test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Yet Another Rep. It will never End!

darin010darin010 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
Delta Rep....Really again... another one..I have played this game for a while and I have done all the Reps to the point I am warn out on them. I don't know about any one else and I would not assume I speak for everyone nor even all the members of my own fleet. But it shows to me the Dev's some how know how fast we will rip thought Delta and have already set up some mindless grinds for us to do to keep us busy. As in Grind Craft as I like to call it.

This game can not be made up of a week or less (depending on play) of content then a few months of grind's for things that will be useless before the next major update in a year or so. I have said in many threds that we don't need new Reps we need Star Trek Content. As much money and effort that they put into these Reps we could have had some good missions or new exploration platforms or some type of random generated STF's would be a nice change. We all go to the same few STF's for this mark or that mark only to get burnt out.

I ask all of you to tell me what you think about this. I would also like some ideas for things other then Reps that we would all like to see in the game. Thank you for taking time to read this.

Darin.
Post edited by darin010 on

Comments

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Copy/pasta never tasted so good! :P

I don't mind new reps, but it's the same thing as before and they're just so boring to do. Fill sliders and wait. Rinse and repeat. *yawn* I was hoping Cryptic would do something more creative this time around.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They will keep adding more, expect 2-3 new reputation systems per year until they are all removed permanently and replaced with something new. I'd guess late 2016 or early 2017.
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Then don't do it. But don't spam the forums with it, that never helps. That new Bio-Nueral Gel Pack is making me drool though, my vesta will love it :D
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • darin010darin010 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Your right hypl it is boring after a while. I know they are not mandatory but if you want to stay in the game with power creep as high as this one some of the things they have are needed at one time or another. Weather people like them or not is fine but I am more interested in the ideas people have to replace them. Maybe the Dev's will see something they might use one day. Most likely not but we can hope.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Until someone figures out another way to artificially draw out content. Reps and grind will always exist...

Sad but true story to the age of gaming we live in
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well this IS an MMO. The point of the genre is to waste thousands of hours doing mind numbing tasks for pixal rewards that have no real value or glory to them.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nah the point is to enjoy your recreational time and relax.

The timegates and the grinding, crafting, reputation and all those shenanigans you try to cope with is corperate lamers trying to suck you dry - it's not how it has to be or even should be.

You parading it around like it's some natural law you have to accept the decline of quality in products you pay for, well to hell with that
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    We have reputation. Champs has UNITY missions. WoW has this year's gear. Every MMO I've ever seen has some sort of grind like this.

And let's be honest with ourselves here - if there wasn't a rep grind, some of us (present company possibly excluded) would tear through the new content in a matter of days, then once again start complaining that there's nothing to do.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No, I was perfectly happy before season 7 actually.

Have to sit there and manually put in hypo sprays across characters for months on end filled me up with hate to this day.

I don't want developers to control when I log in and those blocked time gates only serve to fill me with more spite
  • tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    E X P L O R A T I O N
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You can just play the game and let the rep build naturally as you enjoy a variety of content you know

It may take a while longer than those choosing to "grind" it out, but personally I'm happy to just play some new content, and enjoy a few new rep rewards as they come in.
    In fact I rather enjoy the rep, it rewards me with a few new items for regular playing of the game, no money required.

I really don't see the need to hurry to reach the end of the reputation tracks asap.
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cryptic is starting to become synonymous with endless copy pasta repetition and mind numbing grinds .

Another new rep just like before i know a song this puts me in the mind of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2fbpCUmrTE

Next rep just like the rest
    Im Cryptic /PWE i am
    Cryptic/ PWE i am i am
    We created a delta rep though
    Weve copy pasta this several times before

and every one was a rep grind
    we wont do anything but that

But we aint got no imagination were Cryptic

Cryptic / PWE i am i am
    Cryptic / PWE i am
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, I don't know about others, but some of the Traits and Gear look damn nice to me, so I'll be doing this "grind" ... Happily!
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    E X P L O R A T I O N

We must explore the galaxy to unlock more slots for our rep skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    darin010 wrote: »
    Delta Rep....Really again... another one..

Whatever would make you think that Cryptic would NOT just slap on another rep grind? It's not like they're great thinkers or anything. Just pump out more of the same and hope the players don't leave.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No pistol weapons with this rep.

Seriously, what does Cryptic have against pistols?
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    No pistol weapons with this rep.

Seriously, what does Cryptic have against pistols?
    What are you, the 25th Century NRA representative? :D
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Weapon specialization would nice. But then people would do split beam for days. No split beam reps please. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    Nah the point is to enjoy your recreational time and relax.

No, that's the point of internet TRIBBLE.

:D
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No it will not end . . . next question. Truthfully, the reps now are stupid easy.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You have a choice to do them or not. So if your burned out from them. Its your fault for doing them to that point.

As for me, I don't mind the Reps. As long they have story progression/ cutscenes. So in all, I only done the Dyson and Romulan Reps. As the others don't have story progression.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    We knew new reputations were coming.

And like the ones before them, they will be completely optional.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    We have reputation. Champs has UNITY missions. WoW has this year's gear. Every MMO I've ever seen has some sort of grind like this.

And let's be honest with ourselves here - if there wasn't a rep grind, some of us (present company possibly excluded) would tear through the new content in a matter of days, then once again start complaining that there's nothing to do.

Well, one option I have always preferred are mini games that are actually fun little games. For example, one of the final fantasy games had a neat collectible card game built in where you collected cards as vendor trash loot, but could also use them in the CCG, and could even customize the rules of the game (like drawing or hand size) and the more you played with a custom rule the more it spread around the world. Or fable and fable 2 which had neat bar games including my favorite where you would try to flick a penny across an obstacle course made from beer bottles and shot glasses on your tabletop, if you got it in fewer flicks than the bet you won money. ********* has emote contests that unlock costumes and Sudoku and other actually fun minigames with spiffy loot rewards. A really old mmo (mud with an ultima 4-era sprite interface) called dark ages (no relation to dark ages of camelot) had pong, space invaders and Tetris reskinned to look like they fit in its fantasy setting, and again you gambled on the outcome potentially winning non-trivial amounts of cash.

The sto anomaly minigame really sucks by comparison.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well this IS an MMO. The point of the genre is to waste thousands of hours doing mind numbing tasks for pixal rewards that have no real value or glory to them.
    That might not be true for everyone. How to think of pixel items in MMOs isn't that they're valueless fake items, but as services provided by the company that produces them. Think of them not as wannabe physical things, but as things that provide entertainment. Think of them as on equal terms as a movie ticket, a lap dance, or a clown.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I can agree reps are getting old and boring imo. What I would recommend they do is do like this one game heh.

Have it where you have a daily and a monthly that is account wide and after such and such gets completed then your maxed in the given rep. That is one big reason they have poor player retention other than the you bought everything/no longer need any input from you attitude lol. Otherwise you got ppl who have grinded stuff to death and no longer ever want to revisit rep content when it had to be done so many times over and over. Plus the gear from this rep doesn't really appeal to me nor anything in the dev blogs its like cryptic wasted a whole year of development time on nothing.

The whole daily thing would be easy you get random tasks to do for each day in certain rep areas of the game and you only have to do it once so you can be playing the game for fun and not for grind. That though is the root of the problem with this game and how its been going is that its play to grind and not play for fun. Plus I hope they have done something different that make it feel like you are just dropped inside a sandbox in the delta quadrant and then someone empties the box and you land back in the alpha quadrant. Some of us trek fans may actually want some immersion :)
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's the ultimate easy way out for games. Can't do a lot of new content, do a rep grind. Burns time and they don't have to work hard putting in more content since players chew through it like mad.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    edited September 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    That might not be true for everyone. How to think of pixel items in MMOs isn't that they're valueless fake items, but as services provided by the company that produces them. Think of them not as wannabe physical things, but as things that provide entertainment. Think of them as on equal terms as a movie ticket, a lap dance, or a clown.

Not the same at all. The movie ticket still physically exists and you buy the film on DVD. A lap dance, a pair of panties and a serious case of Hep C. A clown, Face paint and a crippling fear of clowns for the rest of your days. All forms of entertainment that have real products that remain with you for the rest of your days.

But video game items? One flick of a switch and all that can go away forever. They mean nothing and have no real value. It's just a random bit of data they dangle in front of you that lasts as long as the server remains online. Pull the plug, that's it. Game over. Thanks for wasting years of your life. Have a nice day.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. That's why MMOs exist. They are designed to be carrot-on-sticks that require you to devote time and energy to them. If you know that the game is fleeting and the rewards mean nothing in the long run, you generally have a better experience, instead of being THAT guy who takes MMO gaming too seriously and ends up popping a blood vessel in his brain after one innocent kid forgets to guard the flag and the enemy teams scores 1-0.

/shrug

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,494 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

WoW also has rep as well, which is just as grindy just to get top level rep and access to racial mounts. We actually get more out of STO rep than we do with WoW rep.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    so you expect them to just give you all those lovely daily Requisition Pack rep rewards and end rep dilithium ect and not have to contribute anything to deserve it.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• darthlokidarthloki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    for me I like grinding for reputation, every game out there that has lots and lots of reputations I grind all of them out to max and if a new reputation comes out I grind that out to max as well. In WoW for example I have grinded all of the reputations to max that I could for the alliance side. I don't know it just doesn't bother me to grind at all