test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

NCC-74656; USS Voyager (Delta Rising)

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
This didn't occur to me until earlier, though it since has, and I feel the need to discuss it.

Delta Rising is set in 2410; 32 years after Voyager returned home (Endgame was 2378). Voyager was also a new ship at the beginning of the show, so by 2410 she's been in space for 39 years. Wouldn't Voyager have been retired by now?

She came back from the Delta Quadrant with all that technology and borg upgrades, only to be put back into use? You'd think Starfleet would have stripped the vessel of the technology and then placed the ship in a Federation Museum to encourage younger cadets and inspire them.

Unless I'm mistaken, in 2410, Tuvok is in command of Voyager; the very ship that'll be heading Delta Rising. My question is, why? In 39 years wouldn't it be realistic to think that, firstly, Voyager would no longer be operable, and secondly, Tuvok may have chosen a different ship? I know this is just a game, but (short of the fandom) I can't quite understand why there is need for us to see, and Tuvok to command Voyager.

On a related note, Harry Kim is turning up in the Rhode Island, but unlike the Intrepid Class (which will be a big feature) the Rhode Island (another potential big feature) isn't getting an update. Whilst I'm sure many people can live without a Rhode Island interior, surely it wouldn't be too big a request to bring the Nova/Rhode Island model up to scratch with the new Intrepid one?
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well, the Galaxy Class was designed to go on a 20 year mission and go through 5 of such missions over a 100 year lifetime, with multiple upgrades / refits during this time. Even the Constitution Class was designed for multiple 5 year missions (and the Enterprise was on its 3rd 5 year mission when Kirk took command.)

I don't know if there are similar statements to the Intrepid class life-cycle, but I could totally see it also having a 5, 10 or 20 year mission time and multiple decade long life-cycle.

The Voyager probably saw several refits, but there isn't really a need to take it apart completely to inspect the Borg modifications. And 32 years is a long time to inspect any modifications. Considering how quick Starfleet officers tend to be with analyzing new stuff, I figure this inspection was completed in less than a year. Why throw the Voyager away now?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And there is the fact that Voyager is also a known factor in that part of the Delta Quadrant. It might make enlisting the aid of friendly species encountered by Janeway and Co. go a bit smoother, especially if they are of the leery kind.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    Voyager was also a new ship at the beginning of the show, so by 2410 she's been in space for 39 years. Wouldn't Voyager have been retired by now?

In a rational, realistic universe, maybe. But this is Star Trek, so...nah.
  • Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This didn't occur to me until earlier, though it since has, and I feel the need to discuss it.

Delta Rising is set in 2410; 32 years after Voyager returned home (Endgame was 2378). Voyager was also a new ship at the beginning of the show, so by 2410 she's been in space for 39 years. Wouldn't Voyager have been retired by now?

No. Star Fleet Vessels are designed to be adaptable via upgrades and have a standard service life of 100 years with routine maintenance and several overhauls. Only reason to retire a ship is that it no longer serves a purpose, the reason it was needed has vanished, or the design is outdated by new ships coming on line.

Given everything that has gone on since her return, Star Fleet simply can't let a ship like that be dismantled or turned in to a museum. According to the story, Star Fleet needs every ship they can reactivate and bring up to minimum combat status. She can still perform her role as designed.

Otherwise, the Oberth, Miranda, and Constitution would have been made scrap long ago due to them being 'outdated'.
    She came back from the Delta Quadrant with all that technology and borg upgrades, only to be put back into use? You'd think Starfleet would have stripped the vessel of the technology and then placed the ship in a Federation Museum to encourage younger cadets and inspire them.

Given that the Borg technology had become fully integrated in some of Voyagers key systems, and improving them, I doubt the technology would have been removed. Especially since Borg Tech seems to go inert without a central node to operate it. And with Seven being there, she could explain in detail and provide schematics for the items in question for the Engineers (where do you think our Assimilated Adapted Tech came from).

As for it being turned in to a Museum, it would become a training vessel first for new Cadets to train on.
    Unless I'm mistaken, in 2410, Tuvok is in command of Voyager; the very ship that'll be heading Delta Rising. My question is, why? In 39 years wouldn't it be realistic to think that, firstly, Voyager would no longer be operable, and secondly, Tuvok may have chosen a different ship? I know this is just a game, but (short of the fandom) I can't quite understand why there is need for us to see, and Tuvok to command Voyager.

Most of the other crew from Voyager has moved on to other assignments or retired, and being an Admiral, he can choose his own Flagship.

Another reason to send Voyager is that to the Delta Quadrant Species/Empires/Civilizations, she represents their First Contact with the United Federation of Planets and Star Fleet. It's usually a good idea to send a ship, led by a member of a crew they formerly dealt with, to continue/renew good relations or open new dialogue attempts. And as a Vulcan, Tuvok is very good in that role, even for a Tactical Officer.
    On a related note, Harry Kim is turning up in the Rhode Island, but unlike the Intrepid Class (which will be a big feature) the Rhode Island (another potential big feature) isn't getting an update. Whilst I'm sure many people can live without a Rhode Island interior, surely it wouldn't be too big a request to bring the Nova/Rhode Island model up to scratch with the new Intrepid one?

With the re-introduction of Harry Kim, the Rhode Island may end up getting an update. Nothing is confirmed one way or the other. The only reason why the Intrepid is getting a bridge update is because the story is focusing on that ship and Tuvok. And I have a feeling that our characters may end up on her bridge with the new FE for Delta Rising. So, it makes sense to do the update from that standpoint.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    ccmurphyccmurphy Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    39 to 40 years is nothing to a ship. Look at the us navy vessel enterprise. She went 60 years and could have gone longer, but cost almost dubbed the original building prise just for a refit. So 40 total years would be nothing to the federation, with the normal lifespan of a ship being 100 years and some reaching the 200 year mark (though that is stretching it a bit)
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well, that's answered that! :P I can't really fault any of the replies here, so yeah, I'll keep quiet now. :cool:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    trekkerchicktrekkerchick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Starfleet vessels have an average "hull life" of 100~120 years with regular retrofitting every 25.
    Not only would Voyager likely still be in service by 2410, its likely the Intrepid class it's self would still be in production.
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ships in the tng and forward era were designed for extended life.. I mean if the oberth, the Miranda, and the excelsior are still flying around in not only ds9, but in this game, it is safe to assume that the refit life cycle of newer ships (ie, anything tng and beyond) is much much longer.. 39 years is a drop in the bucket for one of these vessels.. Christ, we have modern navy vessels that are as old if not older.

that being said.. I do agree that in all likely hood, voyager would be a museum.. like they stated in the few times someone came back from the future.. cryptic using voyager seems to be stepping over line a little.. they should have had tuvok in command of another intrepid.. he could have had dialogue saying he loved the class of vessel or something..

but we are getting a proper intrepid bridge and interior, so I wont complain too much.. lol..

but, to all the nay sayers who say the galaxy and other vessels designed in the shows would not be up to par in this time line.. well, it was said on screen (for the galaxy at least) that it was designed with refitting in mind, that it was designed to keep up with the times and have an extended life.. it is why they put so many resources into it.. I would assume the nebula is the same, as well as anything built after it.

also, im so sick of hearing people say x ship is too old.. its technology, stuff can be upgraded.. sure, eventually a space frame will wear down, but with tng forward ships, im gonna guess that they have only extended the life of said space frames.. and its as simple as refitting. case and point.. when riker took command of the Excalibur during the klink civil war, it was undergoing a refit.. I doubt they just added spas for the crew and a new kitchen.. I bet when it was done with its refit, it was updated to all of the tech available at the time (weapons, shields, sensors, the works).
  • Options
    nymysys1nymysys1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As far as the Rhode Island not getting an update, consider this, its no where near ready for an update:

The RI made its appearance in "Endgame", the last VOY episode. The RI appearance in the episode occurs in an alternate reality, in 2404. There does not appear to be a canon date for the launch of the RI, so as far as we know she just launched very recently. All this is notwithstanding the fact that technically, from a canon perspective, the RI (just like the Olympic and the Gal-X) does not actually HAVE to happen in the prime universe; all are from alternate timelines that were negated.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And there is the fact that Voyager is also a known factor in that part of the Delta Quadrant. It might make enlisting the aid of friendly species encountered by Janeway and Co. go a bit smoother, especially if they are of the leery kind.

That or everyone who remembers it will be muttering along the lines of "oh ****, they're back."
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    nymysys1 wrote: »
    As far as the Rhode Island not getting an update, consider this, its no where near ready for an update:---

Assuming the he Nova 'Rhode island' variant I]the U.S.S Rhode Island it's self[/I was launched in say, 2408-ish, it wouldn't be scheduled for a retrofit until 2433. Still a bit of a way before it's next tech retrofit.
  • Options
    gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Assuming the he Nova 'Rhode island' variant I]the U.S.S Rhode Island it's self[/I was launched in say, 2408-ish,wouldn't be scheduled for a retrofit until 2433. Still a bit of a way before it's next tech retrofit.

Exactly. Consider how many enemies Janeway made. I'm not sure Voyager would be welcome in large parts of the Quadrant
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • Options
    jon59650jon59650 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    after 32 years, Voyager would be considerably out of date

The original enterprise was launched in 2245, Search for Spock was set in 2285. So enterprise was 40 years old, hence was to be decomissioned
    sto-afk-list.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    jon59650 wrote: »
    after 32 years, Voyager would be considerably out of date

The original enterprise was launched in 2245, Search for Spock was set in 2285. So enterprise was 40 years old, hence was to be decomissioned

The Intrepid class shouldn't be scheduled for decommission until at least 2471.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Unfortunately, Star Trek trips over registry numbers over and over again when it comes to dating ships, and is not a reliable way to date. The Akira, Nova and I think the Steamrunner all suffer from registry dating inaccuracies >.<
  • Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The NCC-XXXXX is nothing more than a number to help the bean counters keep track of ships instead of using the name. It has nothing to do with the date the ship was put in to service.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Ah, think I found it.
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/registries.htm

It's an interesting read. Just for fun.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Whilst I agree, in this case it's pretty straightfoward. The Rhode Island had a lower registry number than Voyager, but a slightly higher one than the Equinox.

It is therefore fair to assume that it was in service by the time Voyager launched.

See my link at the end of the previous page, hon.
  • Options
    omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Whilst I agree, in this case it's pretty straightfoward. The Rhode Island had a lower registry number than Voyager, but a slightly higher one than the Equinox.

It is therefore fair to assume that it was in service by the time Voyager launched.

Or a newer ship that was renamed Rhode Island. The only reason say this is because their was a Defiant in the TOS era as well.
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2014

No it's not, the registries mean nothing in Trek because they are all over the place, that would mean by your logic the Prometheus is older than Voyager, and the Galaxy class.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Fair enough - they don't seem terrible consistent, although Bernd does acknowledge that the registrys "only roughly correspond with the ages of the ships".

I still prefer to think that, with a registry in the 72XXX range, the Rhode Island was older than Voyager and would have been in service, as a standard Nova class, around the same time that Voyager was in service, receiving a refit into the 'Rhode Island' configuration we saw in Endgame at some point in it's life.

I think that it is highly possible the Nova entered active service before the Intrepid. The Rhode Island variant may just be that, a variant made in early production life, for whatever reason.
    Even the Galaxy had a vairent well before it's scheduled 25 year retrofit during DS9.
  • Options
    nymysys1nymysys1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Remember that the "Nova" class was mentioned in the TNG Tech Manual as the proposed replacement for the Galaxy in the exploration role. The design studies for the Nova in the back of that book are also the source of the Intrepid's variable geometry nacelles.
  • Options
    captainzheicaptainzhei Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    - The Starship Excelsior is said to have been in service for almost 75 years (its ultimate fate is never seen in canon). The class continues in service from 2287 - when its Transwarp experimentation ended - to at least 2377 when Voyager returned to the Alpha Quadrant. According to details within Star Trek Online, the USS Excelsior is still in active service as of 2409, serving alongside USS Excelsior-D (though that sort of thing is without precedent, as all other starships seen in Star Trek with a letter appended to its registry, received its name because the last ship to carry that name was either lost or decommissioned before the current vessel was ordered by Starfleet. However, it may be possible that the Excelsior's spaceframe was officially decommissioned, but later overhauled in light of the Klingon War and the need for a fast track of starships, and put back into service with a memorial registry. However, many references to the Excelsior were made between 2285 and 2371. Is it really possible that 4 replacements were ordered within 30 years?)

- The USS Enterprise was scheduled for decommissioning in 2285, after a 40 year life of service, 3 refits and no less than 4 captains. The class itself underwent several more refits toward the beginning of the 24th century, before the class was finally retired at an undisclosed date.

- Miranda Class starships continue to be seen from Star Trek II through to at least the end of Star Trek Deep Space Nine. Given their hull plating always harkens back to the construction methods of the late 23rd century (never seen with the "Aztec" style plating seen on the Galaxy class, or any other more modern hull textures) it is reasonable to assume that all of these Miranda Class starships were produced before the launch of the Ambassador Class. This implies that even the newest Miranda Class vessels are tipping close to a century. This is also under the assumption that these ships weren't all destroyed (How many times have you seen a Miranda Class or variant NOT blow up?)

- In the alternate future episode "All Good Things..." Admiral Riker was in command of a massively refitted Galaxy class starship. Given the year in the future parts of the episode as 2395, and the ship's commission year of 2364, the ship had less than 30 years in operation when "Starfleet tried to scrap her". The presumption behind this is less that the class was at the end of its service life, and more that the Flagship of the Federation was no longer a top-of-the-line ship. Starfleet more than likely wanted to reassign the nomenclature to a new starship from a class developed in the 2390s. Such a thing was done in 2293 to Captain Kirk and the Enterprise-A. After the Enterprise was decommissioned, its nomenclature was reassigned to a new Excelsior Class that was launched less than two years later.

- The Enterprise-E was still in service in 2408 (this information is conjecture) where it was presumed to be destroyed. This makes the ship 36 years old at the time of its loss, with no signs prevalent that the ship was close to the end of its life cycle.

- In the DS9 episode "The Visitor", the Defiant is still in operation during the later scenes of the episode, implying that the ship could have remained in service for over 50 years if it hadn't been facerolled by the Breen.

Just a few notable examples of starships with service cycles as long as, or longer than, Star Trek Online's USS Voyager.
    ==========================================
    Captaincy, Excelsior-Class U.S.S. Bianca Beauchamp NCC-99947-F

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    - In the alternate future episode "All Good Things..." Admiral Riker was in command of a massively refitted Galaxy class starship. Given the year in the future parts of the episode as 2395, and the ship's commission year of 2364, the ship had less than 30 years in operation when "Starfleet tried to scrap her". The presumption behind this is less that the class was at the end of its service life, and more that the Flagship of the Federation was no longer a top-of-the-line ship. Starfleet more than likely wanted to reassign the nomenclature to a new starship from a class developed in the 2390s. Such a thing was done in 2293 to Captain Kirk and the Enterprise-A. After the Enterprise was decommissioned, its nomenclature was reassigned to a new Excelsior Class that was launched less than two years later.

In all good things it WAS the Enterprise D as Generations never Happened in that timeline and no one had given Troi the Keys to the helm...
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • Options
    unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Maybe they just move the dedication plaque over to a newly built intrepid class ship and called it voyager, while they re-named the original voyager (weird alien tech interrogated into federation starship case study "474747.74656.Janeway's Fault" )

You know to keep the Starfleet rank and file happy while they dissect Voyager at a secret Section 31 facility....

Or they put the original in a museum after study and "re-dedicated" a fresh built Intrepid ship as Voyager...
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    unotetsu wrote: »
    Maybe they just move the dedication plaque over to a newly built intrepid class ship and called it voyager, while they re-named the original voyager (weird alien tech interrogated into federation starship case study "474747.74656.Janeway's Fault" )

You know to keep the Starfleet rank and file happy while they dissect Voyager at a secret Section 31 facility....

Or they put the original in a museum after study and "re-dedicated" a fresh built Intrepid ship as Voyager...

wither one of those outcomes would be the NCC-74656-A unless they just renamed a ship and didnt keep the registry much like they did with the second Defiant.
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Looking forward to the mission content that will happen aboard Voyager. Otherwise why bother redoing the interiors at all?

(Also interested to see how they stand up to some of the Elite Force fan re-textures over the years. The Q3 engine aged incredibly well during it's lifespan.)

I prefer to think for the ship itself, she still ended up a museum piece just like during 'endgame's alternate timeline. Nothing about the future tech is all that much different from any countless other kinds of tech Voyager could have acquired given another 23 years traveling home.

Cannibalize her just the same, stick her in the Bay, and charge admission (kids 12 & under free). I cannot imagine after enduring the trip (trauma), that they'd turn around and send Voyager anywhere outside of Sol.

Now it's time for 'Full Circle' (not the books, I just think DeltaRising is a dumb name) so they pull her out of mothballs. Dust her off, give her a spit-shine, hand Tuvok the reins and away we go!

Voyager may lead this excursion, but she won't be doing the heavy lifting.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In modern navies, older warships are nearly continuously updated. In the show, the Enterprise-D received a number of updates to refits during show's course.

In regarding registry numbers and chronology, they have mostly been followed as chronological. Generally, the stragglers are due to mis-communication between Okuda and effects staff. As for the Prometheus, the Yamato, and the Zhukov, they are all known mis-communication registries that don't really poke holes in the chronological registry scheme. However, the chronological registry scheme is a modern Trek scheme, the TOS scheme followed something else.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Unfortunately, Star Trek trips over registry numbers over and over again when it comes to dating ships, and is not a reliable way to date. The Akira, Nova and I think the Steamrunner all suffer from registry dating inaccuracies >.<

No, it's not a reliable way to date a given vessel. But it's still a good rough indicator in many cases.