What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Remove department heads

Comments

• Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Given the limitations of the new UI I'd rather see everything moved to the department heads than the other way around. Not interested in scrolling to death to find anything.

I would prefer this as well
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Man, there are some dense people on the forums.

Pot, meet Kettle.

I think of it as a folder-esqe organizing system. Rather than have everything on one screen (and thus having death by scrolling) everything is organized by departments in separate folders.

It is one of the better things about department heads. And considering how much has been removed lately, we shouldn't be giving Cryptic ideas. Come up with a way to make it better.

And OP needs to seriously think about the RP aspects. Somehow BOFFS that have been with us since the beginning of our adventures and are deemed worthy in our stories to be assigned as a department heads and this has no RP value? Please check yourself before calling others dense.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited July 2014
    Interesting... Today's Tribble patch notes sais this
    • Removed the Department Heads tab from the Roster overtab.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Interesting...

It was kind of funny, cause I never even noticed it at the bottom of the roster list. Sure enough, it's there on Holodeck for some odd reason as well as being on the assignments tab.
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014

[/LIST]

Well there goes that bit of role playing.

Might as well call the game "Star Trek Generic Shooter: The Wrath of Grind."
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014

[/LIST]

Yeah, more doff nerfing, i love it! :P, if it was bad, now without the department heads, all my doffs will jump in space without a reason to live.. :(
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    There is no current point to department heads...not even for RP. And to have all their doff missions funneled into current map/personal would be fan-flipping-tastic.

Cheers and thank you for reading/possible consideration

Well, there goes doffing to hell.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Congrats OP... you just killed DOffing entirely.
    *Insert sarcasm here in case its not obvious due to text*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Congrats OP... you just killed DOffing entirely.
    *Insert sarcasm here in case its not obvious due to text*

/fistpump

Now to foreshadow other future tribble notes
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm on Tribble as I type this post. I'm pleased that any reported demise of the Department Heads has been premature. Because that isn't what the patch July 29th patch notes actually say. The Assignments tab of the Doff UI remains as it was pre-Season 9.5. We continue to have the choice of selecting a Department Head from amongst our Bridge Officer's. And the buttons for Doff assignments remain for each Department Head.

Nothing else to see here. Move along... :cool:
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2014

[/LIST]

yes it was removed from the overtab only. its still there as a tab on the side panel when you click on assignments.
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Department Heads is one of the few parts of this game that make your assortment of bridge officers actually feel like a crew. I set Department Heads, even on characters that I haven't started DOFFing on. Removing them would take away yet another little bit of Trek feel from a game that's been losing it hand over fist in recent months.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    NO!!! There's nothing wrong with the department heads design. Its not affecting anyone or anything right now, so there's no need to do anything to it. Leave it the hell alone. We don't need more changes and broken code than we already have. This is just asking for unnecessary changes that are a complete waste of time.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    This is just asking for unnecessary changes that are a complete waste of time.

Welcome to STO. :P
  • Options
    bi0f0dd3rbi0f0dd3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Guys, guys, guys...im not wsaying remove the doff missions the provide but move the lists to under current map and personal. Better workflow that way

no....this will do nothing but make more assignments unavailable each time, or if you're suggesting

simply making the list 9000 pages long to scroll through it's still a awful idea. How does scrolling forever

improve work flow? It just turns it to one huge mess rather than having separate departments.

Need an engineering assignment, you check engineering, not scroll for 5 minutes through a HUGE list

of assignments.
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm going to post on this topic without having read the feedback...

* Leave the Department Heads in place.

* I find myself playing STO less and less, due to the incredibly bad Dev decisions with the DOff and Crafting UI/functionality changes. (And spending ZERO on Zen.) But I like to know which BOff characters I've assigned (even as a fantasy element) on my ships. It's one aspect of the UI changes which didn't cause a serious concern for me. And it's a carryover from the prior UI which makes sense.

* From his recent podcast interview, I understand CaptainGeko is seeking ideas on what to do with the Department Heads section. If there's an unwillingness to read feedback, then don't ask. But if you're taking forum feedback seriously...

1.) Create Department Head assignments within the ship interiors. DOUBLE the rewards for those activating the rewards by visiting the BOff at their ship interior station. Provide NORMAL rewards for those who only use the DOff UI to start Department Head-related tasks.

Think I'm crazy to suggest that?

For years, STO has struggled with getting players engaged in their ship interiors. Voila! There's one solution.

2.) Do the same thing for crafting: Assign an area within the ship interiors for crafting. Figure out an incentive to cut crafting costs. (I seriously doubt the random "roll of the dice" for crafting outcomes will be removed, or I'd suggest removing it for all ship interior crafting efforts.)

3.) Back to the Department Head assignments: Remove the Department Head section; simply stack all open assignments in the main DOff assigment window.

Of course, you'll scroll... and scroll... to get to those missions. :rolleyes:

In other words, leave the Department Heads section alone within the DOff UI, thankyouverymuch.

But consider the ship interiors idea. Just don't remove it from the DOff UI. It should be accessible in both places: ship interiors (with greater rewards) and the DOff UI.
  • Options
    antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No.

Department heads are great.

Although it would be nice if they made it so your ship didn't automatically stop in sector space every time you clicked on a department head.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Oh yes, delete them to raise the average quality of the game. [/Sarcasm].
    I need a beer.

• Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There is no current point to department heads...not even for RP. And to have all their doff missions funneled into current map/personal would be fan-flipping-tastic.

NEGATORY, nope, keep it as is. It is not hurting anyone & there is a way around the department head recommendations, so its not hurting anyone.

Besides it looks cool seeing your ship command structure on the UI, even though their recommendations are mostly useless. Besides who the heck uses those recommendations anyways, LOL.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    thomasp94232thomasp94232 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2014

NO! This is a horrible idea.

I've been here since beta
  • Options
    titaniumworldtitaniumworld Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    antzudan wrote: »
    No.

Department heads are great.

Although it would be nice if they made it so your ship didn't automatically stop in sector space every time you clicked on a department head.

one of the setting in options will make it so you don't stop when you click on department head, I don't remember what its called but its there.

I would like the option that when click on department heads I could get a list of all their missions I hate having to open each menu.
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Are you talking about the department head tab in the Duty Officer window. That's extremely useful, that's the quick way to get DOff assignments that you'd have to go to the ready room on your Bridge to access
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Are you talking about the department head tab in the Duty Officer window. That's extremely useful, that's the quick way to get DOff assignments that you'd have to go to the ready room on your Bridge to access

What if those missions were just funneled to current map?

This guy...he knows what big talking about
    I would like the option that when click on department heads I could get a list of all their missions I hate having to open each menu.
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    if it has no use dont see the point in keeping it takes up space in download dives new players away also new player get lost and dont know what to do with something that has no point it would confuse them :D

so has my vote
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You forgot to add that new players will get lost using it?

ok i updated my original post :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I work to keep my commendations up for the fleet marks. if I need more in medical I go to my department head to easily find medical missions.

I like the department heads.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014

it would be flipping-tastic alright.. for the fan that is when all that brown stuff hits it. my answer is no its not a good idea to lose a useful reference point.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Then you'd have a giant unwieldy list that is difficult to sort through.

Department heads has some limited function as a way of sorting through assignments.

I know that,if I want to concentrate on exploration, I can click on the science department head and get a list of exploration missions easily.

Department heads also give those of us who want it, a sense of how our bridge crew is made up.

I, for one, value that.

No functionality is added by removing department heads, it makes nothing particulary easier.

Dreadful idea.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

This guy...he knows what big talking about

I think some people still dont understand what are the mechanics of the department heads.

Like in the real life, your department heads are specialized people that can work by emselves in some assignments, and those assignments are not part of the general assignments map. And for me, having every category indexed is really useful, specially now that the stupid new doff UI is so big and unpractical.

If you tell me that they are going to move all the department head assignments to the general tab, well, that will be another option, but again, the main problem will be the doff UI, too big and you will need hours to scroll down for all the assignments presents in every sector. Again, it will be a step back in the evolution of this system.