test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DEVS: STO 64Bit & DirectX 11 WHEN ?

rattraps123rattraps123 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
This is to all the DEVS, When are we going to see Star Trek Online get a 64 Bit engine & DirectX 11+ Graphics ?

The game engine needs to be updated to support more memory and multi-cpu cores and the next generation of GPU graphics, When are we going to see that for Star Trek Online ?

Running a Core i5 quad core cpu, 8gb of ram, 650 TI Nvidia graphics card, and the game performance is SO bad, Warframe and Tomb Raider 2013 run amazing.

Why is STO's game engine 11 years old now. it's based on the old Cryptic Engine originally created for City of Heroes. It's time this game engine get an upgrade.
cSLYSLc.gif
Post edited by rattraps123 on

Comments

• Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I second this.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    EASY now... Let them figure out how to do reflections first.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i sincerely doubt that 64 bit and directX11 would change the current problems this engine has in STO.

There seems to be something fundamentaly wrong when a huge number of players are in the same spot and fireing their weapons. 64 bit client may help, but i think to solve the problem a more fundamental change of how the UI works and what kind of effects are shown and which are not can only solve this problem.

Not saying they shouldn't upgrade, just saying that it might not be a big improvement anyway.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They'll propably get around to it when they have added the CPU => GPU fix as well. Or when a certain place freezes over or certain animals will fly.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    They'll propably get around to it when they have added the CPU => GPU fix as well. Or when a certain place freezes over or certain animals will fly.

I've made a weaponized T-Rex fly, a few centimeters but still, does that count?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    When can I play it on my tablet?
    Because sto is the only thing I use a pc for and when it dies, I will no longer be playing this game
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They would practically need a new engine for this, and in most cases, the benefit would be negligible to the average player.

Basically, it wouldn't be that profitable to them, but it would be a lot of work.
    2iBFtmg.png
  • Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Unless they do a MASSIVE revamp, this will never happen. Switching Game Engines from an established system to a new one is a logistical and development nightmare. Everything has to be redone. Artwork, game mechanics, modeling, animation, and probably a few others I am forgetting would all have to be recoded for the new engine.

x64 support isn't needed for this game.

As for Dx11, I'm still seeing too many problems with it. It's one reason many game companies are still using 9 and 9x.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    or certain animals will fly.

I love nature. If a pig wants to fly, I say let it.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    rattraps123rattraps123 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited August 2014

x64 support isn't needed for this game.

As for Dx11, I'm still seeing too many problems with it. It's one reason many game companies are still using 9 and 9x.

•A 32-bit typically only allows for up to about 4 gigabytes of RAM to be utilized by the OS or any of the installed programs. Therefore, it makes sense to only install 32-bit programs on a 32-bit operating system, as a 64-bit program would not be able to access any more RAM than a 32-bit program on a 32-bit operating system.

•A 64-bit allows for much higher RAM access and capacity. See your specific operating system specifications for further information on how much memory (RAM) can be utilized by your specific OS.

Game Companies are still making DirectX 9 games for Console support. STO is a PC game, Made for PC's .
    cSLYSLc.gif
  • Options
    bradaighbradaigh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    DX11 is in this game since a "long" time now.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    They also would like to have lazors on their head, right? :D
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Ya canna break the laws of ...errr....evolution captain! :eek:
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    With a bit of fiddling with compiler flags, it should be possible for Cryptic to get the compiler to generate a client that can use 3 gigs of memory on a 64 bit system. Going 64 bit, when they don't need to will generate a larger (and probably slower) client.
    Creating a multithreading client could be a potentially big win in terms of client performance, but it could easily involve a substantial rewrite. Code in separate threads needs to be isolated from each other and communicate in well defined, thread safe channels. It could almost certainly be done with the current client, but it could involve a substantial rewrite of the client.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I want hamsters with lazors on their heads.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    I want hamsters with lazors on their heads.

Server hamster concurs :D
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    i sincerely doubt that 64 bit and directX11 would change the current problems this engine has in STO.

There seems to be something fundamentaly wrong when a huge number of players are in the same spot and fireing their weapons. 64 bit client may help, but i think to solve the problem a more fundamental change of how the UI works and what kind of effects are shown and which are not can only solve this problem..

Near as I can tell, they're already doing this. When the scene is too crowded, and things become stuttery, they just disable half a dozen effects already (the most annoying of which is that you can't see your weps fire any more).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    *quarantines for being an Undine*
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is to all the DEVS, When are we going to see Star Trek Online get a 64 Bit engine & DirectX 11+ Graphics ?

The game engine needs to be updated to support more memory and multi-cpu cores and the next generation of GPU graphics, When are we going to see that for Star Trek Online ?

Running a Core i5 quad core cpu, 8gb of ram, 650 TI Nvidia graphics card, and the game performance is SO bad, Warframe and Tomb Raider 2013 run amazing.

Why is STO's game engine 11 years old now. it's based on the old Cryptic Engine originally created for City of Heroes. It's time this game engine get an upgrade.

This is not really how the stuff works.
    First, the game does support multi core. Probably not properly, but it does support them. All you have to do to support dual/quad/etc is make threads -- and each thread, thanks to the OS manager stuff, will migrate to other cores without anything special being done. Now, thread design so that the heaviest computations are divided across the cores efficiently... that is a burden for the programmer and could most likely be improved dramatically in this game.

Second, games do not "support memory". The operating system supports memory. I can ask for far more than 2^32 bytes of ram in a 32 bit program -- if you did that on a 32 bit os, it used virtual memory or you eventually ran dry but as long as the memory existed, it could be granted to the process. Not in one block, due to ther 32 bit issue, but the raw bytes could be allocated.

Third, DX 9 and higher provide excellent performance. They may not have the latest and greatest tweaks and effects in hardware, but you can do a great deal of graphics with these older libraries and you can do it FAST. If the engine is slow, that is the programmer at fault. If the graphics are a mess, that is also the programmer's fault. The performance, or lack thereof, is entirely the fault of the code, not the libraries used.

The engine should probably be updated, or re-written. And someday they may do that; many other current MMOS also use older libraries. Its expensive to update graphics, and such tasks are done infrequently.

I agree, the game performance is not good. But swapping out libraries won't help if the underlying code is clunky -- and, from my experiences with these tools, that *has* to be the actual issue...
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If I attempt to change my display option to anything except 'auto' the game crashes to desktop after the initial loading screen (fails to jump to character select). I have to use the launcher to force 'safe mode' and set it back to auto.

It also displays 2 of every option (ie DX11a, DX11b etc) despite my only having a single GPU.

I know why this happens, can you guess it?

But anyway, it doesn't matter if I use multithreading, or min-max graphics options. It wouldn't matter if my box could power the entire Matrix. If I'm in the Undine Battlezone or a STF with more than 5 other players, my game stutters and graphics begin culling.

It's absolutely a design/coding flaw, and not an issue of resource or performance.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    STO is a PC game, Made for PC's .

Actually, it is not quite.

Back before Champions Online, the Cryptic Engine was going to be used for a MMO called Marvel Universe Online (Marvel Online? not sure on the exact title offhand) for the PC and 360. That deal fell through, we got CO instead, etc etc.

You can to this day still find commented out code for the 360 stuff especially in CO.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014

As long as theirs a significant number of 32 bit XP, Vista and Windows 7, and 32bit laptop versions of Windows 8, the answer is probably NEVER as far as a 64 bit version is concerned, as your talking about maintaining 2 different versions of the game, with all of the coding nightmares that this involves...

(if you only knew about some basic programing concepts, such as word boundary alignment issues with data structures, you would begin to understand whats involved here...)
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As long as theirs a significant number of 32 bit XP, Vista and Windows 7, and 32bit laptop versions of Windows 8, the answer is probably NEVER as far as a 64 bit version is concerned, as your talking about maintaining 2 different versions of the game, with all of the coding nightmares that this involves...

(if you only knew about some basic programing concepts, such as word boundary alignment issues with data structures, you would begin to understand whats involved here...)

not so much. You can force a 64 bit program to align to the old 32 bit standards. The difficulty could vary from as little as 2 different compiles to large sections of code unique to each target, depending on what is needed and how things were done, but its not *necessary* to have a nightmare with such a system. I think the latest visual studio *still* supports user defined alignment for just such occasions? Not sure, I use an older version, but most likely it does.

and they already maintain 2 versions, mac and windows.
  • Options
    chrishellmax2363chrishellmax2363 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I support that only because my laptop runs 64 and windows 8.1. The only issues i have with graphics atm if the network to the game is slow. Which its been for the last two weeks.

64 will improve the game, but not enought to make them spend dolllars to please a few peeps.

That said, i support donkeys with lazers as long as they can take commands from bobo.
    Whether you think you are right or wrong, either way you are RIGHT.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    When can I play it on my tablet?
    Because sto is the only thing I use a pc for and when it dies, I will no longer be playing this game

Just buy a tablet capable of playing STO like the Surface 3 Pro. The Intel HD 4400 (found in any Intel Core i3/i5/i7 Haswell generation CPU) does a decent enough job running STO. I have tested out running STO on my laptop with the Intel HD 4400 graphics core instead of the Radeon HD 8850m dedicated GPU playing at 1600x900 resolution and low graphic settings. I have done this for a few days, probably for around 10 - 15 hours and have found the performance to be acceptable. Sure it ran better using the Radeon HD 8850m, but I think the Intel HD 4400 did a pretty good job for an integrated graphics core.

Intel will be releasing the 5th generation of Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs in the 1st quarter of 2015; it is known as Broadwell. The main drive is to reduce power consumption and increase graphics core performance. There is no official word yet, but based on previous performance increases of their Intel HD graphics core, I would expect about a 30% increase in performance.

Tablets based on the upcoming Broadwell generation of Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs will likely come out during the 2nd quarter of 2015.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    This is not really how the stuff works.
    First, the game does support multi core. Probably not properly, but it does support them. All you have to do to support dual/quad/etc is make threads -- and each thread, thanks to the OS manager stuff, will migrate to other cores without anything special being done. Now, thread design so that the heaviest computations are divided across the cores efficiently... that is a burden for the programmer and could most likely be improved dramatically in this game.

Second, games do not "support memory". The operating system supports memory. I can ask for far more than 2^32 bytes of ram in a 32 bit program -- if you did that on a 32 bit os, it used virtual memory or you eventually ran dry but as long as the memory existed, it could be granted to the process. Not in one block, due to ther 32 bit issue, but the raw bytes could be allocated.

As far as I know, the STO client is single threaded. DirectX or the network stack might start some threads, but by and large, it's single threaded.

As for memory, Win32 lets you have 2 GB. Doesn't matter how much memory the box has or whether the box is running a 32 or 64 bit OS. If you know what you're doing, you can set a flag in your binary, and the OS will give you 3 GB. (This is NOT supported by at least some versions of the standard MS C++ memory manager. I'm not sure if the current one does or doesn't.) Some versions of Windows Datacenter supported LBA mode, where a 32 bit process could use all the memory on the box (other than what the OS was using, of course), but then you're dealing with selectors and writing your own memory manager. This was mostly used by databases and exchange.
    Short version, you get 2 gigs max in Win32. You might be able to bop that up to 3 if you know what you're doing. Otherwise, you're better off biting the bullet and just going 64 bit.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Just buy a tablet capable of playing STO like the Surface 3 Pro. The Intel HD 4400 (found in any Intel Core i3/i5/i7 Haswell generation CPU) does a decent enough job running STO. I have tested out running STO on my laptop with the Intel HD 4400 graphics core instead of the Radeon HD 8850m dedicated GPU playing at 1600x900 resolution and low graphic settings. I have done this for a few days, probably for around 10 - 15 hours and have found the performance to be acceptable. Sure it ran better using the Radeon HD 8850m, but I think the Intel HD 4400 did a pretty good job for an integrated graphics core.

Intel will be releasing the 5th generation of Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs in the 1st quarter of 2015; it is known as Broadwell. The main drive is to reduce power consumption and increase graphics core performance. There is no official word yet, but based on previous performance increases of their Intel HD graphics core, I would expect about a 30% increase in performance.

Tablets based on the upcoming Broadwell generation of Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs will likely come out during the 2nd quarter of 2015.

And I can just connect this core i3/i5/i7 CPU into my ipad airs aux port? Sweetness
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    The Intel HD 4400 (found in any Intel Core i3/i5/i7 Haswell generation CPU) does a decent enough job running STO. I have tested out running STO on my laptop with the Intel HD 4400 graphics core instead of the Radeon HD 8850m dedicated GPU playing at 1600x900 resolution and low graphic settings. I have done this for a few days, probably for around 10 - 15 hours and have found the performance to be acceptable.

I play using the Intel HD4000, and the only issue I've seen was graphics not rendering during the powerboard race on Risa if there were a bunch of people in front of me. For that matter, the previous generation of Intel integrated chips did fine for me too. It may not be awesome, but it's at least adequate.
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I believe the client is 64bit on 64bit machines. You can tell if it's 32bit by opening task manager. Look for GameClient.exe and if there is an asterisk next to it... then it's 32bit.

I doubt it's not 64bit as I swear I've seen it use more then 2GB of a RAM on my PC... I'll have to look when I get home. While 32bit machines are limited to 4GB as a whole... individual 32bit processes are limited to 2GB.

The engine is old and needs some love/optimization. Until they do that, it will suck.
This discussion has been closed.