A black fly in my chardonnay
    Electric shocks when I touch certain metal objects
    Losing socks in the laundry
    Failing Algebra in junior high.

:P :P :P :P
  • Options
    dammitjim78dammitjim78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's probably just a Nigerian prince trying to give you money:D.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    I've been very carefull over the years to keep my personal information as secret as possible but, I think I've finally made a bad mistake. In all the years I've been online only in the past 3 months have I been harrassed by all these over seas phone calls. Honestlly I don't really know what or where thier Origin is. I'm getting at least 3 or 4 a day. Most of the time I can't make out what they say but its mostly people telling my computer has a virus and they need my information to fix it. Or its people trying to get me to fill out a loan. It goes on and on. So I got to thinking. Why am I getting all these phone calls. Then it hit me.l

This is purley speculation but, it was when ARC took over and I agreed to their terms and services. At the time I thought I could only play sto if I played it through arc (I know diff. now).
    So if Arc has sold my information. Do they have My pay pal password. Casue when I buy zen, I just click on the tab under my minimap and it goes through arc's set up.

I may just be paranoid, IDK but it sure is suspicious how I started getting the phone calls after I agreed to arc. Has anyone else been getting such phone calls or does someone know something that could help. It has become a problem.

when ever i get a phone call and its got an indian accent i put the phone down right up because its a scam before they mention what they really want. these indian call centers usually wait a few months with a runaround list and call you up again another point in the hopes you forgot your last call with them. but again, the indian accent is an immediate red phone down button on the phone.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,382 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    No, it's not Arc. Or TRIBBLE databases, or anything silly like that.

The numbers are dialed at random, by a simple computer program. If someone answers, that number is flagged, and one of their operators then calls you again, claiming to be from "Windows Technical Support". They want you to run a built-in diagnostic in Windows; it returns the usage patterns of the software you've accessed, which they will claim is a virus in your system. Good news, though - they can take care of it for you, all you have to do is give them remote access to your system! :rolleyes:

I get one of these calls every three or four days. You'd think they'd flag the 206, 253, and 360 area codes as "do not call", since we're local to Microsoft and know good and well that once they have your money, they could give a flying monkey whether you turn your computer into Patient Zero.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    No, it's not Arc. Or TRIBBLE databases, or anything silly like that.

The numbers are dialed at random, by a simple computer program. If someone answers, that number is flagged, and one of their operators then calls you again, claiming to be from "Windows Technical Support". They want you to run a built-in diagnostic in Windows; it returns the usage patterns of the software you've accessed, which they will claim is a virus in your system. Good news, though - they can take care of it for you, all you have to do is give them remote access to your system! :rolleyes:

I get one of these calls every three or four days. You'd think they'd flag the 206, 253, and 360 area codes as "do not call", since we're local to Microsoft and know good and well that once they have your money, they could give a flying monkey whether you turn your computer into Patient Zero.

This right here
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Here's the thing, there's a lot of strange calls people get, usually via cell phones to get around the do not call list (assuming you were on said list). If anyone is calling you claiming to be ARC, it's a scam. Pretty sure PWE wouldn't call you and say they are calling from their in game client.

EDIT: as above me, Robodialers can be a variable too. I've gotten both robodialers and people from cellphones.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The one thing I can't figure out about Arc conspiracists is that they somehow totally miss that Cryptic already has software on your computer. Arc, they say, is spyware. The game, however--that couldn't possibly be spyware. Of course not. What was I thinking?

As for the OP, no, it's coincidence, and coincidence is not causation. I've received at least one call at my house from some scammer with a foreign saying he was tech support responding to a report of a slow computer. We get called 3-4 times a month from someone trying to scam info from us while pretending to sell solar power systems.

We have an unlisted number and we're on the national do-not-call list.

Scammers don't always "get your number." In fact, you can go to the phone and dial randomly and someone will probably have that number. Most phone rooms just print exchange lists (TRIBBLE-yyy-0000 -> TRIBBLE-yyy-9999; that's US format but the principle works elsewhere) and hand them off to the employees (or fellow scammers) to call. It's gotten much cheaper to do now that most wireless phone plans have free long-distance calling.

Welcome to the 21st century, brother. Sure, we have cupcakes--but we also have high-tech scammers.
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    therealfluffytherealfluffy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Some things that I do when these people call:

• I claim there's someone at the front door and I ask them to hold. Some of them are very patient and can wait 10-15 minutes before they hang up. At least it's 10-15 minutes they can't bother someone else.
    • I play a stupid user and try to execute the commands they give me on my LINUX system. When they finally figure out I don't run Windows, they usually don't bother me more that day.
    • I ask if I can order rice, curry and chicken and have it delivered...
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is the best thread I've ever read here
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Some things that I do when these people call:

• I claim there's someone at the front door and I ask them to hold. Some of them are very patient and can wait 10-15 minutes before they hang up. At least it's 10-15 minutes they can't bother someone else.
    • I play a stupid user and try to execute the commands they give me on my LINUX system. When they finally figure out I don't run Windows, they usually don't bother me more that day.
    • I ask if I can order rice, curry and chicken and have it delivered...

I have an air horn next to my phone for just such an occasion.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I have seen that they " Train " them to use accents. It was found out over here when someone blew the whistle when they released to the Australian media footage of them in schools learning to speak with a Australian accent and English, American, etc. Just not scamers, but telemarketers as well.

Even when they put into practice a No Call List over here it worked for a while, then they just went over sea's and got around the damn thing that way. As in the Australian company couldn't be fined because their " Overseas Office " made the call from their overseas phone system. :rolleyes:

To quote McCoy " It learns fast, doesn't it? "

typical and im not surprised by this, the system is full of holes and eventually there will always be someone that will exploit it and eventually someone else spots it and before long its abused beyond reason. its not just governmental or whatever, even on this game the devs have to be very strict with their balance changes and such and we still have a2b builds, gw and dyson torp builds and a few other really destructive builds that just exploit what was unintended and still not fixed.

so a call center training their staff to change their accents, even the thickest accent to pretend to be whatever from wherever is nothing new.
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Here's the thing, there's a lot of strange calls people get, usually via cell phones to get around the do not call list (assuming you were on said list). If anyone is calling you claiming to be ARC, it's a scam. Pretty sure PWE wouldn't call you and say they are calling from their in game client.

EDIT: as above me, Robodialers can be a variable too. I've gotten both robodialers and people from cellphones.

as a rule game companies never contact you about personal and secured info ever unless you yourself want to change a few things and the system wants you to confirm your changes. other then that, you should never ever get an email about that stuff, same with phone calls or any other type of communications kit, even morse code if your like that.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You know, one of the worst things in Germany is - every citizen has to register his home address. That's not the problem. Fine, the information is needed for taxes and public services and what not.

The problem is - the registration of address offices sell (legally!) these information to companies that can now send you spam. (regular snail mail spam, of course, you don't need to give them phone number or e-mail address).

How sick is that? We are all about the right for privacy, there are official posts devoted to ensuring privacy rights are observed, companies may get into trouble for being irresponsible, we urge people to be cautious with Facebook and other social media. But a muncipal authority can sell my address.
    And I am normally more "pro-government" and don't have any real problems with paying taxes and social security and what not. But this is just so damn wrong.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just FYI:

ARC does ask for your phone number when you purchase zen by credit card. I don't know what happens with other payment methods.
  • Options
    miirikmiirik Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Someone post a picture of one of the old sims 1 creepy phone calls you get o_o
  • Options
    valastsarranvalastsarran Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2014
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    The one thing I can't figure out about Arc conspiracists is that they somehow totally miss that Cryptic already has software on your computer. Arc, they say, is spyware. The game, however--that couldn't possibly be spyware. Of course not. What was I thinking?

As for the OP, no, it's coincidence, and coincidence is not causation. I've received at least one call at my house from some scammer with a foreign saying he was tech support responding to a report of a slow computer. We get called 3-4 times a month from someone trying to scam info from us while pretending to sell solar power systems.

We have an unlisted number and we're on the national do-not-call list.

Scammers don't always "get your number." In fact, you can go to the phone and dial randomly and someone will probably have that number. Most phone rooms just print exchange lists (TRIBBLE-yyy-0000 -> TRIBBLE-yyy-9999; that's US format but the principle works elsewhere) and hand them off to the employees (or fellow scammers) to call. It's gotten much cheaper to do now that most wireless phone plans have free long-distance calling.

Welcome to the 21st century, brother. Sure, we have cupcakes--but we also have high-tech scammers.

*reads post, sits up - eyes wide* wait ....we have CUPCAKES? Damn ARC from keeping that from me.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Just FYI:

ARC does ask for your phone number when you purchase zen by credit card. I don't know what happens with other payment methods.

most transactions require specific information, probably by law or something to that effect. this is no different, however unless you got proof that cryptic is underhandedly dealing such info otherwise there is nothing to be concerned about.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My cat was always healthy, then i installed Arc, and I had to take him to the vet....i know this is not a coincidence.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hravik wrote: »
    I have an air horn next to my phone for just such an occasion.

The only thing I miss from the early dial-up modem days: Getting a telemarketing call, opening my terminal program, and sending my modem the "answer" command. :D
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,347 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    I've been very carefull over the years to keep my personal information as secret as possible but, I think I've finally made a bad mistake. In all the years I've been online only in the past 3 months have I been harrassed by all these over seas phone calls. Honestlly I don't really know what or where thier Origin is. I'm getting at least 3 or 4 a day. Most of the time I can't make out what they say but its mostly people telling my computer has a virus and they need my information to fix it. Or its people trying to get me to fill out a loan. It goes on and on. So I got to thinking. Why am I getting all these phone calls. Then it hit me.l

This is purley speculation but, it was when ARC took over and I agreed to their terms and services. At the time I thought I could only play sto if I played it through arc (I know diff. now).
    So if Arc has sold my information. Do they have My pay pal password. Casue when I buy zen, I just click on the tab under my minimap and it goes through arc's set up.

I may just be paranoid, IDK but it sure is suspicious how I started getting the phone calls after I agreed to arc. Has anyone else been getting such phone calls or does someone know something that could help. It has become a problem.

OP, there are several possible reasons, but the only one remotely related to Arc and PWE is Panda Media Booster.
    If you still have this installed, despite an announcement to uninstall it several months ago then you have yourself to blame.

Forum search for Panda media booster and you'll find the info you're looking for.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    OP, there are several possible reasons, but the only one remotely related to Arc and PWE is Panda Media Booster.
    If you still have this installed, despite an announcement to uninstall it several months ago then you have yourself to blame.

Forum search for Panda media booster and you'll find the info you're looking for.

*Pando, but otherwise correct.
  • Options
    savnokasavnoka Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    After I installed ARC I stopped receiving those kinds of calls.

... it's a conspiracy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    therealfluffytherealfluffy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The only thing I miss from the early dial-up modem days: Getting a telemarketing call, opening my terminal program, and sending my modem the "answer" command. :D

I always have a fax modem on standby for that exact reason. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    November 21, 1963: John F. Kennedy installs ARC.

Novermber 22, 1963: John F. Kennedy assassinated.

ARC is obviously to blame.
  • Options
    cptranger01cptranger01 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I use to use Arc, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Captain Ranger
    Liberated Borg
    Career Officer
    The Phoenix Division
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Andy Warhol gave me a golden phone and told me I can use it to talk to God. :eek:
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am married, to my wife no less... Is ARC to blame? :(
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In Sovjet Russia, Arc blames you! :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.