Install Arc
Options

Ships Are Not A Game - Why I say no thanks to T6 ships

1235»

Comments

• Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Finally get a great selection of ships for all races.
    Reduce selection down to 9.
    Profit. Because people will still get the new ones.

Yep. it looks like in ship terms we are going from TNG/JJverse/TOS movies to TOS.

i.e a diverse set of ships to everyone running around in basically the same few things.
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    askray wrote: »
    So..keep quiet and get yelled at, post what they can get yelled at.

Seems like a damned/damned situation to me.

Wrong analogy.

Keep quiet and keep quite. Put out info, put out info.

But what we are seeing is neither here nor there. Thats why they are damned. The most pretty UI a dev blog has ever seen, filled with T6 info, with a free T8 connie for all thrown in the mix won't make up for the poor PR moves of this release.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I look at it this way. With this expansion PWE/Cryptic is looking for the best interests off....

you guessed it PWE/Cryptic. To think otherwise is quite silly. Granted they'll put out a product that is good enough to get a thumbs up from us, but frustrating to make us want to whip out that CC to get what we want to skip a long grind.

And I can bet my bottom dollar that even if we get the option to upgrade our 5.5 ships to near 6, still won't be as strong as the actual tier 6 ships.

Remember everybody gaming companies are not here to put out mind blowing content we never have to lift a finger to get passed. They are there to make MONEY, no more no less.

We all fall for it, fallen for it plenty. Plan not to this go around but who knows, might make enough content to make me want to do it.

But don't think for one minute that your favorite ship is still going to be the dominating force it once was come tier 6 ships.

Again I've asked this before and nobody answers me. What is the point of putting out tier 6 ships if they are not going to be a cut above regardless of the refit of 5.5 to get them close? Seriously what's the money made for PWE and what's the point of owning one as a player if they are not clearly more powerful than what came before?

Till you can answer that question, you all seriously haven't sat down and thought about this from a player and business perspective.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    nellythelwnellythelw Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Indeed... And in my opinion, which I am probably going to get flamed about, is that the OP is wrong.... Ship do make up the game... The more ships to choose the better. A mayor part of Star Trek has to do with the ships, so why wouldn't STO focus somewhat on more ships and ships being primary...

But then again, this is my opinion.... sooo....

Yes you are right however, its the repetitive things that we do with the ships. A lot of people play STO an enjoy it because of the immersion of the game that draws us to it and gives it life. They should add more content that gives us that enjoyment to keep coming back to play.

I will add I love to RP so my opinion may not be relevant and I don't hardly use the STO forums but I will say the immersion of this game is what keeps me playing more then anything. Also my I remind a few that the "Star Trek" franchise is not just a game or movie, but a inspiration for the future.

I know I may of sounded stupid their but hey...they said man couldn't fly, man couldn't go to the moon. Well look at where we are today lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'll find it hard to believe that Cryptic/PWE would be foolish enough to make iconic ships useless hunks of junk in a Star Trek game.

I didn't say useless. They'll still be able to be flown, just like the tier 5 RA ships are right now, they simply won't be the top of the line anymore.

This happens in gaming all the time. This was bound to happen sooner or later.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    well theres the level 50 to 60, vadm to fadm, and lgen to dhm just noted.

anyway, those RA ships would be completely useless when t6 comes, those t4.5 ships i have been stating for a while are quite useless. i wouldnt be surprised if some of the standard t5 ships become free for vadm f2p'ers to compensate as a better spring board.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm not sure at what point it became necessary for anybody, to have to BUY any ship to play this game...

The Min-Max and/or PvP folks are most likely the ones to bemoan what's coming, but the rest of the player base that plays just for fun, shouldn't really have to much too worry about (IMO).

I've been playing since the day the game went live and have yet to feel that there is someone or something out there that is forcing me to buy any ships...

Other than my desire to play using my favorite stuff. (which unfortunately is the TOS era)

I've CHOSEN to continue to spend my money on this game (even though it has added very little of my favorite era), and through the years I've pretty much bought all the ships I like.
    I'm not very good with the TAC part of the game so I can say I haven't spent anything on the TAC-heavy ships, but that's the beauty of it, I don't need to in order to still have fun playing.

I guess what I'm getting at is, why have all this consternation over any addition or change to the game, when it could just as easily be nothing at all. It's a diverse enough 'play-ground' at this point that nothing They add or change should cause one any anxiety.

Many folks thought that the Romulan Expansion was going to be the downfall of the game, but here we are about a year later and still going strong.

It is still just a game meant to be entertaining in a Trek kind of way and like with anything else in life, having the patience to wait and see what comes is a much better option than getting all worked-up over something that we have very little control over.

I understand the OP's intentions and he/she is certainly entitled to the feelings being expressed, I just think in general, it's all a bit too over wrought and neurotic at this point.

Let's at least hear what the actual details are before we throw the baby out with the bath water.

This of course is all just my opinion and can be taken or ignored at your pleasure.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Originally Posted by generalmoco View Post
    Indeed... And in my opinion, which I am probably going to get flamed about, is that the OP is wrong.... Ship do make up the game... The more ships to choose the better. A mayor part of Star Trek has to do with the ships, so why wouldn't STO focus somewhat on more ships and ships being primary...

You have your right to your opinion, and I respectfully disagree with it. I believe that the playable content in the game such as: episode series, featured episodes and queued missions, STFs etc. are what make the game. The ships in the show where what got the crew to where it was going and played into the plot providing advantages or disadvantages depending on the circumstance. Obstacles to overcome. But they did not devote entire episodes to what it was like to fix a EPS conduit. As far as I know haha.
    The ships are what we use to complete that content. If ships are the game then I think there is something seriously wrong because what does that say?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Originally Posted by generalmoco View Post

You have your right to your opinion, and I respectfully disagree with it. I believe that the playable content in the game such as: episode series, featured episodes and queued missions, STFs etc. are what make the game. The ships are what we use to complete that content. If ships are the game then I think there is something seriously wrong because what does that say?

All it says is that the "Ships/Toons" are what we USE to PLAY the game.

I rather doubt that the Dev's think of them as anything else. (other than money-makers)

It's kinda-sorta silly to debate what the SHIPS mean to the game, that's perfectly obvious.

On the other hand, what each 'ship' means to an individual player, is something else entirely.

But the topic at hand, (based on the OP) is about the over-all feeling of alarm that the lack of pertinent information is causing for some players.
    And how the lack thereof, should be dealt with on an individual basis.

Not how what we already have, is a problem.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    askray wrote: »
    So..keep quiet and get yelled at, post what they can get yelled at.

Seems like a damned/damned situation to me.

I'd fall back on what they did to market Legacy of Romulus. They hyped it up. But they also put out solid information.

It wasn't all that long ago. Why has it gotten so ... unraveled? Off target? Mangled? Why has it gotten this way since then?

I mean, I've seen dev commentary from, IIRC Taco, about how Legacy of Romulus was pretty much the impetus for why this expansion got off the ground.

Seems just odd for them to not at least try to mimic the marketing model, which was successful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    simple answer play the ships you play now, don't worry about T6 ships, they say the T5 ships will be bought almost up to T6 level anyhow so whats to worry over.
    if a some point in the future they give away a T6 ship as a freebie snag it for your self but if your not all that bothered don't spend anything buying one.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I'd fall back on what they did to market Legacy of Romulus. They hyped it up. But they also put out solid information.

It wasn't all that long ago. Why has it gotten so ... unraveled? Off target? Mangled? Why has it gotten this way since then?

I mean, I've seen dev commentary from, IIRC Taco, about how Legacy of Romulus was pretty much the impetus for why this expansion got off the ground.

Seems just odd for them to not at least try to mimic the marketing model, which was successful.

I've heard say that there is a new marketing team in this quadrant, perhaps 'they' are to blame? It's pretty obvious that someone new is at the helm.

As the lowly crewmen we apparently are, we'll just have to wait for the new 'Ships Counselor' to come over the PA and address the "lower decks" when necessary.

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    I've heard say that there is a new marketing team in this quadrant, perhaps 'they' are to blame? It's pretty obvious that someone new is at the helm.

As the lowly crewmen we apparently are, we'll just have to wait for the new 'Ships Counselor' to come over the PA and address the "lower decks" when necessary.

One of the few posts in this ongoing discussion that genuinely made me smile. Couching it in Trek terms just reminded me of why I like the game in the first place.

Thanks for that.

/salute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This thread is delving deep into flame territory so I am shutting it down.

~CaptainSmirk
This discussion has been closed.