test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Strange phone calls? Is arc to blame?

hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
I've been very carefull over the years to keep my personal information as secret as possible but, I think I've finally made a bad mistake. In all the years I've been online only in the past 3 months have I been harrassed by all these over seas phone calls. Honestlly I don't really know what or where thier Origin is. I'm getting at least 3 or 4 a day. Most of the time I can't make out what they say but its mostly people telling my computer has a virus and they need my information to fix it. Or its people trying to get me to fill out a loan. It goes on and on. So I got to thinking. Why am I getting all these phone calls. Then it hit me.l

This is purley speculation but, it was when ARC took over and I agreed to their terms and services. At the time I thought I could only play sto if I played it through arc (I know diff. now).
So if Arc has sold my information. Do they have My pay pal password. Casue when I buy zen, I just click on the tab under my minimap and it goes through arc's set up.

I may just be paranoid, IDK but it sure is suspicious how I started getting the phone calls after I agreed to arc. Has anyone else been getting such phone calls or does someone know something that could help. It has become a problem.

P.S. If anything I have alerted the community to the evidence of Fraudware (can I coin that phase). I know now I'm not alone.

P.S.s. Everyones crazy but me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Tinfoil hat time...

No... It's not arc...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't recall cryptic or PWE ever asking for my phone number. I'm pretty sure it's not arc.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Tinfoil hat time...

No... It's not arc...

I totally stubbed my toe after I installed Arc.

Sure, call it a coincidence.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    May I ask which country you live in?

As if its the UK you may have been added to the public register
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I totally stubbed my toe after I installed Arc.

Sure, call it a coincidence.

Probably... and when I dropped my spoon earlier today and had to get a new one...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    gosabresgosabres Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Wasn't ARC responsible for the extinction of the Dodo?
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You know people are desperate for ARC complaints when we get to conspiracies like this.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ARC turned me into a newt....but then I got better.
  • Options
    vinsinarvinsinar Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I almost drowned from my diet mt dew after reading this post I laughed so hard.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Probably... and when I dropped my spoon earlier today and had to get a new one...
    Dang! So much for a "Perfect" World.
    gosabres wrote: »
    Wasn't ARC responsible for the extinction of the Dodo?
    Temporal Investigation is still looking into that.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Time to change the meds. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    You know people are desperate for ARC complaints when we get to conspiracies like this.

i laughed so hard after hearing this, but then i realized it was true
  • Options
    opak1opak1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Odds are no but Cryptic could have been TRIBBLE. If ARC is the only online account that you have, it may be...

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." - James T. Kirk
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Arc to blame? No. Peeping on your neighbors with a telescope? Quite possibly. :D
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited August 2014
    opak1 wrote: »
    Odds are no but Cryptic could have been TRIBBLE. If ARC is the only online account that you have, it may be...

Possibly If ARC had your number, which is doesn't ask for or even have a field for. So no.

And you sound like my mother. She's 72. Everything bad comes from her computer.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    opak1 wrote: »

Well... Cryptic was the Victim of a hacker back when still under Atari...

You know what it took for them to announce and do something about our accounts being compromised?

PWE takeover...

That was the very first thing I remember happening after PWE took over... I got a mail saying: "Yea, we reset your password because your account was compromised for 2 years, and you can't play untill you used this mail to change your PW".

Say waht you will about PWE... But they take account integrity very serious it seems.
  • Options
    opak1opak1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Everything bad does come from a computer. All the bills I get...computer generated. My credit report...computer generated. Those stupid billboards I have to look at on the way to work...computer generated. Star Wars prequels? Guess what..mostly computer generated. Wise up or you may be a victim too!!

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." - James T. Kirk
  • Options
    anyonkaanyonka Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have also had those phone calls, started before i installed arc, so i doubt they have anything to do with it. i tried to tell them to stop phoning but they didn't understand me etc. as they are overseas there apparently isn't anything that my phone provider can do. It's a scam (probably to install spyware or get money out of me) So when they ring i just hang up now.

PS i already joined TPS but it doesn't make any diference as they are overseas.
  • Options
    kamipoikamipoi Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    what companies wont tell you is they sell EVERYTHING including your phone number you may have bought something from walmart or a appliance store got a loan at a bank what ever it may be its probably not arc though that program does stink like all the steam client clones.

as for the ones that you have a virus well those may of phished your info from somewhere and your computer is compromised run some legitimate anti malware.(this you should do and ahve on a schedule of some sort)
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Every company sells info, Facebook probably the biggest culprit of them all.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Every company sells info, Facebook probably the biggest culprit of them all.

Wich is why you don't supply your actual info to such pages. They are playgrounds... Treat them as such.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I went to go make a sandwich but was all out of sandwich fixings. I think Arc did it.

THANKS ARCBAMA
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    vinsinar wrote: »
    I almost drowned from my diet mt dew after reading this post I laughed so hard.

Lol. This thread is brilliant!
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I installed ARC back when they were giving out the Ferengi Shuttle. Next day, I got a flat tire. Had to be ARC.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rinkster wrote: »

Did you get to make-it with a Starship Captain on some swamp-ridden planet?

If not, that was probably ARCs' fault too.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rinkster wrote: »

You can also build a bridge out of Arc. So, logically, Arc is a witch! :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    People mock that ARC isn't responsible, but I think it is........indirectly.

While it's possible someone could've TRIBBLE into PWE's system, I'm willing to bet the real culprit is the OP buying Zen, using a Credit Card. His Credit Report got bumped up to where businesses and con artist noticed and thought he was ripe for the pickings.

That's why the OP was getting phone calls regarding loans.

As for the guys calling about "viruses on your computer", those are definitely con artists who are really guessing you have a computer (who doesn't have a computer these days?) and trying to trick you into giving out important numbers (credit card, Social Security, etc). Simply tell them not to call anymore, or you report them to the authorities. (In the US, say you are on the no-call list and to stop calling).
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Tinfoil hat time...

No... It's not arc...
    Yeah I think Hyefather should stop wearing one.... Everyone knows they're really an amplifier for alien mind control. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah I think Hyefather should stop wearing one.... Everyone knows they're really an amplifier for alien mind control. :P

Also: They tend to attract lightning, frying your brain...

Wait...
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kamipoi wrote: »
    what companies wont tell you is they sell EVERYTHING including your phone number you may have bought something from walmart or a appliance store got a loan at a bank what ever it may be its probably not arc though that program does stink like all the steam client clones.

as for the ones that you have a virus well those may of phished your info from somewhere and your computer is compromised run some legitimate anti malware.(this you should do and ahve on a schedule of some sort)

Indeed, doesn't even need to be something recent.... someone you bought from online 5 years ago could have just decided to sell their customer list.
This discussion has been closed.