test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DEVS: STO 64Bit & DirectX 11 WHEN ?

13»

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is to all the DEVS, When are we going to see Star Trek Online get a 64 Bit engine & DirectX 11+ Graphics ?

Here's a tip. Go digging around in the graphics options. You will find that this game already has the option to run on DX11. I've been doing it for months and it works great. As for 64-bit, what good is that going to do? All that changes is the amount of computer memory the game can use. That's not going to affect the graphics; that's down to buggy programming and the power of your GPU and its internal memory, which is not affected by whether it's a 64 or 32-bit program.

Next time please use a dictionary before blindly parroting industry buzzwords.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    The game already supports DX11. :D And the light is so much prettier with it. For instance, try and look at the 'Haywire' glow glistening off your bow, with DX11 enabled: it looks awesome.

As for 64 bit, the game doesn't really need it.

Totally wrong lol, said even by cryptic back in the days millions of times. DX11 DOES NOT improve quality, just performance.

Dudes, seriously stop seeing things usind dx11 that you want to see and are not there... xD.

I did thousands of tests back in the days. The Quality is exactly the same. The only thing DX11 does to STO (said by the devs) is increasing performance (again, xD, this is just theory). And yes, one thing is to support DX11, one completely different thing is to actually use those libraries. xD.

And no the game doesnt need 64bits, but it will be far BETTER running in a 64bits system. Of course, the game engine will need to be updated as well, if not, this solution will not work lol.
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    I don't support putting man-hours in an idea which doesn't really have any improvement except to say that it supports x64.

And even if they're going for an v2 engine, how long would it take for them to create the framework and to convert any material to the new engine? And better yet; what content will they skip to prevent any mistake/problem they've made in this engine? Does this mean that all the foundry missions will be skipped? Probably, since they're all based on the archaic v1 engine. Consider the implications.

So, what you are sugessting is , that cryptic directly close the servers. Right? , well, i still like the game and i would like to see it ported to a better game engine. I know knowing cryptic trajectory we will need a miracle to see this, but its the only solution to avoid the end of the game. Some of you still dont get it lol.
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is to all the DEVS, When are we going to see Star Trek Online get a 64 Bit engine & DirectX 11+ Graphics ?

The game engine needs to be updated to support more memory and multi-cpu cores and the next generation of GPU graphics, When are we going to see that for Star Trek Online ?

Running a Core i5 quad core cpu, 8gb of ram, 650 TI Nvidia graphics card, and the game performance is SO bad, Warframe and Tomb Raider 2013 run amazing.

Why is STO's game engine 11 years old now. it's based on the old Cryptic Engine originally created for City of Heroes. It's time this game engine get an upgrade.
    Upgrading 'Star Trek: Online' to 64-bit would require a major overhaul. Textures and models would have to be rebuilt from scratch. Core aspects of the game engine may also have to be overhauled. Since Cryptic is converting 'Star Trek: Online' into a mobile device game, Direct X11 would not be able to work on those primitive devices. iPhones, Smartphones, and tablets are very primitive devices.
    So, what you are sugessting is , that cryptic directly close the servers. Right? , well, i still like the game and i would like to see it ported to a better game engine. I know knowing cryptic trajectory we will need a miracle to see this, but its the only solution to avoid the end of the game. Some of you still dont get it lol.
    All good things must and shall come to an end.
  • deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    textures wouldn't have to be touched for 64 bit conversion, core code would have to be modified. the *2* advantages is more usable ram, AND chomping data in 64 bit bites instead of 32. faster is an understatement.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I looked at their ads for programmers, and the ones I looked at mentioned experience with the Unreal engine being a plus. Either they're using it on some new project, or they're mentioning it just because it's a popular 3d engine.
  • rattraps123rattraps123 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Keep this thread going guys. Let the DEVS know you support this ~ T
    cSLYSLc.gif
  • bl33dzgr33nbl33dzgr33n Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Dual Graphics cards, tons of games and the only one I want to play is outdated and terribly aging. Gut the engine, we've dumped a lot of money into this game, don't tell us it's not possible. It's 2016, and most of what's in the game is real life (or a sizable portion,) it's time the graphics and engine followed suit.

64-Bit Engine, DX11/12 UPGRADE Request
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Holy necro boinkers!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,613 Arc User
    Dual Graphics cards, tons of games and the only one I want to play is outdated and terribly aging. Gut the engine, we've dumped a lot of money into this game, don't tell us it's not possible. It's 2016, and most of what's in the game is real life (or a sizable portion,) it's time the graphics and engine followed suit.

64-Bit Engine, DX11/12 UPGRADE Request

Silly necromancer!

64bitness by itself does nothing. DX12 and Vulkan by themselves do nothing. Cryptic is already working on visual upgrades that do not require any of those things.
  • sui2ksui2k Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    don't call it "upgrades" , after a look at the console version and the "before / after" pictures it is clearly a downgrade of graphics.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    sui2k wrote: »
    don't call it "upgrades" , after a look at the console version and the "before / after" pictures it is clearly a downgrade of graphics.

Test it on Tribble, it's an upgrade all the way... and if you dont like it, you can still use DX9 rendering, and you got the same old, colors et all, they even added FXAA to the antialiasing options, and looks great on DX9!, i'll use DX11, looks way better..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Takofanes_003.jpg
    O_o! Takofanes is attacking STO now? O_O run away!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 718 Arc User

The game engine needs to be updated to support more memory and multi-cpu cores and the next generation of GPU graphics, When are we going to see that for Star Trek Online ?

Running a Core i5 quad core cpu, 8gb of ram, 650 TI Nvidia graphics card, and the game performance is SO bad, Warframe and Tomb Raider 2013 run amazing.

Why is STO's game engine 11 years old now. it's based on the old Cryptic Engine originally created for City of Heroes. It's time this game engine get an upgrade.

Forget DirectX 11 lets go for DirectX 12
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Uh.. Takofanes only makes things rise from the grave. He doesn't like leaving things dead.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.