test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone else worried these new mission will all be single player?

124»

Comments

• Options
    darthlokidarthloki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    I wish it was all single player.

I have been playing mmo's for 25 years and can honestly say that the internet is full of trolls and sociopaths. Not everyone. You meet nice people. But if you pug something they will appear.

I would rather play alone than risk getting into a pug with someone in a Miranda with 20 injuries trying to Kirk it up.
    God I hate group stuff.

same here I'm quite happy or glad that story content is single player but then at same time would be nice to if u needed help that someone can come along to help
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    darthloki wrote: »
    same here I'm quite happy or glad that story content is single player but then at same time would be nice to if u needed help that someone can come along to help

Sure but forced pugging like in the queues is terrible.
    I don't mind doing it in the battle zones
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Sure but forced pugging like in the queues is terrible.
    I don't mind doing it in the battle zones

yes I do agree with u on that or better yet have it how star wars the old republic has it where its single player but if player needs help he/she can tell the game that said player or players can help
  • Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    coolheadal wrote: »
    Well there must be a reason why this is happening. Solo player vs team players. STO might have limited server to support vast number of team player queues. Those type of queues are limited to the Event that have vast number of players in team of 5 playing. So these missions are for you and your BOF along with some DOF who assist you when you need some help on ground missions or a photonic fleet to beam in space.

Interesting theory. But if that was the case, you'd think they'd be stripping BOFF's and the co-op option out of all the story missions in the game? Its not like Cryptic isn't known for removing content.
  • Options
    xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Personally i would be very happy if ALL missions are soloable or in their current group format . Grouping should NEVER be forced in any game
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Personally i would be very happy if ALL missions are soloable or in their current group format . Grouping should NEVER be forced in any game

Do you mean - by grouping - you dropping all your BOFF's and going totally alone on a mission?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    Do you mean - by grouping - you dropping all your BOFF's and going totally alone on a mission?

no i mean having to be forced to group with other players . I like missions with just my crew its one of the things sto has done right .

I like how they did the ground battleground in the spire as well.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    no i mean having to be forced to group with other players . I like missions with just my crew its one of the things sto has done right .

Yeah, same. And of course, YOU as the player get to control if you want to be joined on a story mission by another human player. Which is precisely how it should be.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I like how they did the ground battleground in the spire as well.

so this I don't want to be forced into group play with other players unless I want to join or have a player join me on a single player solo missions and until then I play STO how I like and which is solo by myself in missions unless of course I need help
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No I am not worried, but the devs should be if they want me and others to play these missions and consider leveling past 50 and getting new ships. I have no problem staying at 50 otherwise.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    mercurythefirstmercurythefirst Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What this game needs an injection of ASAP is. HARD. group. content.
    That said, single player content is important too, and I agree that single player content where you don't have the full capabilities of your ship are asinine wastes of time. Except The Vault, which was kind of fun (once)

But what we absolutely do NOT ever need more of, is more group/ raid content you can play in your sleep!!!!!!!

If they don't realize that they aren't competent enough to run this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    bloodpact.net

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."

-Michelangelo
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    That said, single player content is important too, and I agree that single player content where you don't have the full capabilities of your ship are asinine wastes of time. Except The Vault, which was kind of fun (once)

But what we absolutely do NOT ever need more of, is more group/ raid content you can play in your sleep!!!!!!!

No, they don't.

I absolutly hate this idea that a game that's really not all that popular when compared to other MMOs should do something that'll drive away a ton of it's casual players and make the game crumble all because a few people need to get their daily dose of E-Peen in hard content.

Bottom line, most people are casual players that play ANY MMO. Create content that they can't access and have fun at and they take their money elsewhere. It's why the E-PEEN crowd is constantly in every single MMO out there demanding hard content for that MMO, and why in every MMO out there the E-PEEN crowd is ignored.

I'm not a fan of Cryptic, but in this case they are competent enough to run this game. You don't drive away the majority of your paying customers or waste dev time with content only a couple of people can do. You cater to your majority, and in this case it's what they've been releasing.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Wait this game has Two Player mode :confused:

Some of the older missions (pre revamp, not sure now) required 3 players of different classes or a full 5 player team to get some of the accolades.
  • Options
    kdfrulzfeddroolzkdfrulzfeddroolz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I wish it was all single player.

I have been playing mmo's for 25 years and can honestly say that the internet is full of trolls and sociopaths. Not everyone. You meet nice people. But if you pug something they will appear.

I would rather play alone than risk getting into a pug with someone in a Miranda with 20 injuries trying to Kirk it up.
    God I hate group stuff.

Yep I wish I could solo all the way with my Boff's for more firepower if needed, keeping any group activity as an option only... rather than being forced into a team with other players whether it be a story mission or stf.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

completely disagree. It would drive away a ton of players as another person said above . If they want to create a section that is totally optional and not part of the actual "story" with no loot difference then fine otherwise no.

( since you don't need extra loot becase your just doing the "insane" level of difficulty for the "e-peen" factor and the "Challenge" )
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Talking about playing mmos online - alone - is just straight up crazy talk, probably your OCD suffers from autism.

Not least in sto where especially the story maps are royally god awful.

I'd like those maps to be shared but more than anything I'd like them to be really, really short.

If I get put into an EV suit one more time to move around some map in super slow motion for 3 hours I am going to shoot myself
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    Talking about playing mmos online - alone - is just straight up crazy talk, probably your OCD suffers from autism.

I think this must be the only MMO where (recent) story missions have forced you away from any team up options with friends and removing BOFF's. Teaming up on content like this is standard stuff for the genre.

I can only conclude its Crytic cutting corners if it becomes the standard for Delta Rising and another example of them just removing something altogether that they can't be bothered with. They should, though, go back through all the other story missions and do the same thing. Its clunky and disruptive that you can play 40 - 50 story missions with your mates and/or BOFF's and suddenly unable to do so with anything post 2013.

So if its the new standard, make it the new standard universally.
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Personally, I have indifferent to the new featured episode being a single player only mission.

I see both points of view from both camps, personally all I do is sit back, enjoy the missions, cutscenes the story and everything else.

This is true if I am doing the mission alone, or with friends.

As to the OP, I am 50/50 on this. I do see a need for missions to have multiple friends playing it capability, and agree there does need to be some in DR, but also see when some missions that cryptic do that it would be extremely difficult to "scale" it and work it to work with multiple human players.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    foxman00 wrote: »

As to the OP, I am 50/50 on this. I do see a need for missions to have multiple friends playing it capability, and agree there does need to be some in DR, but also see when some missions that cryptic do that it would be extremely difficult to "scale" it and work it to work with multiple human players.

The problem is, they've started down the road of allowing co-op in the story missions and recently just stopped. I'm concerned where we go from here? Will we be leap frogging between single player only and co-op story missions (if desired) all over Delta Rising?

That is going to get bloody annoying fast. If you're playing through the stories with a team, you'll need to be disbanding teams all over the place because the next mission in the storyline is one player only. Confusing and disruptive.

I hear there are a lot of patrol missions on Tribble so hopefully they put a clear divide between them and story missions, making patrols locked in single player and story missions proper back to co-op/teaming available.
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    i did sphere of influence and temporal ambassador with a team.

Indeed if you share the mission with a group you can play them together, I did them also with an team !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    Indeed if you share the mission with a group you can play them together, I did them also with an team !!!

Are you sure? The game very specifically says Sphere Of Influence is single player only?
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think the anti-teaming code is buggy, honestly. Buddy of mine was leveling his latest Fed and me and another guy ran "Under the Cover of Night" with him on our Fed Roms. That's a Fed-exclusive mission.

Which was incredibly cool to watch, by the way. Two Fleet D'deridexes just merrily careening and weaving through the fight, pwning everything. Every once in a while I get tired of the game, and then something like this happens and it restores my faith.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    I think the anti-teaming code is buggy, honestly. Buddy of mine was leveling his latest Fed and me and another guy ran "Under the Cover of Night" with him on our Fed Roms. That's a Fed-exclusive mission.

That has to explain it as they even say on the Mission text Sphere of Influence is single player only.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    starswordc wrote: »

Which was incredibly cool to watch, by the way. Two Fleet D'deridexes just merrily careening and weaving through the fight, pwning everything. Every once in a while I get tired of the game, and then something like this happens and it restores my faith.
    My Fed-Roms have fire extinguishers and the accolades associated with that mission. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    My Fed-Roms have fire extinguishers and the accolades associated with that mission. :)

I'm going to need to try this, just out of pure curiosity. Of course, I'd prefer not to rely on potential bugs to play the future story missions with friends lol
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No, I am not worried.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    Are you hacking or something? Those missions are solo.

I was quite curious and tried it with a friend. For love nor money it wouldn't work and everytime we did Sphere Of Influence we were disbanded as a team and forced into it solo?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The queued events are fine - but I'm replaying the story on an alt with someone else right now, as a team, with a new character I rolled for that purpose. The FEs (as far back as Temporal Ambassador) put a bit of a monkey wrench into that one. "OK, now for this one, you're on your own, because...well, because."

My two friends who have just recently got into the game are facing the same issues. They've teamed through all those story missions, really enjoyed the fun of co-op play/sharing the story together and suddenly hit these last few missions and BAM, they can't do them together for absolutely no reason at all.

Both guys were really disappointed and found it very disruptive.