test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should I get the Vesta?

eldest13eldest13 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Federation Discussion
I have an engineering caotain that just hit VA. Now should I get the Vesta for him because I like the look and the powers. Or should I stick with a crusier, if so, then which one?

Thanks in advance.:D
Post edited by eldest13 on

Comments

• sdkraustsdkraust Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Generally the tac vesta is one of the best all around ships in the game.
    (Probably the best cstore ship besides the Scimitars)

If you want to min-max it's easily outclassed.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Honestly it's one of the best ships in the game, any of the 3. I got the sci version for my Sci officer and it's just an amazing ship. Wish I'd had enough money for the 3 set and never bought ANY of the other fed ships I own at tier 5.

Just a superb ships.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Of the ships currently available, the Vesta is generally considered to be one of the best. If you're just looking at ships currently available, I don't think you'll go wrong with a Vesta or Vesta variant.

The caveat: I specifically stated 'currently available' because with the second expansion to STO coming up, Tier 6 ships are going to be introduced. Right now, we've no real idea just what a T6 ship is, so you may want to hold off and see what they're like. We've got vague promises of T5 ships being upgradable to something 'competitive' yet not 'the same' as a T6 ship, by my understanding. What that means has not been explained in any detail as yet.

So if you don't mind waiting a bit, it might be worth seeing what the T6 choices are going to look like. Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Vesta.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • ragnar0xragnar0x Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would wait for T6 ships to come out. We dont know anything about them or about upgreades to be competitive to T6 so wait a little. Farm dilthium and fleet marks with your t5 ship and save it for x2 expansion.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Al Rivera is wanting to "re-visit" the Vesta, which means changes other than the tier 5 -> 6 thing.

Just putting that out there.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A big fat YES ive used it since the 2nd day it came out n im not bored of it one bit, unlike the oddy that ive not used in over 2 years :mad:
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited August 2014
    There is no denying the quality of the Vesta (any of the 3)

A Brilliant ship, arguably the best Sci ship in the game and still in the age of crazy Lockbox ships capable of holding it's own it truly live up to it's Multi Mission description.

But in 2 months we get a whole new tier of ships. Will there be a 3 pack of great new T6 ships that will dominate the game? We don't know. Will the Vesta still be worth flying then? We don't know.

So I look at it like this, Is 2500 Zen worth it for 2 months?
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,669 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's a nice ship, I use it on my Fed Sci captain. The only real weakness is stuff that can do shield-penetrating damage to its thin hull. Voth Transphasic Chroniton Barrage can shred it while slowing any potential escape, though those usually give you enough time that your Miracle Worker engineering captain ability can come into play (or the three-set turtle mode). You also have to be careful in Undine zones with the puddles not only causing damage direct to the hull, but also stick you in place fairly well. I usually die when in the grip of a rupture/puddle and a ship explodes nearby (usually no chance to heal after the warpcore breach nearby). It can shield-tank most other things, with its nice 1.35 shield mod, particularly combo'ed with your Rotate Shield Frequency captain ability.

I'd still more tempted to use a cruiser or battle cruiser on an engineering captain, for better all-around tanking, though. If you decide to save and wait for Delta Rising, the freebie Assault Cruiser for hitting level 40 (or the ugly mirror variant if you've already used the token), or the Mirror Heavy Cruiser if you want a bit of Science abilities to toy around with. Avenger can put out a fair bit of hurt while still being pretty tanky, even if it is a bit ugly, if you decide to spend Zen.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I use it on my alien science char ive never tryed it on my eng i use fleet excelsior for my eng great ship
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tom61sto wrote: »
    ... Voth Transphasic Chroniton Barrage can shred it while slowing any potential escape...

Multidimensional Wave-Function Analysis Module from the Rademaker is perfect for that. It gives immunity to the slow debuff and it reflects the kinetic damage back.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would wait for the T6 ships to be released. Spending 2,500 (5,000 for the 3-pack) is a decent chunk of change for a starship especially when a new ship tier is going to be released.

Even after the T6 starships are released the Vesta will still be a good ship and I believe it can be upgraded (by crafting???) to be competitive with a T6 starship. However, a T6 ship is supposed to have abilities that are unique to those starship which cannot be obtained through upgrades.

No prices have been released yet, but 3,000 Zen for a T6 ship is not out of the question. Though it would be nice of the T6 starships only cost 2,500 while the current line of C-Store starships prices drop accordingly.

I think when Delta Rising is released, the various T6 starships and Delta Rising bundles will be discounted for a short period of time to entice people into opening their wallets.
  • desertjetsdesertjets Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I bought the Vesta 3-pk within the first month or so of its release and been flying and loving it ever since. Very flexible layout, tons of possible and good builds, not enough good can be said about this ship. Plus it looks good and kit bashes well if that is your thing. Additionally the unique consoles for the most part are useful (I don't run any of them at the moment). As an added bonus not every one and their mother flies them.

But as much as it pains me to agree with everyone else I would be a bit hesitant to pick one up with x2 ~8 weeks off. Though if you want to get one don't let the hive mind deter you. I am not convinced that T6 ships will be all that much better, nor will the upgrade path to T5.997 for older ships leave that much of a performance gap.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Vesta obsoleted every other Fed sci ship

T6 ships might do the same to Vesta, best to wait and see
  • genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've been flying the Vesta (Sci and Tac version) a long time, and it is definitely a great sci ship, I would say the best currently. The hanger bay really adds to your dps (in my case up to 50%).

As mentioned before its one huge weakness is its hull hp. You end up using a lot of boff skills, traits and flying skills trying to plug this Achilles heel. Shield by-passing direct damage and dots are usually what kill you. You have to be careful in Borg elite stfs (Cure, Khitomer, and definately Hive) as one mis-step and you'll be re-spawning. The trick is to not draw too much aggro, -threat embassy consoles help here.
  • arkatdtarkatdt Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    I would wait for the T6 ships to be released. Spending 2,500 (5,000 for the 3-pack) is a decent chunk of change for a starship especially when a new ship tier is going to be released.

Even after the T6 starships are released the Vesta will still be a good ship and I believe it can be upgraded (by crafting???) to be competitive with a T6 starship. However, a T6 ship is supposed to have abilities that are unique to those starship which cannot be obtained through upgrades.

No prices have been released yet, but 3,000 Zen for a T6 ship is not out of the question. Though it would be nice of the T6 starships only cost 2,500 while the current line of C-Store starships prices drop accordingly.

I think when Delta Rising is released, the various T6 starships and Delta Rising bundles will be discounted for a short period of time to entice people into opening their wallets.

I have not looked closely at the announcement, but when you say Tier 6, you mean Tier 6 for the starbase? So since everyone is at Tier 5, won't it take quite a bit of time before most people are going to have access to Tier 6 ships? Even if you have all the resources stockpiled, the game adds artificial time constraints to drag this out even longer.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    arkatdt wrote: »
    I have not looked closely at the announcement, but when you say Tier 6, you mean Tier 6 for the starbase? So since everyone is at Tier 5, won't it take quite a bit of time before most people are going to have access to Tier 6 ships? Even if you have all the resources stockpiled, the game adds artificial time constraints to drag this out even longer.

No, they did announce full T6 ships, not bases or holdings etc. They never even talked about bases and holdings as far as I know. But since then no further word has been spoken about them, so nobody knows WTH they are exactly.

They are supposed to have "unique abilities" only "real" T6 have access to as opposed to our current T5 ships that will be upgradeable to be "competitive", whatever that's supposed to mean. Cryptic's infos so far were... well....cryptic...

Also:
    Vesta obsoleted every other Fed sci ship

T6 ships might do the same to Vesta, best to wait and see

^THIS
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,669 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    Multidimensional Wave-Function Analysis Module from the Rademaker is perfect for that. It gives immunity to the slow debuff and it reflects the kinetic damage back.

Actually works OK against the ruptures and puddles in the Undine Battlezone too, it seems. I had been running just the QFFP deflector phaser and the AoE heal console, but bolted on the purple bubble MFAM console and the immunity to slow helps get out of the puddles and ruptures, not as fast as say Attack Pattern Omega, Emergency Power to engines or Hazard Emitters in combo with Evasive Maneuvers (this last one is what I had been using primarily to escape) -- probably due to the negative repel of the rupture proper. I usually click it back off as soon as I'm out, though, as the extra transparency effects lower STO's framerate even further. Actually helps my survivability better than the slab of Neutronium it replaced.
  • steaensteaen Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I bought the 3-pack a while back, about 2 days before the T6 announcement - when the announcement was made I thought I'd made an almighty **** up by not saving my money, but as I've used my Vesta more and more I've reached the decision that I'm going to stick with it and complete any possible upgrades that X2 allows us.

It's simply that good, in my view, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'll add my voice to the chorus. If you have the extra zen to burn on the three pack, this is an excellent purchase and I suspect it will hold its' own rather well against the T6 ships... not to mention that you'll be limited to T5's until you level up again, so this is a good ship to get you there.

I love mine and I rarely ever swap any of my Science captains to another ship. As pointed out, the 'gimmick' consoles are actually some of the most useful in the game and the set bonuses are awesome.

If you're in a hurry, the chroniton-enhanced slipstream bonus will easily carry you from one end of a sector block to another, even the larger sector blocks.

You may want to replace the default runabouts in the hangar bay with something better, though I've made do with them. They're excellent for dealing with pet swarms and the tractor beams help if you're building around Gravity Well, but they don't add much damage and they tend to kaboom fast.

If you're a min-maxer and kills are your priority, you can probably do better in a Tac-optimized ship. But the Vesta is a great all-around support ship, nimble, adaptable, and the best sci ship for soloing in. I've never flown one with an Engineering captain so I can't tell you how well it will work for you, but I've never had a moment of buyer's remorse.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm an Avestaist. I don't believe in these fairy tales about the greatness of this ship. To quote the late Christopher Hitchens, "Vesta is not great!" I've tried many different builds, and I have no idea how it's possible to make it competitive in any capacity, solo and team. It's fragile and lethargic. My cookie-cut a2b Excelsior outperforms the poor thing in every category but grav welling, which, in my experience, is a stunningly weak, easily evaded, and unnecessary skill, in PvE&P. Now, I suppose Vesta maketh a merely decent vampire, but that eats up boff stations unto overall uselessness. The only trick left in its hat is the single hangar. However, apparently only the Elite Rom rep Scorps actually do damage. Even then, I rarely break 13k dps PvE, whereas spacebar jockeying my preposterous Excelsior gifts me a consistent 15k PvE base without effort. And indeed, even this pathetic build is as nothing to the Scims. Scims are so over-the-top, whenever I load into a PvE with, say, 3 of them, I don't even move, and just watch them instantaneously vaporize everything + optional in a few minutes or less.

That said, I love the look of the Tac Vesta (the other two are nice too & their lore). It's like an ancient nautical vessel. Beautiful lines and colors, imho, AND it certainly deserves its own super futuristic unique bridge (please, Cryptic)! So, I often fly around in my Vesta for fun, but not for excellence. I can only recommend it on these grounds, unless someone here can whisper to me the secret of Vestaing. Because all that matters in STO is sheer, annihilative power.
    Greenbird
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    @giannicampanella
    Don't compare it to an Excelsior. The excelsior is not a Science Vessel. It allows completely different build and abilities than a Vesta or any other Science Vessel.

What other Science Vessels have you used and think are far better than the Vesta?

Because if you only compare to the Excelsior, the verdict you have is not "Vesta sucks" but "Science Vessels suck". And I am not saying that's wrong (in comparison). But I just suspect that someone that gets interested in the Vesta is actually after a Science Vessel, and the Excelsior can be 100 times as good as a Vesta, it's not an SV.

Compared to most other SVs, the only weakness the Vesta has is a slightly lower hull. But I find that (compared to other SVs) completely irrelevant. In exchange, you have Aux Cannons, a pretty good set of console powers, more flexible BO seating, and a hangar bay.

Of course, what no one really knows is if investing in a Tier 5 ship now is a good idea considering the potential of Tier 6 ships in Expansion 2. We don't know what it will cost to get to Tier 6, if it's actually viable or just the devs think it's viable.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Buy Nothing. Doom Is Coming!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My only regret with the Vesta line is that I didn't buy the 3 pack. I now have the tac and sci versions, using the sci version.

I like the fact that I can run 3 sci boffs on a sci vessel.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
    edited August 2014
    @giannicampanella
    Don't compare it to an Excelsior.

I just did! ;) Because I will continue to submit that there isn't enough cooperative content for the current class system. There should be more to do besides pew pew boom boom in PvE, imho. Teaming is great for PvP, therefore, peeps seem to complain about PvP most! Go figure. But I am surely derailing this thread, so finis!

Everything you said is exactly right.

However, my personal SV preference is the billowy, rugged, yet noble Nebula. An elegantly grotesque vessel from a perhaps over-civilized time. As dignified as its Galaxy component design lineage, but configured like a pouncing scorpion combined with a tortoise, a colossal squatting space toad, shameless flaunting its absurd virtues among the stars! It's not better than the Vesta in almost every respect, but I can tank better with it, and simultaneously pay my respects to TNG's baroque spandex ochre utopianism. Beat that.
    Greenbird
  • ragnar0xragnar0x Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    LoL comparing excelsior cruiser with a sci vessel is just stupid. You can compare excelsior to avenger and avenger will beat it anytime.
    edited August 2014
    It would be stupid, if this game were not a dps fest. It is a deeps fest. Ergo, it's not an absurd comparison, sadly. This isn't the messenger's fault.
    Greenbird
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've tried many different builds, and I have no idea how it's possible to make it competitive in any capacity, solo and team.

My build is for fun and in no way optimized for any one strategy (other than using the best gear available to me that is). Getting first place in the Crystaline Entity is not an uncommon feat for me so it seems pretty competitive to me! Of course the CE is unique in that non-damage contributions help your placement, but even in PUG Borg STFs I'll place pretty well according to others who use combat parsers.

An all around enjoyable ship if you want to break away from that 'Pure DPS' mentality.

EDIT: As others have suggested however, I would wait on the purchase 'til X2 comes out. If there's a new ship with similar capabilities and better stats why not save your money and buy it instead of a Vesta?
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And indeed, even this pathetic build is as nothing to the Scims. Scims are so over-the-top, whenever I load into a PvE with, say, 3 of them, I don't even move, and just watch them instantaneously vaporize everything + optional in a few minutes or less

And indeed, I was, and am, somewhat tempted to buy a Scimitar for my Romulan characters. Just not tempted enough to spring $50 on the 3 pack, so far.

But it's useless for me to consider a Scimitar for my Federation Science captains. And in PvE, I generally don't need to bring anything more than my Vesta. A Nebula, with it's cruiser-like turn rate, would tend to feel very unsatisfying to me. Doesn't fit my normal playstyle. I'd only fly one if I want to shake things up.

For the same reason, I don't like putting Science captains in cruisers. But I'd probably consider it more favorably now that cruisers have been given the cruiser commands, if I'm flying support for a team.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited August 2014
    ^ I agree. And Scims being demi-Qs is canon, so it's actually nice that they are what they are supposed to be, and not arbitrarily limited for so-called 'balance' reasons, which I think kills immersion and fun by killing diversity, as real life is fun because it's diverse because it's unfair. Ker'rat, in particular, is a fine example of how fun it can be to spontaneously team up against a superior player foe in an open environment much less restrictive and hectic than the public PvP matches. There should also be more Ker'rat-like zones, imco.
    fftt wrote: »
    My build is for fun and in no way optimized for any one strategy (other than using the best gear available to me that is). Getting first place in the Crystaline Entity is not an uncommon feat for me so it seems pretty competitive to me! Of course the CE is unique in that non-damage contributions help your placement, but even in PUG Borg STFs I'll place pretty well according to others who use combat parsers.

An all around enjoyable ship if you want to break away from that 'Pure DPS' mentality.

All true, and a good point. I'd like to see more PvEs that explicitly reward non-dps contributions.
    Greenbird
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm an Avestaist. I don't believe in these fairy tales about the greatness of this ship. To quote the late Christopher Hitchens, "Vesta is not great!" I've tried many different builds, and I have no idea how it's possible to make it competitive in any capacity, solo and team. It's fragile and lethargic. My cookie-cut a2b Excelsior outperforms the poor thing in every category but grav welling, which, in my experience, is a stunningly weak, easily evaded, and unnecessary skill, in PvE&P. Now, I suppose Vesta maketh a merely decent vampire, but that eats up boff stations unto overall uselessness. The only trick left in its hat is the single hangar. However, apparently only the Elite Rom rep Scorps actually do damage. Even then, I rarely break 13k dps PvE, whereas spacebar jockeying my preposterous Excelsior gifts me a consistent 15k PvE base without effort. And indeed, even this pathetic build is as nothing to the Scims. Scims are so over-the-top, whenever I load into a PvE with, say, 3 of them, I don't even move, and just watch them instantaneously vaporize everything + optional in a few minutes or less.

That said, I love the look of the Tac Vesta (the other two are nice too & their lore). It's like an ancient nautical vessel. Beautiful lines and colors, imho, AND it certainly deserves its own super futuristic unique bridge (please, Cryptic)! So, I often fly around in my Vesta for fun, but not for excellence. I can only recommend it on these grounds, unless someone here can whisper to me the secret of Vestaing. Because all that matters in STO is sheer, annihilative power.

Sorry man you're comparing apples to oranges if you're comparing an Excelsior to a Vesta. One does one job, the other does another.

Put it to you this way. Excelsior is HORRIBLE for crowd control. All it can really do is take a pounding while spamming FAW and A2B. Vesta can do SO much more. It can control crowds with high level gravity wells so escorts can go around in killing sprees. It can use aux cannons so you can throw all your power to aux to empower said science abilities and run high damage numbers with the aux cannons.

Granted you won't necessarily win any damage contests, but you'll pull your fair share.

Sorry your analysis is flawed from the outset.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1