test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Remove department heads

dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
There is no current point to department heads...not even for RP. And to have all their doff missions funneled into current map/personal would be fan-flipping-tastic.

Cheers and thank you for reading/possible consideration
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Post edited by dahminus on

Comments

• Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    no bad idea
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Agreed, the new interface puts a barrier between you and them anyway by sticking them behind an extra click. If the goal was streamlining the doff system then current map missions should at least include the department missions in the current map too.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No, hard enough to find the missions I want now w/ the new interface. Leave the separations. What Cryptic needs to do is have a NEW section that shows you, in frequency order, the missions you do the most so we don't have to hunt for the ones that have the high payout!
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hasn't there been removal enough?
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Given the limitations of the new UI I'd rather see everything moved to the department heads than the other way around. Not interested in scrolling to death to find anything.
  • Options
    derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Given the limitations of the new UI I'd rather see everything moved to the department heads than the other way around. Not interested in scrolling to death to find anything.

i second this everything should go through both dept heads and in ship interiors ... this would be so much better then all these open screens . gets to crazy
  • Options
    geminisierrageminisierra Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Agreed, the new interface puts a barrier between you and them anyway by sticking them behind an extra click. If the goal was streamlining the doff system then current map missions should at least include the department missions in the current map too.

as far as I remember, they've just moved the Department Heads tab from the top of the interface to the side of the interface. same number of clicks as before...

I think I might like to see the missions all under the department headsbut then I'd like to see more department heads so that things like science and exploration are two different departments, tactical would be just military, espionage under intelligence... etc.
  • Options
    zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sure, lets remove something else from the game so Cryptic won't have to improve it like they said they would eventually. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No thank you. I like the department heads. it could do with going back on to the top bar but geko said they were still arranging things so it probably will move.

i see no reason to take it out. it helps you quickly focus on one category if you need it, and usually has some good assignments.
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The new doff system is already too bad, dont remove the department heads.. besides, people forget that you can get extra assignments just searching for each of the department heads. For example, in a KDF, the marauding department head is essential since it will show you sometimes marauding assignments not available in the general tab. If they remove department heads, they will need to move those assignments to the general tab and i dont think they will succeed.. :(, we already lost a lot of assignments in the star clusters.. im afraid, the more they gonna touch it, the worst will be...
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Terrible idea. Department heads provide a second set of assignments for a sector.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Terrible idea. Department heads provide a second set of assignments for a sector.

Guys, guys, guys...im not wsaying remove the doff missions the provide but move the lists to under current map and personal. Better workflow that way

• Options
    jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yes. they should go. As a new player, I often get lost in the Dept. Head UI and can't find my way out. I also have limited hard drive space and fear the Dept. Head part of doffing is taking up too much space on my local drive. Thus, It has got to go.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,028 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    I like the Department Heads, as they add more DOff assignments to choose from. Although Security and Tactical are kinda redundant since both have the same Espionage assignments. I do like that they moved the Department Heads button to be with the Sector and Personal buttons for easier access than in the previous UI. Also... Department Heads to make sense, as you're a Captain. They cover specific fields and come up with assignments for the Captain to consider.

In a way its not just a DOff thing, its imersion.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Only thing I would change about Department Heads is actually assigning the Department Head positions, because they do nothing.

But the access to the secondary DOFF missions should not be touched.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I find most of the higher paying missions under department heads so leave it alone no more taking stuff out the game please we need stuff adding.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Guys, guys, guys...im not wsaying remove the doff missions the provide but move the lists to under current map and personal. Better workflow that way

In theory I like the idea.

In reality we are still missing several old doff missions from the colonial clusters because you cannot use department heads with them. Such as the 6h 'raid X' KDF missions.

I don't want to loose any more of the good doff missions. Nor do I want to be forced to fly to twenty different locations to find good doff missions.
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    edited post.... nothing to see here.
    There is no current point to department heads...not even for RP. And to have all their doff missions funneled into current map/personal would be fan-flipping-tastic.

Cheers and thank you for reading/possible consideration

Jesus wept no, the game is already constantly in danger of having all the "flavour" drained out of it and made more and more bland and generic, and more clickie-throughey.

The end result of where you're going is this, but with spaceships.

I appointed my effing department heads for good reasons, I like them and I trust them because we've been through a lot together.
  • Options
    greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    as far as I remember, they've just moved the Department Heads tab from the top of the interface to the side of the interface. same number of clicks as before...

I think I might like to see the missions all under the department headsbut then I'd like to see more department heads so that things like science and exploration are two different departments, tactical would be just military, espionage under intelligence... etc.

Oops, you're right I was mistaken. In that case I withdraw my support, as it is they help to categorize the barrage of missions we're given. As others have said, less fits on my screen, with too many details up front, we'd scroll endlessly if it was all in current.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Man, there are some dense people on the forums.

Here's a scenario...

Picture the medical department head and the current populated list.

Now imagine a new sub category on the "current map" window named "medical."

This new subcategory named "medical" has all the doffing assignments that the department head would of had. And the medical department head is now gone

Now imagine the same thing happening to the rest of the department heads and their lists...

If department heads truly reset faster (i thought each assignment had its own cd) then i can see the con of the idea.

What is so wrong about removing steps to streamline doffing?

Being on current map/personal and opening the replicator doesn't cause a the window to close and you dont need to cycle through the heads anymore...because they would all be on the current map

There are people that actually have sentimental value as assigning a portrait to a "department head" slot? it doesn't do anything besides unlock the missions

Sorry for not stating the whole encompassing idea...

Let's write the idea off as a failure

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There is no current point to department heads...not even for RP.
    I don't understand... why not suggest actually adding a point to them instead of removing them?
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    no there is a RP point to them they are the department heads i assigned.

the first officer? that is the First officer i RP it is also the first Boff that character got way back int he old tutorial where you had a choice of your first boff. she is also based on an old pen and paper star trek RPG we ran (all my Boffs are)

so on and so forth i use it to keep track of who i have assigned as my department heads form character to character just because you see no point does not mean it is the same for all
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited July 2014

/agree......
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Let's write the idea off as a failure

Let's.

/10 characters
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited July 2014

People need to be able to exaggerate their problems with the new system. Otherwise it wont look so bad to everyone else.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's currently the best way to find assignments in certain categories that efficiently grant CXP when you're trying to focus on one commendation.

The way the DOFF system works (or worked), pushing all of the assignments into one list would actually make it less likely that the assignment you want will pop up.

That said, I wish Dept Heads had more functionality, not less.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As bluegeek said I would like to see more functionality in the department heads.
    As it stands I am happy with the current department head system in how it gets me to the project lists that I want though.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I don't understand... why not suggest actually adding a point to them instead of removing them?

I know right?