we could have had some good missions or new exploration platforms or some type of random generated STF's would be a nice change. We all go to the same few STF's for this mark or that mark only to get burnt out.

I ask all of you to tell me what you think about this. I would also like some ideas for things other then Reps that we would all like to see in the game. Thank you for taking time to read this.

Darin.

i haven't finished the 8472 rep yet :P. will be doing another one for a little over 20 days with the dqa rep. when it comes, meh, i dont see the problem wasting a few moments a day packing in some marks, exp. and ec.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sure Reputations will end. When Cryptic finally closes the servers for good. You don't actually expect this game to last 20 years?
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    From someone who used to play the game every day and now only logs in to do crafting 20 hour setup. .

I welcome a new rep and content i am bored of the same old stuff atm. . .

So bring it on i say
    JtaDmwW.png
  • buddha1369buddha1369 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have no problem with reps as a way to get unique gear but the problem is it takes a loooooong time and there is no way to speed it up.

There needs to be a way that you can earn rep XP through gameplay instead of a timegated mission so that more work=faster completion. Right now you can try as hard as you want but it will still take over a month to do one rep.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited September 2014
    you level up and grind Rep to get more powerful

So you can do more Rep to get more powerful

So you can buy t6/T5u ships to be more powerful

So you can R@D and be more powerful

So you can do more Reps to be more powerful

An your enemy is the same when you were a noob lvl 50 with no power

After you get all the power..............There is nothing to do but wait for a new Reputation system

So

you can grind it out too........ get more powerful !!!
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse