test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Story Content practically guaranteed to put you in Test Drive ships, not your T5s

doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
Dont worry, if all you want to do is play story content, like I do, then dont worry about your favorite T5 ship being underpowered in the new content. You wont get to fly your own ship or have your own FULL crew of 4 BOFFs on the ground for featured content anyways. :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt the pattern of advertising the latest puke ships from Cryptic in the featured episodes will stop. They forget we invested time and money into our OWN ships and want to fly OUR ships and want to beam down with OUR crew family. Not the latest test drive ship on the lot, and a cast of story characters in the place of our FAMILY of BOFFs. :mad:

I dare a Dev to come in and prove me wrong and go on the record there will be NO Test Drive ships forced on us in the new featured content. Cryptic, if you want to tempt players to buy a new ship, then feature those ships as allies or enemies in the featured content. You dont sideline OUR ships that we ALREADY spent MONEY on, and look forward to flying them in NEW CONTENT that this game seriously starves us of.

Anyone who actually bought and liked a Dyson ship or Obelisk ship, dont expect to fly those now in new Delta Rising featured content. But dont worry, you can fly them in the repeatable grind content. :rolleyes:
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
Post edited by doubleohnine on

Comments

• Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited August 2014
    Anyone who actually bought and liked a Dyson ship or Obelisk ship, dont expect to fly those now in new Delta Rising featured content. But dont worry, you can fly them in the repeatable grind content. :rolleyes:

I dunno about that, I fly all the free ships Cryptic has given, and I find them to be really good...

But that's just me, and EXPECT ME to be flying a Luxury Cruiser in Delta Rising featured content...
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    based off the recent episodes they have done...it is highly unlikely that we don't see at least one new episode with a forced to use ship that is not our own happen...

quiet frankly it is annoying...because before you can even get into the battle or whatever you need to sit there and fix the hotbar, adjust powers and just about everything else including reading what the new boff powers are since they are unique and not the basic ones we have access to.

While on one hand I can see why this is done (to boost sales of said ship) on the other it makes replay value oh so very annoying
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, I hated when Cryptic made me fly my ship, and had my crew beam down during the last FE, CRYPTIC YOU SUCK!!!!!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I dunno about that, I fly all the free ships Cryptic has given, and I find them to be really good...

But that's just me, and EXPECT ME to be flying a Luxury Cruiser in Delta Rising featured content...

You wont get a choice. You dont remember getting forced into the Enterprise C, Obelisk, and Dyson ship? Say for instance there are 4 Featured Episodes per faction in Season 10. Expect to fly a Test Drive ship 3 out of 4 of those, if not all 4. Cryptic has new ships to sell, and you can guarantee that they will be forced down our throat in the best content of the game.
  • Options
    mosquito214mosquito214 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Surface Tension, the latest FE, had us in our own ships. There might be one episode where we fly a newer ship, but I'm expecting to get hopefully quite a few missions out of this expansion.

I also doubt there are going to be missions "per faction". I think a big point of getting the peace treaty in the last mission was so they don't have to make faction-specific missions anymore. So instead of four per faction, we could get 12 for everyone!

Frankly I'm more concerned if they'll be solo-only. I used to enjoy going through the storyline with a friend, but every single new mission since Temporal Ambassador has been single-player.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    bunansa wrote: »
    based off the recent episodes they have done...it is highly unlikely that we don't see at least one new episode with a forced to use ship that is not our own happen...

quiet frankly it is annoying...because before you can even get into the battle or whatever you need to sit there and fix the hotbar, adjust powers and just about everything else including reading what the new boff powers are since they are unique and not the basic ones we have access to.

While on one hand I can see why this is done (to boost sales of said ship) on the other it makes replay value oh so very annoying

That too

If you want to tempt ME to buy a new ship, write it so that an allied captain has it along side MY ship. If you want to show off a ship's new ability, write it so that the NPC Captain uses the new power against enemy ships in a cut scene or something. I dont need to be behind the chair of a generic loadout ship. Tease the player, and make us wonder what its like to fly the ship after we've loaded it up with high end gear(if thats your thing). If a player really wants it, the "ally tease" is enough to get the sale. Thats the best most FAIR route to advertise new ships, rather than sideline ships we've ALREADY PAID FOR.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    You wont get a choice. You dont remember getting forced into the Enterprise C, Obelisk, and Dyson ship? Say for instance there are 4 Featured Episodes per faction in Season 10. Expect to fly a Test Drive ship 3 out of 4 of those, if not all 4. Cryptic has new ships to sell, and you can guarantee that they will be forced down our throat in the best content of the game.

1st of all, I've no clue what you're talking about... and 2nd... I thought Expansion 2 was before season 10, where are you getting this info from Season 10? And Cryptic wont be forcing anything on me... just an FYI...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Yeah, I hated when Cryptic made me fly my ship, and had my crew beam down during the last FE, CRYPTIC YOU SUCK!!!!!

That was the first one after a 3 FE string of Test Drive ship story missions. And those FEs were spread out by SEVERAL MONTHS.

I dont want even ONE Featured Episode to Sideline my ship and my crew. But Im fully expecting 75% of the new content to sideline my stuff.
  • Options
    mosquito214mosquito214 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If you want to temp ME to buy a new ship, write it so that an allied captain has it along side MY ship. If you want to show off a ship's new ability, write it so that the NPC Captain uses the new power against enemy ships in a cut scene or something.

The problem is, how often do you really notice what your NPC allies are doing, enough to appreciate the ship itself? Mostly they rush in and get taken out because they're far below what a player ship can be.

On the other hand, Shon's Aquarius run in the last FE actually got me tempted to buy the Odyssey. You're right, having stuff like that helps. But honestly, the most effective sales pitch to me were the First Contact Day missions. Sure, the builds sucked, but I'd never flown an Odyssey or Scimitar before. It was kind of impressive.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    To be honest I don't really care about test flying a new ship during missions, I'm just sick of being forced to leave my boffs behind on away missions.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That was the first one after a 3 FE string of Test Drive ship story missions. And those FEs were spread out by SEVERAL MONTHS.

I dont want even ONE Featured Episode to Sideline my ship and my crew. But Im fully expecting 75% of the new content to sideline my stuff.

Well then you're a gods damned idiot.

How many Romulan missions in LoR had you fly something other than your ship? Yeah.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Ooooooooooh ok now... I get you... you creating rumors... I thought you had hard solid facts from Cryptic... ok then... nvm... Another dead thread here guys...
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I like having a free run in a new ship before deciding to buy it. And making us use something that doesn't have all Mk XII purple equipment and different boff powers really makes you look at your build and possibly reconsider certain choices you've made about it. I remember when they had the temporary mission to command the enterprise-f, and looking at the console layout made me rethink how I had set up my own ship. Now it works even better than it did before. And if I get a free ship in the process, that works too. I'm always up for new things. And, once again, I ask people posting opinions to stick with the terms we, me, and I rather than we and us. You don't speak for the entire community.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That's a problem? Who cares if one is forced into it? You don't get to keep the ship after you're done with it, so there's no issue there. If you want to get the ship after flying it, that's perfectly fine. If you don't want the ship, then don't get it, which is also perfectly fine.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    One very important thing missing here: Argumentation.

All I see is "I think they will make us test the ships". But not a single reason as to why.

So pretty much "empty threats".
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    >SNIP<
    And, once again, I ask people posting opinions to stick with the terms we, me, and I rather than we and us. You don't speak for the entire community.

This.... This... a X1000 times.... this!!!!
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Practically guaranteed?

Don't you mean, worst case scenario?

All you have is speculation based on extrapolation

One could just as easily say that recent history in this regard shows cryptic have learned their lesson and we are practically guaranteed to fly our own ships.

Pure strawman stuff, stop it.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Oh look, more "you dont speak for me" posts. :rolleyes: I never said I was.

Cryptic's pattern of FEs lately proves Im going to be right most likely. You want to drink the Koolaid and believe they'll NEVER sideline your ship and crew again, good luck with that.

You cant count the Romulan faction release content in this particular argument. Im sure this time around you'll get forced into a new T6 Romulan ship in their version of the same story content we all play.

This game is BUILT on the Feds. We run the show here, whether you like it or not. We put the money in Cryptic pockets. As a player who is a Star Trek fan FIRST, the shows taught us to love the lore of our ship and the family of our crew. And most of the featured STORY content in this game lately, something us STORY focused players are STARVED for, sidelines our ships and or our crews. Im not here to be an MMO grinder. This game is still my first and ONLY MMO I play. Im here for the story, and Im frankly shocked that anyone who isnt a loyal Trekkie even bothers to play this game the way its run.

Moral of the thread, Cryptic should NEVER sideline our ship and our crew in Featured Story content (that they reluctantly give us once every 9 months or so), the FOUNDATION the lore of this franchise was based on. Im here to enjoy MY ship and MY crew in ALL the story content. Its absolutely MORONIC for them to starve the story content loving player base in this game, then when they do provide it, they sideline our ships and crew, the same ship and crew we've built up just waiting to show our stuff in the next Featured Episode. All the down time between Featured Episodes is spent building up our ship and crew, its Star Trek SOUL CRUSHING to then sideline them once the new RARE full story content missions come out.
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Does anyone actually remember how long ago it was where we got to use our Boffs during a FE? I think it was Facility 4028 which came out in March 2012.
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I actually like the test drive ships, I get a fun taste and then go back to my regular ship.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I actually like the test drive ships, I get a fun taste and then go back to my regular ship.

Then make those cute little fleet yard ship missions for Test drives. Even though I thought the Odyssey was ugly and never bought one, I still played the little test mission just to see if it would change my mind. It didnt. A separate fleet yard test mission, with maybe a tiny story, that takes 15-20 min to complete, like a quickie cluster mission, doesnt take a lot of dev resources to make, and it counts toward the content count for the new season/expansion release.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    Does anyone actually remember how long ago it was where we got to use our Boffs during a FE? I think it was Facility 4028 which came out in March 2012.

And that was just ONE BO as I recall.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My biggest gripe with test drive ships is that it is too much of a hassle to re-arrange the abilities into something that makes some sort of sense each play-through so I just set all the weapons to autofire and hope some decent abilities wound up in my spacebar tray.

Ok, that's my second biggest gripe. My ship's layout getting screwed up by a test drive ship is my biggest gripe with them.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014

got to say, the first time they did that, it was cool. Second time... okay not original, but okay . Third time, it got annoying cause i didn't know all the Boff powers and i wanted to play my ship for the big attack. I really hope this is not going to be a staple going forward.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm a bit on the fence on that one. Maybe build the test-drive missions to have bouth? While I really do enjoy the far higher than most mmos (or even singleplayer games) quality/ gameplaydiversity in the newest storyline missions I do am bothered by the fact that it has not been the bold <playercrew> with the legendary <IKS/USS/RRW Playership> that rushes in to save the day.

Maybe on future testdrives one part testdrive as first part of the mission and the second part where the player can choose to save the day in the test ship or her/his own?
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm a bit on the fence on that one. Maybe build the test-drive missions to have bouth? While I really do enjoy the far higher than most mmos (or even singleplayer games) quality/ gameplaydiversity in the newest storyline missions I do am bothered by the fact that it has not been the bold <playercrew> with the legendary <IKS/USS/RRW Playership> that rushes in to save the day.

Maybe on future testdrives one part testdrive as first part of the mission and the second part where the player can choose to save the day in the test ship or her/his own?

Players should have the option of flying the new ship or their own. It is a huge turn-off for me when I'm forced to have to rearrange boff powers everytime I replay that FE. It's also immersion breaking to force me to fly a ship that isn't my own, Ok, I will concede that one test run FE isn't too bad but don't make me do it again on the second play through.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm going to have to disagree

I much prefer to get a Try before I buy. Thats all really, other than that I like a little change of pace.

How much hassle is it really, I mean really, Its one portion of a mission usually, the rest tend to take place on the ground anyway, the time you spend in the ship is very short, and you can get back to your ship in no time at all
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    sarek93sarek93 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And to be fair, most test ships are ones you can get for free during either a featured episode or from a grind fest. I don't think there won't be any missions that don't have a try before you buy ship but given the amount of story content they will have to put in to bridge level 50 to 60, I think there will be plenty of missions without that feature.
    "Insufficient facts always invite danger." - Spock