test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Kobali Adventure Zone

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
The Kobali are under attack. The only thing standing between them and total annihilation is the Alpha Quadrant Alliance. Can you save the Kobali and discover the mysteries of their homeworld? The latest dev blog by Content Designer, Sean "Commander Ander" McCann shows off this amazing new zone to explore!

Read more about it here!

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    spartand1994spartand1994 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I would be more than happy to provide feedback by testing this on Tribble. I could also use my QA skills and experience, but unfortunately I am not a Gold player, and I cannot test. :(
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sounds interesting.

Oh, and seeing as I've been the victim of a ninja post...

I too would like to participate in the testing.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I would be more than happy to provide feedback by testing this on Tribble. I could also use my QA skills and experience, but unfortunately I am not a Gold player, and I cannot test. :(

Second, and thirded that.

Why lock the testing behind a "Gold" wall? Would you not want the testing to be done with the highest possible amount of players?
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    druhin wrote: »

Why lock the testing behind a "Gold" wall? Would you not want the testing to be done with the highest possible amount of players?

And also the most skilled? Just because you pay doesn't make you a good tester...
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Oh no, the Kobali are being attacked by the evil empire of [Redacted] ! :eek::P:D
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Players will be able to bring two of their bridge officers to the surface, and players can team together without losing their bridge officers.

This stood out above everything else. Thank you for tweaking this. I assume this will apply to New Romulus and Dyson ground zones as well?
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Looks/sounds like a better version of the Defera battlezone. Neat.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    EDIT: ^I wouldn't go that far....until they tried to reproduce with MY crew that is.
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Sounds interesting.

Oh, and seeing as I've been the victim of a ninja post...

I too would like to participate in the testing.
    I was kind of hoping it was a stealth announcement that they were done with stability and unlocking Tribble at last.
    hypl wrote: »
    This stood out above everything else. Thank you for tweaking this. I assume this will apply to New Romulus and Dyson ground zones as well?

I'm wondering how big the battles are going to be. We could be looking at content that requires a 15 man squad to take on, which could be quite exciting.

I'm not sure if that will be ported over to the Dyson's zone or the Romulan zone as that content is already balanced where it's at. Not saying it shouldn't though, an additional officer on the ground always helps.

Looking forward to taking on these....well whoever they are.

Weird thing is I don't like the Kobali that much. :P
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Considering the Kobali procreate by reanimating the dead of other species, I'm not sure where the issues is if they die in an attack. Wouldn't they be able to reanimate them?

Also I would feel sorry for the guy to was assimilated by borg, deactivated, then procreated into the Koballi society and then assimilated by the borg. (No one said they never take the remains of drones) Talk about an identity crisis.
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    More ground content! Best news I have heard about DR so far! Yippee!
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,422 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Kobali are under attack. The only thing standing between them and total annihilation is the Alpha Quadrant Alliance. Can you save the Kobali and discover the mysteries of their homeworld? The latest dev blog by Content Designer, Sean "Commander Ander" McCann shows off this amazing new zone to explore!

Read more about it here!

~LaughingTrendy

Defera mk II.

Hopefully without the persistent bugs that have haunted that place since its inception.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Its a trap if you have to respawn you will then be changed into a kobali.

After that you lose all your gear, rep status, and lose all your ships as well.

Welcome to Delta Rising the expansion of not actually expanding! See you in-game!
  • Options
    kodiakjorgenssonkodiakjorgensson Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    druhin wrote: »

one of the devs covered this in a recent priority one podcast and there was a fair few reason why they don't do it right away.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    so when we get incapacitated down there, there's going to be 3 options right?

revive, call for help, and get Kobali'ed?

dont get between them and a corpse...

we will see if there's another patch this friday featuring this
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Not sure if Cryptic understands this or not...

The purpose of trenches in trench warfare are to provide concealment during engagement. Initially trenches were intended to provide soldiers a means of safely reloading their guns in preparation for another volley.

My point?

Trenches do little good in warfare if you can't actively engage from them. IE, firing over the parapet line. The trenches shown in this blog have walls taller than those found inside our starships. Ain't nobody going to be firing over those.

What they have done however, is committed a grievous tactical error, in creating channelized enfilade points, where if you encounter the enemy in those "trenches" you have no where to go, and your casualty rate will be significant, if not total.

Might be time to send the designers back to war college. ;)

When I saw the "trench warfare" in the blog, I had hoped it meant they were preparing for a Ground Revamp 2.0 which would introduce a cover/conceal mechanic, which would be awesome for traditional trench warfare. But alas, my hopes were dashed on the 20' trench walls keeping my team within a potential enfilade zone.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    robdmc wrote: »
    Considering the Kobali procreate by reanimating the dead of other species, I'm not sure where the issues is if they die in an attack. Wouldn't they be able to reanimate them?

Also I would feel sorry for the guy to was assimilated by borg, deactivated, then procreated into the Koballi society and then assimilated by the borg. (No one said they never take the remains of drones) Talk about an identity crisis.

I think that part of the reanimation process is the transformation into a Kobali. Presumably once that's done once, you can't reanimate again.

Secrets of the Kobali I can imagine.

First of all how the HELL does a species like that evolve? Was there another humanoid species on their planet that they would reanimate after death in a form of vampiric symbiosis, that didn't require advanced medical technology? Was there a war that annihilated them meaning they would have to go to the stars to preserve their race?

Or were they genetically engineered in the first place some kind of bioweapon that gained free will? That would explain why advanced genetic engineering is involved in their procreation.

The Kobali were screwy to begin with, and their insistence on interfering with species death rituals was highly rude. Why wouldn't they contract with species more lax with their death rights like the Klingons are to provide a ready way of disposing corpses?

Now I'm wanting to play this to see if Cryptic will have their own answers to these questions.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Limited away teams are terrible, the whole point in bringing them I'd immersion, and as Captains we should determine how many to bring into a battle zone, not the game. Team or no team the Federation would have you bring as many as you could to a battlezone so a full away team would be logical, anything less would be a Bush Administration bad joke
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Not sure if Cryptic understands this or not...

The purpose of trenches in trench warfare are to provide concealment during engagement. Initially trenches were intended to provide soldiers a means of safely reloading their guns in preparation for another volley.

My point?

Trenches do little good in warfare if you can't actively engage from them. IE, firing over the parapet line. The trenches shown in this blog have walls taller than those found inside our starships. Ain't nobody going to be firing over those.

What they have done however, is committed a grievous tactical error, in creating channelized enfilade points, where if you encounter the enemy in those "trenches" you have no where to go, and your casualty rate will be significant, if not total.

Might be time to send the designers back to war college. ;)

When I saw the "trench warfare" in the blog, I had hoped it meant they were preparing for a Ground Revamp 2.0 which would introduce a cover/conceal mechanic, which would be awesome for traditional trench warfare. But alas, my hopes were dashed on the 20' trench walls keeping my team within a potential enfilade zone.

HA!

Your entire post and you skipped over the biggest absurdity. Trench Warfare against opponents that can attack from space with high yield weaponry.

Remember a Piece of the Action when the Enterprise's ship phasers stunned everybody on a street. And we can't consider planetary shields a factor since the enemy has already landed and made a foot hold on the ground.

All that said, you might be wrong. That picture does have one thing that seems to scale it. The grass at the top. Those trenches may not be as deep as the appear at a cursory glance. It's troubling though in this game there's no crouch run so by the logistics of that they may be force it to have trenches tall enough to stand up behind just so that you won't be exposed every time you move.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Looking forward to this aspect of the expansion. Do we level scale back to 54 though if higher lvel a-la Nimbus or is it a 54-60 zone?

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Is it a tactical error to create more corpses to be turned into Kabali? Maybe they have a Kobali maker there waiting for the dead? Maybe they end out having stronger defenses then their enemies in the trench by have turncoat/new recruits/zombies to fight for them.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Looking forward to this aspect of the expansion. Do we level scale back to 54 though if higher lvel a-la Nimbus or is it a 54-60 zone?

It doesn't really matter you are just beaming down to get killed and turn into a kobali so you can go graveyard robbing for corpses to make new cousins.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It doesn't really matter you are just beaming down to get killed and turn into a kobali so you can go graveyard robbing for corpses to make new cousins.

And i alreadyhave my boffs planned for that zone to get brutally assaulted and murdered. One of them is a Voth and the other a Reman. Of course I could fluster them by taking a self reviving Android instead of the Reman so they dont get a chance to get near me. :D

On a side note though if they try to do their thing on a Borg do they then get a Borgless version of the person as they would have been? If so, then surely trying to capture Borg drones would be a huge boon to the Kobali population.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ground wars don't mate a ton of sense in trek. if your ship is at the planet, you have air, er, orbital superiority. any enemy troops you couldn't just beam into a volcano, could probably be very accurately taken out by a light phaser shot from orbit. limited away team engagements are 1 thing, but fighting off an invasion?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The Kobali need your help. Join today and fight for their freedom. Remember the people select from the recruits must past a parent adoption selection.... wait... A rigorous set of tests to qualify.

Hmmm.... I think the Kobali have a conflict of interest here. It seems to make sense to let other fight for them and not try to resolve the conflict intentionally. I disapprove.
  • Options
    drachenfelesdrachenfeles Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'd rather see updated version of defera warzone and maybe more varied and storyline STF's
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Interesting blog. Looking forward to going there.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    morchadesmorchades Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm gonna bet those trenches are for something other than trench warfare.

Looking forward to this one.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    and players can team together without losing their bridge officers

This is freaking sick. Thank you so much! It has always annoyed me that I lose my boffs if I team up in the Dyson zone. If this pans out, maybe that feature can be ported to the Dyson zone and New Romulus (yes yes, with a slight content rebalance I know).
    Players will be able to experience the story of the Kobali through several missions that take place in the persistent world. In between these stories, players can participate in the open missions that are constantly taking place in the zone. These open missions are set up to scale for the number of players in the area. This means the open missions can be completed alone or with a team, just like our battlezone content.

However, we have added a twist to these open missions. Each one has an “escalation” phase that can only be triggered by a team or extremely skilled solo players. This phase will offer a further challenge (and more rewards) and also will scale based on the number of players on the map.

This sounds like perhaps a mix of Deferi (missions) and Dyson (open missions). And some sort of escalation and/or perhaps randomized encounters? This might be a dream come true if I'm interpreting this properly.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.