What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you pay for new content?

Comments

• Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    if it meant content and not what has been put out for the past 2 years yes i would pay
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited July 2014
    Would pay very happily. It is much better than being nickel and dimed ... and having this shameless cash grabbing thing they call crafting.

I never understood why MMOs don't try the serialization approach. Release quarterly installments which advance the story. If it is high quality content then I am sure there would be plenty of people who pay assuming it was reasonable (like $20-$30 per quarter or so).
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Depends on the content. I' not paying money for lock boxes and Rep grind.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    ladyinferno2010ladyinferno2010 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've already bought a Lifetime Sub and a Legacy Pack for LoR. And the occasional Zen here and there for Duty Officer slots before I had the LTS...and a few ships. And uniforms.

I'd have to seriously consider paying anything further.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not paying anything, as long as people are in charge at cryptic who insult their customers.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    vendahra wrote: »
    People seem to be starved for new content, new space to explore, new missions to play, etc.

If Cryptic were to develop a new sector, with say a dozen systems and a couple dozen missions, but you had to buy an unlock that say costs 2,000 zen or so, would you do it?

I know would spend the equivilent cost of a c-store ship for new content.

At one point, I probably would've. But now, I can't even trust them to do good with that money. I get the impression they would turn it around on us to develop more lockbox and money sinks.
  • Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    Not paying anything, as long as people are in charge at cryptic who insult their customers.

Rivera is stuck between a company that wants everything for nothing (endless grinds that we have to pay tons of real money to get done in less than forever, and no real story or content), and a playerbase that want everything for nothing (all content for free or earned in-game, with complaints about all of it).

If the dude doesn't have an honest-to-Sulu ulcer by now, I'd be very surprised.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    adwynyth wrote: »
    Rivera is stuck between a company that wants everything for nothing (endless grinds that we have to pay tons of real money to get done in less than forever, and no real story or content), and a playerbase that want everything for nothing (all content for free or earned in-game, with complaints about all of it).

If the dude doesn't have an honest-to-Sulu ulcer by now, I'd be very surprised.
    To be blunt, that's his problem not ours. If his job is too much for him, he should look for something else.
    His honesty only shows his opinion about us, but that's not the point.
    I criticise his mind-set towards us, not his honesty

So if honest or not, i don't like being insulted. As long as he's in charge or someone who has the same opinion about the customers, they won't see any money from me again.period.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Rivera insulted people?
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    stofsk wrote: »
    Rivera insulted people?

You don't use twitter, do you?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If Cryptic were to develop a new sector, with say a dozen systems and a couple dozen missions, but you had to buy an unlock that say costs 2,000 zen or so, would you do it?.

Hell, I'd pay anyone to keep the forums and the in game channels whinger free. New content, therefore, goes without saying.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    New Sectors: no
    New Playable Race/Faction: Absolutely! (Well... no for Vidiian, Malon and Cabbage People)
    New Ships: depends (C-store more likely than Lockbox)

And Crafting: Never!
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    You don't use twitter, do you?
    Good guess.

So what did he say? Or anyone got a link?
  • Options
    dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My wallet is locked until personnel changes are made at cryptic.
  • Options
    dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Good guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYsw_GYP8Ok&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    firefox3178firefox3178 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dessniper wrote: »
    My wallet is locked until personnel changes are made at cryptic.

This x1000
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cryptic: If you think the bugs are bad, wait until you see our fixes!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    People seem to be starved for new content, new space to explore, new missions to play, etc.

If Cryptic were to develop a new sector, with say a dozen systems and a couple dozen missions, but you had to buy an unlock that say costs 2,000 zen or so, would you do it?

No, and the reason for that is that ship has sailed.

I was a P2P player back then, with a retail version, subscripton and everything. The development went into a direction however I do not support, so since F2P I haven't spent money and I probably never will unless the game completely turns around.

The removal of the Exploration system was the final nail, so to speak. If they had revamped the Exploration system and STO would feature a rogulike/lite element with random drops, randomly generated missions and maps that are worth something I would have paid for "Exploration Expansion" sets, expanding this kind of gameplay. But I'm not paying for whatever they come up these days.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Anyone who has spent any money on this game has already paid for new content. We're just not seeing the right kind of content being delivered.
  • Options
    antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014

You (in general terms) are already paying for new content. I'm not paying extra on top for the devs to do their damn jobs...
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We already pay for new content via all currently provided ways to spend money onto the game. Cryptic just refuses to deliver anything more than new lockboxes and a new grind every now and then. And I don't see cryptic changing their business habits to a degree to make pay for content work.

If people were actually serious about all the whining that goes on on these forums. And people who dont actually participate on the forums join them. I can guarantee one of two things happening. Cryptic changing business habits, or going out of business.

But that wont happen. Because the amount of whining on these forums hasnt changed one bit. The only thing I see differently here now is that those who feverishly defended Cryptic over the years and by doing so chased off all the people who did complain...have hence become the complainers themselves.

If those they chased off before were expendable. What makes anyone here think theyre safe? That theyre valued or needed?

I can promise you. Every person that frequents these forums, who pay out any bit of money, could stop playing and paying tomorrow. And Cryptic wouldnt blink an eye.
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Probably yes in an instant
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've already paid for things that don't work properly, so no, I probably wouldn't. Not unless we could test it before buying anyway.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Good guess.

Theres the link below... Ironically, last time I quoted him, the thread was deleted and I recived a warning...

So´... Won't be doing that again.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Theres the link below... Ironically, last time I quoted him, the thread was deleted and I recived a warning...

Yea, been there myself with that infamous "grinding rabbits" quote. The PWE reps will do anything to keep Cryptic from looking bad, even if it means resorting to revisionist history.

Player: "But here is a link to an interview he did and another link to a video!"

PWE Forum guy: "Nope, never happened. False quote. Thread deletion and warning."

The people involved with STO don't believe in owning something they've said or done.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    ogremindesogremindes Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Before I was a sub I'd say yes, assuming it would be account unlocked. Now I'm a sub, I'd be pretty ticked off if they were to offer me that, but free for gold, purchase for silver would be fine to my mind.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014

No. I already played this game when it was in a paid subscription format. And they didn't put content out then either.

I've already played Champions Online when they put forth the idea of paying for Vibora Bay.

Sorry but I've been down this road before.

Won't pay them to actually do their jobs when I already paid them to do their jobs and they failed at doing their jobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014

dessniper wrote: »
    Can you guys tell me when in the video he says whatever he says, because I don't really feel like listening to a 3hr interview.

Or PM me if you guys prefer that.
  • Options
    gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Yeah definitely. And it's interesting that TSW seems to be flourishing using this route. Same deal, they went f2p after initial subs, things looked dodgy for a while (the company had financial and legal problems too), but now TSW is looking fairly healthy, because they've fulfilled their promise of new content, and even though it's DLC, people are paying for it, because it's good content, and it brings a few new toys, etc.

But then of course, it was content that had long been planned for the game, and probably had a lot of its assets and stuff done while Funcom still had a big team. Who knows if they'll be able to keep up the pace with a smaller team?

But it's a thought, and I think many players of STO are serious enough about STO staying classy that they would pay for new story content, episode content, whatever.

Cryptic are pretty good at story when they get their arses into gear, I'm sure we'd all like to see more.